The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DC Graham and QB Coach Schuplinski to Giants

+2
DolFan 316
mercury22nathan
6 posters

Go down

DC Graham and QB Coach Schuplinski to Giants Empty DC Graham and QB Coach Schuplinski to Giants

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:58 am

That’s because the New York Giants hired Patrick Graham, who ran Miami’s defense in 2019 to same position the Miami Herald has confirmed.

Graham landed a new job even though his Dolphins defense ranked last in points (30.9 per game) and 30th in yards allowed (397.Cool last year. He led one of the league’s worst pass rushes, with the Dolphins managing just 23 sacks in 2019, the fewest in the league.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article239223478.html

this might be a blessing in disguise.

The Dolphins will not be conducting a search for a new defensive coordinator. The plan is to promote cornerbacks and defensive pass game coordinator Josh Boyer to the position.

keeping things consistent, the Phins will run the same system with this in-house promotion.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

DC Graham and QB Coach Schuplinski to Giants Empty Re: DC Graham and QB Coach Schuplinski to Giants

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:20 am

I always thought he should've been the coordinator who was fired to begin with instead of O'Shea. The offense was significantly better than the D the past few games IMO. In fact according to Football Outsiders, this Fins D was one of the worst of the last 30 years! Why was Graham even available for the Giants to poach?

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

DC Graham and QB Coach Schuplinski to Giants Empty Re: DC Graham and QB Coach Schuplinski to Giants

Post by JMP Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:42 am

Graham was given permission to interview with the Giants by the Phins...which tells me Flores didn't really consider it a loss.

I'm totally fine with this. The only part of our defense that was truly impressive was the play of the unknown CBs. So now the guy that coached them gets a promotion? Good - totally on-board. Hopefully Boyer can figure out how to pressure the QB...Graham sure couldn't.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:33 pm

I not disappointed that Graham left at all. Miami needs a DC that can bring the pain when it comes to opposing offense. I was hoping that Miami could find another DC to come in instead of promoting someone but let see what Boyer has to offer.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:16 pm

Miami had nothing on defense or offense and still won 5 games. Teams are aware of our purge last year. It will be interesting to see when we have some players what we can do.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:05 pm

Updated the thread title to indicate that Phins' QB coach Jerry Schuplinski is also going to the Giants.

The Phins are reportedly signing Robby Brown as the QB coach.  He was a coach with West Virginia last year, and worked with Gailey with the Jets.  Here's is bio from the WVU website:
https://wvusports.com/staff-directory/robby-brown/1701

Aside from looking like Richie Cunningham, his background doesn't seem like anything special.  But then again, the same can be said of most NFL QB coaches.

Last edited by JMP on Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:11 pm

it interesting that Miami is losing/replacing all these coaches. Is Brian Flores an issue or is Brian Flores allowing these guys to go to replace them with better coaches?

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:31 pm

rightchea wrote:it interesting that Miami is losing/replacing all these coaches. Is Brian Flores an issue or is Brian Flores allowing these guys to go to replace them with better coaches?

Brian Flores is making changes to fix all the things that went wrong in 2019. That's a good thing.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:24 pm

JMP wrote:
rightchea wrote:it interesting that Miami is losing/replacing all these coaches. Is Brian Flores an issue or is Brian Flores allowing these guys to go to replace them with better coaches?

Brian Flores is making changes to fix all the things that went wrong in 2019.  That's a good thing.  

This is true. I see nothing wrong with that at all

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:12 pm

Today hiring Steve Marshall for offensive line coach.

I wonder what his reputation is like? All I know is he’s worked with Gailey so this is another hire that knows the offense to be installed
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:26 pm

white1 wrote:Today hiring Steve Marshall for offensive line coach.

I wonder what his reputation is like? All I know is he’s worked with Gailey so this is another hire that knows the offense to be installed

All I know is that Marshall is an old-timer who has been there and back in his 40 years as a coach, NFL and college.

Here's an article that makes it seem like this could be a strong hire:

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article239318848.html#storylink=cpy

In his past six seasons coaching in the NFL, his offensive line units ranked in the top 10 in the league in sacks allowed four times and in the top half of the league five times.

