The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts on game 4 - Jets at Phins

4 posters

Go down

Thoughts on game 4 - Jets at Phins Empty Thoughts on game 4 - Jets at Phins

Post by JMP Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:58 am

Beer: Lagunitas IPA

Player of the Day: none

Goats of the Day: once again, the entire coaching staff

This is getting old. The Dolphins traveled all the way to London to stink up the joint in embarrassing fashion, and despite the fact that the final score wasn’t as ugly the Phins somehow managed to play even worse than they did in the previous week’s trouncing at the hands of the Bills. The only reasons this score was even somewhat “close” were Jets’ QB Ryan Fitzpatrick’s horrific performance and the 165 yards in penalties that the Jets racked up. Otherwise, this game was a complete blowout.

If you want stats, here’s a few that stand out:

--The Dolphins’ offense was 0 for 12 on 3rd down, and 0 for 4 on 4th down.
--The Dolphins offense had gained under 100 yards early in the 4tyh quarter, and finished with just 226 on the day.
--Dolphin running backs combined for 8 carries the entire game.
--Ryan Tannehill completed just 43% of his passes, at a paltry 4.5 yards per attempt.
--The defense, again, recorded zero sacks.
--The defense allowed 207 rushing yards.

OK, enough stats. I’d like to instead focus on the coaching, or lack thereof.

Offense:
Last week I talked about how it is common knowledge that Bills’ head coach Rex Ryan loves to blitz, yet the Dolphins were completely unprepared for the Bills’ blitzes. This week, it is common knowledge that Jets’ head coach Todd Bowles loves to blitz even more than Rex Ryan. The Jets seemingly blitzed on almost every down yesterday, and that included an almost unbelievable 22 cornerback blitzes. And once again, the Dolphins were completely unprepared and were unable to stop them. At one point, the Jets blitzed CB Buster Skrine 4 consecutive times off the corner, in the exact same way – and Skrine got to the QB all 4 times.

Now, I don’t know if Mike Pouncey and Ryan Tannehill (the two players responsible for reading blitzes pre-snap) are just completely clueless and have no idea what a blitz looks like, or if the offensive coaching staff has completely disabled their ability to make changes at the line. Regardless, it is simply unbelievable to watch the blitz work every single time against this offense. You know the Jets are blitzing every down, and you know the OL isn’t picking them up…why the hell do you always use formations with 4 and 5 receivers, leaving the OL completely unmatched on every down? I know that the Dolphins’ RBs and TEs can’t block at all, but can you at least let them try? It’s asinine to keep letting your QB get pounded, and limit him to 2-yard passes all game.

The players on the OL were brutally bad yesterday. It was a new level of ineptitude for an OL that was already awful. All 5 linemen were simply terrible, but rookie RG Jamil Douglas deserves to be singled out for a particularly putrid performance. I don’t think he sustained one block the entire game.

It sure doesn’t help that Bill Lazor refuses to call running plays. I think somewhere along the line a running back pissed in this guy’s cornflakes, kicked his dog, or slept with his wife – maybe all three. And he now holds a grudge against anyone that plays that position. How else to explain the fact that starting RB Lamar Miller got just 7 carries on the day – including just 2 in the second half! There was one drive in the 4th quarter where the Dolphins passed on 13 of 14 plays. The one run was a read option run by WR Jarvis Landry. That drive included…wait for it…9 goal to go downs – and the Dolphins passed on all 9 downs, eventually ending the drive with an INT.

It also doesn’t help that when the Dolphins throw on 3rd down, as they do every time, the pass is ALWAYS well short of the first down marker, and the receiver NEVER gets the first down. 0-12 on third down tells the story – the Phins don’t run, and they can’t pass.

And make no mistake – Ryan Tannehell was godawful yesterday…probably his worst game ever. He was off-target all day and never got in sync. But, like last week, I have a hard time blaming Tannehill because he was hit on nearly every play. There was literally zero chance that he could have been successful yesterday. That said, it is becoming increasingly obvious that Tannehill is not a franchise QB.

So, to sum it up, Bill Lazor put together a gameplan that was doomed to fail from the start, and he did nothing within the game to adapt or adjust…just kept doing the same thing over and over – and failing each time.

Defense:
I won’t spend too much time on D, because Kevin Coyle’s incompetence has been well-documented. But I will point out one thing I noticed yesterday. The Dolphins D-linemen usually line up very far apart from each other, which creates huge gaps for the opposing offense to exploit. With other defenses, you see the linemen stunt or otherwise move around to both fill the gaps and confuse the offense. You also see LBs coming up to fill those gaps. Well, with the Dolphins the D-linemen simply plow straight ahead – no stunts, no movement – and the LBs are nowhere to be found. What this results in are running lanes the size of Texas right up the middle. And, we see games like Chris Ivory had yesterday, where he gained 166 yards on the ground.

So, like Lazor with the offense, Coyle put together a gameplan that was doomed to fail from the start, and he did nothing within the game to adapt or adjust…just kept doing the same thing over and over – and failing each time.

While all this is going on, the head coach is……..well, I don’t actually know what the head coach is doing. What I do know is that, according to his own words, Joe Philbin has no idea how to make things better. I also know that Philbin isn’t planning on changing anything, again according to his own words. He thinks that things will just magically get better if the team continues to do everything that has led to this current 3-game losing streak.

