The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fins Have Less Cap Room Than You Think

4 posters

Go down

Fins Have Less Cap Room Than You Think Empty Fins Have Less Cap Room Than You Think

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:38 pm

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/02/dolphins-lose-8mm-in-cap-space

Can't see them trading for Watson now. I also can't see them suddenly deciding to pay Howard more. This might also cause them to trade down from #3 regardless of who they want to pick. Then again, they're still not as bad off as seemingly 75% of teams who are in major trouble and will have to release players left and right.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Fins Have Less Cap Room Than You Think Empty Re: Fins Have Less Cap Room Than You Think

Post by JMP Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:02 am

They're right about where I thought they'd be. They can and will cut players and adjust salaries, and will have plenty of money to sign rookies and a couple of low to mid-tier free agents. They can also sign one big FA if they structure the contract right. And don't be surprised if they sign a couple of bigger FAs to one-year deals...guys that were cut because of all the cap issues this year and will want to do a "prove it" deal. Most teams are in cap hell (look at the Saints and Eagles!!!), so a lot of good players will be available and there's only so many teams that can sign them. The Phins are in position to get some top veteran talent if they choose to go that route.

Never gonna happen, but for argument's sake - Watson's salary is cap-friendly this year, so if the Dolphins did want him they could easily fit him. It's next season that becomes problematic, as his salary more than doubles.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Fins Have Less Cap Room Than You Think Empty Re: Fins Have Less Cap Room Than You Think

Post by finfanatic Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:49 am

Yeah, I think the escalator clauses that were counting on the cap increasing every year are about to bite some teams and players in the arses.

I have no idea what the Phins are gonna do. After last years free agency period I was really confused, so I suspect I will be confused this year as well.

Very Happy
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:31 am

Cap room is and always has been fake money. Teams can always work around it for a special player, and there are only a very few rare instances where mismanagement has broken a team into "cap hell". That's why you hear about them.

The Fins are doing a fine job of signing reasonable, team friendly contracts with early outs. I have no question if we trade for Watson, we can do so and still manage to the cap successfully.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:26 pm

W1 is correct.

The dreaded "Salary Cap Evisceration" does not exist.

It is a hard cap, but as long as you can restructure and try to keep the dead money from getting out of hand, you can manage.

If the cap limit starts DECREASING year after year though....
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:52 pm

JMP wrote:They're right about where I thought they'd be.  They can and will cut players and adjust salaries, and will have plenty of money to sign rookies and a couple of low to mid-tier free agents.

And yet you act surprised when they cut Van Noy...

To me the best part of the offseason will be seeing all the spoiled brat players who were paid top 5 salaries at their positions and still whined about it not being enough getting a rude awakening. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

The worst part will be that when (if) these guys eventually sign for way less than they think they're worth, they'll be causing locker room problems for sure.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:36 am

white1 wrote:Cap room is and always has been fake money.  Teams can always work around it for a special player, and there are only a very few rare instances where mismanagement has broken a team into "cap hell".  That's why you hear about them.

The Fins are doing a fine job of signing reasonable, team friendly contracts with early outs.  I have no question if we trade for Watson, we can do so and still manage to the cap successfully.

The latest PFF mock has them giving up (takes deep breath) Tua, Howard, both firsts this year AND a first next year for Watson. Grier and Flores would literally have to be idiots to do this.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-mock-draft-carolina-panthers-byu-zach-wilson-trade-lsu-jamarr-chase-atlanta-falcons

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:02 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
And yet you act surprised when they cut Van Noy...

When the team cuts a well-respected team leader that made lots of plays? Yep, I'm surprised. I understand the move now that I've had time to think about it, but absolutely it was a surprise.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:03 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
white1 wrote:Cap room is and always has been fake money.  Teams can always work around it for a special player, and there are only a very few rare instances where mismanagement has broken a team into "cap hell".  That's why you hear about them.

The Fins are doing a fine job of signing reasonable, team friendly contracts with early outs.  I have no question if we trade for Watson, we can do so and still manage to the cap successfully.

The latest PFF mock has them giving up (takes deep breath) Tua, Howard, both firsts this year AND a first next year for Watson. Grier and Flores would literally have to be idiots to do this.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-mock-draft-carolina-panthers-byu-zach-wilson-trade-lsu-jamarr-chase-atlanta-falcons

Oh my God...the Dolphins are NOT trading for Watson. Why does the media keep hyping this???

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:26 am

Agree with JMP - while a pipe dream to acquire a 25 year old franchise QB, likely this is NOT going to happen.

Regarding DF comment and link:

OMG yes that is way too much. Generally, I've read it will take the equivalent of 4 first round picks to get Watson. That's still a great haul for Houston, and fair representation of how talented and valuable a QB like Watson is.

However - X Howard value has never been higher. And he's not even the top paid CB on the team, let alone the league, so that makes him even more valuable in a potential trade. He's worth AT LEAST a 1st and 3rd, more likely two firsts. If we assume two firsts for Howard, then two more firsts gets the trade done. The two we have this year would be worth more than another team that could offer one this year and one in 2022.

So #3 overall, #18 plus Howard is fair value. PFF mock goes over in adding Tua plus another first. By my math that would be SIX first round picks... again way too much and WAY MORE than ANY team could offer for Watson.

Let's also recall Watson has a "no trade" clause, so you're only bidding against the teams he would agree to be traded to - not the entire league. This has the effect of actually reducing his value in trade because you're limiting the pool of teams competing for him.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:04 am

I still think there's no way Watson gets traded. The Texans have absolutely no reason to trade him, and I don't think he's going to sit out and lose $20 million.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:29 pm

Yeah will be interesting to watch for sure. They pissed him off and they are going nowhere fast, but he’s the ideal building block for a team in that position.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:59 pm

The irony is that the price a team would have to pay to get Watson would be high enough to cripple them to the point where there's no way they'd win squat with him, which would lead to Watson complaining about his situation yet again a year from now and likely demanding once again that he be allowed to tell his new team who to sign and draft to "fix them".

A person who signs a 6-7 year contract and wants out of it just months later is a person who will literally never be happy or satisfied no matter how much they get their way. Avoid those people in life at all costs.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:53 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:The irony is that the price a team would have to pay to get Watson would be high enough to cripple them to the point where there's no way they'd win squat with him, which would lead to Watson complaining about his situation yet again a year from now and likely demanding once again that he be allowed to tell his new team who to sign and draft to "fix them".

A person who signs a 6-7 year contract and wants out of it just months later is a person who will literally never be happy or satisfied no matter how much they get their way. Avoid those people in life at all costs.

Absolutely!! cheers cheers

We already know that Watson can't win with a weak roster - that's been proven. No QB can. Hell, Watson didn't even win anything when he had Deandre Hopkins and a strong defense. Why would anyone believe he'll win on a different team that has a weak roster and limited resources?

And remember 6 months ago when he was crying tears of joy for signing a long-term deal to play for the great Texans in the fabulous city of Houston? Yeah, that sure seems like a load of crap in retrospect. Screw this guy - let him rot at home while he loses $20 million if he wants to be an asshole. The worst thing you can do with a guy like that is give in to his demands.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down