The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RB, now or later?

+5
JMP
HalCHorn
white1
DolFan 316
mercury22nathan
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

RB, now or later? - Page 2 Empty Re: RB, now or later?

Post by JMP Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:03 pm

If you really want impact at 18, you stay put and take Harris or Etienne. Looking at how this draft is likely to play out, anyone else we could select at 18 is, at best, a crapshoot. These two RBs are as close to a "sure thing" as we are going to get. You know what you're getting with them - you don't have to project the way you do with, say, an edge player/pass rusher that's loaded with questions - as they all are in this draft.

Pitts/Smith at 6, Etienne/Harris at 18...don't get cute, just get the biggest IMPACT players you can.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:10 pm

OR...you trade down and still get the RB you want anyway Cool

The more I think about it the more I believe the Steelers will be the only team even thinking about going RB in the first. Last year's RB class is universally regarded as deeper and better, and the first one didn't get taken until pick 32.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:14 pm

Football Outsiders' mock draft has the Fins taking Pitts at #6 and Smith falling all the way to...16 Shocked Shocked Shocked

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl-draft/2021/final-mock-draft

If Smith somehow falls past the Pats at 15 and I'm Grier I am on the phone to the Cards asking for a trade.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:31 pm

I don't know about all that, I just like the name Chuba Hubbard. If they draft him, they can nickname him the Chuba-cabra, which will go nicely with the South Florida ethnic vibe.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:12 am

DolFan 316 wrote:OR...you trade down and still get the RB you want anyway Cool

The more I think about it the more I believe the Steelers will be the only team even thinking about going RB in the first. Last year's RB class is universally regarded as deeper and better, and the first one didn't get taken until pick 32.

I could see the Cards picking RB at 16. And the Jets and Steelers are very strong possibilities to take a RB - the Bills too. So if the Phins trade down from 18, they have to stay above 23 (Jets) if they want Etienne or Harris IMO.

You think last year's RB class was better? I sure don't. Etienne and Harris and WAY above anyone from last year IMO - not even close. And I'd rank Williams over anyone from last year except Taylor. This current class looks much deeper too IMO.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:14 am

Degarmo wrote:I don't know about all that, I just like the name Chuba Hubbard.  If they draft him, they can nickname him the Chuba-cabra, which will go nicely with the South Florida ethnic vibe.

Laughing MY brother calls him "Chubsy Ubsy".  The Little Rascals ruled...even though I guess they're banned now.   Rolling Eyes

RB, now or later? - Page 2 NX4KJBQATFDF3BGOJU5GOCICBA

JMP
Admin

Degarmo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:40 am

with the 6th overall pick, the Miami Dolphins select...

RB, now or later? - Page 2 0a1f1dd3819380fc5fdf9294c6d3c786

mercury22nathan

Degarmo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:50 am

JMP wrote:I could see the Cards picking RB at 16.  And the Jets and Steelers are very strong possibilities to take a RB - the Bills too.  So if the Phins trade down from 18, they have to stay above 23 (Jets) if they want Etienne or Harris IMO.

and trading back from 18 to 22 only nets the equivalent of a lower 3rd rounder. but more importantly, then opens the door for either NYJ or Pitt to jump anywhere above Miami (19-21) with even less compensation to scoop them.

don't think it could happen? look no further than last year with Miami intended targets...

The New Orleans Saints were exploring a potential trade back from No. 24 but, according to former Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland, stayed put once they learned that the Dolphins had interest in the Saints’ eventual pick, center Cesar Ruiz.

But the very next pick at 25 was also a tough lesson for Miami, as well — and reports came out after the San Francisco 49ers jumped the Dolphins and drafted WR Brandon Aiyuk that Miami’s interest in their target was serious enough that the 49ers felt compelled to leap the Dolphins.

...Miami’s eventual trade back out of No. 26 after a rapid run on potential targets seems to indicate that Miami, once the board came around, didn’t like their options.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/25/why-the-dolphins-best-draft-strategy-could-feature-a-trade-up/

its a tough read. but if Miami wants Harris or Etienne, grab then at 18 or watch 'em go sonewhere else.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:58 am

mercury22nathan wrote:with the 6th overall pick, the Miami Dolphins select...

RB, now or later? - Page 2 0a1f1dd3819380fc5fdf9294c6d3c786

Flores does love to draft team captains... Very Happy

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:59 am

mercury22nathan wrote:if Miami wants Harris or Etienne, grab then at 18 or watch 'em go sonewhere else.

Yep - just get it done. No need for games. Of course, now OT becomes a strong possibility at 18 with the Flowers trade - so we'll see how much they really value RB.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:54 am

My bet is on "not that much".

I am just hoping they get one in the later rounds that I like.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:35 pm

If they can't get Etienne or Harris, I'd be happy with Williams or Carter from NC.

I would definitely take a runner on Hubbard too later on if they miss out on all the aforementioned guys.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:08 am

If they have too wait until later for a RB, I want Elijah Mitchell or Jaret Patterson.

