The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Justin Herbert

+3
rightchea
finfanatic
CarsonChris
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Justin Herbert  Empty Justin Herbert

Post by CarsonChris Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:56 am

I was reading an article on Justin and liked this part of it. From https://theathletic.com/364533/2018/05/24/justin-herbert-oregon-football-quarterback-development-nfl-prospect/ “As Herbert emerges as a more vocal presence in the locker room, weight room and huddle, he remains understated away from football. He’s the rare college player these days who is not on social media. He has no Twitter account, no Instagram or Snapchat, he says. He also — probably not so coincidentally — has no sense of entitlement.”

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Justin Herbert  Empty Re: Justin Herbert

Post by finfanatic Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:38 pm

I like Hebert. He seems to have fairly good instincts. A cannon for an arm is useless if the guy cannot aim it, and most importantly, doesn't know where to aim it, and when to pull the trigger...er...light the fuse...er... (sorry to mix metaphors there...)

Just not real sure of his arm? is it NFL caliber?

Anybody watched a lot of his games?
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:45 pm

His arm talent is the best in this years draft. He had a near 70% completion percentage. He didn’t have good receivers at Oregon. Converted corner, QB to throw to. His team mates love him. First QB to start as a freshman at Oregon in 33 years.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:48 pm

He didn't have a good OL either. One of the worst within the top 10 from what I have seen. I not sure if he is a reach at 5 but if Miami could get him at 18 then I would be okay with that. I would also find a raw QB in one of the later rounds to back him up.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:50 pm

Herbert has a cannon for an arm - probably the strongest arm in this class. That isn't an issue at all.

The issue with Herbert is he's wildly inconsistent. He goes from total stud to total loser in the blink of an eye. All the talent in the world, and supposedly he's super-smart, but his accuracy is all over the place and he makes a lot of bone-headed plays. There have also been a lot of questions about his leadership ability.

He will certainly benefit from NFL coaching, and his skillset is as good as it gets. I just don't know if he has what it takes to be a champion. He reminds me of Matt Stafford - he's got that type of talent, but I just don't see him as a winner.

I wouldn't be upset if the Phins drafted him, but I fear he's not going to be the answer.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:11 pm

The offseason interviews with NFL teams are going to be extremely important for Herbert. A lot of people are not sold on his leadership ability, and he's going to have to convince teams that it's not a concern.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:52 pm

They had us taking him #1 over all before last season. Would rather have any big QB over Tua.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:42 pm

I think he’s the equivalent of Eli Manning/Phillip Rivers. With the right coaching I think he can be great.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:57 pm

CarsonChris wrote:I think he’s the equivalent of Eli Manning/Phillip Rivers. With the right coaching I think he can be great.

Herbert certainly has the talent to be great. But I still see Stafford when I look at him...a guy that puts up huge numbers but never actually takes his team anywhere.

Again, I think his interviews will determine how high he goes. He's going to knock it out of the park with offseason workouts and measureables. Just needs to prove that he's got the intangibles as well.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:21 pm

No no no no NO!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Is 64% "near 70%"? Because that's Herbert's four-year completion percentage. This season it wasn't quite 67%.

And don't let his out of nowhere running spree in the Rose Bowl fool you--coming into that game Herbert had just 21 yards rushing and one score for the season and never even managed 200 yards rushing in a season despite being a four-year starter. He's no Lamar Jackson.

It's all right here, folks. And you can use this site to compare him to other college QBs too if you want.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/justin-herbert-1.html

Joey Harrington was a major bust. Marcus Mariota is a mediocre bust. There's absolutely no indication to me that Herbert will be the first Oregon QB since Dan Fouts to be an NFL success. All I've ever seen is someone who throws those sideways RPO passes or almost never throws more than 5 yards downfield and gets literally carried by his running game. If not for a defensive score, Oregon doesn't even win the Rose Bowl! IMO Herbert is the epitome of the dreaded System QB.

And you guys know my Bust Sense is never EVER wrong...

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:09 pm

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:15 pm

Justin Hebert has had 3 head coaches at Oregon. System, what system. He performed in an unstable environment

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:55 pm

If not Tua, the Phins MUST draft either Herbert, Love or Fromm. That's where I'm at as of now. We have to try to find a QB, and those are the top guys after Burrow. All 3 have questions and need time to develop. And that's ok because we have Fitz, so a rookie can sit for a year if need be.

