The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game thoughts: Week 4, Dolphins at Bengals

+4
HalCHorn
DolFan 316
JEGnj
JMP
8 posters

Go down

Game thoughts: Week 4, Dolphins at Bengals Empty Game thoughts: Week 4, Dolphins at Bengals

Post by JMP Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:28 pm

The undefeated Dolphins went to Cincinnati for a prime time matchup, and it ended in total disaster. Tua suffered a potentially serious injury, the defense gave up a bunch of huge plays, and Teddy Bridgewater threw the game away.

The Dolphins hung in there as long as they could after Tua’s injury, but ultimately they made too many mistakes and gave the game away, blowing a short-lived 15-14 lead in the 4th quarter.

Tua suffered what looked like a very serious head/neck injury on a play where he held the ball too long and took a brutal sack. He lay on the ground with his hands curled up like claws, and had to be taken off the field in a stretcher. He was taken to a trauma center, and though he does have feeling and movement in his extremities and will return to Miami tonight, I have a feeling this is a long-term injury. My prayers go out to Tua and his family.

Bridgewater came in and made some nice plays, most notably a gorgeous 65-yard bomb To Tyreek Hill – after which the team failed to put the ball in the endzone. But later in the 4th quarter, with the team down by 5 points, Raheem Mostert had a few nice runs to get Miami into the redzone, where Bridgewater threw an awful INT with 3 minutes left.

The defense served up another ‘bend but don’t break’ effort, but ultimately gave up way too many big plays and generated no pressure against a bad Bengals’ OL. Xavien Howard played injured and got toasted all night, and when he left the game late his backups promptly got toasted. The Dolphins’ secondary – once thought to be a strength – has turned into a weakness. The lack of pressure on the QB certainly doesn’t help, but Coach Boyer’s strange scheme of aggressive pass rush combined with soft coverage just isn’t working well enough.

Anyway, I’m disgusted by the loss and sick to my stomach with the Tua injury. Even though the Phins are 3-1, it seems like the season is on the brink. Hard to win with no QB and no secondary. We’ll see how the team responds in 10 days in a tough division matchup at the Jets.

Hero of the Game: I guess Tyreek Hill, who had the quietest 10 catch, 160 yard night you’ll ever see.

Goat of the Game: The pass defense – no pass rush, no coverage. Just awful.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Game thoughts: Week 4, Dolphins at Bengals Empty Re: Game thoughts: Week 4, Dolphins at Bengals

Post by JMP Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:33 pm

I could easily have put Bridgewater as the Goat, and I certainly considered it, but ultimately I had to go with the pass D. I'm just sick of seeing multiple 40+ yard completions week after week.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Game thoughts: Week 4, Dolphins at Bengals Empty Re: Game thoughts: Week 4, Dolphins at Bengals

Post by JEGnj Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:48 pm

What a brutal 3 hours.
8:15 we were 3-0 and on the highest of highs and now we lost our QB, back up QB sucks, Kicker sucks, D sucks, and our rookie HC is going to be faced with adversity.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:49 pm

and someone needs to tell Boyer the field is 100 yards not 2.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:02 am

All we'll hear about now is how awful the evil Dolphins are for letting Tua play last week. I expect heavy fines and loss of draft picks. This is going to be a disaster.

And to top it off, now we need to draft a QB in round one and restart the whole process again. It's a nightmare.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:47 am

JMP wrote:All we'll hear about now is how awful the evil Dolphins are for letting Tua play last week. I expect heavy fines and loss of draft picks. This is going to be a disaster.

Because he got hurt again? How can this new injury be retroactively applied to something that was already going to be investigated days ago?  scratch

And to top it off, now we need to draft a QB in round one and restart the whole process again.  It's a nightmare.

Is Tua's injury CAREER-ENDING now??? Shocked affraid How can we know that so soon???

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:22 am

https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=34693431

Woody: I was 'visibly shaken' over Tua injury Damien Woody shares his thoughts on the injury that Tua Tagovailoa sustained vs. the Bengals and possible actions that the NFL may take.

Your state just got hit by the most severe hurricane in years? Your starting QB just got stretchered off? Why, now would be the PERFECT time for us to dock you all picks from your next 2 drafts and label you as the worst cheating NFL team of all time!

If that actually happens not only would it be the single most vile, disgusting thing the NFL has ever done--with the media pretty much ordering them to--but it would likely cause me to permanently disassociate myself from the NFL and the Fins altogether. What would even be the point of caring after that? I'd REALLY hate to lose you guys, I'd try and figure something out to keep that from happening, but when is enough finally enough?

