The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Post FA

+2
DolFan 316
CarsonChris
6 posters

Go down

Post FA Empty Post FA

Post by CarsonChris Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:34 pm

We all agreed two of the biggest needs on offense at the end of the year were stud receiver and upgrade at running back.

With the addition of Fuller and the fact RB isn't considered as important in the draft going to influence who we pick with our first 3 picks? Does edge rusher and mike linebacker become the top priority followed by RB?

Miami has only drafted one edge rusher since Grier started screwing, I mean running the draft. Harris was abysmal.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post FA Empty Re: Post FA

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:26 am

I heard Clowney is still out there. You know, the guy who didn't want to sign with the Fins when the media was yammering about how horrible they were and how they were tanking on purpose. I bet he's rethinking that stance now Laughing And it's not even as if I'm advocating that Clowney be signed. I wouldn't be crazy about it, but IMO he'd be better than the paper-thin crop of edge rushers in this draft at least. The more I look at this group the less I like it. In my latest mocks I've decided to trade down from 18 entirely because it's too high to take an edge rusher OR a RB and I just take a RB at 36 (usually Williams) and then Basham at 50 or so.

And this team still needs a stud WR, seeing as they don't have a single one out of the 13 or so that can even be counted on to play every game in a season let alone be great. I might even draft two, they've got the picks to do it if they want.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:22 am

With free agency, the Phins have put themselves in position to let the draft come to them and choose BPA. I don't think they're going to panic and overdraft an edge rusher in round one, simply because the value isn't there. It's such an underwhelming group. It's possible that they fall in love with a guy like Basham or Phillips, but again I just don't see it at 18. I'm guessing they go Pitts or Smith at #6, and then RB or WR at #18 - but I think a trade down at 18 is very likely.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:55 am

If the Bengals go Jamar Chase, the Phins will HAVE TO TAKE SEWELL!!! Just like I predicted in January!! Post FA 1f621

And then at 18, they draft a Safety or CB, cause Flores loves him some DBs! Let's hope this one is better than Iggy and who can forget Dumbstedt's demise, Jamar Fletcher!

Let's HOPE NOT, but I am somewhat afeared the Bengals are gonna FORCE Grier to have to pass on Sewell. And I just do not think he can!!
finfanatic
finfanatic

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:33 am

finfanatic wrote:If the Bengals go Jamar Chase, the Phins will HAVE TO TAKE SEWELL!!!  Just like I predicted in January!!    Post FA 1f621

And then at 18, they draft a Safety or CB, cause Flores loves him some DBs!    Let's hope this one is better than Iggy and  who can forget Dumbstedt's demise, Jamar Fletcher!

Let's HOPE NOT, but I am somewhat afeared the Bengals are gonna FORCE Grier to have to pass on Sewell. And I just do not think he can!!

I don't think the Phins will take Sewell. Interior OL seems to be much more of a need than tackle, and they just used 1st and 2nd round picks on tackles last year. When they made the decision to trade down from 3, they did so knowing that Sewell might be gone - which tells me that he is not their target.

IMO the Dolphins will not take a DB at 18. There won't be any value there.

Don't give up on Iggy yet...he is one of the youngest players in the NFL, and his skillset is a perfect match for Miami's D. He just needs some seasoning.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:10 pm

Speed seems to be the theme that Miami is going for in WR corps.  They aren't overly concerned about getting an Alpha receiver.  They had a chance to get one but chose a low risk prospect on a prove it deal. Getting someone like Waddle or Smith at 6 would be a reach to me based on what they've done thus far.  Im guessing they want versatile guys who can line up all over the field.  Which brings me to Pitts or Sewell. 2 guys that are by far the top guys at their position.

Gesicki and Pitts will give opposing teams nightmares.  Sewell will only improve the already improving OL.  With a better back say, Javonte Williams or Najee Harris even a guy like Rhamondre Stevenson could really bolster the passing game and the running game.  

IMHO moving back into the 6th slot was for this very reason.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:56 pm

Yeah, I think Waddle is the next Tyrek Hill so obviously that means he would be my pick. He is coming off an injury though.

I keep hearing people say Chase is the next Antonio Brown? Maybe. After his pro day I can see why the comparisons. He can cut on a dime and give you .30 change!

D Smith. Hard to argue with the performance from last season, but he is rather smallish. I will not weep with despair if he is the pick for sure.

Pitts - A mismatch nightmare for opposing defenses. IF... If... he continues that in the NFL he will be a dramatic game-changing receiver. But, he is a TE, and he only had one breakout season, so...

Sewell - I hope JMP is right and Sewell is off the Phins board. I think there are some good OTs later in the draft that are good. Not as good as Sewell, but if they get a Leatherwood AND Devonta Smith that should far outweigh how good Sewell is IMO. I agree with Hal and think the rookies from last year are going to show some huge improvement this year. But getting a solid RT to allow the Phins to shift Hunt inside to Guard would be a good move IMO.

