The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Drafting a Safety

+4
JEGnj
finskev
JMP
rightchea
8 posters

Go down

Drafting a Safety Empty Drafting a Safety

Post by rightchea Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:25 am

If you look at the roster at this moment, Miami has only three safeties on the roster. If Miami doesn't trade up they might use one of the picks to get a Safety instead of a RB. Right now I am banking on Antoine Winfield Jr or Xavier McKinney.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Drafting a Safety Empty Re: Drafting a Safety

Post by JMP Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:16 pm

I don't like McKinney...poor in coverage IMO.

Winfield is much shorter than I'd like, but dude can play.

I also like Kyle Dugger and Ashtyn Davis.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:40 pm

Winfield can play and his Film study is an advantage to overcome his height.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:52 pm

finskev wrote:Winfield can play and his Film study is an advantage to overcome his height.

yeah, he's the safety I want the most. Really good instincts...and he's an old school football player.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:15 am

QB, DL, OL, LB. Gotta built back up for the future. To me S and RB come later.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:56 am

JEGnj wrote:QB, DL, OL, LB. Gotta built back up for the future. To me S and RB come later.

With 14 picks we should be able to hit all those positions.

I do think RB is going to be high on the priority list, because I think the Phins are really going to commit to the run and right now we have just one NFL-caliber back. We will draft 2-3 OL and 1-2 running backs IMO.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:21 pm

Yeah, if only the Phins had drafted a safety in the 1st round in past draft....

Oh wait, they did.

And then shipped him off for a draft pick.

If any one player can be credited with transforming the Steelers defense in 2019, it’s Fizpatrick. Pittsburgh’s trade for him in Week 3 not only shored up a shaky free safety position, it enabled most everyone in front of him. Despite being sparsely targeted, Fitzpatrick managed 5 interceptions in addition to 2 fumble recoveries in 14 games. Those takeaways powered the unit and the team as a whole in vast stretches of the season. His presence and – potentially – longterm partnership with Terrell Edmunds are some of the greatest signs of hope for the team heading into the next decade.

https://www.pennlive.com/steelers/2020/02/steelers-position-review-minkah-fitzpatrick-and-the-rest-of-pittsburghs-safeties.html

Lets hope the draft pick yields something good, but usually when the Dolphins trade a proven player for draft picks, it doesn't turn out the to have the same impact as if they had kept the proven player IMO.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:05 pm

Fitzpatrick's impact was overrated IMO. In Steelers' games I watched he missed lots of tackles and was frequently caught out of position. He made a few 'splash' plays that got him noticed, but I didn't and don't see him as a "special" player.

His 2 forced fumbles occurred in weeks 2 and 3, and he had zero INTs after week 10.

Good player, but I don't think he's the savior he's made out to be. I'm confident that we can and will replace him.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:49 pm

finfanatic wrote:Yeah, if only the Phins had drafted a safety in the 1st round in past draft....

Oh wait, they did.

If any one player can be credited with transforming the Steelers defense in 2019, it’s Fizpatrick. Pittsburgh’s trade for him in Week 3 not only shored up a shaky free safety position, it enabled most everyone in front of him. Despite being sparsely targeted, Fitzpatrick managed 5 interceptions in addition to 2 fumble recoveries in 14 games. Those takeaways powered the unit and the team as a whole in vast stretches of the season. His presence and – potentially – longterm partnership with Terrell Edmunds are some of the greatest signs of hope for the team heading into the next decade.

https://www.pennlive.com/steelers/2020/02/steelers-position-review-minkah-fitzpatrick-and-the-rest-of-pittsburghs-safeties.html

Lets hope the draft pick yields something good, but usually when the Dolphins trade a proven player for draft picks, it doesn't turn out the to have the same impact as if they had kept the proven player IMO.

HELL YEAH!!! FF DROPPIN' TRUTH BOMBS ALL UP IN HEAH!!! cheers cheers cheers

Fitzpatrick was good enough for Tomlin (a coach who I, 316, advocated the Fins hiring after the Great Betrayal but noooo, they had to hire Cam instead) so why wasn't he good enough here? And I like Flores, I still think he should've been Coach Of The Year, but in this instance he made a rookie head coaching mistake.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:18 pm

We can draft a free safety, but I want him to be able to play 5 positions at an average-to-below-average level, and rarely play him in position. If he can be undersized and too slow to be a corner, but made to play that position frequently, that would be perfect. Also, his lack of size will be perfect for run blitzes, because nothing scares the shit out of an offense more than a guy getting Pat White'd by a pulling guard.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:39 pm

Degarmo wrote:We can draft a free safety, but I want him to be able to play 5 positions at an average-to-below-average level, and rarely play him in position.  If he can be undersized and too slow to be a corner, but made to play that position frequently, that would be perfect.  Also, his lack of size will be perfect for run blitzes, because nothing scares the shit out of an offense more than a guy getting Pat White'd by a pulling guard.

cheers cheers cheers Glad to see you're still well. Living where you are, that's no guarantee right now.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:09 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
finfanatic wrote:Yeah, if only the Phins had drafted a safety in the 1st round in past draft....

