The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game 5 thoughts: Dolphins at 49ers

+5
white1
DolFan 316
scotgif
CarsonChris
JMP
9 posters

Go down

Game 5 thoughts: Dolphins at 49ers Empty Game 5 thoughts: Dolphins at 49ers

Post by JMP Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:18 pm

Despite increasing pressure from fans and media to start Tua, Coach Brian Flores continues to play Wheel of Fitzpatrick. Sometimes the wheel lands on FitzMagic, and sometimes it lands on FitzTragic…you just never know. Last week, the wheel came up FitzTragic – and it was ugly. This week, as the Dolphins headed across the country to take on the banged up 49ers in San Fran, the wheel came up FitzMagic – and it was beautiful. The Phins walked out with a 43-17 victory and played their best game in years.

Last week it looked like Fitz was struggling to throw the ball even 15 yards. Today he was throwing bombs all over the field and absolutely destroying the 49ers’ injury-riddled secondary. I don’t know what happened, but his “dead” arm from last week sure came back to life today! He ended the day with 350 yards, 3 TDs and a near-perfect passer rating of 154.5, completing almost 80% of his passes. This was a monumental performance by the Bearded Wonder – simply spectacular.

Fitz got a lot of help from his receiving corps, as his top 3 targets – Preston Williams, Mike Gesicki and DeVante Parker – combined for 11 catches and 247 yards, catching jump balls, streaking by defenders and just generally dominating. Williams played one of his best games, topping 100 yards with a score and drawing a big pass interference penalty. Backup TE Adam Shaheen added a TD.

The run game was not very effective until late in the game, but Myles Gaskin did have a rushing TD. Matt Breida chipped in with a great 31-yard catch-and-run. Fullback Chandler Cox delivered several excellent blocks and had a catch.

The new-look offensive line, starting Jesse Davis at LT in place of the injured Austin Jackson and sliding rookie Robert Hunt to RT in his first career start, was excellent in pass protection.

Major props must be given to offensive coordinator Chan Gailey, for calling an absolutely brilliant game, and OL coach Steve Marshall, for continuing to do an excellent job with the line.

The only negative on offense continues to be the struggling run game. There are some good things here and there, but it’s just not consistent enough. It was great to see the Dolphins mount a 7-minute drive to eat up half of the 4th quarter, with much of the damage done on the ground, but the run game must be improved.

As for the defense, it was mostly outstanding. They applied consistent pressure on the 49er QBs and finished with 5 sacks, 2 INTs and 2 forced fumbles. The pass defense was insanely good, led by Eric Rowe who completely shut down All-World TE George Kittle. Kittle had just 1 catch for 11 yards in the first half and only 3 in the second. Emmanuel Ogbah has been coming on strong in recent weeks, and he was a beast today, picking up a sack and forced fumble, stuffing a 4th down run (along with Christian Wilkins), batting down a pass and generally wreaking havoc all game. Byron Jones returned to the lineup and provided the lockdown coverage that has become his trademark. Zach Seiler has been playing like a man possessed, and he continued his surge with a sack today. Safety Bobby McCain is having a career year, and he had an INT and several key tackles today. Elandon Roberts and Andrew Van Ginkel joined the sack party with one each, and AVG also had a forced fumble. I could keep going with player highlights, but the bottom line is that the defense played tough and knocked the Niners around. They beat up QB Jimmy Garoppolo so bad that he was pulled from the game at halftime, exiting with a putrid QBR of 15.7.

The only negative: the run defense was terrible, allowing over 130 yards. In the end it didn’t matter, but run defense must be a major point of emphasis moving forward.

Some other interesting notes:
--The Dolphins ran several wildcat plays with rookie Lynn Bowden, and most were fairly successful.
--Special teams ace Clayton Fejedelem gained a first down on a fake punt in the 3rd quarter, taking the snap as the up-back and pounding into the line to gain the necessary yardage.
--For the second week in a row, Jason Sanders was 5 for 5 on field goals. The man is a machine – simply amazing.
-- In the second half, the refs did everything they could to keep the 49ers in the game, calling bogus penalty after bogus penalty any time the Miami D made a play. It was, quite frankly, disgusting.

