The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Look at PFT Defending Miami

5 posters

Go down

Look at PFT Defending Miami Empty Look at PFT Defending Miami

Post by white1 Sat May 08, 2021 12:40 pm

Pushing back against the Saban narrative that is was the doctors' fault Brees didn't sign with Miami:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/07/nick-saban-needs-to-quit-blaming-dolphins-doctors-for-drew-brees/

Are we in some kind of parallel universe? The media actually defending the Phins?!
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Look at PFT Defending Miami Empty Re: Look at PFT Defending Miami

Post by finfanatic Sun May 09, 2021 9:43 am

Saban can recruit like heck, and he will build a secondary with spit and duct tape.

But he don't like admitting mistakes.

A few games Saban lost by being overly conservative IMO. HE has since learned and allows the OC to call the games, but... A DC HC is going to let his Bias influence him I think.

Culpepper could run and Brees was a pocket passer was a big factor IMO.

Oh man, what mighta been?

Not to mention if Dave Dumbstedt had DRAFTED Brees when he had the chance?!?!?
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sun May 09, 2021 5:10 pm

Failure to draft Brees was really bad, what made it even worse was that even if he wasn't sold on Brees, there were plenty of logical picks that would help the offense: Reggie Wayne, Todd Heap, Alge Crumpler, Chad Johnson.

Instead he picked a 5'8" CB who wasn't even the best CB on the board. A pick that made no sense at all.

Getting a second chance at Brees and getting it wrong hurt, but Saban's inability to evaluate college players despite having coached some of the best at LSU (what if he'd taken Andrew Whitworth or Kyle Williams in 2006 for example?) and also against some of the best when there was a big factor. Saban just didn't have a gift for personnel at the pro level, which was a big separation from, say, Jimmy Johnson in making the transition.

He's a college coach who never would have made it in the NFL. I felt bad for Huizenga, who genuinely tried to listen to people who knew more than he did and to do the right things---his ego was so much more in check than Jerry Jones', for example---but it just never worked out for him.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon May 10, 2021 8:07 am

Saban is an egotistical ass - plain and simple. he had full control and all the information and made the wrong choice, but can't admit it - or the fact that he was in over his head in the NFL. i guarantee if Brees had been about 2 inches taller, Nick would have very easily seen his way to ignoring the team doctors.

mercury22nathan

Degarmo and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon May 10, 2021 10:00 am

Totally agree on Wannstedt. Even worse, I read there was a scout "pounding the table" for Brees. He ignored him.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon May 10, 2021 10:34 am

white1 wrote:Totally agree on Wannstedt.  Even worse, I read there was a scout "pounding the table" for Brees.  He ignored him.

Yep, and then fired the scout!

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon May 10, 2021 10:03 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:Saban is an egotistical ass - plain and simple.  he had full control and all the information and made the wrong choice, but can't admit it - or the fact that he was in over his head in the NFL.  i guarantee if Brees had been about 2 inches taller, Nick would have very easily seen his way to ignoring the team doctors.

This is absolutely 100 percent true. What's worse is that they decided on Culpepper instead. So, comparing the two, even beforehand, he was just wrong.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down