The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In Depth Look at Fins Draft - FMIA

5 posters

Go down

In Depth Look at Fins Draft - FMIA Empty In Depth Look at Fins Draft - FMIA

Post by white1 Mon May 10, 2021 10:01 am

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

In Depth Look at Fins Draft - FMIA Empty Re: In Depth Look at Fins Draft - FMIA

Post by finfanatic Mon May 10, 2021 10:27 am

Yep...if you look at it as a trade down from #3 to #6, it looks like Miami got a sweet deal.

I still say it would be interesting to know who would have been picked if Pitts, Chase, and Waddle were available at #6?

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon May 10, 2021 10:31 am

I would guess Pitts.  

Atlanta pulled the trigger at 4, I bet a lot of teams had him ranked really high based on the mismatch problems he will create for defenses....

Plus, we drafted a TE in the third round, which to me indicates Miami is going to move on from the Smythe/Gesicki combo in favor of more well rounded TEs. IMO Pitts is a better receiver and route runner than Gesicki, and also blocks better. He may not be a great blocker yet, but his frame and size suggests with coaching he will improve.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon May 10, 2021 6:33 pm

finfanatic wrote:Yep...if you look at it as a trade down from #3 to #6, it looks like Miami got a sweet deal.

I still say it would be interesting to know who would have been picked if Pitts, Chase, and Waddle were available at #6?

I think it's pretty clear from the article that the Dolphins had Waddle #1, and likely Smith #2. Here is the relevant part:

The Dolphins saw the top of the draft this way: Picks 1, 2, 3, quarterbacks. Pick 4 (Atlanta), a quarterback or tight end Kyle Pitts. Pick 5 (Cincinnati), likely Chase, or possibly tackle Penei Sewell.

“One player we knew, we felt very strongly, would be there at six,” said Flores. The intimation, to me, was that player was Waddle. I got the feeling Grier and Flores were all-in on Waddle, though they never said that specifically.

Grier probably wouldn’t move back to 12 unless he could move back up to get Waddle, or one of the offensive impact players. So when the initial 49er offer came in, Flores was clear what he wanted. “Right away,” said Grier, meaning right after the 49er offer, “Brian was like, ‘If we do this, go down to 12, we need to figure out a way to get back into the top 10.’ “

“We knew that [Alabama receiver] DeVonta Smith, if he was the other guy, who is a very good player, was not going to be there at 12,” Grier said. “We knew the players that we wanted would not be there at 12. We had very good intel, we’d done our work. We were 100 percent sure we were not going to get a targeted player, especially Jaylen, staying at 12. We felt we had to get to, eight was about where we said, but we wanted to get up higher. We weren’t real comfortable at eight . . . We felt six was the spot for us to get Waddle.”

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon May 10, 2021 6:35 pm

Excellent article - great look at how GMs and coaches work. Pretty fascinating look behind the scenes. Reading this, it is pretty clear that Grier is a top-shelf GM. His ability to adapt and his working relationship with Flores are key.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon May 10, 2021 9:59 pm

All I can do is sit here and think up dirty words to fill in FMIA.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue May 11, 2021 2:18 pm

Degarmo wrote:All I can do is sit here and think up dirty words to fill in FMIA.

Very Happy Very Happy

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu May 20, 2021 9:37 am

I still say Waddle over Smith reminds me of the Raiders taking Henry Ruggs over Jerry Jeudy last year. But we'll see.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu May 20, 2021 9:50 am

DolFan 316 wrote:I still say Waddle over Smith reminds me of the Raiders taking Henry Ruggs over Jerry Jeudy last year. But we'll see.

The difference is, Ruggs is a one-trick pony like Ted Ginn: he can run "go" routes all day, but don't expect him to do much more than that - at least not at this stage. Waddle is actually an excellent route runner and is much more versatile. For what the Dolphins want to do, Waddle is really an excellent fit - even though Smith would have been my choice.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu May 20, 2021 10:32 am

It would have been Chase if the Ben-Gals had taken Sewell or Slater like they should have.

Twisted Evil

Or Pitts if the Falcs and the Ben-Gals had both slipped a cog.

Just to keep JMP riled up.

In Depth Look at Fins Draft - FMIA 1f608

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu May 20, 2021 11:03 am

finfanatic wrote:It would have been Chase if the Ben-Gals had taken Sewell or Slater like they should have.

Twisted Evil

Or Pitts if the Falcs and the Ben-Gals had both slipped a cog.

Just to keep JMP riled up.

In Depth Look at Fins Draft - FMIA 1f608

Cool

The trade down to 12 and then back up to 6 should explain it all: Pitts and Chase were expected to go top 5, so clearly the Phins weren't targeting either player.

It's pretty clear that Chase was not high on the Phins' list. I think Pitts would have gotten strong consideration, but hearing Grier and Flores talk I think Waddle was their guy all along, with Smith #2.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down