The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game 15 thoughts: Dolphins at Raiders

+6
JMP
HalCHorn
CarsonChris
white1
JEGnj
DolFan 316
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Game 15 thoughts: Dolphins at Raiders Empty Game 15 thoughts: Dolphins at Raiders

Post by JMP Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:24 am

The Dolphins traveled to Las Vegas to take on the Raiders and the officiating crew try to keep their playoff hopes alive. The refs did everything they could to hand the Dolphins a loss, but in the end Jon Gruden and the Raiders did all they could to lose. In what can only be termed a Christmas Miracle, the Dolphins walked away with an all-but-impossible 26-25 victory. And, for the NFL Scorigami fans out there, this was the second consecutive week that the Dolphins played a game ending in a score that had never occurred in the modern-day NFL.

The game did not begin in miraculous fashion. The Dolphins got thoroughly outplayed and outcoached in every single phase of the game in the first half, and were lucky to be down by just 7 points at halftime. The game was simply not close at that point. We saw nothing but dink and dunk by Tua, as no receivers were able to get open down the field and Tua clearly didn’t trust them to make plays. The defense gave up tons of 10+ yard plays and, despite allowing just 13 points, looked like garbage. Special teams allowed a huge punt return that set up the Raiders’ lone first half TD. Just a pathetic performance all around.

The only highlights of the first half:
--Andrew Van Ginkel had a huge sack early in the 2nd quarter to knock the Raiders out of FG range. AVG also had a batted pass and a sack on consecutive plays later in the half, but unfortunately the Dolphins gave up an 18 yard run to the backup running back on the ensuing 3rd and 19 play.
--Clayton Fejedelem had a huge conversion on a fake punt on 3rd and short late in the first half, but it only led to a Dolphins’ FG to make the score 10-6. The Dolphins failed to convert a 3rd and short on the drive, which of course has been a problem all season.

The second half opened in excellent fashion, with the Dolphins tying the game with a 75-yard TD drive, capped by a tackle-breaking TD by Myles Gaskin on a shovel pass from Tua. The key plays on the drive were a 24-yard run by Gaskin and a huge third down reception by Isaiah Ford.

On the next drive, the Raiders got close to midfield but the Dolphins came up with a huge stuff on 4th and 1, led by Zach Seiler and Elandon Roberts. Unfortunately, the Dolphins went 3 and out on the ensuing drive, lowlighted by a Mack Hollins drop and a 3rd down sack that saw the OL get completely blown up.

Nik Needham made a huge tackle on a 3rd and goal pass late in the 3rd quarter. The Raiders settled for a FG to go up 16-13 at that point. After the Dolphins went three and out, the Raiders were starting a decent drive, but Xavien Howard broke up a pass on a 3rd down to force the Raiders to punt. That led to - surprise – another Miami 3 and out.

The Dolphins got the ball back with just under 10 minutes left in regulation, and they needed magic…not just any magic, but specifically – FitzMagic. Yes, Ryan Fitzpatrick replaced the dink-and-dunking Tua and proceeded to lead the team to a game-tying FG. It should have been a TD drive, but Hollins dropped yet another pass that would’ve been onside the 1 yardline if not a TD, and then Fitz missed a wide open Mike Gesicki in the endzone on 3rd down.

On the following drive, the Raiders scored an 85 yard TD by Nelson Agholor. Agholor had a blatant push off to get open, but the refs inexplicably did not throw the flag. That was the first of two backbreaking decisions by the refs, leading me to believe that professional sports should not be played in Vegas – if you know what I mean, and I bet (pun intended) you do. The Raiders missed the extra point after the score – REPEAT – the Raiders missed the extra point.

The Dolphins then took the 23-22 lead on a Fitz 5-yard pass to Gaskin that the RB turned into a highlight-reel 59-yard TD. The lead didn’t last long, as on the ensuing drive the refs handed the game to the Raiders with a bogus 49-yard pass interference penalty on Byron Jones. Absolute bullshit. The Raiders ate clock and decided not to score a TD, instead choosing to kick the go-ahead FG with 20 seconds left to end the game. REPEAT – the Gruden and the Raiders literally chose not to score a TD and took the FG instead.

So now, the Dolphins got the ball back with 19 seconds left, trailing 25-23. Game over? Nope. Coach Gruden forgot that games last 60 minutes…not 59 minutes and 41 seconds.

