The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phins sign QB Jacoby Brissett and RB Malcolm Brown

5 posters

Go down

Phins sign QB Jacoby Brissett and RB Malcolm Brown Empty Phins sign QB Jacoby Brissett and RB Malcolm Brown

Post by JMP Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:14 pm

Brissett was my #1 target for the backup QB job. Absolutely love this signing. He's a big, strong experienced QB, with 32 starts under his belt and an excellent TD-INT ratio of 31-13. Perfect backup, and he can also be used in short-yardage packages.

Malcolm Brown gives us a big, physical short-yardage back and a veteran presence in a young QB room. He's a solid blocker and decent receiver. I think this is a very good depth signing...hopefully we can now avoid the disaster of last season when we had a new back every week for awhile there. Hopefully Brown can also be a mentor to the new rookie starter.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Phins sign QB Jacoby Brissett and RB Malcolm Brown Empty Re: Phins sign QB Jacoby Brissett and RB Malcolm Brown

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:31 pm

Backup??? Brissett will be the starter soon enough, all he has to do is beat out Tua or wait for the inevitable injury Razz

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Phins sign QB Jacoby Brissett and RB Malcolm Brown Empty Re: Phins sign QB Jacoby Brissett and RB Malcolm Brown

Post by JMP Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:40 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:Backup??? Brissett will be the starter soon enough, all he has to do is beat out Tua or wait for the inevitable injury Razz

LOL He signed a one-year deal for backup money. He knows his role. But if Tua does get hurt, we now have a capable young backup that doesn't throw INTs. Fitz was incredible and I can't say enough good things about him, but he was (and is) at the end of the line. And let's face it...you're just as likely to get FitzTragic as you are FitzMagic!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:07 pm

Tua WILL be benched or miss significant time this season, mark my words.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:09 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:Tua WILL be benched or miss significant time this season, mark my words.

OK. Feel free to send me some winning lottery numbers since you can see the future! cyclops

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:54 pm

My feeling is that the dolphins are trying to outsmart themselves. They aren’t going after the upper tier free agents. I get it over spending is as much of a caution as pickling the wrong guy.

But let’s face it how hard is it to entice lower tier players. Andrew’s? Brown? Seriously, it is what it is it can’t be that difficult to sign these guys. Don’t know who they are trying to fool! They’ve done a good job of keepin the cap to a neccessity but we still need players on offense

It just seems
Like they are content with building through a 5yr plan instead of a 3yr plan. Even if getting Watson is the plan we still be going backwards because of the dumpster sale that we would need to unload contracts. I’m sure jones and Howard don’t wanna hang out that long
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:54 am

Umix10 wrote:My feeling is that the dolphins are trying to outsmart themselves.  They aren’t going after the upper tier free agents.  I get it over spending is as much of a caution as pickling the wrong guy.  

But let’s face it how hard is it to entice lower tier players.  Andrew’s?  Brown?  Seriously,  it is what it is it can’t be that difficult to sign these guys. Don’t know who they are trying to fool!  They’ve done a good job of keepin the cap to a neccessity but we still need players on offense

It just seems
Like they are content with building through a 5yr plan instead of a 3yr plan.  Even if getting Watson is the plan we still be going backwards because of the dumpster sale that we would need to unload contracts.  I’m sure jones and Howard don’t wanna hang out that long

The Dolphins aren't outsmarting themselves. They are just choosing to build their team in a different way than some other teams. Instead of trying to build a one or two-year contender, they are attempting to build a perennial contender. They're doing it by building through the draft and being smart with the cap, so that they don't screw themselves in the future the way the Bucs, Saints, Chiefs, Pats, etc. have done and are doing. You can argue the merits of one vs. the other, but it is a legit plan.

There are still many good free agent receivers available, and this is one of the most loaded WR drafts I've ever seen. The starting RB will also come from the draft.

Absolutely no reason to panic. Free agency officially starts today and the Dolphins will have plenty of opportunities to upgrade the roster both now and in April.

Keep this in mind too: a lot of good veteran players are going to get cut in the next few weeks. The Dolphins have put themselves in position to sign a couple of those players, and those signings will not impact the compensatory pick formula. I think that is key: the Phins are hoping to get a couple of comp picks next year.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:19 am

i like the Brissett signing. i thought of all the backup possibilities on the market, he made the most sense. i still don't understand how Tyrod Taylor gets $12.5M for one year and Brissett only gets $5M plus $2.5M incentives. scratch good deal for Miami.

as far as Brown - he's a serviceable RB and hopefully provides some short yardage benefits. i agree this doesn't really change anything at the RB position and the Phins still need to draft a workhorse starter relatively high come this April. assuming Brown sticks as the primary backup, this does make 2 of the following 3 redundant/gone: Gaskins, Ahmed and Laird. but Brown may not be a guarantee consider his best years have been in the Rams zone stretch running scheme...assuming that is not the scheme Miami will run.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:07 am

Just my opinion, a strong offensive line will do more for our running game than any back we acquire. For example, adding Sewell or Slater to the mix and improving the push / holes up front. Gaskins, Ahmed and Brown can all work in a successful running attack if the line is good enough.

Helps the passing game too by giving Tua a clean pocket and more time for receivers to get separation. Tua release time was very fast last year, if I recall correctly. How much separation can a receiver get in 2.5 seconds?

Again this is just my opinion. My advice: Keep building the line up and watch the offense magically blossom...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:08 am

Just saw that Brown signed a 1-year fully guaranteed $1.75 million deal...which is nothing. So he can be easily cut if necessary. But I think he sticks.

I think Ahmed is gone. He was a great story, but his pass blocking is atrocious and will seal his fate. Laird has a chance to stick if we keep 4 backs.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:10 am

white1 wrote:Just my opinion, a strong offensive line will do more for our running game than any back we acquire.  For example, adding Sewell or Slater to the mix and improving the push / holes up front.  Gaskins, Ahmed and Brown can all work in a successful running attack if the line is good enough.

Helps the passing game too by giving Tua a clean pocket and more time for receivers to get separation.  Tua release time was very fast last year, if I recall correctly.  How much separation can a receiver get in 2.5 seconds?

Again this is just my opinion.  My advice:  Keep building the line up and watch the offense magically blossom...

I definitely think we'll continue to build the OL - but I don't think we'll draft a lineman in round 1.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:18 pm

JMP wrote:I definitely think we'll continue to build the OL - but I don't think we'll draft a lineman in round 1.

The Packers have conclusively shown that a team doesn't need to anyway.

http://www.footballperspective.com/which-offensive-lines-were-built-with-high-draft-picks/

I don't think any of us are against drafting an O-lineman at all. Some of us just happen to think that top 5 picks should be reserved for playmakers, and also there was the Jake Long Experience.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:36 pm

I have no problem drafting linemen in the first...just not in the top 10 unless it's someone truly special. I thought Sewell might fit that category, but the more I look at him I think he's just very good and not the next Orlando Pace.

On another note, we signed Brissett for about half of what the Texans paid Tyrod Taylor. Texans gonna Texan, no matter who is in charge of that mess...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down