The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Post season scouting

+3
rightchea
white1
CarsonChris
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Post season scouting Empty Post season scouting

Post by CarsonChris Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:20 am

Will the senior bowl make a difference on who Miami drafts with its first pick in the draft?

They’re saying Herbert and Love both look good.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post season scouting Empty Re: Post season scouting

Post by white1 Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:13 am

This is interesting. So far, Herbert and Love getting a lot of compliments from the scouts I follow on Twitter.

A good performance from both of them only helps us. The muddier the water on QBs, and the closer they appear in talent, the better.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:24 am

From what I have been hearing the Bengals don't feel pressure into getting Burrow. From my understanding they also might keep Dalton as well. If this information is right. Miami has a lot of options when it comes to the draft.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:30 am

CarsonChris wrote:Will the senior bowl make a difference on who Miami drafts with its  first pick in the draft?

The senior bowl is one part of the process and certainly plays a role in overall player evaluation, but I don't think it makes a difference by itself. What teams learn this week will go into the overall pool of info about each player and they'll go from there.

That said, if a player totally knocks it out of the park in an interview or film study session at the senior bowl, I think that could make a difference.

From this point on, every single thing the players do or say will become part of the knowledge base teams use to set their draft board.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:04 am

The one thing I have notice is how much they discount the East/West shrine bowl. I know that it not the big stage like the senior bowl but at the same time these players are out there giving their all and it a hot mess how they basically make it seem like it is not important.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:09 am

I'd LOVE to see the Bengals pass on Burrow to take Chase Young. Talk about a feeding frenzy! Miami could trade up to 3 and get Burrow or Tua, let other teams fight for the #2 spot.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:10 am

Btw, my preference would still by far be Tua (as I stated my opinion on Burrow already).

This is a calculated gamble that other teams will take a healthy Burrow before Tua due to the injury...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:16 am

rightchea wrote:The one thing I have notice is how much they discount the East/West shrine bowl. I know that it not the big stage like the senior bowl but at the same time these players are out there giving their all and it a hot mess how they basically make it seem like it is not important.

Generally the shrine game has lower-level players...guys that will be drafted after round 3 or are considered priority free agents. That's why it is sort of treated as a "little brother" to the senior bowl. Personally, I actually like the shrine bowl better because you get to see players that aren't as well-known or established and don't get a lot of hype. But I think teams view it as very important.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:16 pm

I don’t want Tua for the simple reason hips never seem to heal right. That hip will be every defensive players target!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:12 am

Understand the injury risk. IMO, a risk is a risk - it's not everything.

Go for the player who has ELITE traits. Stop settling for "could be good enough".
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:56 am

That is why you double down on a QB. if you are the GM and you want to risk a pick on a guy that Miami have a high risk of injury especially at QB then you make sure that you get one that is capable enough to hold their own when needed. But from what it sounds like Fitzpatrick is staying another season and so is Rosen. So Miami might not move on to get Tua and get a QB in one of the lower rounds and then like for a starting after Fitzpatrick retires.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:46 pm

rightchea wrote:That is why you double down on a QB. if you are the GM and you want to risk a pick on a guy that Miami have a high risk of injury especially at QB then you make sure that you get one that is capable enough to hold their own when needed. But from what it sounds like Fitzpatrick is staying another season and so is Rosen. So Miami might not move on to get Tua and get a QB in one of the lower rounds and then like for a starting after Fitzpatrick retires.

That's what I would do. Eason seems to me like he'd at least be as good as Herbert and stay healthy besides. But we all know Tua will be the first pick, it's just too predictable.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:07 am

Eason definitely has a skillset you can work with and develop. He just hasn't played a lot of football and needs experience. Wouldn't mind adding him later on, after the first round QB.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:04 pm

I see Eason as a 3rd maybe 4th round QB that has a lot of upside but I wouldn't go after him no earlier than that

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:31 pm

rightchea wrote:I see Eason as a 3rd maybe 4th round QB that has a lot of upside but I wouldn't go after him no earlier than that

Yeah, 4th sounds about right for Eason. He probably would have gone much higher in 2021 if he had stayed for his senior year.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:55 pm

JMP wrote:Yeah, 4th sounds about right for Eason.  He probably would have gone much higher in 2021 if he had stayed for his senior year.

Pats will take him in the 2nd, mark my words.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:50 pm

If Tom Brady retires, Pats moving up to get either Tua or Herbert.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:59 pm

I don't see any quarterbacks miami should take if they don't fix the offensive line. The issue besides drafting a franchise QB is drafting a steady offensive line. We havent built anything! There is no way that we should take a QB with this offensive line. You absolutely setting the franchise back. Tua makes sense cause no matter if he's healthy or not. Redshirting would allow him to gradually ease into the NFL game and weather the healing process. No need to rush. We have Fitz under contract and Rosen. My take is to address the offensive line in Free Agency. Long term. No more kicking the tires. Solidify the trench then put your best QB out there.