In a display of FitzMagic that the world has never seen before and will never see again, Ryan Fitzpatrick put the team on his back and willed them to victory – and he did it in an absolutely, 100% impossible way. Fitz dropped back to pass, got his head almost ripped off with the most vicious facemask I’ve ever seen, and somehow launched a radar-guided duck downfield – into the waiting arms of….the unlikeliest of heroes, Mack Hollins. Hollins did not drop this one, and with the 15-yard facemask penalty the Dolphins were now well within FG range. Jason Sanders came in and nailed a 44-yard FG to win the game. It was the most improbable victory I have ever seen, and one of the greatest regular season wins in the history of the Miami Dolphins.

And so, heading into week 17, the Dolphins are 10-5 and – somehow – still alive. The recipe for getting to the postseason is simple: beat the Bills, and we’re in. The game itself surely won’t be simple, but being alive in week 17 is really all you can ask for.

The Miami Dolphins are beyond fortunate to have Ryan Fitzpatrick on this team. The man is a lightning rod – he comes in the game, and everyone somehow lights up and plays out of their minds. Mike Gesicki couldn’t get open for 3 ½ quarters…suddenly, he’s open on every play. Mack Hollins couldn’t catch a damn thing for 3 ½ quarters…suddenly, he’s making the game-winning play. It’s unbelievable. Credit to Coach Flores for making the QB change at exactly the right time – and for quelling any controversy by immediately naming Tua the starter next week.

I am so damn proud of this team and their NEVER SAY DIE attitude. I basically gave up on them at halftime, but I should have known better. This team is NEVER out of it – NEVER.

GO PHINS!!!!!

Hero of the Game: Myles Gaskin deserves mention for his monster game – over 150 all-purpose yards. AVG deserves mention, for making plays when no one else on D was doing anything. Jason Sanders deserves credit, for kicking 4 FGs – including the game winner. But let’s be honest: the Hero of the Game was Ryan Fitzpatrick. Fitz carried the team and made the victory possible. He threw for 182 yards in less than 10 minutes of football, and his final completion was miraculous.

Goat of the Game: The officiating crew gets the nod for doing everything they could to give the Raiders the victory. I could mention the porous Dolphin defense, or the struggling Tua, or the special teams for giving up big returns to Hunter Renfrow – but none of that matters. We pulled a victory out of the jaws of defeat, and I have no complaints.

Beer of the Game: A couple of Stellas and a Heineken for the early games, and Montauk Cold Day IPAs for the Dolphins game

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Game 15 thoughts: Dolphins at Raiders Empty Re: Game 15 thoughts: Dolphins at Raiders

Post by JMP Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:28 am

Probably should've given Gruden a Hero of the Game mention. Pompous asshole slapped us in the face by kicking a FG and it came back to bite him in the ass.

Up your ass, Gruden - thanks for the gift you smug fuck. Never underestimate the power of FitzMagic!!!!!!!!!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Game 15 thoughts: Dolphins at Raiders Empty Re: Game 15 thoughts: Dolphins at Raiders

Post by JMP Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:40 am

On the downside, I'm guessing we lost Grant and Roberts for the rest of the season. I haven't heard any news, but both injuries looked ugly. Grant sucks, but he is experienced and has streaks where he makes plays - like tonight before he got hurt. Roberts is THE run stuffer on the defense - and he will be a huge loss.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:44 am

You know, a lot of coaches preach TEAM. Coach Flores does more than preach it - he does it. Replacing Fitz with Tua when the team needs a spark is brilliant...it's like WoodStrock part 2. It's not about replacing Tua - it's about winning games, by any means necessary. Tua's OK with it, Fitz is OK with it, the whole team is OK with it - and that's all because Flo is all about TEAM and WINNING. Coach of the Year, without question, and without regard to who the NFL gives the award to.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:47 am

BTW, I was crying like a baby when the Phins won. This game was such a rollercoaster, and to see the team come back the way they did and live to fight another day was just such an emotional moment. I love this team.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:50 am

I heard the Raiders had NO PENALTIES. As in zip, zilch, nada. That's all the proof I need that the fix was in. You can probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of games without a single penalty the Belichick-Brady Era Pats had in 18 years. (EDIT: Okay, the blatant facemask *would've* been a penalty had the result of the play not turned out so well, but my point still stands.)