Here's the USA Today list from 11 on down...(yeah, they probably know as much about RBs as I do, so...)

NEXT BEST

11. Larry Rountree III, Missouri

12. Stevie Scott III, Indiana

13. Jaret Patterson, Buffalo - MJD on the NFL Network really likes this guy.  He is a workhorse too.

14. Javian Hawkins, Louisville

15. Rhamondre Stevenson, Oklahoma

16. Elijah Mitchell, Louisiana   - I think Hal compared him to Alfred Morris? Wasn't that right, Hal?

17. Gary Brightwell, Arizona

18. Chris Evans, Michigan - I have heard a writer for Miami mention this guy as a possible pick?

19. Trey Ragas, Louisiana

20. Rakeem Boyd, Arkansas

21. Gerrid Doaks, Cincinnati

22. Jermar Jefferson, Oregon State

23. Brenden Knox, Marshall

24. Mekhi Sargent, Iowa

I am like this guy's name, but he also seems like a legitimate late round RB pick to me.

Jake Funk Pro Day Info

Although the media wasn’t able to attend, Funk shared his stats from the day. Funk said he was told he ran between a 4.43-4.48 second 40-yard dash. He also had a 38-inch vertical jump, which is higher than the likes of Ezekiel Elliott, Derrick Henry and Christian McCaffrey. Additionally, he recorded a 10-foot, 2-inch board jump and had 22 reps of 225 pounds in the bench press.

In Funk’s four-game senior year, he led the Big Ten with 129 rushing yards per game to go along with 8.6 yards per carry. He also added three rushing touchdowns and one receiving score in his final campaign.

Here is a pic of a tweet showing off a 38" vertical!!!
RB, now or later? - Page 2 Screen11

I say Bring Da Funk to Miami!!!   With a 7th round pick of course.   Smile
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:12 am

Can't say I've seen him, but I've heard good things about Trey Ragas.

And Rhamondre Stevenson could be a late round steal. Huge back with very limited playing time in college, but he has some skills.

Jake Funk wins for best name this year for sure. Seems like the dude has some funk in his game too!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:19 am

finfanatic wrote:If they have too wait until later for a RB, I want Elijah Mitchell or Jaret Patterson.

Here's the USA Today list from 11 on down...(yeah, they probably know as much about RBs as I do, so...)

NEXT BEST

16. Elijah Mitchell, Louisiana   - I think Hal compared him to Alfred Morris? Wasn't that right, Hal?

Smile

Yeah, he reminds me of Morris in that he played for an off the radar school but played very well. He will be a Day 3 pick like Morris, who I thought would make it in the pros but I'll admit I was blown away by how well Morris played in the NFL the first 3 years. 9 years later he's still in the league, last year with the Giants.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:07 am

yes, a team could always hit on a guy drafted late in the draft. but the draft should be about upgrading the talent. i'm not convinced that any of the guys not named Harris or Etienne are clearly head-and-shoulders above what Myles Gaskin (et al) provides. yes, some of those guys may give him competition and might eventually surpass him on the depth chart. but if the draft is about being able to clearly make improvements in areas or weakness - not just filling holes for competition - then the Phins need to make a bold pick at 18.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:11 am

mercury22nathan wrote:yes, a team could always hit on a guy drafted late in the draft.  but the draft should be about upgrading the talent.  i'm not convinced that any of the guys not named Harris or Etienne are clearly head-and-shoulders above what Myles Gaskin (et al) provides.  yes, some of those guys may give him competition and might eventually surpass him on the depth chart.  but if the draft is about being able to clearly make improvements in areas or weakness - not just filling holes for competition - then the Phins need to make a bold pick at 18.

Yep, I agree. As I said, it's time to FINALLY fix the offense. Get playmakers at 6 and 18, and don't look back. Let's skim the top instead of feeding off the bottom for once.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:11 pm

And maybe Grier will do that.

I know DF316 would hate it, but Pitts or Chase at #6 and Najee Harris at #18 would instantly make Tua MUCH BETTER IMHO. Even if the Phins don't get some O-line help in the draft.

Harris may be the one WORTHY VALUE PICK at #18 too.

We shall see tonight.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:17 pm

finfanatic wrote:And maybe Grier will do that.

I know DF316 would hate it, but Pitts or Chase at #6 and Najee Harris at #18 would instantly make Tua MUCH BETTER IMHO. Even if the Phins don't get some O-line help in the draft.

We shall see tonight.

That's my thinking, 100%. But the draft rarely goes the way I expect!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:23 pm

finfanatic wrote:And maybe Grier will do that.

We shall see tonight.

Even Harris would be a better pick at 18 than any of the JAGs at Edge. And Jmp would be happy so at least there's that cheers

But yeah, I would be upset if Chase was the pick at 6 over Smith. Pitts would be fine with me but not anyone else.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:27 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:

But yeah, I would be upset if Chase was the pick at 6 over Smith. Pitts would be fine with me but not anyone else.

So much this. Cool

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum