The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why McDaniel was the right hire

+4
DolFan 316
HalCHorn
JEGnj
JMP
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Why McDaniel was the right hire - Page 2 Empty Re: Why McDaniel was the right hire

Post by JMP Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:25 pm

white1 wrote:Wait I'm confused.... is Flores telling Tua "if he knew he would be this bad he would have drafted Mac Jones" - is that NOT the way to build a relationship and communicate with a player?

By the way, I wonder if Flores would have said that after watching Jones and how he finished the season? Also, I love how he was so laser-focused on Tua being the problem, with the league's worse offensive line, running backs they *literally* signed off the street (who were actually playing pretty well, but mysteriously weren't asked to run all that much), a single threat at wide receiver and two offensive coordinators who can't agree on who is calling the plays.  Brilliant!

Coaches should build players up - like McDaniel talked about today. Flores did nothing but tear Tua down.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Why McDaniel was the right hire - Page 2 Empty Re: Why McDaniel was the right hire

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:19 pm

I know it lowers my vibration but dammit, I just can't get enough of Flores being called out for his jerkassery. I think I'm getting addicted!

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:17 pm

Well, Everybody thought Cam Cameron was gonna be a good HC too!

:ducking and dodging the debris thrown his way:

I agree it looks like McDaniel will work out, but until the rubber meets the road, or until you are facing the Bills and Belicheck twice a season...who knows?

There is ALWAYS a chance a new Hc will implode.

I doubt it will happen to McDaniel but... You never know.

Flores: Yeah, the more you find out about him the worse he looks. Just imagine if he was not an arrogant team-killing arsehole, just imagine if he KNEW anything about putting an offensive staff together, just imagine what the Phins MIGHT have accomplished???

It is amazing to me how many times you see someone brought low by their own lack of understanding about themselves.

Well, at least I now know what all the "grumbling" I was told about meant. Team-Killer Flores at his finest.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:54 pm

finfanatic wrote:Well, Everybody thought Cam Cameron was gonna be a good HC too!

Really? I seem to recall everyone hating the Cameron hire. I remember watching his intro press conference and wondering how he even got considered, let alone got the job. He was a trainwreck from the word go.

One of the main reasons for optimism with McDaniel is that he comes from the best coaching tree in the NFL right now. Everyone in that group has had tremendous success. This isn't some random guy that was selected by throwing darts...this is a guy from a tried and true system that is dominating the league.

And yes, the more we hear about Flores the worse he gets - it truly is a miracle that the Phins had two winning seasons under him. I had no idea things were as bad as they were...so happy he's gone now.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:50 pm

This is outstanding:

Barry Jackson
@flasportsbuzz
Xavien Howard said "everything is different" in the building now. "Everybody is happy. Mike McDaniel is bringing that energy" and he (and others) are hopeful that McDaniel "will bring the offense up to the standard" everyone wants.
12:28 PM · Apr 6, 2022

More:
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/06/xavien-howard-says-mike-mcdaniel-brings-a-different-energy-to-miami/

“Everything’s been different. The energy, everybody’s happy. I think a lot of things are going to be special here with Mike McDaniel. He’s bringing that energy,” Howard said. “I was excited to meet him, he was excited to meet me.”

Howard said he believes he and his teammates are going to get on board with McDaniel’s program.

“If everybody buys in, we’ll get the job done,” Howard said.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:34 pm

Well that's it then. I don't even care if McDaniel runs an all-shrimp offense, if he can get XAVIEN FUCKING HOWARD to be a team player, he MUST be the right guy! cheers cheers cheers

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:38 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Well that's it then. I don't even care if McDaniel runs an all-shrimp offense, if he can get XAVIEN FUCKING HOWARD to be a team player, he MUST be the right guy! cheers cheers cheers

Heck, you pay me an extra $50 mill I would buy in too!

Laughing

No, the Phins have sent the right messages out by taking care of their own players. That is one way the team ensures "buy-in" but McDaniel has to go out and prove he knows what he is doing.  There can be no Grandpa Queasy Joe Philbin "Bullygate" BS, no Adam Gase-blaming everyone but himself, no Philbin telling everyone Dallas Thomas is playing great when he looks like crapola, and most especially no completely losing the locker room because everyone knows you are a dipshyte like Dave Dumbstedt.

I doubt we will see that with McDaniel, but... Until the Phins hit the field with him as HC, you just never know?

I just remember all those times I thought the Phins were FINALLY on the right path... Shula in 1995... Jimmy... Saban... That first year with Parcells and Sparano and Pennington... Even Gase one year... and then Flores... and then... It all turned to sour shiite in an instant.

Color me somewhat cynical.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:57 am

finfanatic wrote:Color me somewhat cynical.

Are you staking a claim to the title Count Of Cynicism? Razz

I'm still the Potentate Of Pessimism though, you don't get to claim my throne just yet Cool

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:39 pm

finfanatic wrote:

I just remember all those times I thought the Phins were FINALLY on the right path... Shula in 1995... Jimmy... Saban... That first year with Parcells and Sparano and Pennington... Even Gase one year... and then Flores... and then... It all turned to sour shiite in an instant.