Free agency will absolutely be an indicator of what Miami is willing to do in the draft. Just My opinion
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:31 pm

Umix10 wrote:I don't see any quarterbacks miami should take if they don't fix the offensive line.  The issue besides drafting a franchise QB is drafting a steady offensive line.  We havent built anything!  There is no way that we should take a QB with this offensive line. You absolutely setting the franchise back.  Tua makes sense cause no matter if he's healthy or not.  Redshirting would allow him to gradually ease into the NFL game and weather the healing process.  No need to rush.  We have Fitz under contract and Rosen.  My take is to address the offensive line in Free Agency. Long term.  No more kicking the tires.  Solidify the trench then put your best QB out there.

Free agency will absolutely be an indicator of what Miami is willing to do in the draft.  Just My opinion

PREACH IT BRUTHA!!! TESTIFY!!! cheers cheers cheers

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:16 am

Umix10 wrote:I don't see any quarterbacks miami should take if they don't fix the offensive line.  The issue besides drafting a franchise QB is drafting a steady offensive line.  We havent built anything!  There is no way that we should take a QB with this offensive line. You absolutely setting the franchise back.  Tua makes sense cause no matter if he's healthy or not.  Redshirting would allow him to gradually ease into the NFL game and weather the healing process.  No need to rush.  We have Fitz under contract and Rosen.  My take is to address the offensive line in Free Agency. Long term.  No more kicking the tires.  Solidify the trench then put your best QB out there.

Free agency will absolutely be an indicator of what Miami is willing to do in the draft.  Just My opinion

I have to agree, Miami has to look into getting that OL together before doing anything at this moment when it comes to QB. IMO, Miami keeping Fitzpatrick, Rosen and just drafting another QB even though they just sign a QB from the CFL for tryout purposes. I see Miami hitting the FA for OL hard then drafting one or two as well but from what I saw at the Senior Bowl, drafting a good OL player is going to be tough.

Also saw this scouting information about Tua:

Adam Wells wrote:Alabama's Tua Tagovailoa gave at least one scout concerns beyond the dislocated hip he suffered Nov. 16 against Mississippi State.

"He's smart, he's got a good arm," the scout said. "But after that great performance in the title game as a freshman (against Georgia), he hasn't been as good in the big games. And he might not have that kind of talent around him at the receiver position."

Tagovailoa didn't have a great completion percentage this season against LSU (21-of-40 passing), but he did throw for 418 yards and four touchdowns in Alabama's 46-41 loss. He was shaky in last year's title game loss to Clemson with two interceptions in a 44-16 defeat.

and this on Herbert:
adam wells wrote:Oregon's Justin Herbert got a mostly positive review from a scout: "We did a lot of work on him obviously during the college football season. I didn't hear a lot of complaints about his ability."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2873476-2020-nfl-draft-rumors-execs-concerned-with-quality-of-qbs-after-joe-burrow

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:04 am

We're going to fix the OL now matter what - that has nothing to do with acquiring a QB. Both are huge issues, and both will be addressed this offseason.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:56 am

Tweet
Jason La Canfora wrote:The NFL's Football Operations Department @NFLFootballOps notified all GMs today it will hold a regional combine and combine for HBCU athletes not invited to the national combine on March 27-29 at the Dolphins facility

Not sure how this is suppose to help these guys they never make it higher than the 4th round most of the time anyway.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:08 am

rightchea wrote:Tweet
Jason La Canfora wrote:The NFL's Football Operations Department @NFLFootballOps notified all GMs today it will hold a regional combine and combine for HBCU athletes not invited to the national combine on March 27-29 at the Dolphins facility

Not sure how this is suppose to help these guys they never make it higher than the 4th round most of the time anyway.

Interesting. I think it will help guys at least get on the radar. Some of these players would be lucky to even get signed as undrafted FAs, but if they have a good showing at this combine, maybe they instead end up getting drafted. There's a lot of good players that don't get invited to the main combine, so maybe this is a chance for these overlooked/ignored players to get in the mix.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:23 am

To be honest, these players have a better chance at the XFL than anything. This is probably what will keep the XFL going. All the players that don't get drafted get a chacnce at playing in the XFL and then get to show the world why they should be drafted.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:29 am

rightchea wrote:To be honest, these players have a better chance at the XFL than anything. This is probably what will keep the XFL going. All the players that don't get drafted get a chacnce at playing in the XFL and then get to show the world why they should be drafted.

Yep, that's true.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next