The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Iggy

+4
mercury22nathan
JMP
DolFan 316
CarsonChris
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Iggy  Empty Iggy

Post by CarsonChris Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:43 pm

Well we might as well cut him from the team now. He's learning his position by playing Madden. Why do we let these guys talk to the media?

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Iggy  Empty Re: Iggy

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:38 pm

If this team actually caves to Howard's demands it'll be because even they know Iggy is a major bust. Also, I'll be really angry Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:50 pm

I'm not worried about Iggy right now. Way too early to make judgments on any players. Today was the first day with pads, and they mostly focused on the run game. Iggy will get his chances. Don't forget - he's one of the youngest players in the NFL and this is his first real camp.

Good news is, Nik Needham has reportedly looked great. Let's see if he can keep it up as the practices intensify. His biggest issue has always been consistency.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:26 am

i think Iggy is an inexperienced CB who was selected on physical potential. its now time to start to put that potential into practical application.

mercury22nathan

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:24 am

mercury22nathan wrote:its now time to start to put that potential into practical application.

Merc out here making a strong bid to become the forum's Archduke Of Alliteration Razz Although he could've worked in "physical" into that sentence somewhere for an even better result Cool

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:17 am

mercury22nathan wrote:i think Iggy is an inexperienced CB who was selected on physical potential.  its now time to start to put that potential into practical application.  

Nailed it.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:14 pm

I think I just read Iggy has been shuffled from the starting lineup.

CarsonChris

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:30 pm

CarsonChris wrote:I think I just read Iggy has been shuffled from the starting lineup.

I can't think of one single Fins pick of the past 25 years I've had a bad feeling about from the start who turned out to prove me wrong. And now I'm adding Iggy to the list. Him being a bust is especially hurtful considering the Howard Situation and the league being way more pass-happy now. I'll reiterate that IMO Iggy was solely a Flores pick and shows why he should let Grier do the GMing, as much as I hate to say that.

But Iggy being a bust still does not mean Howard's demands should be bowed and kowtowed to. That would only compound the mistake by making another.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:13 pm

Sounds like Iggy was matched up on Ford most of the day today and got beat a few times , but also made a play or two. Baby steps.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:16 pm

Luis D. Sung
@LuisDSung
Have to keep certain things in mind w/ Noah Igbinoghene. He played 12 games total at corner in his Auburn career.

Xavien Howard played DB all 3 years at Baylor. Was not a great rookie.

Jeffrey Okudah played DB all 3 years at Ohio State. Not a great rookie.

Huge learning curve.
2:56 PM · Aug 4, 2021

Like merc said, the Iggy selection was a pick based on physical make-up and potential. That's pretty much par for the course with a late first round pick - and especially when you already had two other first round selections before that pick.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:41 pm

JMP wrote:Like merc said, the Iggy selection was a pick based on physical make-up and potential. That's pretty much par for the course with a late first round pick - and especially when you already had two other first round selections before that pick.

No more excuses. Nobody drafts a player in the first round that they don't expect to do much of anything for 2 years. That's what mid-late round picks are for.

It could be worse, they could've taken Jeff Gladney instead, but the next CB after Gladney went 20 picks later which tells you how big a reach Iggy was. I'm not even sure he'd have been taken where Jaylon Johnson or Trevon Diggs was either (picks 50 and 51) TBH.

DolFan 316

Degarmo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:14 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:Like merc said, the Iggy selection was a pick based on physical make-up and potential. That's pretty much par for the course with a late first round pick - and especially when you already had two other first round selections before that pick.

No more excuses. Nobody drafts a player in the first round that they don't expect to do much of anything for 2 years. That's what mid-late round picks are for.

It could be worse, they could've taken Jeff Gladney instead, but the next CB after Gladney went 20 picks later which tells you how big a reach Iggy was. I'm not even sure he'd have been taken where Jaylon Johnson or Trevon Diggs was either (picks 50 and 51) TBH.

End of first round is exactly where you draft high-potential players that have the physical attributes you want. All the blue-chip prospects are gone after the top 10, most years after the top 5. Hell, the best team in the AFC drafted a tiny RB at #32 - who sucked as a rookie - because he had a skillset they liked.

Again - Iggy was the 4th corner taken, and he was considered by many to be the top cover corner in the draft. He fits EXACTLY what the Phins look for in a corner. It was not a reach, it was not a luxury pick - it was taking a flyer on a very young guy that fits the scheme and checks all the boxes for this particular team.

Not every pick works out - if they did, the term "bust" wouldn't exist. But many players - especially corners - take time to develop. I know everything today is "I WANT IT NOW!!!", but football doesn't always work that way.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:41 pm

JMP wrote:Again - Iggy was the 4th corner taken, and he was considered by many to be the top cover corner in the draft.

