The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Want to know how bad the Miami OL is?

5 posters

Go down

Want to know how bad the Miami OL is? Empty Want to know how bad the Miami OL is?

Post by JMP Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:17 am

I don't remember the exact number, but I saw that PFF has the Dolphins' OL ranked last in the league with a234 pressures allowed.  The next closest team has allowed 187.

That works out to 26 pressures allowed per game.  Now, I don't typically like PFF, but in this case that number seems about right.  That is a staggering number.

The Dolphins throw the ball 40 times a game on average.  That means that Dolphin QBs are pressured 65% of the time they attempt a pass.  Let that sink in for a second.  You'd almost have to try to be that bad.

I don't even know what else to say.

**EDITED to reflect the correct numbers. Thanks, 316!

Last edited by JMP on Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Want to know how bad the Miami OL is? Empty Re: Want to know how bad the Miami OL is?

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:29 am

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Want to know how bad the Miami OL is? Empty Re: Want to know how bad the Miami OL is?

Post by JMP Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:41 am

DolFan 316 wrote:I KNEW there was a reason I bookmarked this page last night!

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article255644101.html#storylink=rss

From the article:

"Eichenberg, Jackson and Jesse Davis have each permitted 37 quarterback pressures, tied for the most in the NFL. What are the odds of the same team having three players who lead the league in that ignominious category?"

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Honestly, I think those numbers are likely even worse than 37. If the OL has allowed 234 total pressures, those three would have to have given up more than 37 each to make the math work. But either way, it is beyond comprehension that an OL could play this bad. Again, I put the majority of the blame on coaching - because you can pull 5 inexperienced guys off the street and achieve better results.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:41 pm

i just don't get the insistence of keeping Jesse Davis on the field. i think Hunt at RT and Kindley at RG is a much better combination. at this point i can only think it is stubborn spite that keeps Kindley on the bench and Davis as a starter. so much for the pledge of putting the best 5 on the field.

mercury22nathan

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:32 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:i just don't get the insistence of keeping Jesse Davis on the field.  i think Hunt at RT and Kindley at RG is a much better combination.  at this point i can only think it is stubborn spite that keeps Kindley on the bench and Davis as a starter.  so much for the pledge of putting the best 5 on the field.

Agree completely.

I get that they want to keep as much continuity as possible, and we've been playing musical chairs at center due to injuries, but this is just absurd at this point. The line as it is currently composed clearly is not working. Make a change! The right side of the line is the easiest to fix: slide Hunt back to RT and put either Kindley or even Robert Jones at RG. At LT, if Eich continues to suck, give Little a chance

That said: it's probably just shuffling chairs on the Titanic at this point because the OL coach is incompetent, but they have to do something - can't keep doing the same thing when it is consistently failing.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:39 pm

I think the term you are searching for is called: STUPIDITY!

As in Coaching Stupidity.

I will give you what I consider to be one of the most, if not the MOST, egregious examples of it I have ever seen.

I cannot remember the Dolphins Line Coaches name... Tony Wise maybe?... Houck maybe? It was the year Vernon Carey was the first round pick. He wasn't ready to play so they kept putting John St. Clair in. When asked why the Dolphins were not giving Carey invaluable developmental learning time and snaps as he was a first round pick and John St Clair was a journeyman O-lineman who did not figure into the Dolphins future plans, the absolute dingbat Oline Coach said "That wouldn't be fair to John."

In a lost season where the Dolphins had absolutely nothing to play for except to make decisions for their betterment NEXT SEASON, this dinglefruit of a Coach was worried about being FAIR!

Fair. What the heck does FAIR have to do with what is in the best long term interests of the Dolphins? St Clair was getting paid whether he played or not and sitting Carey because of the Oline coach's sense of fairness was absolutely asinine. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees!

I suspected as much when the whole "best five O-linemen" thing came up in training camp. We had been thinking the Phins just needed a center and a Guard and they would be set, but suddenly, they had no LT, no RT, and the free agent Center got kicked to the curb. Things were in flux and they never solidified, and the players that looked half-assed as rookies are now playing like warmed over roadkill???

This has maggot-ridden vile, putrefying, pus-dripping Coaching incompetence written all over it IMO.

One guy may have a sophomore slump, but all of them? No, this is a systemic failure that can be laid right at the feet of Flores IMO.

I think this season has been a confluence of several things, poor coaching, even poorer coaching staff decisions by Flores, and a truly massive misunderstanding of the whole offensive system concept by the inexperienced OCs, commingled with a generous helping of over-estimating the young players and under-estimating the need for seasoned Vets, and the ever-present poor drafting.

All of this has converged into a tsunami of BAD for the Phins this season. It has certainly washed away any small glimmer of hope I had that the Phins had FINALLY gotten themselves on a sound footing and would be able to become a perennial playoff contender.

finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP, DolFan 316 and white1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:00 pm

finfanatic wrote:
This has maggot-ridden vile, putrefying, pus-dripping Coaching incompetence written all over it IMO.

One guy may have a sophomore slump, but all of them? No, this is a systemic failure that can be laid right at the feet of Flores IMO.

I think this season has been a confluence of several things, poor coaching, even poorer coaching staff decisions by Flores, and a truly massive misunderstanding of the whole offensive system concept by the inexperienced OCs, commingled with a generous helping of over-estimating the young players and under-estimating the need for seasoned Vets, and the ever-present poor drafting.

All of this has converged into a tsunami of BAD for the Phins this season. It has certainly washed away any small glimmer of hope I had that the Phins had FINALLY gotten themselves on a sound footing and would be able to become a perennial playoff contender.

Outstanding post, FF! The part I bolded is the perfect way to describe this horrific season.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:32 pm

I think we are all in agreement.

My question is this. What else does Ross need to see to show him the light and reach the same conclusion? Unfortunately, this front office and their strategy to rebuild the team has failed.

It's time to hire a new front office and give them the same mandate, build a sustainable team that will compete for a long time. Let's see how their strategy works, because it's painfully obvious that dumping talented veterans and failing to draft anyone even close to the same talent has totally failed as a strategy...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:28 pm

finfanatic wrote:I think the term you are searching for is called: STUPIDITY!

As in Coaching Stupidity.

I will give you what I consider to be one of the most, if not the MOST, egregious examples of it I have ever seen.

I cannot remember the Dolphins Line Coaches name... Tony Wise maybe?... Houck maybe?   It was the year Vernon Carey was the first round pick. He wasn't ready to play so they kept putting John St. Clair in. When asked why the Dolphins were not giving Carey invaluable developmental learning time and snaps as he was a first round pick and John St Clair was a journeyman O-lineman who did not figure into the Dolphins future plans, the absolute dingbat Oline Coach said "That wouldn't be fair to John."  

In a lost season where the Dolphins had absolutely nothing to play for except to make decisions for their betterment NEXT SEASON, this dinglefruit of a Coach was worried about being FAIR!

Fair. What the heck does FAIR have to do with what is in the best long term interests of the Dolphins?  St Clair was getting paid whether he played or not and sitting Carey because of the Oline coach's sense of fairness was absolutely asinine. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees!

I actually remember FF being angry about this at the time, which was 17 years ago now Shocked Shocked Shocked

The REALLY sad part is, St. Clair was only one the team for one season! Evil or Very Mad Yup, all that "fairness" crap was used to justify keeping the first round rookie out of the starting lineup in favor of someone the Fins thought so highly of they parted ways with him immediately afterwards! And it's not as if Carey was anywhere near as mind-blowingly horrible as Jackson or Iggy or your average Grier first round pick. He could've been better but at least he was a solid, average NFL O-linemen, which is worlds above anybody they have now! Why am I shouting?!

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:33 pm

white1 wrote:I think we are all in agreement.

My question is this.  What else does Ross need to see to show him the light and reach the same conclusion? Unfortunately, this front office and their strategy to rebuild the team has failed.

As far as I can tell, the "strategy" consisted of trading away as many half-decent draft picks from the previous 1-2 years as possible to pick inferior replacements and also dump any half-decent vets in favor of the awful draft picks.

As I've said before, any 13-year old paying Madden can collect a bunch of extra draft picks. That's the easy part. You'd think a professional GM would be able to actually hit on at least half those picks but Grier might be the best (worst?) example of the Peter Principle I've ever seen.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:34 pm

white1 wrote:
It's time to hire a new front office and give them the same mandate, build a sustainable team that will compete for a long time.  Let's see how their strategy works, because it's painfully obvious that dumping talented veterans and failing to draft anyone even close to the same talent has totally failed as a strategy...

The strategy itself was damn near perfect IMO...it's the execution that failed. Underwhelming draft picks + terrible coaching staff = FAIL. But the idea of completely tearing down the roster, fixing the bloated salary cap, and stockpiling draft picks was an excellent plan...it's just that Grier and Flores failed with coaching hires and free agent/draft player evaluation.

As for Ross, I fear that the only way he'll get it right is by selling the team.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down