The Dolphins began the game in attack mode on both sides of the ball, and never let up. The game started with the defense forcing a 3 and out and the Phins scoring a TD on their own opening drive, set up by a 47-yard bomb from Fitz to Parker on the first play. From there, it was all Dolphins. It was the most complete effort - by far – we have seen from the Flores Dolphins, and hopefully this game can be a major building block for the team as they move forward. Just a dominant effort all around. Interesting stat: the 43 points scored by the Phins was the most opponent points scored in Levi's Stadium history (it opened in 2014).

Hero of the Day: I’ll give it to Fitz for an outstanding game, but honorable mention goes to Williams, Rowe, Sanders, the coaching staff, etc.

Goat of the Day: Jakeem Grant had a disastrous day: he muffed a punt, dropped a 3rd down pass, and lost major yardage on an end-around. Just awful.

Beer of the Day: I started out with Iron Maiden’s “Fear of the Dark” stout, from Robinson Brewery. As with all the Maiden beers, the label is much better than the beer. This wasn’t bad, but too watery and light for a stout. I followed up with several Heinekens.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Game 5 thoughts: Dolphins at 49ers Empty Re: Game 5 thoughts: Dolphins at 49ers

Post by CarsonChris Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:31 pm

What changed this week? Noah Chunk Igbewatchamacalit only played 5 snaps. He needs time to adjust to the NFL.

Miami is in desperate need of a running back with vision. The backs just don’t see running lanes and continually get hit at the line or behind it.

The defense managed to have a creative pass rush and this disrupted the timing of the 49er offense. I like that more aggressive style of play.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:12 pm

You can have Grant and Nick Needham. One bonehead play after another. Nice to see Bowden getting some play. How 'bout Malcom Perry in the slot, or on returns? Grant is bad.

Jason Sanders is a freakin BEAST.

Flo is doing an outstanding job with the still-limited talent group that he has, BUT, he is JUST like EVERY other HC, HIGHLY STUBBORN. He said he would not cave in to media pressure to start or even play Tua, BUT, up 40-17 with 6 minutes left and the ball, why not put Tua in to just hand off.

Give him some real-time NFL experience, when there is ZERO pressure on him to do ANYTHING but execute a successful hand off?

I get it. He does not want to rush him. BUT he is the SECOND string QB. What if Fitz gets hurt? Does he not insert Tua then? Does he use Bowden or call up Perry to go 100% Wildcat?

I'm not bashing Flo. I think he is doing/and has done a terrific job, but just find it odd that he did not take advantage of a PERFECT opportunity to get Tua some valuable experience.

Or, is he waiting until he is forced to play him and throw him to the wolves and expect him to work miracles?
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:24 am

scotgif wrote:Flo is doing an outstanding job with the still-limited talent group that he has, BUT, he is JUST like EVERY other HC, HIGHLY STUBBORN. He said he would not cave in to media pressure to start or even play Tua, BUT, up 40-17 with 6 minutes left and the ball, why not put Tua in to just hand off.

Give him some real-time NFL experience, when there is ZERO pressure on him to do ANYTHING but execute a successful hand off?

I have never seen the sense in putting the backup QB in just to hand off. Any of us could manage that. If you're going to put the backup in at a time like that then let him show what he can do, the way Shula did when he put in Jim Del Gaizo during the 52-0 evisceration of the Pats in '72. Notice how he's never ever gotten any flack for that, even though we all know the sports media hates the Fins (and did even then)?

All this does is convince people that Tua is indeed nowhere near physically ready to play in an actual NFL game. Which may be a lot closer to the truth than we'd all like to think.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:19 am

I read recently that since Rowe was moved last season from CB to Safety, our success limiting the opposing TE has sky rocketed. The defense has limited even elite TEs to manageable numbers. We all know this was an issue in Miami for a very long time. Used to be, any opposing TE regardless of talent would have a career week against us.

Well, after seeing Kittle get the same limited stats, count me as a believer. This is one problem that appears to be solved.