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:21 am

The last INT looked like a route miscommunication between Gesicki and Bridgewater. Worst timing for it, but those little details just went the other way this week.

Tua should be fine, though I would not expect him back until the Steelers game. I guess it's possible he could be back for Minnesota, but I'd expect extreme caution due to the backlash. Ten days' rest, we should be fine for the Jets with Teddy. He will be perfectly capable of beating the Jets. If he isn't, then we just might see what we have with Skylar under the bright lights.

HalCHorn

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:48 am

Obviously the first and foremost concern is for Tua’s health, not as a football player but as a human being. That really looked awful.

The game was about missed opportunities. Dropped passes (especially Edmunds in the endzone), blocked FG, interceptions, unconverted short yardage plays and inability to punch in TDs in the redzone. The Dolphins could very well have won this game, but like we’ve all become too accustom to in the past, they didn’t. The Dolphins were the beneficiaries of some of these bad bounces and took advantage of slim opportunities over the first three games and perhaps in this game it finally caught up with them. However, there were things that are clear and obvious and were present even in the winning streak. These things will need to be fixed in order for this team to take the next step.

No pass rush. Burrow is one of, if not the most, sacked QB behind a pathetic o-line – and Miami could do nothing to make him uncomfortable. How does Ogbah play the most snaps of any DE on the roster and not even appear on the defensive stat sheet for the game – not one tackle, not one pressure, much less a sack (didn’t he get paid in the offseason). I guess there is a reason why Boyer must always send those cover-zero exotic blitzes…cause Miami is unable to mount any pressure with just the standard pass rush. So once those blitzes get decoded and defeated with quick passes, the Phins D is toothless.

OT weakness. Now compare this lack of Phins base pass rush to the constant bullrush of Cincy DEs Hendrickson and Hubbard. How many times did we see them powering their way through both Armstead and Little.

Inconsistent run game. Quite often Miami would reel of a nice long run only to follow it up with the inability to gain a yard or two on the ground (especially in the redzone). Odd how their LBers were moving to the exact gap even before the RB had the ball. Its almost as if Cincy knew the Phins short yardage packages…hmm, which is exactly the plays that were filmed in the walk-through at UofCinn before McDaniel realized they were being watched and resorted to fake plays. But the real plays were already filmed – there is a reason why the Dolphins asked that website to take down the videos (even though they refused). You know, this all happened at the UofCinn – the very same university where Bengals HC Zac Taylor was a coach in 2016. But sure NFL, the Bengals had nothing to do with it and would’ve never used connections in the video department to secretly film the Dolphins.

X Howard. Once again, another team targeted the former-shutdown, oft-injured CB. Its hard to blame Howard. Afterall, Father Time is undefeated. Howard is still a very good player when healthy, but I fear his elite years are behind him (and groins tend to linger for a while). Just another position to add to the wish list. Too bad the Phins didn’t draft his replacement…oh wait, Iggy…nevermind.

Positives. Mostert did have some runs. Edmunds gave great effort on the shovel pass TD. Bridgewater’s long ball to Tyreek was amazing (lets hope to see more). Tua put an incredible ball on Gesicki and otherwise made some really nice throws (the long duck interception nothwithstanding). The D was fairly solid against the run. And despite all the shooting themselves in the foot and very leaky pass defense, the Dolphins were still within reach of winning this game until about 2 to 3 minutes left.

I said earlier in the week to take this thing one game at a time and I’m not going to change that now. I am not going to speculate on Tua or how the rest of the season might go. Yes, I’m worried and concerned, but all this time we’ve been saying there is something different and confident about McDaniel. I don’t believe he’ll wilt and shit, they still got Tyreek!! The Phins are 3-1 and play the Jets next – the perfect team against which to cure all those above ills.

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:05 pm

Goat of the Game: The pass defense – no pass rush, no coverage. Just awful.

The wins and red zone stops had me glossing over but I'll say it again now: I HATE this defense. Too many wide open receivers and zero pass rush without a blitz, which is now getting easily beaten by QBs who will simply throw to the man behind the blitz.

We've actually kind of "solved" the problem we had last season stopping the run, but that's little solace when we're on pace to give up about 28 points per game.

Clearly, Flores was the mind behind "scheme rush", and now that that's gone Boyer is overmatched. It's not that he's "bad" per se, but the offensive coordinator on the other team is outwitting him for the most part. And we have too much talent on that side of the ball to let that happen.

The running game is "kind of" coming... in fits and starts. McDaniel needs to turn that into a big strength, because we will desperately need it with Teddy starting for at least a few weeks. Armstead played just awful. Little not much better.

