The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No block screen pass for safety

5 posters

Go down

No block screen pass for safety Empty No block screen pass for safety

Post by CarsonChris Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:58 am

It's official, the only pass play in the history of the NFL that's been a safety. That's how bad the design was. Miami is in the record books. Waddle had to wait for the pass, the pass was high, and Waddle had no blocking and we negated his athletic ability by leaving him on an Island standing still.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

No block screen pass for safety Empty Re: No block screen pass for safety

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:11 am

CC is right! The first completed pass in NFL history that resulted in a safety Shocked Shocked Shocked I wonder which of the two OCs thought of that one?

https://www.thephinsider.com/2021/9/27/22695793/miami-dolphins-jacoby-brissetts-safety-is-unlike-anything-the-nfl-world-has-ever-seen

Makes me wonder what mind-blowing, paradigm-shifting play they'll think of next. And by "wonder" I mean "cringe in horror".

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:52 am

It was an ugly play, no doubt. Poor design, poor execution...just awful.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:22 pm

I watched the play a few more times. The inaccurate pass combined with no blockers out front doomed the play from the start.

But while it was an AWFUL call, if Jacoby had thrown the ball out in front of Waddle or even at a height where he didn't have to jump for it, I think Jaylen gains a couple of yards, even without blocking in front of him. Regardless, no reason to make that throw in that situation for what would have been just a minimal gain anyway.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:43 pm

JMP wrote:I watched the play a few more times. The inaccurate pass combined with no blockers out front doomed the play from the start.

But while it was an AWFUL call, if Jacoby had thrown the ball out in front of Waddle or even at a height where he didn't have to jump for it, I think Jaylen gains a couple of yards, even without blocking in front of him. Regardless, no reason to make that throw in that situation for what would have been just a minimal gain anyway.

Waddle or any receiver should have been in motion. My big question is where are the swing passes to Gaskin out of the backfield? We target Gesicki with 2 yard shovel passes but I don't think I've seen Gaskin catch a pass since preseason

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:35 pm

Someone has to answer for that Stupid Play Call and I’m Talking Coaches, Also heard they said Waddle Should have just Dropped it.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:01 pm

CarsonChris wrote:My big question is where are the swing passes to Gaskin out of the backfield?

I thought this would be a staple of the offense. I don't get it.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:11 pm

USA Today just ran the top 100 plays in Dolphins history.

Where would this play rank among the 100 worst plays in Dolphins history? I think it might well be top 20, maybe even top 10. I'd put the sea of hands TD first and the Chargers playoff safety at # 2 on that list.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:36 pm

HalCHorn wrote:USA Today just ran the top 100 plays in Dolphins history.

Where would this play rank among the 100 worst plays in Dolphins history?  I think it might well be top 20, maybe even top 10.  I'd put the sea of hands TD first and the Chargers playoff safety at # 2 on that list.  

The fact that this has never happened before in NFL history has to put this one top 10.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:50 pm

HalCHorn wrote:USA Today just ran the top 100 plays in Dolphins history.

Where would this play rank among the 100 worst plays in Dolphins history?  I think it might well be top 20, maybe even top 10.  I'd put the sea of hands TD first and the Chargers playoff safety at # 2 on that list.  

I say top 5. Only other worse play I can even think of off the top of my head is the infamous Sammie Smith game losing fumble VS the Oilers in '89. Andra Franklin's fumble during the Chargers' playoff loss when the Fins were up 38-31 and trying to run the clock out would be up there too. As well as all of Von Schaumann's misses and blocked kicks in that game.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:16 pm

That play was so bad that even Youtube's resident NFL historian felt he had to make a video about it ASAP.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:37 pm

From the same era of the deep-I run (Parmalee was about 6 yards deep in the end zone at the start of that play, I swear) I remember Barry Switzer being roasted for "Load Left" twice in a row on 4th and 1 in a windy Philly late in a tied game from his own 32 yard line.

And yeah, this is a worse call than that. Complete momentum changer.

I'll give the San Diego safety a "higher" rank on the worst plays list though because given how poorly the Steelers played in the AFC Championship Game, that call likely cost us a SB trip in 1994. Yes, we would have been blasted, but getting there would have at least meant something.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:51 pm

HalCHorn wrote:From the same era of the deep-I run (Parmalee was about 6 yards deep in the end zone at the start of that play, I swear) I remember Barry Switzer being roasted for "Load Left" twice in a row on 4th and 1 in a windy Philly late in a tied game from his own 32 yard line.

And yeah, this is a worse call than that.  Complete momentum changer.

I'll give the San Diego safety a "higher" rank on the worst plays list though because given how poorly the Steelers played in the AFC Championship Game, that call likely cost us a SB trip in 1994.  Yes, we would have been blasted, but getting there would have at least meant something.

Hal and I have discussed before how the 10-6 '94 team actually had a better shot at reaching the Super Bowl than the 11-5 '92 team that got a playoff bye. For one thing in '94 the Bills weren't in the way. And Cowher was still in full-on "blow playoff games at home" mode.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:39 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
HalCHorn wrote:From the same era of the deep-I run (Parmalee was about 6 yards deep in the end zone at the start of that play, I swear) I remember Barry Switzer being roasted for "Load Left" twice in a row on 4th and 1 in a windy Philly late in a tied game from his own 32 yard line.

And yeah, this is a worse call than that.  Complete momentum changer.

I'll give the San Diego safety a "higher" rank on the worst plays list though because given how poorly the Steelers played in the AFC Championship Game, that call likely cost us a SB trip in 1994.  Yes, we would have been blasted, but getting there would have at least meant something.

Hal and I have discussed before how the 10-6 '94 team actually had a better shot at reaching the Super Bowl than the 11-5 '92 team that got a playoff bye. For one thing in '94 the Bills weren't in the way. And Cowher was still in full-on "blow playoff games at home" mode.

Yup. I will go to my grave thinking that should have been us taking a 23 point shellacking from the 49ers that year.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down