I don't know. I guess this is why Grier gets paid the big bucks. I really hope he gets this draft right.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:48 pm

Umix10 wrote:Speed seems to be the theme that Miami is going for in WR corps.  They aren't overly concerned about getting an Alpha receiver.  They had a chance to get one but chose a low risk prospect on a prove it deal. Getting someone like Waddle or Smith at 6 would be a reach to me based on what they've done thus far.  Im guessing they want versatile guys who can line up all over the field.  Which brings me to Pitts or Sewell. 2 guys that are by far the top guys at their position.

I agree that the Dolphins are looking for versatility and speed. But I don't see how Smith and Waddle would be considered reaches with those things in mind. Waddle is the fastest of the 4 players in the conversation, and has lined up everywhere. He may be the most versatile receiver in the draft. Likewise, Smith can and has lined up everywhere as well, and is a "do it all" type of receiver. Both are much more versatile than Chase, and there's no way Chase is faster than them on the playing field.

I also completely disagree that Chase is the top WR. At best, with just one year as a starter and no game action in over a year, we could say he's "incomplete". Smith has the body of work as a true alpha stud receiver, including just coming off arguably the best season any college receiver has ever had.

Pitts certainly fits the bill as well with versatility and speed - but we already have Gesicki, so I really have no idea what the Phins would do if he fell to 6. I think he's high on their list, but I don't think he's their top choice.

Bottom line for me - the best receiving fit for Miami in this class is Smith, and it's not close. He is exactly what this offense needs to get to the next level.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:51 pm

finfanatic wrote:

D Smith. Hard to argue with the performance from last season, but he is rather smallish. I will not weep with despair if he is the pick for sure.

He's actually not small at all - he's skinny. There's a difference. He's taller than Chase and has incredibly long arms and huge hands. I would argue that he has the best stiff-arm I've seen in college the past couple of seasons, and despite being skinny I've never seen him get jammed at the line. He's also a pretty decent blocker and doesn't play soft at all. They don't call him the "Slim Reaper" for nothing!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:26 am

I agree, JMP, Smith is the best fit for Miami. I also like the idea of having a lot of competent to excellent receivers with no alpha.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:04 am

JMP wrote:
finfanatic wrote:

He's actually not small at all - he's skinny.  There's a difference.  He's taller than Chase and has incredibly long arms and huge hands.  I would argue that he has the best stiff-arm I've seen in college the past couple of seasons, and despite being skinny I've never seen him get jammed at the line.  He's also a pretty decent blocker and doesn't play soft at all.  They don't call him the "Slim Reaper" for nothing!

I have seen Smith compared to Marvin Harrison, that HOF WR (who had Peyton as his QB), and Harrison weighed 181lbs at the combine, and he had a HOF Career playing at 185, so...

Like I said, I have NO PROBLEMS if Grier/Flores decide to go with D. Smith, but let's not quibble about the adjectives. He is lighter than I would hope for in a WR. But if he plays like Marvin Harrison, he can weigh whatever wants.

Pitts, Waddle, Smith or Chase. I will leave that up to Grier. Just no Sewell.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:19 am

finfanatic wrote:

Like I said, I have NO PROBLEMS if Grier/Flores decide to go with D. Smith, but let's not quibble about the adjectives. He is lighter than I would hope for in a WR. But if he plays like Marvin Harrison, he can weigh whatever wants.

Agreed. I just wanted to clarify that there is a difference between "small" and "skinny". Jakeem Grant is "small"...Smith would look like a giant next to him! Very Happy Very Happy

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:12 pm

IMHO Pitts gives you more roster flexibility rather than position flexibility. He's TE but can line up as WR. Which will be a little harder for defenses to scheme for.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:13 pm

The thing about Smith is you don't just get him you get his family too!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:14 pm

Umix10 wrote:IMHO Pitts gives you more roster flexibility rather than position flexibility. He's TE but can line up as WR. Which will be a little harder for defenses to scheme for.

I'd take Pitts over any of the receivers in this draft.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:52 pm

Umix10 wrote:IMHO Pitts gives you more roster flexibility rather than position flexibility.  He's TE but can line up as WR.  Which will be a little harder for defenses to scheme for.

I guess it depends on the team that drafts him. I can't imagine too many teams lining him up wide. I think most teams will use him in the slot, like other pass catching TEs.

