The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phins get under the cap

+2
finfanatic
JMP
6 posters

Go down

Phins get under the cap Empty Phins get under the cap

Post by JMP Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:26 am

The Phins restructured Chubb and Armstead, and cut Cethan Carter. They are now about $11 million under the cap. They'll get another $13.6 million on June 2 for Byron Jones.

They can restructure Hill and Connor Williams, and extend Wilkins and Sieler, to get more money. I'm sure there will be more moves as well.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Phins get under the cap Empty Re: Phins get under the cap

Post by finfanatic Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:31 am

IS it just me or is this cap situation abysmal?

31 free agents and they are over the cap on the 22 they have under contract?

And they are pushing more money out into the future to get under the cap now so they can push more money into future years?

But when you can't draft and have to sign big money free agents or trade for players other teams will not sign because they are asking for too much money, this is what you get I guess.

The Phins aint at the point of the bloodletting yet, but if this keeps up, it is coming IMHO.
finfanatic
finfanatic

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:44 am

finfanatic wrote:IS it just me or is this cap situation abysmal?

And they are pushing more money out into the future to get under the cap now so they can push more money into future years?

But when you can't draft and have to sign big money free agents or trade for players other teams will not sign because they are asking for too much money, this is what you get I guess.

The Phins aint at the point of the bloodletting yet, but if this keeps up, it is coming IMHO.

It's not just you. I thought Grier was supposed to be a cap savant but it sure doesn't look like it to me right now scratch It's almost as if he knows he's a goner and is going out of his way to make sure the next GM steps into a prodigious pile of poo.

Then again if it's any consolation most teams are in the same situation due to years of massively overpaying players because "the market" Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Yeah, the same market that makes them have to get rid of those same players 2-3 years later to get back under the cap so they can overpay a new batch! The only teams who ever seem to have loads of cap room are the ones at the bottom of the barrel each season.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:53 am

finfanatic wrote:IS it just me or is this cap situation abysmal?

I don't think it's a big deal at all. Almost every team is in the same boat - it's the nature of the salary cap. I used to worry - a lot - about the cap, but as we see every year it really isn't an obstacle. The Saints started this offseason at $55+ million over the cap, and still managed to sign a top free agent QB. Yes, pushing money back adds up later, but the cap goes up every year and you can always find ways to manipulate the numbers.

If anything, I think the Phins have been one of the more cap-savvy teams ever since Tannenbaum left the building. Most of the big contracts they've handed out are cap-friendly deals that are easy to maneuver, and have gone to good players.

I'd also add that a good percentage of the core players on this team came through the draft: Tua, Waddle, Hunt, Howard, Wilkins, Phillips, Baker, Holland, and Sanders.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:02 am

DolFan 316 wrote:

It's not just you. I thought Grier was supposed to be a cap savant but it sure doesn't look like it to me right now scratch It's almost as if he knows he's a goner and is going out of his way to make sure the next GM steps into a prodigious pile of poo.

Huh? How do you figure that? The fact that we even have players to restructure indicates that the contracts were good for the Dolphins. All of the big contracts they've handed out have easy outs and also have built-in ways to restructure without destroying the cap down the road. And right now, the Dolphins are below the league average in allotted cap space and above the league average in available cap space - and that's after just 2 easily-done (and anticipated) restructures. You want to see a "prodigious pile of poo"? Take a look at the Bucs' current cap situation!

Grier and his staff have done an excellent job with the cap, and the Dolphins are in great shape now and in the future. And as much as everyone hates him despite building the best roster and coaching staff the Phins have had in decades, Grier isn't going anywhere.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:19 am

Now Tyreek Hill restructured - frees up almost $18 million more in cap space.  The Phins should have almost $30 million in cap space at the moment, and they're not done creating space yet.

With these moves, I fully expect the Phins to add a LB and OL in free agency...and maybe even Jordan Poyer!

Last edited by JMP on Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:33 am

Agree. It's excellent work.

We never tie ourselves to a player that's a total bust, and we don't hand out guarantees unless it's for a beast (like Tyreek Hill or Chubb).

Not worried about the cap at all, and these moves make me think the Fins have a target or two in mind for free agency. Can't wait to see who they sign.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:26 am

white1 wrote:
Not worried about the cap at all, and these moves make me think the Fins have a target or two in mind for free agency.  Can't wait to see who they sign.

Yep, I definitely think they have a couple of players in mind. My guesses: at least one of RT Mike McGlinchey, LB Lavonte David, S Jordan Poyer.

This is unlikely, but I would also keep an eye on Orlando Brown...if the Phins can convince him to play RT for a year or two till Armstead retires...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:08 pm

now that the Phins have freed up all this cap room, they've gone out and made a free agent splash...

Salvon Ahmed has agreed to return to the team for another season. The deal is said to be for just one year and is worth up to $1.8 million.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/10/dolphins-to-re-sign-rb-salvon-ahmed-to-one-year-deal/

just kidding.  but hey, at least they now have a RB on the roster.  Laughing

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:21 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:now that the Phins have freed up all this cap room, they've gone out and made a free agent splash...

Salvon Ahmed has agreed to return to the team for another season. The deal is said to be for just one year and is worth up to $1.8 million.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/10/dolphins-to-re-sign-rb-salvon-ahmed-to-one-year-deal/

just kidding.  but hey, at least they now have a RB on the roster.  Laughing

LOL Gotta start somewhere! This was actually a smart, if small-scale, move. Ahmed was a restricted free agent, and the lowest tender amount is $2.8 million. So the Phins kept him for a million bucks less that he was going to get. I think he'll have a chance to compete for the #3 job, and if he loses out he's an easy cut.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:42 pm

A part of me is sad to see the Ahmed-Gaskin combo get broken up Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Seriously. It's not every day that two RBs who are college teammates for years end up on the same NFL team for years as well. It's probably just me, but I thought it was kinda neat.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:00 pm

I suspect McGlinchy is gonna get a HUGE Contract elsewhere, but who knows?

David was once really good, but...he's 33!

I still think Tremaine Edmunds would be a good fit, and take away from the Bills.

But whoever Fangio is okay with is okay with me.

I just wonder what was up with Gaskin last year. He was not a great RB but it was like he had the plague or something?
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Phins get under the cap Empty Fins working to trade for Jalen Ramsey

Post by white1 Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:17 pm

Schefter believes it's on the path to getting done, not done yet.

Miami Herald report on this topic: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article272800350.html

The Dolphins are in advanced discussions to acquire six-time Pro Bowl cornerback Jalen Ramsey from the Los Angeles Rams, NFL Network first reported on Sunday. Acquiring Ramsey would give Miami a top-flight boundary cornerback, in his prime at age 28, to pair with former Pro Bowl cornerback Xavien Howard. That would allow Kader Kohou or another player to play the nickel role and address a position that was Miami’s top priority this offseason.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article272800350.html#storylink=cpy
white1
white1

JMP and finskev like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:17 pm

Oops, meant to post this as a new topic Smile
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:39 pm

Trade has been Finalized we gave up a 3rd Rd Pick in 23 & Hunter Long TE.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:59 pm

finfanatic wrote:

David was once really good, but...he's 33!  

I still think Tremaine Edmunds would be a good fit, and take away from the Bills.

Edmunds is way too inconsistent for the money he'll get. They're talking about $15 million a year for him, and I don't want him at all if the price is anything close to that.

David remains one of the top MLBs in the game. He is old, and would only be a one or two year stop gap, but I'd take him in a heartbeat.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down