This Dolphins’ team has quickly become one of – if not the – worst teams in the entire NFL. That falls on the coaches, who cannot put their players in position to be successful, and on the GM that failed to address key areas of need in the offseason. It’s one big clusterfuck, and even without a crystal ball I can tell you that this Dolphins’ team is not going to be competitive in any game this season unless wholesale changes are made. And owner Stephen Ross hates change, so I expect him to do nothing of any substance to fix the problems this season. It is what it is...we all just have to hope and pray that Ross does the right thing at some point, and fires this entire staff.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on game 4 - Jets at Phins Empty Re: Thoughts on game 4 - Jets at Phins

Post by white1 Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:08 am

Great beer choice, one of my favorites.

My God we suck.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:10 am

JMP wrote:Now, I don’t know if Mike Pouncey and Ryan Tannehill (the two players responsible for reading blitzes pre-snap) are just completely clueless and have no idea what a blitz looks like, or if the offensive coaching staff has completely disabled their ability to make changes at the line.

your answer...

The last two weeks Tannehill has faced blitz-happy defenses from Buffalo’s Rex Ryan and the Jets’ Todd Bowles. They’ve had great success doing so and, in the process, Jets defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers, the Dolphins defensive line coach until this season, surely took advantage of inside knowledge that the NFL Network’s Jeff Darlington reported.

Tannehill isn’t allowed to audible.

This is how you treat quarterbacks you don’t trust. Chad Henne couldn’t audible with the Dolphins. Dan Marino had these handcuffs put on him at the end by Jimmy Johnson. This explains why the Jets had 22 cornerback blitzes on Sunday, more than any defense in five years, according to ESPN Stats. Rogers knew Tannehill couldn’t audible his way out of a bad play.

Tannehill was stuck in losing propositions. It made no sense, as I wrote in my column today, that Tannehill either couldn’t see the blitz coming. This is a scary fact in the small picture of a game. It’s scarier still in the big picture of how much offensive coordinator Bill Lazor and coach Joe Philbin really trust their quarterback in his fourth season.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/dave-hyde-blog/sfl-hyde5-are-dolphins-the-worst-team-in-the-league-20151005-story.html

simply astounding. it is impossible to win in today's NFL without allowing your QB to make pre-snap reads and then do something about it.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:21 am

The blueprint is set: call a blitz, and the Dolphins have no ability to stop it. It's that simple. Like I said, the Dolphins NEVER use extra blockers, so an extra blitzer or 3 will ALWAYS get to the QB untouched. It's like shooting fish in a barrel - can't miss.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:20 am

PFF thoughts...

– Slumping to their third straight defeat, the Miami Dolphins and star signing Ndamukong Suh (+0.4) continue to confound and frustrate with inconsistent and disappointing performances. Suh impressed on a pair of plays, splitting Nick Mangold (-3.7) and Breno Giacomini (-0.5) to take power runs away behind the line of scrimmage. Still, he shares some culpability for the Dolphins being gutted up the middle too early, too often, allowing the game to get away from Miami.

– This was not a classic game in terms of quarterback performances, with Ryan Tannehill (-3.9) joining his counterpart Ryan Fitzpatrick (-5.4) in an ugly game, the two trying to out-do each other for poor accuracy and execution. Tannehill was strong on intermediate passes outside the numbers (four-for-seven, 54 yards, two touchdowns, +1.7 PFF passing grade) but struggled over the middle at the intermediate level, and was customarily unproductive on throws 20+ yards down the field (one-for-seven, 42 yards, one interception, -2.3 PFF passing grade) as he failed to come up with the plays to turn the tide for Miami, even though the Jets never quite put the game out of reach.

– This was a “Jekyll and Hyde” performance from Jarvis Landry, who dropped a pair of passes as a receiver (-2.3), but was his usual elusive self as a return man, racking up 189 return yards on eight kick and punt returns (+3.6). As a return man, Landry forced eight missed tackles to go with his two as a receiver, but a trio of drops over the last two weeks really limits a receiver who makes his living on short passes and needs to snag every catchable pass to maximize his efficiency.

Top performers:

LB Koa Misi (+2.5)

S Reshad Jones (+1.7)

RT Ja’Wuan James (+1.7)

CB Zackary Bowman (+1.6)

LT Jason Fox (+1.4)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/10/04/nyj-mia-grades-chris-ivory-leads-jets-offense/

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:16 pm

A lot of these "genius" coordinators don't let their QBs "audible". They send them up there with four or five plays out of their current formation (which the Dolphins do) and they can choose out of that. That does not take into account any changes for exotic blitzes and the like and leaves it up to the "genius" to figure out how to read the mind of the DC on the other side. It's simply an arrogant practice that needs to be shelved for eternity.

Ryan Tannehill is one of the smartest guys in the NFL and has an incredible recall. He's very smart football-wise. He's had two coordinators that don't believe in audibles. You know Sherman was pushing this shit on Favre, right? Favre just scrambled around and made plays because he was a Hall of Famer who figured, who gives a shit, I'm not even supposed to be in this position.

Sherman = Lazor = Martz. All of these assholes think their system is foolproof, but they're the ones that are the fools.

Let Tannehill call plays at the line, because we need to know if he can do it. I'm positive he can, because when in the 2-minute drill where he can do his own thing (Not the structured 2-minute drill coming out of a TV timeout) he's pretty darned good.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down