The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phins dodged the Tunsil bullet

+4
white1
JMP
rightchea
mercury22nathan
8 posters

Go down

Phins dodged the Tunsil bullet Empty Phins dodged the Tunsil bullet

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:43 am

are you glad the Phins aren't in this position now...

The Houston Texans have a bit of an issue.

The Texans paid a huge price to trade for left tackle Laremy Tunsil from the Miami Dolphins last year. Tunsil was entering the final year of his contract, and made a Pro Bowl for the first time. Now he wants to be the highest paid offensive lineman in NFL history.

And on the verge of free agency, Tunsil fired the agency that has represented him since he was drafted by the Dolphins.

The Texans are looking at a big price tag.

Laremy Tunsil wants at least $19 million per season
Last week from the NFL scouting combine, Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle cited sources that said Tunsil wants “at least” between $19 million to $20 million per season. Lane Johnson of the Philadelphia Eagles is the highest paid offensive lineman in the NFL at $18 million per season.

Just before last season, the Texans shipped a 2020 first-round pick, a 2021 first-round pick, a 2021 second-round pick, cornerback Johnson Bademosi and tackle Julien Davenport to the Dolphins for Tunsil, wide receiver Kenny Stills, a 2020 fourth-round pick and a 2021 sixth-round pick. The key to that trade, without question, was Tunsil.

The Texans would look foolish to give all of that in a trade and get just one year out of Tunsil. He has the leverage. Tunsil would need another team to pay him that $19 million to $20 million to force the Texans’ hand, but the Texans can’t afford to let Tunsil walk.

Tunsil has turned into a good left tackle. According to Pro Football Focus’ grades, Tunsil was the 13th ranked tackle in the NFL last year (minimum 900 snaps). He might not be the best tackle in the NFL, but that might not matter. He wants to get paid like it, and the Texans might not have much choice.

https://sports.yahoo.com/texans-ot-laremy-tunsil-who-reportedly-wants-1920-million-per-year-fires-agent-174908639.html

i'd much rather have those draft picks. Tunsil is good, but not as good as he wants to get paid. kudos to Grier for having the foresight to avoid this situation.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Phins dodged the Tunsil bullet Empty Re: Phins dodged the Tunsil bullet

Post by rightchea Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:19 am

Looks like Miami is coming out the winners in this sweepstakes

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:01 am

Wow, at $20 million a season, Tunsil would be getting paid almost $1 million per penalty! Laughing

He is seriously overrated. He's a penalty machine, he gets beat by speed rushers, and he plays very lazy at times. Good player overall, but definitely not great. Glad the Phins don't have to shell out that type of money for him.

I'm actually thinking that left tackle is not as important as it used to be. Really, how many great LTs are there in the NFL now?? Interior linemen are becoming more important as defenses focus more on attacking up the middle. I think it's more valuable these days to have 5 solid linemen than it is to have one great LT.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:03 am

I think it's more valuable these days to have 5 solid linemen than it is to have one great LT.

Agree. And so does Grier. He's been quoted as saying he'd rather have 3 very good players than pay for 1 great player.

Thuney is a highly rated Patriot, but I believe he will be too expensive to sign with the Fins. Does not match with what Grier has said to this point, in any case.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:13 am

BAHAHAHAHAHA!!! SORRY TEXANS, NO BACKSIES!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Then again, the Fins have plenty of cap room now, hmmm... scratch

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:15 am

So has anyone notice how bad the Texans are at trading people. Brock Osweiler for example

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:24 am

rightchea wrote:So has anyone notice how bad the Texans are at trading people. Brock Osweiler for example

They're so dysfunctional that they don't actually have a GM right now. Bill O'Brien is filling that role. You remember Bill O'Brien, don't you? He's the guy who didn't got for it on 4th and 1 in the playoff game VS KC with a 21-point lead from the Chiefs' 13, but decided on the very next series to fake a punt on 4th and 4 from his own 31. Yeah, that guy.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:02 pm

Tunsil's a good to very good player, and helped the Texans considerably, but this is a great year to get an offensive tackle for either side, and Miami has a ton of extra picks. Hell, we got a guy who still might develop into a decent starter in Davenport in the deal. And Tunsil is good, but not $19 million good.

Yeah, Dolphins got the best of this deal, no question.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:24 pm

Tunsil thinks an awful lot of himself. He ranked 4th in pressures allowed!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:36 am

So awesome to see us get the "W" in a major trade!

Grier gets major kudos here. Excellent work, and throwing in Stills to sweeten the deal was a non-factor for us look at our receiver group. Can't say enough about how well this worked out.

Now draft the right players! And I think he will, given the talent evaluators he added to his front office (Allen and McKenzie primarily).

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:47 am

white1 wrote:So awesome to see us get the "W" in a major trade!

Grier gets major kudos here.  Excellent work, and throwing in Stills to sweeten the deal was a non-factor for us look at our receiver group.  Can't say enough about how well this worked out.

Now draft the right players! And I think he will, given the talent evaluators he added to his front office (Allen and McKenzie primarily).

If they don't trade up for Tua, or pass on him altogether and take someone who will stay healthy and be a real impact player at #5 (coughSimmonscough) then you'll know my super secret behind the scenes you didn't hear it from me subtle influencing of the scouting department worked.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:01 pm

Simmons does seem like an elite can't-miss prospect and a great fit for our defense.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:38 pm

If Redskins don't get Tua then they are going after Simmons

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:42 pm

I don't think so - Redskins would take Chase Young.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:32 pm

I think the Skins are locked in on Young and my guess is they won't trade down.

I think the Lions go with Brown, Simmons or Okudah. And if they trade down to 5, at least 2 of those players will still be available.

So even though I'd prefer to trade to 2, I think getting to 3 is much more likely.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:52 pm

Ain't no way a guy with "Bongmask Bandit" attached to his name is worth that amount.

I agree, Tunsil gets lazy at times, but when he is on, he is a very good LT. But he would have to be stellar to command that amount IMHO.

I HOPE...hope the new Phins are done paying enormous amounts to O-linemen. Draft and develop them and if they want too much, let them walk. Like the Pats did Nat Solder and Logan Mankins.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:57 pm

The biggest issues is the CBA that owners are creating and the fact that players want to be payed like NBA and MLB players.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:22 pm

rightchea wrote:The biggest issues is the CBA that owners are creating and the fact that players want to be payed like NBA and MLB players.

Yup. Now every half-decent player wants to be the highest paid at his position in NFL history every year. And teams actually give in to them! Then these same teams act all surprised when they're in cap hell after 2-3 years with no title to show for it. HOW could this have HAPPENED?!?! We signed SO much TALENT!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

When was the last time a team using this strategy actually won a Super Bowl? Do the Broncos count, or was Peyton only the 5th highest paid QB in the league or so that season? Hell, how many of the teams who run out and sign these guys to record-breakingly large deals even win a playoff game? BTW did you know that Ja'Wuan Freaking James became the highest paid RT in NFL history when he signed with Denver? (I threw that last part in not to prove my already proven point, but because even *I* still can't believe THAT level of sheer absurdity Shocked Shocked Shocked )

Then again I stopped expecting NFL teams to actually learn from their mistakes 20 years ago.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:37 pm

Tunsil committed 17 penalties in 2019...that's an absolutely staggering number. Shocked

Back to the free agency discussion. Yes, the system as currently designed is set up to reward young free agents for mediocrity. Like 316 said - Ja'Wuan James is the perfect example...a young player who isn't particularly good but doesn't suck, and he became the highest paid player at his position simply because he was a free agent. It's crazy.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down