I would have been thrilled if you told me before the season we would get through this stretch 3-1. My guess would have been we lost to Buffalo, and losing to Cincy is better because we are 2-0 in the AFC East.

But if you showed me the defensive stats... ugh. I was worried about Boyer without Flores, then concerned, and now I'm smashing the panic button about that side of the ball. You can't win shootouts every week, at some point they have to show up.

Beat the Jets and we can pull out of it. We lose that game... oh boy.

McDaniel facing adversity? I think he'll be fine, but he has to show us. Head coaches that can't handle adversity don't last...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:11 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:How can this new injury be retroactively applied to something that was already going to be investigated days ago?

Because everyone is apparently a medical excpert and knows everything about what happened to Tua in the Bills game. The media is running with this story like the Dolphins blew up a bus full of children. The NFLPA is out for blood, and they are looking to nail the Dolphins. It's all bullshit, because the Dolphins cannot make any decisions regarding a player's health - that is all up to doctors, and in this case both a team doctor and an independent doctor cleared Tua to play and did not find a concussion. Tua was NEVER in the league's concussion protocol. This isn't a Dolphin issue at all, but everyone will make it one.

DolFan 316 wrote:Is Tua's injury CAREER-ENDING now??? Shocked affraid How can we know that so soon???

The issue isn't that it is career-ending immediately - it is what happens in the future. After a concussion like that, Tua will now be prone to further concussions, and it will become an issue every single time he takes a hit. Barring a miracle, it is difficult to imagine Tua having a long career after this concussion. He had taken enough of a beating in his short career before this, but adding a concussion makes it a very serious situation, and his long-term health must be considered. I do not see how the Dolphins can move forward after this season without a contingency plan, and at this point I'm not sure they can or should even keep Tua when his contract is up. This was a serious injury and the future for Tua and the team must be given a long, hard look.

I don't hear anyone else talking about this, but it is absolutely something the team must address. In the next draft, there is a chance we'll have a high draft pick courtesy of the 49ers, and it is potentially a QB-rich class. We'll see how it all plays out, but as of today I would absolutely look to use that 1st round pick on a QB. That concussion changes everything for me.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:14 pm

I do not see how the Dolphins can move forward after this season without a contingency plan, and at this point I'm not sure they can or should even keep Tua when his contract is up. This was a serious injury and the future for Tua and the team must be given a long, hard look.

I don't hear anyone else talking about this, but it is absolutely something the team must address. In the next draft, there is a chance we'll have a high draft pick courtesy of the 49ers, and it is potentially a QB-rich class. We'll see how it all plays out, but as of today I would absolutely look to use that 1st round pick on a QB. That concussion changes everything for me.

It's a great point, and I have even having the discussion but you're absolutely right.

Fins luck continues, we had our franchise QB... for 3 games.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:26 pm

Obviously, yes, primary concern is for Tua as a person.

Weird to see the same reporters who have been bashing him for 3 years suddenly "concerned for his health, he's such a dynamic player, blah blah". Yeah, you same guys were saying he was soft and wondering why we wouldn't mortgage the future for Mr. Handjob from Houston....sheesh.

Just hypothetically:
If we need to draft another QB to complete with Skylar (who absolutely deserves that chance, he's shown enough promise) I'd want to first look at Wil Levis.

But as of right now, hoping Tua is back and makes a lot of people eat their words in a few weeks. And seeing the issues with Howard and Jones right now leads me to think of CB as the primary need with another edge rusher and/or LB second.

HalCHorn

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:01 pm

And seeing the issues with Howard and Jones right now leads me to think of CB as the primary need with another edge rusher and/or LB second.

I'm encouraged by what I've seen from Kohou. May have found a good one there. I would absolutely take a pass rusher - DL or OLB.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:42 pm

White, I give you credit: you've been all over Boyer's defense since day 1.

Here's the problem I see this season, as I mentioned in the game thoughts above: Boyer is calling aggressive blitzes on almost 50% of plays, while playing soft coverage on the outside. The problem that creates is obvious: if the pass rush doesn't get to the QB, the QB can simply toss an uncontested pass to a wide open receiver for an easy first down - simple pitch and catch. It has happened over and over and over again this season. I get that Boyer doesn't want to give up big plays, but the result of this sort coverage is...too many big plays allowed! Simply stated: IT ISN'T WORKING!! You can't be aggressive up-front and then give receivers a 10+ yard cushion on the outside...you just can't.