I'm not necessarily high on any of the three...they all have things I like, and things I don't. But with all 3, there is upside and there are tools to work with.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:17 am

For the love of God Grier, at LEAST trade down from #5 before taking a surefire QB bust!!! At this point I'm afraid that's the best I can ask or hope for Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:39 am

DolFan 316 wrote:For the love of God Grier, at LEAST trade down from #5 before taking a surefire QB bust!!! At this point I'm afraid that's the best I can ask or hope for Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I could definitely see a trade down from 5. Maybe then the Phins draft Love or Fromm with their last 1st rounder or first 2nd rounder???

If nothing else, we have tremendous flexibility in the draft with all these picks, and can afford to take a flyer on a QB pretty much anywhere.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:52 am

Well, I suspect, unless the Phins GM and HC are super sold on a QB prospect, Grier is not gonna want to OVERDRAFT a QB. Remember, he traded down in the 2nd before trading that lower pick to AZ for Rosen. IIRC??

This might be the season to go for a developmental QB, someone who can sit behind Fitz for a year or two, and go after a QB next year, Maybe.

I don't think I ever heard anyone on the Phins say the Phins HAD to draft a QB in the 1st round this year. Er...I mean other than some Phans.

I would rather get a superstud starter at another position and go into next year with Fitz at QB then draft a Bust at QB.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:11 pm

Herbert was a last minute edition to Oregon. He came in and earned the starting position. I expect him to do the same thing if he’s drafted by Miami. Flores puts people in that deserve to start. If he sits then I trust Flores to get him in when ready. This is the reason why we have Fitzpatrick!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:07 pm

finfanatic wrote:

I don't think I ever heard anyone on the Phins say the Phins HAD to draft a QB in the 1st round this year. Er...I mean other than some Phans.

I would rather get a superstud starter at another position and go into next year with Fitz at QB then draft a Bust at QB.

Have you been following this team for the last few decades, FF??? I know you have...so you know that the Phins NEED a QB more than anything else! Yes, Miami almost certainly MUST draft a QB high in 2020...because you can't go into another season with Ryan Fitzpatrick, Josh Rosen and a low-ceiling career clipboard holder. That would be a disaster, just like it was this year when we had one of the league's worst offenses. Yes, Fitz is a great placeholder for now and I love the guy, but we need an ANSWER. Can't keep treading water and hope things work out - you have to go for the gold!!

Take a shot - if you take Herbert or Love and they bust, move on and try again. Superstud starters at other positions aren't enough...see Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas, Cam Wake, etc. You NEED the QB.

Herbert, Love and even Fromm strengthen the Dolphins QB room...there shouldn't be any doubt about that. Could they bust? Maybe. Could they be stars? Maybe. We won't know unless we roll the dice.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:46 pm

I'm glad at least FF is on my side in this cheers cheers cheers

Love being a top 5 pick is sheer insanity. Don't be that team, Dolphins!!!

Just be careful what you wish for, fellas...

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:55 pm

I not seeing bust when it comes to Herbert but i think he is a reach at 5. I would trade down before going after him. if necessary miami could away wait for next year

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:16 pm

If Daniel Jones went # 6, Mitch Trubisky went # 2, and Josh Allen went # 7, then Herbert and Love being top-10 picks is certainly not out of the question.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:36 pm

I trust Miami’s coaching to put the best players on the field at the right time. I don’t trust Grier making the picks

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:34 am

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:44 am

DolFan 316 wrote:I'm glad at least FF is on my side in this cheers cheers cheers

Love is definitely a third maybe fourth round pick. I mean Utah state but then again Josh Allen went to Wyoming so I guess your college doesn't matter. Love is undeveloped and would be a great Matt Moore IMO.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:24 am

rightchea wrote:
DolFan 316 wrote:I'm glad at least FF is on my side in this cheers cheers cheers

Love is definitely a third maybe fourth round pick. I mean Utah state but then again Josh Allen went to Wyoming so I guess your college doesn't matter. Love is undeveloped and would be a great Matt Moore IMO.

Love has more talent in his pinky finger than Matt Moore ever did. That is a really poor comparison.

Love is a better prospect than Mitch Trubisky (UNC), Daniel Jones (Duke) and Josh Allen (Wyoming) were, and they all went top 10 in recent years despite going to schools that aren't college powerhouses. I'm not banging the table to take Love at 5, I'm just saying he could very well be a top 10 pick - and probably will be after the pre-draft games, workouts and interviews.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next