Part of it is probably Flores experience in NE. I was watching the Patriots last game against the Chiefs and they showed them chipping Kelce at the line and then the zone coverage behind it. We're probably doing alot of those things also.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:17 am

We have 10 players left from 2 years ago. We completely changed the roster. It’s exciting to see the change on the offensive line. The Dolphins are trying to follow the Patriots mold with solid players at every position. The goal isn’t to add stars and break the bank for one position. It’s to have solid players that can be replaced without a major transformation of the roster. They aren’t looking for one dominating player on defense or offense. The pass rush isn’t about one stud pass rusher. It’s about every player on the line giving full effort. Spreading the sacks or stops equally across the front. The only true star the Patriots had was Brady. Everyone else was a piece player. Miami looked solid yesterday. No stars just pieces of a puzzle coming together.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:35 pm

No need to put Tua in a game just to hand off. He's played football long enough that he can do that, and if need be he can do it in practice too. If there is a chance to put him in a game where he's going to actually throw it a couple of times, then yes - I'm on board. But if he's just going to hand off it's not really helping him in any significant way.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:37 pm

white1 wrote:I read recently that since Rowe was moved last season from CB to Safety, our success limiting the opposing TE has sky rocketed.  The defense has limited even elite TEs to manageable numbers.  We all know this was an issue in Miami for a very long time.  Used to be, any opposing TE regardless of talent would have a career week against us.

Well, after seeing Kittle get the same limited stats, count me as a believer.  This is one problem that appears to be solved.

Part of it is probably Flores experience in NE.  I was watching the Patriots last game against the Chiefs and they showed them chipping Kelce at the line and then the zone coverage behind it.  We're probably doing alot of those things also.

Yeah, it's amazing to see how Rowe has flourished in this scheme since they moved him from boundary corner. He now plays both safety positions, nickle corner and even LB. And he's done an incredible job of shutting down TEs. He has really found his niche in Miami.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:40 pm

CarsonChris wrote:We have 10 players left from 2 years ago. We completely changed the roster. It’s exciting to see the change on the offensive line.  The Dolphins are trying to follow the Patriots mold with solid players at every position. The goal isn’t to add stars and break the bank for one position. It’s to have solid players that can be replaced without a major transformation of the roster. They aren’t looking for one dominating player on defense or offense. The pass rush isn’t about one stud pass rusher. It’s about every player on the line giving full effort. Spreading the sacks or stops equally across the front. The only true star the Patriots had was Brady.  Everyone else was a piece player.  Miami looked solid yesterday. No stars just pieces of a puzzle coming together.

Great points. One thing about all the top teams is that they function as a team - not just a group of individual players. This season, after a couple of weeks of adjusting, I think we are seeing the Dolphins become a team. Players know their roles and they know their assignments and they are working together and complementing each other. We are still lacking talent in several areas, but when you play team football and are fundamentally sound, it can hide a lot of those warts.

I really believe Flores has what it takes to be a great coach, It is a slow process after the gutting of the roster, but I think we will get there.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:48 pm

CarsonChris wrote:What changed this week? Noah Chunk Igbewatchamacalit  only played 5 snaps. He needs time to adjust to the NFL.

Miami is in desperate need of a running back with vision. The backs just don’t see running lanes and continually get hit at the line or behind it.

The defense managed to have a creative pass rush and this disrupted the timing of the 49er offense. I like that more aggressive style of play.

Smart move to let Iggy sit and catch his breath. It has been a whirlwind start to his career and he needs to just learn for a bit.

The Byron Jones addition cannot be overestimated. He is one of the last remaining shutdown corners - a player that literally locks down his part of the field to the point where opposing QBs don't even look his way. That makes it so much easier for the rest of the defense. Really a great signing.

I also love seeing this defense play with aggression. I'm really starting to like AVG - he is a real attacking LB and he is just relentless once he gets going. Zach Sieler seems to make an impact when he is on the field - he plays like a big, angry bear. And Ogbah seems like a perfect fit for this D. he's getting comfortable and making plays.

As for the RBs, I think Gaskin is doing great. I think he does have the vision, because he does find the right holes. And he is a fantastic pass protector - the best the Dolphins have had in many, many years. I think the biggest issue right now is that we rarely see the OL getting to the second level. They are great at the point of attack, but rarely seem to get out front and hit the LBs and DBs that come up to fill the gaps. I'm not sure if that's scheme-related or what, but is an area to address for sure.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:48 pm

I went to the gun range so I tried to ignore everything and started watching the game after 7 and fast forwarded commercials and slow parts and stayed off computer to I didn't hear the score. I think they really played well but I would've enjoyed it more live and it real time.
I'm strickly looking forward to rebuilding and growing for the future but I do feel this is a new Dolphin's team.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:42 am

JEGnj wrote:I do feel this is a new Dolphin's team.

