The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breaking news Xavien wins

+3
JMP
DolFan 316
CarsonChris
7 posters

Go down

Breaking news Xavien wins Empty Breaking news Xavien wins

Post by CarsonChris Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:36 am

Xavien Howard and the Miami Dolphins have agreed to a re-structured contract.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Breaking news Xavien wins Empty Re: Breaking news Xavien wins

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:42 am

Wow. Just...wow. Iggy was such a bust that Grier and Flores actually caved. It's the worst case nightmare scenario come true.

This sets an absolutely HORRIBLE precedent that you better believe all NFL players will be taking full advantage of and is likely the final nail in the coffin. I can't see the NFL lasting much longer. Five years, maybe?

I *really* need a break from bad news in general.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:49 am

From what I read, it sounds like 2021 and 2022 are now guaranteed,  and X gets an incentive deal worth up to $3.5 million.  So in actuality,  the team didn't give up much. All they really did was ensure that X is a Phin for this season and next. The additional money is not much at all. So all of this posturing by X really amounted to nothing.

Bottom line: the Dolphins won this battle.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:31 am

Every player is licking their chops now. Hire a new agent, try and get a better deal.

CarsonChris

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:56 pm

I’m relieved. Our defense doesn’t work without at least one elite corner reference Flores season 1.

X was in a unique situation for several reasons. A player less critical to the team would meet a harder stance from the front office. Flores nailed it saying every situation is different.

I don’t believe this gives anyone a playbook to get a new deal. Unless Needham gets ten picks this season . And I’d that happens I’m celebrating!
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:03 pm

white1 wrote:I’m relieved. Our defense doesn’t work without at least one elite corner reference Flores season 1.

X was in a unique situation for several reasons. A player less critical to the team would meet a harder stance from the front office. Flores nailed it saying every situation is different.

I don’t believe this gives anyone a playbook to get a new deal. Unless Needham gets ten picks this season . And I’d that happens I’m celebrating!

Agreed.  This was a pretty unique situation.  The important thing is that the team didn't cave and give him a ridiculous extension of anything like that.  Howard can earn a couple of extra million and gets next year guaranteed, but there is no impact on the salary cap.  Incentives are easy to add to a contract and don't hurt the team in any way.  So now Howard is happy and the team gets what they wanted - their star corner on the field.  Again, big win for the team. Masterful job by Grier and his staff IMO.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:54 pm

SICKENING!!! DISGUSTING!!! DOWNRIGHT NAUSEATING!!!

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:57 am

ok, so i was vocal in my displeasure about Howard demanding a trade or a new contract - and i still feel that way. but let's be clear. Howard has proven himself to be a superior talent when healthy. so i am very happy he's on the team for this season (especially since his supposed replacement Iggy ain't doing so well). from a pure talent perspective, this makes the Dolphins better. but i am not happy about the deal overall. the incentives i have no problem with - and if performing at a high level to obtain those incentives makes Howard a higher paid CB than Jones (what this was all about) then fine, let Howard be happy about that.

but there are some things in this deal that i think the Dolphins absolutely got wrong...and potentially robbed.

first, did the Dolphins even need to do a deal?

Canter [Howard's agent] said he wants “to thank coach Flores, [general manager] Chris Grier and [Dolphins executive] Brandon Shore for doing something unexpected and difficult to say the least. Many times over the past eight months we all did not expect anything to happen. The organization handled us with absolute class and professionalism.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article253349023.html

sounds like Howard's camp didn't expect a new deal. did Miami forget they had all the leverage? class and professionalism - too bad the same can't be said for Howard...going public with his trade demands and faking an injury to miss practice.

second, despite not even needing to do a deal, if you are indeed going to do the deal, make sure the deal solves the problem.

Canter also received what he interpreted as assurances that the deal will be renegotiated in late February or early March, in line with the marketplace and based on health and performance. But it’s unclear if the Dolphins perceive that assurance the same way that Howard does.

Howard declined to discuss if he wants the contract re-done after this season. “Just worried about this year,” he said.

so it sounds like Miami did what they felt they had to do to get Howard to play this year, but we'll all be right back at this same place next year when the agent wants to re-do the contract again. and this despite the fact Howard has now already been guaranteed this year and half of next year's salary.

More than half of Howard’s 2022 salary is now fully guaranteed. That’s $6.775 million. The remainder would become guaranteed the first day of the league year next March.

with the remainder guaranteed in March - the time at which you can bet Howard will begin to hold out again, after that guaranteed payment.

but third, and what i believe to be the most egregious...

And Howard’s $12.975 million salary for 2022 becomes fully guaranteed if he sustains a major injury this season.

so once again, given Howard's injury history, the Dolphins have inherited all the risk. and we've seen how Howard repaid that faith they showed in him when they made him the highest paid CB despite being injured before - he complained his way all the way to a new deal.

so am i happy Howard will be (hopefully) shutting down one side of the field this year? YES! especially since there is no one else who could do it (Iggy...Iggy, where are you?). am i happy about what they Phins did to get Howard on the field this year? NO!! especially since Howard will get fully paid for next year (2022) and then holdout again or get injured this year and still get fully paid for next year. not a good deal.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:01 am

Agree... but the pressure is on Howard now. He has to get through 2021 not only healthy, but grabbing a comparable number of INTs to get back to the bargaining table. He misses a few games or sees a dramatic drop in INTs? His leverage is gone and this is done.

If he stays consistent and healthy for the second year in a row... then we have an elite corner and again, no complaints from me - we need one.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:19 am

Merc absolutely nailed it and after reading the Herald article I came to the same conclusion. This "new' deal is just kicking the can down the road and Howard will simply defer his complaining until next season.

The bottom line to me is this: 1. All Howard really wanted was to be paid more than Jones this season, period. Not a word was ever said about any of the other four CBs currently paid more than him, it was all about jealousy of Jones. 2. Grier and Flores felt the need to cave because the secret's out--Iggy's not only a bust, but such a bust that he's not even deserving to be on this or any NFL roster! If Iggy had showed something, ANYTHING, even a hint of a glimpse of a flash of an iota of decency, there's no Howard restructure and he winds up getting traded this year. We're talking an all-time bad Fins pick on par with Dion Jordan here.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:22 am

Also, there's no way Howard can possibly perform up to the level he did last season (a non playoff season lest we forget). For one thing, he was the first player in 13 years to record double digit INTs in a season. That's just not repeatable or sustainable. My prediction is, he'll get hurt yet again around halfway through. Which won't stop him from demanding more money again next year of course.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:43 am

white1 wrote:...but the pressure is on Howard now.

i hate to say it, but i disagree. the pressure and risk is all on Miami now. Howard is all but guaranteed his money for this and next year, despite how he plays. even if he has a down year, with half of next year already guaranteed, Miami can't cut or trade him before March when the remainder gets paid out without a significant dead cap hit. and if he gets hurt this year, it all gets guaranteed right away. so Miami is tied to him, but he doesn't feel that way considering his agent already expects yet another re-negotiation next year despite the guarantees. Miami has to hope he performs at least close to last year's level cause they're only gonna have him this year before he demands more money again.

white1 wrote:He misses a few games or sees a dramatic drop in INTs? His leverage is gone and this is done.

he had no contractual leverage this year, but that didn't stop him for pitching a fit. the only true leverage he had/has is that Miami has no other capable CB to replace. and even if Miami does go find a replacement (it would have to be the draft, as between Howard and Jones, Miami couldn't afford yet another FA corner), that rookie would need to be amazing from day one and even then Miami still can't get out of the Howard deal because of the new guarantees.

white1 wrote:If he stays consistent and healthy for the second year in a row... then we have an elite corner and again, no complaints from me - we need one.

agreed that i'll live in the moment and be happy if he performs well this year. but all the guarantees really should have bought his commitment for more than one year, which apparently it did not.

mercury22nathan

Degarmo and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:02 pm

I have no problem with a player who performs asking for more moolah.

But when it turns into a holdout and you start talking Shiite about the team, then it becomes a distraction, and makes the player look like a selfish arsehole IMO.

Glad it worked out.

I agree with those that say if Iggy had shown even a bit of 1st round CB talent the Phins would have never refigured X's contract.

Still, it was a win for X, but not the cap bursting money his agent wanted, so... win/win... or a draw I guess?

As far as all this "setting a precedent" talk.... Heck, I hope a bunch of players for the Phins lead the league in some stats, make the pro bowl, and want more money. We should all hope the Phins are that lucky.

This is a GOOD THING IMHO.

The Phins reward their players for great performances. That is motivation. You can bet your house Gesicki is thinking "I have a great year, make the Pro Bowl, lead the Phins in TDs, and the Phins will pay me!!"

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:12 pm

All contracts should be heavily laden with performance clauses.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:13 am

finfanatic wrote:I have no problem with a player who performs asking for more moolah.

But when it turns into a holdout and you start talking Shiite about the team, then it becomes a distraction, and makes the player look like a selfish arsehole IMO.

Glad it worked out.

I agree with those that say if Iggy had shown even a bit of 1st round CB talent the Phins would have never refigured X's contract.

Still, it was a win for X, but not the cap bursting money his agent wanted, so... win/win... or a draw I guess?

As far as all this "setting a precedent" talk....   Heck, I hope a bunch of players for the Phins lead the league in some stats, make the pro bowl, and want more money. We should all hope the Phins are that lucky.

This is a GOOD THING IMHO.

The Phins reward their players for great performances. That is motivation. You can bet your house Gesicki is thinking "I have a great year, make the Pro Bowl, lead the Phins in TDs, and the Phins will pay me!!"

Completely agree, FF. I think both sides got a good deal, and I am happy with the outcome. We now have our elite corner guaranteed for this year and next.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down