I know people like to label Pitts a "unicorn ", but in terms of size, speed, "underwear olympics" drills and college production, he's not all that different than Gesicki.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:17 am

Pitts averaged almost 18 yards per catch last year. He had more total yards in college in 25 games than Gesicki did in 45 games.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:01 am

If Smith was gone and Pitts was available, I'd be quite tempted, particularly if we're going to be running a multi-weapon offense with no real player focus.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:22 am

Degarmo wrote:If Smith was gone and Pitts was available, I'd be quite tempted, particularly if we're going to be running a multi-weapon offense with no real player focus.

If Smith is somehow gone (not gonna happen) and Pitts is available I pick him before the next ad break even starts. As in, less than 5 seconds after the Bengals' pick.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:21 am

CarsonChris wrote:Pitts averaged almost 18 yards per catch last year. He had more total yards in college in 25 games than Gesicki did in 45 games.

Geiscki was a backup his first two seasons. They each had two seasons as starters. Yes, Pitts had better numbers playing in a much more wide-open offense - but as I said, his numbers are not all that different than Gesicki. Here are the stats from their two seasons as starters:

Gesicki: 27 games, 105 catches, 1242 yards, 14 TDs
Pitts: 21 games, 97 catches, 1419 yards, 17 TDs

And, here are their measurables:

Pitts Pro Day:
Height: 6' 5 1/2", Weight: 245
Hand size: 10 1/2"
Wingspan: 83 3/8"
Arm: 33 1/2"
40 time: 4.44
Vertical jump: 33 1/2"
Broad jump 129"
Short shuttle: 4.3
3-cone: 7.12
Bench: 22

Gesicki Combine:
Height: 6' 5 1/2", Weight: 247
Hand size: 10 1/3"
Wingspan: 82 1/8"
Arm: 34"
40 time: 4.54
Vertical jump: 41 1/2"
Broad jump: 129"
Short shuttle: 4.1
3-cone: 6.76
Bench: 22

Bottom line: yes, Pitts is a great prospect. But people are acting like the world has never seen a TE like him - and the fact is, the Dolphins already have a TE that is almost exactly like him in every meaningful category.

This is not the say that I don't like Pitts, or that I don't want the Dolphins to draft him. On the contrary - I think he's a great player and would love to see the Phins draft him if Smith is gone. All I'm saying is, people need to temper their expectations on Pitts - he's not a generational prospect.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:56 pm

I like Pitts. Gesicki and Pitts are never going to be Gronk and Hernandez. Gronk and Hernandez could block. Im not saying Penei Sewell block but they could block. Gesicki and Pitts arent that! They are receiving threats from the TE position.

But I dont think the Pitts pick will be anything but looking at moving on from Gesicki. He's in the last year of his contract and we don't know the free agent market for him other than upside. IMHO he's been under utilized since he's been here.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:17 pm

Umix10 wrote:I like Pitts. Gesicki and Pitts are never going to be Gronk and Hernandez.  Gronk and Hernandez could block.  Im not saying Penei Sewell block but they could block.  Gesicki and Pitts arent that!  They are receiving threats from the TE position.  

But I dont think the Pitts pick will be anything but looking at moving on from Gesicki.  He's in the last year of his contract and we don't know the free agent market for him other than upside.  IMHO he's been under utilized since he's been here.  

Agree on all of that!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:27 pm

CarsonChris wrote:The thing about Smith is you don't just get him you get his family too!

Very Happy Smile Shocked Evil or Very Mad

I see what you did there. Comparing Smith to Ted Ginn.

That is just subtly rotten, CC!

I am torn in hoping the Phins get Pitts for the same reasons JMP lists. If Pitts could DUPLICATE what he did in college in the NFL, he would definitely be the best player in the draft!!

But can he duplicate that type of matchup nightmare scenario in the NFL? I just do not know.

I am back to thinking Grier wants Sewell or Slater first.

SIGH

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:07 pm

finfanatic wrote:
CarsonChris wrote:The thing about Smith is you don't just get him you get his family too!

Very Happy   Smile   Shocked   Evil or Very Mad  

I see what you did there. Comparing Smith to Ted Ginn.

That is just subtly rotten, CC!

I am torn in hoping the Phins get Pitts for the same reasons JMP lists. If Pitts could DUPLICATE what he did in college in the NFL, he would definitely be the best player in the draft!!

But can he duplicate that type of matchup nightmare scenario in the NFL?  I just do not know.

I am back to thinking Grier wants Sewell or Slater first.

SIGH

I can't completely rule out Sewell, FF - though I really don't think the Phins will draft him. But I think I can ease your concerns about drafting Slater. I am 100% confident in saying that this current Dolphins regime would NEVER draft an offensive tackle that is barely 6'4" and just 305 pounds - that's simply too small. If you look at the linemen the Phins have added since the Grier/Flores team started, they are all HUGE...like REALLY HUGE. Slater would have to be a center in this offense (and even then he's still a bit small!), and the Phins will not draft a center at 6.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down