I sure hope so. It's starting to look that way.

BTW - I loved seeing Tua run out to celebrate with Fitz...that was really cool.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:52 pm

Key points to consider in the run game. This based solely on my observation. I don’t have advanced metrics except to say that the eye test is proving my point.

If you look at the rushing attack, I find that we are most successful in the pistol with Gaskin. We are most successful when we go 4 wide and use Breida. In the traditional I we are atrocious! Again based on my observations
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:21 pm

Umix10 wrote:Key points to consider in the run game.  This based solely on my observation.  I don’t have advanced metrics except to say that the eye test is proving my point.

If you look at the rushing attack, I find that we are most successful in the pistol with Gaskin.  We are most successful when we go 4 wide and use Breida.  In the traditional I we are atrocious! Again based on my observations

Yeah, also not sure if that is accurate - but it does make sense. Teams that have trouble running often find some success with different formations.

I think things will get better both as the line continues to gel and Gaskin and Breida get more of a feel for the blocking schemes. Like I said, I want to see the linemen get out front more and get to the second level - we saw some of it against the Niners, particularly with the Kindley/Hunt combo, but not enough. I do think we are headed in the right direction - it was encouraging to see the Phins run out the clock a bit on Sunday.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:48 pm

Travis Wingfield
@WingfieldNFL
Dolphins OC Chan Gailey said that Ryan Fitzpatrick changed a route on a play on Sunday based on the stance of the DE that tipped him off to the defensive call...the play went for a TD.

People don't want to hear the word "playoffs", but Flores is coaching to win the games as long as there is a glimmer of hope. This play by Fitz is exactly why he's starting - he gives us the best chance to win right now. That's not a knock on Tua at all - just highlights the veteran savvy that Fitz has, and that Tua can learn from.

A lot of people are viewing this as another throwaway season for Miami - but it's clear that the coaches and players are working their asses off and are focused on one thing: winning. I don't know how the season will play out, but as a fan I can't ask for more than that - even if it means Tua sits. Building a winning culture has to be the goal.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:43 am

re: the running schemes...

Some of that is the offensive line has to get better. Some of that is the talent at running back needs to improve. And some of that is opponents have been loading tackle boxes with extra defenders to prevent the Dolphins from running.

“We’ve tried to force it a few times just to keep them honest and haven’t made a lot of yards on it,” Gailey said. “I think we’re capable of it, and I think if people start taking away the pass, then we’ll start running it better.

“If they keep playing the run down there with an extra guy in the box, we’re going to keep throwing it.”

“We did a couple of things that were good. It was more of our counter game than it was of our just straight zone game. We’ve got to work on our zone game, that’s what we got to work.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article246438995.html

i think typically it takes young o-linemen a little more time to learn the intricacies/coordination of a zone scheme.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:04 am

mercury22nathan wrote:re: the running schemes...

Some of that is the offensive line has to get better. Some of that is the talent at running back needs to improve. And some of that is opponents have been loading tackle boxes with extra defenders to prevent the Dolphins from running.

“We’ve tried to force it a few times just to keep them honest and haven’t made a lot of yards on it,” Gailey said. “I think we’re capable of it, and I think if people start taking away the pass, then we’ll start running it better.

“If they keep playing the run down there with an extra guy in the box, we’re going to keep throwing it.”

“We did a couple of things that were good. It was more of our counter game than it was of our just straight zone game. We’ve got to work on our zone game, that’s what we got to work.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article246438995.html

i think typically it takes young o-linemen a little more time to learn the intricacies/coordination of a zone scheme.

Good info there. Yeah, I think the zone scheme can take a bit longer to implement, and that's yet another reason why losing all that preseason time really sucked.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:01 pm

If you're not used to zone blocking, it's an easy-sounding but tough-to-master discipline. There are a lot of quick decisions to make, particularly when teams are over shifting, or overloading, stunts, blitzes, etc. It sounds easy on paper to just block your zone, but it's actually quite disciplined, at least in my opinion.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down