I'm sure part of the reasoning is that X is banged up and Byron Jones is out. But clearly, this plan is not working. We're not giving up a lot of points (yet), but we are giving up tons of big plays and getting slammed in time of possession and field position - which hurts the entire team.

No matter how much we blitz, the pass rush has been inconsistent at best and non-existent at worst. Ogbah and Allen have gotten some pressures, but generally too late to matter. The safety blitzes that worked so well last season aren't working this season. It seems to me that Baker - a great blitzer - has actually not been blitzing much. Again - it isn't working. Time to change things up before it is too late to matter.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:56 pm

Thx JMP and I will add to your thoughts.

Yes we beat Baltimore. But in the first half they kicked our ass with a backup secondary. Buffalo can say the same thing. They limited our explosive attack while missing several starters.

Our defense does not appear to have that resilience. And I think the talent is there. But our scheme quickly falls apart when either Jones our Howard can’t play. This cannot happen.

We have to have better coaching on that side of the ball. I am firmly entrenched in my beliefs we are getting less than we should out of the talent we have. It starts with Boyer but extends to his entire staff.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:36 pm

HalCHorn wrote:Obviously, yes, primary concern is for Tua as a person.  

Weird to see the same reporters who have been bashing him for 3 years suddenly "concerned for his health, he's such a dynamic player, blah blah".  Yeah, you same guys were saying he was soft and wondering why we wouldn't mortgage the future for Mr. Handjob from Houston....sheesh.

Yeah, they're all so "concerned" about Tua that not a one of them has said a damn thing about punishing the player who actually injured him, because apparently slamming QBs on their head and neck is perfectly fine, and it's the team who has the injured QB who must be held fully responsible Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes BTW was Milano even fined for his shove that started this whole mess to begin with? Just more of the same from the media--using someone's misfortune to advance an agenda while pretending to really care about the people involved when the CLEARLY do not. I guarantee you a lot of them were ROOTING for Tua to be hurt just so they could say, "AHA!!! I TOLD you the Dolphins were evil and needed to be punished!!!" I'm completely serious.  

Just like nobody's saying anything about the Bengals' practice spying, except to blame the FINS for having it in such a public area where anyone could see. Yes, this is actually what people are saying--the same ones who think McDaniel is now Hitler.

Too depressed to think about the D now except that I too was expressing concerns about it, even as far back as when McDaniel was hired. It's Head Coaching 101 actually, anytime an offensive/defensive oriented coach takes over the head position, the other side of the ball experiences a dropoff that's often severe. Offensive head coaches have been able to get around this by hiring top of the line DCs, but Boyer's not that.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:56 am

I'm Trying to Find the Picture of Bell 2nd Interception that hit the Turf that for some reason was never reviewed. I saw the Picture.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:52 pm

finskev wrote:I'm Trying to Find the Picture of Bell 2nd Interception that hit the Turf that for some reason was never reviewed. I saw the Picture.

Yep. And how about the Edmonds first down that was mysteriously spotted a yard before the first down (and leading to a punt)? Or the 2-3 other times the refs spotted the ball at least a yard or two forward for the Bengals? And of course, no personal foul on the Tua bodyslam...if that was Brady the guy would have been kicked out of the game. I'm watching these things just saying "what the hell am I seeing???" Really bad officiating.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 and finskev like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:45 pm

I have the utmost respect or Tua the person, how he handles himself, how keeps things private and is a team first guy.

The Media has destroyed this kid on the field. We all know he can play. Some believe more than others. Others follow the team more than the player and thats okay too. But the media started to destroy him the minute he broke his hip. It was breadcrumb here and there. It was very minor in the beginning, compound that with his own coach believing the media. All big problems never ever ever start out big. They all start small. The ilttle things that the media conspired destroyed this kids ability on the football field.

Off the field Tua hanlded himself remarkably. He did all the things necessary to be a captain, a team first guy. Really didn't let things rattle him.

On the field, it's a different story. The media IMHO, got to him. All the things said about him got to him. He tried to make plays when plays were simply not there. I think that in his mind he needed to make something out of nothing to quiet them. I think its more evident when we see him hold on to the ball. I think in those defining moments, in his head, he's telling himself, "I make this play and they can STFU". If he plays again watch his reaction to a suspect play that turned out positive. His reaction is different than on a play where hit the right guy at the right moment. Go back and look at the first three games. Let me know what you think
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:34 am

Great post, Umix.

I actually think the "must make a play at all costs" mentality is just how Tua is - he was like that at Alabama too, which contributed to the hip injury where he held the ball too long as well on that play. I think it's just who he is. I'm sure he hears some of the media BS, but ultimately I just think he is always trying to make a play.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down