Also, it's literally absurd that somehow, a 10-win team will miss an expanded postseason Evil or Very Mad  Seriously, that looks like such a great idea now doesn't it? Good one, NFL!

(My idea for years now has been to either eliminate divisions entirely and have just two conferences, or even no conferences at all. It just doesn't make any sense to expand the playoffs and still have a 7-8 win team get in because division champs while 10-win teams are left out just as they would've been before. My proposal also includes the changing of the schedule to eliminate teams playing each other twice. Instead, each team can play 15 others one season, 15 different ones the next, and a "designated rival" they play every season. This would keep the 16-game schedule intact and makes perfect sense for a 32-team non-division league.)

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:50 am

Hollins also had the key block that sprung the 59-yard Gaskin TD!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:53 am

DolFan 316 wrote:I heard the Raiders had NO PENALTIES. As in zip, zilch, nada. That's all the proof I need that the fix was in. You can probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of games without a single penalty the Belichick-Brady Era Pats had in 18 years.

the Raiders are a penalty machine year in and year out. So obvious that the refs were keeping the flags in their pockets for them all game. The two plays I mentioned were the most blatant, but there were others for sure.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:55 am

JMP wrote:BTW, I was crying like a baby when the Phins won.  This game was such a rollercoaster, and to see the team come back the way they did and live to fight another day was just such an emotional moment.  I love this team.

That's very manly of you to admit. Seriously. I don't think I've ever cried after a Fins win (I have after a couple of losses, though).

It simply would not be right or fair or just in the slightest for this team to miss the playoffs. It would also be like seeing the famous Helmet Catch in the first Giants-Pats Super Bowl...and then Eli getting picked on the next play and the Pats running out the clock. I can't help but think there's a point to this. It doesn't have the same feel that the clearly fluky '93 Cowboys win did, there really does seem to be a bigger and higher purpose to this.

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:56 am

Injuries, schminjuries, if this team can get to the playoffs they WILL win a game. They are finally tough enough to do it.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:03 am

Okay, whoever told me about the no penalties thing was incorrect, the box score sex the Raiduhs had four.

But this is why I despise ESPN. The first thing I see when I go to check the box score is this headline: Raiders called for roughing on Fitzmagic, sets up Dolphins' FG for the win. They're trying to push a narrative that the officials actually helped the FINS by handing them the winning FG when that's literally not what happened at all!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:09 am

JMP wrote:AVG deserves mention, for making plays when no one else on D was doing anything.

Box score sez Raiduhs were 0-10 on 3rd down, so the D must've done *something* right. Just sayin'. Cool

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:13 am

I fully support Tua and back him 100% but wishing we took Hebert at this point. This debate really won't be settled for years from now. Hopefully it clicks and Tua becomes elite but the O is totally different with Fitz. For the last 20 years last nights game was a L but we got the W and I'm enjoying it.

You all know I'm negative about the team and realize it's 100% about the future but this year Flores coaches his ass off. The players are young, and Dolphin's football is fun again. I want to make the playoffs. Let the players get some playoff experience.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:58 am

Great write up. We looked much better in a loss to the Chiefs. I’m thinking a couple factors mattered last night especially on defense - away game west coast and also late in the day.

If we get Parker back for next week that’s huge assuming Gesicki is also good to go. Bills are playing lights out right now, we will need all three phases on fire to get a win but I know they can do it.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:41 am

JEGnj wrote:I fully support Tua and back him 100% but wishing we took Hebert at this point. This debate really won't be settled for years from now. Hopefully it clicks and Tua becomes elite but the O is totally different with Fitz. For the last 20 years last nights game was a L but we got the W and I'm enjoying it.

You all know I'm negative about the team and realize it's 100% about the future but this year Flores coaches his ass off. The players are young, and Dolphin's football is fun again. I want to make the playoffs. Let the players get some playoff experience.

Today’s game is playoff experience and so is next weeks. They need the wins or no post season.

I’m back on the Tua isn’t showing enough bandwagon. Tua was drafted to be a game changer not a game manager. Right now he lacks the moxie to lead the team. We need Texas to lose today. A top five pick and a QB is in order. It’s okay to get it wrong. It’s not okay to keep living with the mistake.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:39 am

Herbert has looked really good at times but to be fair he's not playing games that matter. Of course we didn't expect to be playing games that matter and it's a nice bonus that we are this early in the rebuild.

