The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

McDaniel discusses Tua

4 posters

Go down

McDaniel discusses Tua Empty McDaniel discusses Tua

Post by JMP Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:02 pm

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/15/mike-mcdaniel-tua-tagovailoas-skill-set-is-very-successful-in-this-offense/

In an interview with ESPN, McDaniel touted Tagovailoa’s ability and potential within the scheme.

“What I’ve seen is a skill set that I’m familiar with, that’s very successful in this offense,” McDaniel said, via Marcel Louis-Jacques of ESPN. “You’re seeing a very accurate passer that receivers love to catch footballs from — tight spirals and accurate throws, which are huge for run after the catch and YAC yardage. What that means for an offense is if you have people who can run after the catch, that’s an outstanding skill set for him.

“I also see some great athleticism, some natural pocket movement and really, a tough competitor that’s willing to stand in there when necessary. All of these things that are components to a quarterback’s game that are very important in NFL systems.”

McDaniel has said Jaylen Waddle in particular can be effective when it comes to YAC.

Brian Flores had me thinking I was crazy, but it is GREAT to hear McDaniel confirm what I saw from Tua this past season. I can't wait to see Tua develop in this new offense!!!

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

McDaniel discusses Tua Empty Re: McDaniel discusses Tua

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:33 pm

I was starting to think you were crazy for a while there too Razz

But then when the Fins suddenly started winning I saw the light. Which has been revealing more and more darkness both about Flores and with humanity in general.

I am now convinced that Flores intentionally tanked the Titans game by making Tua pass in weather completely unsuited for it so Tua would look bad and be used as the scapegoat for missing the playoffs. Yes, I'm serious.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:16 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:I was starting to think you were crazy for a while there too Razz

But then when the Fins suddenly started winning I saw the light. Which has been revealing more and more darkness both about Flores and with humanity in general.

I am now convinced that Flores intentionally tanked the Titans game by making Tua pass in weather completely unsuited for it so Tua would look bad and be used as the scapegoat for missing the playoffs. Yes, I'm serious.

Well, there has to be some reason why Flores built an inexperienced offensive coaching staff, completely ignored the garbage OL in-season, didn't bother to practice in bad weather before the Titans game, and as you said, decided to go to a heavy passing game in bad weather conditions in that game. There's a story out now, which I didn't read but saw the headline, that Flores supposedly told Tua after the final preseason game that the Phins were going to pursue Watson.

To me, if it looks like a rat and smells like a rat - it's probably a rat. In this case, it looks and smells an awful lot like intentional sabotage...so I'm going to assume it was. Which makes Tua's 2021 performance even more amazing when you consider what he faced. I'm not going to say he was great - he wasn't - but to have a winning record, a positive TD-turnover ratio, and to improve in every single category over his rookie season? Well, that's pretty awesome with everything that was working against him - including a head coach that set him up to fail.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:55 pm

SO...the coach that's suing Ross for tanking deliberately sabotaged his own offense and QB just enough to miss the playoffs because he didn't want said QB getting any credit. Seems about right.

Such predictable far left behavior to accuse others of the exact same behavior they engage in. It's become so obvious that now the majority has caught on. Finally.

I REALLY want this stuff to be revealed in open court just to bury Flores even worse than he's already burying himself.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:09 pm

I am extremely encouraged by the staff McDaniel has assembled to this point.

The Chargers fans are gnashing teeth over the loss of Smith, which is just one sign that we got a good one for OC.

Retaining Boyer - while not a home run by any means - holds the advantage of eliminating any collateral loss of talent on the defensive side of the ball. We maintain scheme so all the players that are doing well in that scheme will continue to do so.

Studesville as RB coach and the OL coach from Boston College, it all points to an offense with a powerful running attack. Exactly what we needed in Nashville this last season, by the way. Not only did we not have the coaching staff to realize that, we didn't have the personnel to do it even if they thought about it right.

The Fins tried and failed with Cameron, Philbin and Gase on the offensive side of the ball. All three had major drawbacks, and many (if not all) were "propped up" in their careers before Miami by outstanding or Hall of Fame caliber quarterbacks. As Brady clearly illustrated over his career a QB of sufficient caliber will cover up a hell of a lot of problems.

McDaniel has had not luxury. He has had a major role in crafting effective offenses with the likes of Garropolo at QB.