First of all, I NEVER saw or heard ANYBODY say that about him before the draft, or even when he was picked. Not in months and months of predraft hype. And even if I'm wrong and it's true, the "top cover corner" of any given draft is not going to be the 4th one taken. Period.

He fits EXACTLY what the Phins look for in a corner. It was not a reach, it was not a luxury pick - it was taking a flyer on a very young guy that fits the scheme and checks all the boxes for this particular team.

The first round is not the time to be taking "flyers" on guys. That's what you do in the 5th round and later. And the reason we're even having this conversation is because Iggy doesn't seem to be fitting what the team wants, at all, at the moment.  

Not every pick works out - if they did, the term "bust" wouldn't exist.  But many players - especially corners - take time to develop.  I know everything today is "I WANT IT NOW!!!", but football doesn't always work that way.

And for the vast majority of rookies, if they don't show *something* right away, it means they weren't worth drafting. Because if a player's good enough he'll show it ASAP, regardless of where he was drafted or his measurables. Zach did. JT did. Neither of those guys were first rounders. Again, teams (the reasonably smart ones anyway) don't draft guys in the first round to be long term projects. Every rookie gets four years, and often not even that these days. There's simply no time to waste watching a rookie struggle for 2-3 seasons hoping he'll "get it". This team's supposed to make the playoffs right now, and that likely won't happen if they can't defend the pass in today's league. Which will be damn hard to do if Iggy's a bust and Howard pouts the whole time. Iggy HAS to at least be halfway decent, because he's supposed to be replacing Howard this season, whether anyone will admit that or not.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:07 pm

"Cover corner", meaning man-on-man/press coverage. Most corners in college play off-man or zone. For example, the top corner taken that year was Okudah, who played mostly zone at Ohio State (and was damn good at it, too.) Read the draft profiles.

Late first round is absolutely when you take flyers on players that have high-end physical traits. Why? Because those guys go off the board quickly once day 2 rolls around.

In fact, the whole draft after pick 5 or 10 is "taking flyers". Every player after the blue-chips are gone is a project. If they weren't, they'd have been drafted higher.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:14 pm

Could've had Tee Higgins instead. Taken just 3 picks later. Would've made a nice Williams/Parker replacement. Just sayin'.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:06 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:Could've had Tee Higgins instead. Taken just 3 picks later. Would've made a nice Williams/Parker replacement. Just sayin'.

Of course. You can always play the "we could have drafted this guys instead" game. And Higgins looks like he's going to be a good one.

Look, it is what it is: Iggy needs to improve by leaps and bounds - we all know that. My point is, we need to have patience...this is a young, raw player that needs experience. We can argue all day over whether or not he should have been drafted by the Phins at the end of round 1, but the fact is: he was! I'm choosing to give him time to develop.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:16 pm

Have patience. He'll eventually be cut.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:27 pm

Degarmo wrote:Have patience.  He'll eventually be cut.

Improve or die...that's the NFL.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:46 pm

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:32 pm

I watched the off season workout videos. Iggy has hands of stone. My panic button was hit a few years ago and it's more with the guy making the picks the the player that was picked.

In this instance Jonathan Taylor was available and would have been an upgrade at a position of need.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:28 am

I guess this could be worse than it is.  We could have traded that pick for Josh Rosen.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:14 am

Reading from practice reports, Iggy got burned twice by Ford for deep touchdowns. The troubling thing is Ford runs a 4.7 40.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:59 am

Tre'Davious White was a 27th overall pick. Just sayin'.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:45 am

I still believe Iggy will pan out. Under Flores, we've seen several examples of players that looked like lost causes in the past, but lo and behold they actually improved over time and started to perform. I think this will happen with Iggy too.

Drafting is only the first part of getting a pick right. Talent development is huge, and probably even more important than who is actually chosen. Not just developing the players you have, but fitting them into the scheme, doing what they are strong at, while avoiding their weaknesses.
white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:23 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:I swear I didn't write this. Seriously. But whoever did read my mind.

https://www.thephinsider.com/2021/8/4/22609995/is-it-time-to-hit-the-panic-button-on-miami-dolphins-cornerback-noah-igbinoghene

No need to panic - at all. Either Iggy works out, or he doesn't. We have plenty of DBs, so if he fails we chalk it up as a loss and move on. Not every pick is a home run, and no one is viewing Iggy as a savior of the team.

BUT...

I agree 100% with White: I still think Iggy will develop into a good player for the Phins. We have a coaching staff that knows how to coach up talent and develop players. Look at Nik Needham - he was a hot mess when he first took the field for the Phins, and now he has developed into a solid player that is continuing to improve. And no knock on Nik (more alliteration...), but he does not have near the talent that Iggy has. This is a young, raw player with a great skillset - let's give him a chance to develop and not go overboard with "panic".

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next