Let's hope he FINALLY gets this OL turned around!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:30 pm

At some point Flores needs to stop adding geezers, though. In 1-2 seasons he'll just have to hire new assistants all over again.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:15 am

is it me or is the Phins offense modelling themselves on the NY Jets offense of 2017. just exactly what did they do that was so great?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:46 am

DolFan 316 wrote:At some point Flores needs to stop adding geezers, though. In 1-2 seasons he'll just have to hire new assistants all over again.

I kind of like the idea of adding some veterans to the coaching staff. It's a pretty young staff overall, and I think having that experience to call upon can really help Flores, especially on offense. You're right that these guys won't last long, but hopefully they can groom younger guys to take over when the time comes.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:52 am

mercury22nathan wrote:is it me or is the Phins offense modelling themselves on the NY Jets offense of 2017.  just exactly what did they do that was so great?

I think they are hoping more for the 2015 Jets' offense, which was 10th in the league in total yards, 11th in points, 10th in rushing yards and a remarkable 2nd in sacks allowed. Ryan Fitzpatrick threw 31 TDs that season and was only sacked 19 times. I'd sign up for those numbers right now!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:57 am

With the Gailey and Marshall hires, Flores clearly wants a strong running game. This will allow the Phins to control tempo, keep the defense fresh, and take pressure off the QB. Look for big, strong OL and a top-flight RB to be added this offseason.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:26 am

My thought as well. Our running game was far below an acceptable level in 2019. Not what anyone expected, not what was talked about last offseason, not what we want.

Running the ball is still key. For reference, check out the playoff teams. Tennessee and SF are very good rushing teams, Tenn is setting playoff records on Henry's performances.

Flores wants to be physical, that can't happen with a weak rushing attack.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:16 am

white1 wrote:
Flores wants to be physical, that can't happen with a weak rushing attack.

This says it all. First and foremost, the Flores Dolphins will be a physical team no matter what else happens. And that all begins with running the ball on offense, and stopping the run on defense. Expect those to be focus areas, along with - of course - QB and pass rush.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:20 pm

I hope the first thing that he told his players this off season is to hit the gym. These players are getting stronger and stronger everyday and you can be soft out there getting pushed around. Miami needs an physical OL and a DL that can over power their opponents.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:59 pm

rightchea wrote:I hope the first thing that he told his players this off season is to hit the gym. These players are getting stronger and stronger everyday and you can be soft out there getting pushed around. Miami needs an physical OL and a DL that can over power their opponents.

Yep, that's usually a big issue with young players. A lot of them never really learned how to train/exercise with the goal of "functional strength", and they don't know about nutrition. Hopefully the Dolphins staff can get these guys on track.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:53 pm

I also hear that this is a problem with the Hurricanes as well. The offseason they do too much partying. As grown adults you would think they would get themselves together and work on their craft to be better.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:44 am

rightchea wrote:I hope the first thing that he told his players this off season is to hit the gym. These players are getting stronger and stronger everyday and you can be soft out there getting pushed around. Miami needs an physical OL and a DL that can over power their opponents.

well, at least one player got the message.

“I did all right,” Van Ginkel said late in the season. “I’m still feeling my way around. There are some things you can get away with in college that you can’t in the NFL. Something I need to improve on his run-stopping. My weight in not there with bigger, stronger tackles.”

Van Ginkel said he’s 240 and “to get above 245 would be the goal this offseason. That would help in the run game.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article239148583.html

lets hope some of those young guys in the trenches (Dieter, Calhoun, and yes, even Wilkins) are doing the same.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:34 am

mercury22nathan wrote:

well, at least one player got the message.

“I did all right,” Van Ginkel said late in the season. “I’m still feeling my way around. There are some things you can get away with in college that you can’t in the NFL. Something I need to improve on his run-stopping. My weight in not there with bigger, stronger tackles.”

Van Ginkel said he’s 240 and “to get above 245 would be the goal this offseason. That would help in the run game.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article239148583.html

lets hope some of those young guys in the trenches (Dieter, Calhoun, and yes, even Wilkins) are doing the same.

Yep. I think Wilkins wasn't prepared for all the double teams he faced as a rookie. He was used to playing on a DL loaded with stars, where the opposing team couldn't really afford to double anyone. He still had a strong season (led all rookie DL in tackles), but he absolutely needs to build strength and work on technique so he can start making impact plays. And hopefully we'll add some pass rushers on the edge...that will help free up Wilkins some.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:36 am

this is true. Wilkins seems surprised when they zoomed in on him every once in a while.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down