Color me somewhat cynical.

It's OK to be cynical, but this is an entirely new approach for the Dolphins. They have NEVER done anything like this before. Obviously we won't know anything for sure until the games begin, but at this point in the offseason I personally feel differently about this team than I ever have. This wasn't the spending-for-the-sake-of-spending free agency spree we saw in 95, it's not hiring an already-successful NFL HC like JJ or a top-level college HC like Saban, it's nothing like Sparano or Gase or Flores...we've never seen anything like this in Miami. It's a new era, and I'm completely on board! cheers

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:24 am

JMP wrote:It's OK to be cynical, but this is an entirely new approach for the Dolphins.  They have NEVER done anything like this before. 

The Dolphins hired a first time HC who had previous ties to a successful organization. And then after a few unsuccessful seasons fired the coach and replaced him with another first time HC considered a creative offensive mind coming from a west coast style offense. Looking to bolster a stagnant offense and their young QB, the Dolphins signed a dynamic speed demon and doled out the largest WR contract ever. Sound familiar. None of it worked. No, it was not Flores out, McDaniel in, and Tua with Tyreek being the WR. It was Sparano, Philbin and Tannehill with WR Mike Wallace.

sorry, i couldn't resist. but for the record, i am very hopeful this time it WILL BE different. i really do like McDaniel and i think we are going to see something in Miami we haven't seen in a long while - a successful offense. but yea, i do think we need to respect the opinion of those who may not yet have bought in 100% - as we've indeed been through this before.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:16 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
JMP wrote:It's OK to be cynical, but this is an entirely new approach for the Dolphins.  They have NEVER done anything like this before. 

The Dolphins hired a first time HC who had previous ties to a successful organization.  And then after a few unsuccessful seasons fired the coach and replaced him with another first time HC considered a creative offensive mind coming from a west coast style offense.  Looking to bolster a stagnant offense and their young QB, the Dolphins signed a dynamic speed demon and doled out the largest WR contract ever.  Sound familiar.  None of it worked.  No, it was not Flores out, McDaniel in, and Tua with Tyreek being the WR.  It was Sparano, Philbin and Tannehill with WR Mike Wallace.

sorry, i couldn't resist.  but for the record, i am very hopeful this time it WILL BE different.  i really do like McDaniel and i think we are going to see something in Miami we haven't seen in a long while - a successful offense.  but yea, i do think we need to respect the opinion of those who may not yet have bought in 100% - as we've indeed been through this before.

The difference is, we hired a coach from a successful team that actually has a personality and is flexible in his scheme and vision, and has a strong handle on how the modern NFL game is played. That was not the case with Philbin, Gase or Flores. Of course it is OK to not "buy in" yet - we don't know what will happen - but the Dolphins have never hired a person like McDaniel. This isn't a replay of what the Phins have done in the past, whether it works out or not. This is a new approach.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:25 am

One other point to add: McDaniel has built an all-star offensive coaching staff. Gase and Flores had garbage-level offensive staffs. This is new territory for the Dolphins.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:48 am

The Count of Cynicism?  

I doubt I am noble enough or cynical enough to be a Count, but... History teaches me to temper my Phins enthusiasm. Along about the eight or ninth... maybe tenth time they make you sigh "Same ol'Phins." Cynical becomes your middle name. So just call me FinCynicalFanatic!   Laughing

Excellent point by Merc.  It seems every "New, Never been seen before" and "Different this time" for the Phins ends exactly the same; in ignominous disaster.

While I think the Phins have made some terrific moves and prospects look good, there is still one GIANT GLARING problem that has held the Phins in the ALSO-RAN category for decades: personnel setbacks. Either in free agency or in the draft.

Trading away all the meaningful picks is one way to avoid a bad draft I suppose, but those proven players you get come with high salary cap numbers. Is Tyreek Hill going to make the difference at his cap cost versus the four or five low priced draft picks he costs? Assuming Grier could hit on a couple?

I think Hill will, but no team can field a team of high priced free agents for very long before they feel the Cap's inevitable karmic backlash.

I am very interested to see:
a) what the offense is going to look like with McDaniels at the helm
b) are we gonna see a Deebo-type wrinkle
c) or Tyreek over the top, Waddle and Gesicki in the middle, and Edmonds and Mostert in the short game
d) and what Grier has planned for the draft
E) and most importantly...If McDaniels will be a a GOOD Head Coach. Gase can coach the heck out of QBs, but he stunk the joint up like a doe skunk in heat!

We shall see.
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:56 am

finfanatic wrote:The Count of Cynicism?  

I doubt I am noble enough or cynical enough to be a Count, but...

Oh, I don't know. I do remember a certain female a few years back referring to you as...courtly Razz

I personally would've been inclined to trade out of the first anyway, considering how low that pick was. Trading it for an established player wasn't that much of a stretch.