Oh wait, they did.

HELL YEAH!!! FF DROPPIN' TRUTH BOMBS ALL UP IN HEAH!!! cheers cheers cheers

Fitzpatrick was good enough for Tomlin (a coach who I, 316, advocated the Fins hiring after the Great Betrayal but noooo, they had to hire Cam instead) so why wasn't he good enough here? And I like Flores, I still think he should've been Coach Of The Year, but in this instance he made a rookie head coaching mistake.

It's not that Minkah wasn't good enough for Flores, it's that Minkah didn't want to be here and he and his mommy were becoming a distraction. No whining crybabies on this team anymore. Those days are gone.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:23 pm

JMP wrote:It's not that Minkah wasn't good enough for Flores, it's that Minkah didn't want to be here and he and his mommy were becoming a distraction. No whining crybabies on this team anymore. Those days are gone.

An odd thing to say considering you've been lusting after a player with known daddy issues scratch But to each his own. Tomlin certainly doesn't seem to think he's a crybaby.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:44 pm

Minkah pulled the mommy card because he didn't want to be a Dolphin. He let mommy fight his battle for him.

Tua isn't a crybaby at all...he's tough as nails and very mature. His father is a dick, but he'll be fine once he's counting Tua's money! LOL

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:57 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
Degarmo wrote:We can draft a free safety, but I want him to be able to play 5 positions at an average-to-below-average level, and rarely play him in position.  If he can be undersized and too slow to be a corner, but made to play that position frequently, that would be perfect.  Also, his lack of size will be perfect for run blitzes, because nothing scares the shit out of an offense more than a guy getting Pat White'd by a pulling guard.

cheers cheers cheers Glad to see you're still well. Living where you are, that's no guarantee right now.

My county won't go gentle into that good night. We're farmers and hard workers up here. Lots of family folks, a real red county. I don't tell anyone up here I'm not red or blue, I just let them think whatever they want to think because I'm a nice and helpful guy, even though my board persona is a ray of fucking sarcastic sunshine Wink

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:59 pm

JMP wrote: His father is a dick, but he'll be fine once he's counting Tua's money! LOL

We shall see about that when Tua doesn't get enough playing time, or the coach calls a play or three he doesn't like, or it's contract time.

I hope I'm wrong.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:36 pm

Tua's dad didn't complain while he was at Alabama, so I don't see it as an issue.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:28 am

McKinney was moved all over the field in Alabama, so he could be what Flores was wanting Fitzpatrick to be. He's a possibility at 18 IMO.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:37 am

Not sure how good McKinney actually is in coverage. I feel like he struggles more than he should.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:41 am

dolfan 316 wrote:Fitzpatrick was good enough for Tomlin (a coach who I, 316, advocated the Fins hiring after the Great Betrayal but noooo, they had to hire Cam instead) so why wasn't he good enough here? And I like Flores, I still think he should've been Coach Of The Year, but in this instance he made a rookie head coaching mistake.

Flores wanted him to play different position because they were in the system of rebuilding. If you don't want to do what the coach say then I would have traded him as well. At least Miami didn't get a fourth round pick for him like the Texans got for Hopkins.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:56 pm

rightchea wrote:
dolfan 316 wrote:Fitzpatrick was good enough for Tomlin (a coach who I, 316, advocated the Fins hiring after the Great Betrayal but noooo, they had to hire Cam instead) so why wasn't he good enough here? And I like Flores, I still think he should've been Coach Of The Year, but in this instance he made a rookie head coaching mistake.

Flores wanted him to play different position because they were in the system of rebuilding. If you don't want to do what the coach say then I would have traded him as well. At least Miami didn't get a fourth round pick for him like the Texans got for Hopkins.

Exactly. He wanted out and wouldn't do what the coaches wanted him to do, so we traded him for a first round pick. Win-win for everyone involved.

And keep in mind - Minkah was barely even an average player for the Dolphins, and we traded him for a first. That is an excellent trade.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down