I stated before the draft I'd be fine with any of the three QB's and they've all looked good for rookies this year.

Tua has shown enough for me to expect a big leap next year.

Fitz is a better backup than starter at this stage, and mentioning Don Strock is apt because that's exactly the kind of impact he can have coming off the bench. I hope he's back next year to keep mentoring Tua.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:41 pm

Tua is smart, accurate and doesn't turn the ball over. Those traits are what all winning QBs possess. He's performing at a ridiculously high level, with 10 TDs and just 2 INTs - astounding for a rookie with no preseason, just half a season practicing with starters and coming off a major injury. He needs to take the next step, which is gaining trust in his receivers. Right now, he only looks to throw to the open receiver and isn't giving the covered receivers a chance to fight for the ball downfield. And with the receivers he has, I can't blame him one bit. When you have a dominant defense, protecting the ball on offense is a priority - and Tua does that better than any rookie I can remember. He's going to be just fine - but in this "I want it now!" society we live in, people just aren't patient. But that's OK - he's starting, the team is winning, and he's gaining valuable experience every week. It's the best of all worlds for Miami.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:52 pm

Tua is doing everything that Gailey has asked him to do. Flores doesn't like turnovers. The Tua isn't showing enough bandwagon should watch more football.

The play calling isnt helping Tua develop
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:07 pm

Umix10 wrote:Tua is doing everything that Gailey has asked him to do.  Flores doesn't like turnovers.  The Tua isn't showing enough bandwagon should watch more football.

The play calling isnt helping Tua develop

All the more reason Gailey needs to go. But only after the playoff run ends, of course.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:26 pm

In Gailey's defense, he's been in Miami three seasons this century and we went 11-5, 11-5 and so far 10-5 in those three seasons. We have two 10 win seasons in the other 18 years without him.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:33 pm

Now why'd you have to go inserting facts into this, Hal? Mad Wink

But at his age, Gailey won't be around for long anyway. Might as well start the transition to the new OC ASAP, I don't think Fitz will be around next season to bail the team out.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:36 pm

i think Fitz earns a second contract. We have the cap space and maybe the best opportunity for him is to stay put. If Gailey would let loose and really coach Tua up instead of down, id say the numbers are there for Gailey to stay.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:47 am

It would be great if the Phins can squeeze one more year out of Fitz. Ultimately, I think he'll retire - but money does talk...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:59 am

It’s not the play calling that slows the offense it’s Tua. He hasn’t adjusted to the NFL. The receivers are covered tightly but he has to throw them open. The average distance the ball is thrown by Fitzpatrick is 7.8 yards per attempt. Tua throws 7.5. Basically the same. Where the fall off is is that Tua won’t let it rip downfield. Right now I say draft another QB to challenge Tua for playing time. I don’t want to watch another year of 100 yard passing games by an “elite” game changing QB where the offense comes alive when a QB with one foot in the grave steps on the field.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:34 am

The Phins will probably draft a QB because they will only have one QB after Fitz retires - but they aren't bringing in anyone to challenge Tua. You're fooling yourself if you think that.

Like it or not, this is Tua's team and he's playing well. The Dolphins are winning with him and he's not turning the ball over - that's the bottom line. The only thing missing from his game right now is the deep pass. And that will come once he gets more comfortable. His accuracy, pocket movement, ability to read defenses and manipulate defenders, and ability to go through progressions are all way ahead of your average rookie. He is going to be a special player - just needs more experience and seasoning.

I wonder if Seahawks fans were dying to replace Russell Wilson after his first 8 games? scratch

In his first 8 starts, Wilson had 10 passing TDs, 0 rushing TDs, 8 INTs, 15 sacks, 1466 yards passing, and 2 games with a rating of over 100. He had a 4-4 record.

In his first 8 starts, Tua has 10 passing TDs, 3 rushing TDs, 2 INTs, 19 sacks, 1444 yards passing, and 2 games with a rating of over 100. He has a 6-2 record.

And keep in mind - as a rookie Wilson was completely healthy and had a full offseason with starter reps.

The Dolphins are 10-5 and getting good, solid, winning QB play from a rookie QB for the first time sine 1983, and Dolfans just can't stop complaining. It's really unbelievable. Neutral

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next