The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phins Releasing Van Noy

+6
mercury22nathan
DolFan 316
finfanatic
Umix10
JMP
white1
10 posters

Go down

Phins Releasing Van Noy Empty Phins Releasing Van Noy

Post by white1 Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:50 pm

I know he will be expensive, but I don't fully understand this move.

Here's the link: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/02/report-dolphins-tell-kyle-van-noy-hell-be-released/

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Phins Releasing Van Noy Empty Re: Phins Releasing Van Noy

Post by JMP Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:04 pm

WTF!! I don't get it. He was arguably our best front 7 player, and a leader.

The only thing that makes sense is that the Phins are freeing up cap space to make a big move in free agency. Corey Linsley?? Lavonte David?? Aaron Jones?? A receiver??

Barry Jackson
@flasportsbuzz
Kyle Van Noy, cut by Dolphins today, releases statement saying he is "surprised and disappointed in their decision" to release him.
1:41 PM · Mar 2, 2021

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:07 pm

Yep, one of the beat writers mentioned this about a week ago (cant recall which one).

They said there are two ways to continue rebuild: Slow and steady or aggressive.

If aggressive - then watch for the team to start clearing space. Well, I think we know which way we are going...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:28 pm

I'll say this...Flores doesn't hesitate. When he he sees something he wants to change, he changes it. No wishy washy bullshit here.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:46 pm

I love KVN. He was classic and his demeanor was exactly the kind of leadership on defense this team needs.

I'm wondering if he is a victim of circumstance. Wondering if his contract was the only viable option to re-contract Xavien Howard, while still saving money to get Jones or Linsley
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:58 pm

Well PFF highlighted Van Ginkel vs Van Noy - comparable stats and Van G got about half the snaps. Also, 3 of Van Noy six sacks came against Cincy - so if upgrading the pass rush is a priority (I think it is) it makes sense he's not a priority to retain at his salary.

I hope the target is not Aaron Jones.

Here's my preferred priority:

- Pass rusher (someone said Hassan Reddick? AZ FA)
- Center / Guard (I'll take Linsley)
- Receiver - and preferably not the most expensive on the market.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:23 pm

Yeah... I was really surprised by some of the free agent moves last year as well.

As I hear Bill Polian say all the time, fans THINK they know what is going on with the team and think they know the plan,
but the majority of the time, they do not have a clue.

I guess unless you are sitting in the meetings with Grier and Flores, etc.... you really DON'T KNOW until they make a move.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:55 pm

white1 wrote:Yep, one of the beat writers mentioned this about a week ago (cant recall which one).  

They said there are two ways to continue rebuild:   Slow and steady or aggressive.  

If aggressive - then watch for the team to start clearing space.  Well, I think we know which way we are going...

This was a 10-6 non-playoff team last season. They *have* to make the playoffs this season or else.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:54 am

this is what happens when you're a good player, but getting paid like a great one.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:01 am

One of the knocks on Van Noy, and this goes back to New England, is that he's always in the right place at the right time - but he doesn't always make the play. So I think that may be part of it, and with the salary and the emergence of Van Ginkle, KVN just wasn't worth it anymore.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:49 am

Gutsy move, we will have to see if it pans out, but when the younger player is ready to take over, a coach striving to be great will pull the trigger. (i.e. Jimmy releasing Del Rio to let Zach play)

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:32 pm

Great analogy and at LB especially you go with the player on rookie deal and deal with the growing pains. Have to know what he’s worth when rookie deal expires it happens fast
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:01 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:this is what happens when you're a good player, but getting paid like a great one.

A whole lot of players are about to find this out the hard way, and TBH I just can't muster up any sympathy for them.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:09 pm

HalCHorn wrote:Gutsy move, we will have to see if it pans out, but when the younger player is ready to take over, a coach striving to be great will pull the trigger.  (i.e. Jimmy releasing Del Rio to let Zach play)

Oh does THAT bring back memories!!! I was SO excited when Del Rio was signed because I remembered him having a good game VS the Fins as a Viking 2 years before. I didn't even know he was 33, that probably would've changed my opinion a bit. It was a different world back then as far as info was concerned for sure.

I also remember liking Zach based on one game I just happened to see him in because I was bored one night (I've told this story before) and was glad when JJ drafted him, not even knowing at the time he was actually the third player JJ took in the 5th round Shocked And then the next thing I know my grandparents are sending me newspaper clippings saying that...Zach had beaten Del Rio out of a job and run him out of the league Shocked Shocked Now I'm thinking that this Zach Thomas guy is even better than I thought! Laughing

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:18 pm

If Van Noy is in the way of moving forward and that's the reason Flores just let him go, I'm thrilled.  It's nice to have that kind of Bellichickian presence around.  It's cold, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:19 am

Degarmo wrote:It's cold, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Yep, it's good to finally have someone that is willing and able to make the tough decisions.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:40 pm

30 million guaranteed. Another brilliant move by this front office. Sorry, this is some bull shit again. Build a team by doling out 30 million guaranteed and cutting the player after a year. Sorry, another Grier bad investment!

I will be happy when Grier gets fired!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:52 pm

CarsonChris wrote:30 million guaranteed. Another brilliant move by this front office. Sorry, this is some bull shit again. Build a team by doling out 30 million guaranteed and cutting the player after a year. Sorry, another Grier bad investment!

I will be happy when Grier gets fired!

Wrong. Van Noy got $15 million.  EDIT with corrected info from ESPN: Van Noy had a $12.5 million salary in 2021 that was guaranteed for injury only, so the Dolphins would save that full amount and leave $4.125 million in dead cap on the books. His deal will end up being for one year, $15 million in Miami.

Looking back, it was a brilliant contract. We had an easy out after year one, and we took it to save $10 million in a low-cap season.  You're going to see a lot more contracts like that throughout the league this season.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:55 am

Sounds like the Phins are trying to work out a trade for Van Noy before they release him. Supposedly several teams want him, so we'll have to see if any of them would be willing to give up a pick to guarantee getting him. Getting a pick would be excellent...fingers crossed!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:23 am

that would be great. i wonder of that lessens the dead money (albeit relatively small) hit too?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:33 pm

At First I wasn’t Happy but when I saw the Numbers and this Year Salary I understand why they Did it and Van Winkle needs to Play more. Came back for Free Agency needed to Recover after Brady Wins another Super Bowl, Still Trying to Figure out if We Go to A Parallel Universe When Football Season Starts where One Guy Just keep Winning and Winning Like The Movie Groundhog Day.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down