It makes all the sense in the world to me. An offense is much harder to construct and train than a defense. You have to have at least a passable QB also, and I'm fairly certain we have that - if not more - in Tua. So, build the offense and focus there first.

On defense, it seems to travel with the well known coordinators in the league. I can all but guarantee if Fangio joins a team as DC in 2023, they will finish with a top 10 defense.
white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:16 pm

white1 wrote:Studesville as RB coach and the OL coach from Boston College, it all points to an offense with a powerful running attack.  Exactly what we needed in Nashville this last season, by the way.  Not only did we not have the coaching staff to realize that, we didn't have the personnel to do it even if they thought about it right.

The Fins were averaging 4.6 yards per carry in the Titans game--over a full yard per carry more than they did for the season. Johnson and Gaskin had 69 yards on only 12 carries. Johnson had the only two hundred yard rushing games of his 7-year career after the Fins signed him. It's not that they couldn't run, it's that Flores refused to run because he wanted to sabotage Tua and miss the playoffs so the QB he clearly had a personal hatred for wouldn't get any credit. Just sayin'.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:06 pm

It's a valid point and I do remember watching that game thinking "why don't they run it more?"
white1
white1

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:33 pm

white1 wrote:I am extremely encouraged by the staff McDaniel has assembled to this point.

The Chargers fans are gnashing teeth over the loss of Smith, which is just one sign that we got a good one for OC.  

Retaining Boyer - while not a home run by any means - holds the advantage of eliminating any collateral loss of talent on the defensive side of the ball.  We maintain scheme so all the players that are doing well in that scheme will continue to do so.

Studesville as RB coach and the OL coach from Boston College, it all points to an offense with a powerful running attack.  Exactly what we needed in Nashville this last season, by the way.  Not only did we not have the coaching staff to realize that, we didn't have the personnel to do it even if they thought about it right.

The Fins tried and failed with Cameron, Philbin and Gase on the offensive side of the ball.  All three had major drawbacks, and many (if not all) were "propped up" in their careers before Miami by outstanding or Hall of Fame caliber quarterbacks.  As Brady clearly illustrated over his career a QB of sufficient caliber will cover up a hell of a lot of problems.

McDaniel has had not luxury.  He has had a major role in crafting effective offenses with the likes of Garropolo at QB.  

It makes all the sense in the world to me.  An offense is much harder to construct and train than a defense.  You have to have at least a passable QB also, and I'm fairly certain we have that - if not more - in Tua.  So, build the offense and focus there first.  

On defense, it seems to travel with the well known coordinators in the league.  I can all but guarantee if Fangio joins a team as DC in 2023, they will finish with a top 10 defense.

Great post! It sure seems like OL and run game are a priority - and what that means is McDaniel is setting things up for Tua to face soft defensive looks...something he hasn't had the luxury of in Miami yet.

Can you imagine a Dolphins offense where we can actually have successful play-action passing because teams are afraid of our run game????? Shocked

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:37 am

DF316 wrote:I was starting to think you were crazy for a while there too

Laughing

Now that's funny, right there.

I agree with JMP: Great post W1.

So, I think what everyone is saying here, and let me see if can translate this clearly... If Tua stinks it up with these Offensive Coaches and HC, then he stinks?

The questions about Tua will be answered? Once and for all.

And THEN... we can ALL Agree, Grier blew it again.... and should have drafted Herbert??!!!

Right? :poke:

Cool

In any event, if the new Offensive staff can FIX the O-line disaster TeamKiller Flores brought on, get a credible rushing attack threat on offense, I think we will all see whether or not Tua is the LONG TERM ANSWER at QB for the Phins.

Or whether they will need to package picks in 2023 to get a new "franchise" QB.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:48 am

finfanatic wrote:

So, I think what everyone is saying here, and let me see if can translate this clearly... If Tua stinks it up with these Offensive Coaches and HC, then he stinks?

The questions about Tua will be answered? Once and for all.

And THEN... we can ALL Agree, Grier blew it again....  and should have drafted Herbert??!!!

Tua didn't suck under the disaster that was Flores, so it makes sense to assume that he'll improve under an offensive coach in McDaniel. But sure - I expect we will find out what Tua really is in 2022.

As for Herbert, he hasn't done anything but compile stats so far. He's won less than Tua to this point, and has performed worse than Tua in key situations.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down