I don't like not having a pick until the 5th (I think) in a draft reported to be deep at WR and Edge but what's done is done. We already saw Grier screw up 2 of 3 first rounders (at least) so maybe NOT having draft picks is a...good thing? scratch

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:59 am

finfanatic wrote:The Count of Cynicism?  

I doubt I am noble enough or cynical enough to be a Count, but... History teaches me to temper my Phins enthusiasm. Along about the eight or ninth... maybe tenth time they make you sigh "Same ol'Phins." Cynical becomes your middle name. So just call me FinCynicalFanatic!   Laughing

Excellent point by Merc.  It seems every "New, Never been seen before" and "Different this time" for the Phins ends exactly the same; in ignominous disaster.

While I think the Phins have made some terrific moves and prospects look good, there is still one GIANT GLARING problem that has held the Phins in the ALSO-RAN category for decades: personnel setbacks. Either in free agency or in the draft.

Trading away all the meaningful picks is one way to avoid a bad draft I suppose, but those proven players you get come with high salary cap numbers. Is Tyreek Hill going to make the difference at his cap cost versus the four or five low priced draft picks he costs? Assuming Grier could hit on a couple?

I think Hill will, but no team can field a team of high priced free agents for very long before they feel the Cap's inevitable karmic backlash.

I am very interested to see:
a) what the offense is going to look like with McDaniels at the helm
b) are we gonna see a Deebo-type wrinkle
c) or Tyreek over the top, Waddle and Gesicki in the middle, and Edmonds and Mostert in the short game
d) and what Grier has planned for the draft
E) and most importantly...If McDaniels will be a a GOOD Head Coach. Gase can coach the heck out of QBs, but he stunk the joint up like a doe skunk in heat!

We shall see.

All top teams have high-priced players. The Phins have fewer than most teams, I'd say. Fortunately, the Phins have structured Hill's and Amstead's contracts in a way that won't destroy the cap in the future, and we do have extra picks in next year's draft. And future caps are expected to increase by a pretty big amount.

As for Hill 'over the top' - he does most of his work with short passes, so I think expectations need to be tempered...I don't see him running a ton of deep routes, because that's not really his game despite his speed - he's much more of a YAC guy. I think Ced Wilson will the primary deep threat, though that will vary I'm sure.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:04 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:

I don't like not having a pick until the 5th (I think) in a draft reported to be deep at WR and Edge but what's done is done.

The Phins pick in round 3 (102 overall) and 4 (125 overall), and then two picks in round 7 (224 and 247 overall).

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:05 pm

I like the Courtly Count of Cynicism!! Cool

The Phins still have a 3rd this year at #102. And the PFN Mock occasionally has a 2nd rounder rated player fall that far.

I have been trading down for a couple of extra picks, but who knows what Grier is going to do. I feel fairly safe in saying whatever he does will not be the same thing I would have done!! Shocked

Laughing

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:40 am

apparently we're not the only people who appreciate the McDaniel hire...

NFL Network tackled this question involving the Dolphins: Are the Patriots or Dolphins the bigger threat to the Bills in the AFC East? Scott Pioli, a two-time winner of the Sporting News NFL Executive of the Year award, said it’s the Dolphins and cited the element of mystery with McDaniel and how Miami can use that to its advantage.

“They had a solid core of players before,” said Pioli, now a broadcaster after serving as an executive for multiple teams, including general manager of the Chiefs. “[It was] a good enough team to beat the Patriots. They also added a head coach who is really going to make a difference. The fact of the unknown and how they’re going to be coached and what they’re doing to do is going to be a bit of a factor.

“The new players all fit the system, scheme and culture that Mike McDaniel wants, the type of team he wants. This is the team that’s going to give the Bills a real run.”

NFL Network’s Willie McGinest, the former Patriots’ defensive standout, also answered Miami to the aforementioned question:

“You can bring in a collection of talent, it doesn’t really mean anything,” he said. “But they brought in players who can make a difference right now. Tyreek Hill, how they upgraded running back [with Chase Edmonds, and left tackle Terron] Armstead. They’ve brought in so much talent to win right now.

“The defense is solid. They’re going to be more physical than they were last year. You look at what they did in San Francisco. Physical, run the ball, a lot of misdirection, a lot of different formations offensively, short to intermediate, get Tua going, then you can probably strike down the field. They added a fullback. That means they’re running the ball.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article259823070.html

is McDaniel singlehandedly changing the national narrative on the Phins? i can't recall the last time i heard the idiot talking heads spout out positive vibes about Miami.

mercury22nathan

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:24 am

Thanks for posting that, merc. Very cool!

The best part about it is that McGinest and Pioli are almost always pro-Patriots. Great to see them putting the Phins above the Pats here!

Flores talked about "changing the culture" all the time, but McDaniel is actually doing it.

The tide is turning. These talking heads better start to get on board now, because if they don't they're going to look pretty damn stupid when the Phins start winning. Twisted Evil

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:20 am

Yeah I saw that on the NFL Channel and was stunned.

But it does look like the Pats have taken a step back with all their free agent losses. But I have learned to never count the Pats and Belicheck out.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2