The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First depth chart

5 posters

Go down

First depth chart Empty First depth chart

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:26 pm

take it for what its worth...

Tyreek Hill are Jaylen Waddle were listed as the starting receivers in an obvious move, but Preston Williams — who complained last week about having limited receiving opportunities — surprisingly was listed on the second team with Cedrick Wilson Jr.

Impressive fourth-round pick Erik Ezukanma, who has flashed all camp, is surprisingly listed as a fifth-team receiver.

The third-team receivers are Trent Sherfield and Lynn Bowden Jr. The fourth-team receivers are River Cracraft and Mohamad Sanu.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article264294296.html

a few other surprises here and there, but we're still a long ways away from week 1.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

First depth chart Empty Re: First depth chart

Post by JMP Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:12 pm

The depth chart at this time of year is usually worthless, but always fun to see.

At WR, my guess is the coaches are listing Preston at the #2 spot simply because he's a veteran that has been on the team a couple of years. The reality is, he is not making the team barring a miracle.

Hunter Long is listed as the #3 TE. In camp it sounds like he's been very good as a blocker, and very inconsistent as a receiver. We'll see what happens...

Something that will probably upset a lot of people: Tyreek is listed as the #1 punt returner, Waddle is #2, and Holland is #3!!! My guess is they'll have someone else as the primary punt returner, and use the other guys in certain situations.

One interesting name to think about as we get closer to the season: QB Skylar Thompson. What will the Dolphins do with him? He's looked great in camp so far, and if he continues to look good in preseason I don't think we'll be able to stash him on the practice squad - he'll get taken by another team in a heartbeat. In general I don't like to keep a 3rd QB, but in this case, I think it must be done. Can't let this kid get away...develop him and maybe he becomes a cheap #2 next season.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:28 pm

At WR, my guess is the coaches are listing Preston at the #2 spot simply because he's a veteran that has been on the team a couple of years. The reality is, he is not making the team barring a miracle.

I have a slightly different take - today Breer reported Dolphins have had trade talks with other teams for Preston Williams. Also reporting that Lynn Bowden Jr name has come up in discussions. To me, they are listing them this high on the depth chart as a sales tactic. Reading camp reports, it's no question both Ezukanma and Braylon Sanders have badly outplayed both of them, and in fact are probably the two most likely at this point to make the roster behind our top 3.

Something that will probably upset a lot of people: Tyreek is listed as the #1 punt returner, Waddle is #2, and Holland is #3!!! My guess is they'll have someone else as the primary punt returner, and use the other guys in certain situations.

Count me as UPSET.

Do. NOT. Risk our best playmakers on offense and defense by returning punts. With all the changes to STs, it's a very low-reward move with all the risk of a serious injury. Special teams plays are the most dangerous in the game, with players coming down the field at full speed to attack the ball carrier.

Dumb. Should be a backup RB, backup WR, or a fringe CB like Trill Williams. Don't use our best playmakers!!! What's next, will X Howard be returning kickoffs?!
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:47 pm

Preston could be listed as a starter over Hill, and we'd still be lucky to get even a 7th for him at this stage! Laughing

I have no problem with Hill and Waddle returning punts in key situations, because both are electric players that can single-handedly change a game any time they touch the ball. But of course, there is no reason for either of them to be the primary returner. If they each got maybe 5 - 10 return opportunities during the season than I'd say that's more than enough.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:13 pm

JMP wrote:Hunter Long is listed as the #3 TE.  In camp it sounds like he's been very good as a blocker, and very inconsistent as a receiver.  We'll see what happens...

My biggest fear is in the process of coming true...that McDaniel is so obsessed with "muh blocking" from the TEs that he pulls a Chan Gailey '00 and all but refuses to even throw them the ball all season pale affraid

This is not 10 or even 5 years ago. Teams have proven repeatedly they are not and should not be scared to cut draft picks early. There is absolutely nothing that should make Long untouchable.

white1 wrote:I have a slightly different take - today Breer reported Dolphins have had trade talks with other teams for Preston Williams.  Also reporting that Lynn Bowden Jr name has come up in discussions.  To me, they are listing them this high on the depth chart as a sales tactic.  Reading camp reports, it's no question both Ezukanma and Braylon Sanders have badly outplayed both of them, and in fact are probably the two most likely at this point to make the roster behind our top 3.

That's EXACTLY what I thought upon reading that news (which I'm glad Jmp provided because that first post was starting to freak me out, no joke).

Count me as UPSET.  

Do. NOT. Risk our best playmakers on offense and defense by returning punts.  With all the changes to STs, it's a very low-reward move with all the risk of a serious injury.  Special teams plays are the most dangerous in the game, with players coming down the field at full speed to attack the ball carrier.

Dumb.  Should be a backup RB, backup WR, or a fringe CB like Trill Williams.  Don't use our best playmakers!!! What's next, will X Howard be returning kickoffs?!

I hate to be mean but...it's kinda entertaining to see White1 upset because it hardly ever happens Twisted Evil Razz But for God's sake don't put Trill Williams back there either! What did he ever do to you? Besides if he gets hurt that means IGGY might actually still be on the team and (gasp) see the field! pale affraid I'd rather just have the Fins order whoever the returner is to just fair catch or let the ball bounce every single time TBH.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:19 pm

JMP wrote:One interesting name to think about as we get closer to the season: QB Skylar Thompson.  What will the Dolphins do with him?  He's looked great in camp so far, and if he continues to look good in preseason I don't think we'll be able to stash him on the practice squad - he'll get taken by another team in a heartbeat.  In general I don't like to keep a 3rd QB, but in this case, I think it must be done. Can't let this kid get away...develop him and maybe he becomes a cheap #2 next season.

I am REALLY torn about this. On one hand if Thompson keeps looking good that ensures Grier stays for at least another decade affraid On the other hand...could this be a sign from the universe? As Brady's career ends could another version of him really be on the way? Hmmm...

My take as of right now is to keep him. Drafting him, then placing him on the PS to get poached would be right up there with the all-time dumbest Grier moves, and that's saying a LOT. It would be like traveling over a thousand miles because you heard that there might be a little gold in some area maybe, and then when you actually find some you're like, "Nah, I don't want it after all, I'll just let somebody else have it."

Skylar Freaking Thompson...who knew??? scratch

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:43 am

My biggest fear is in the process of coming true...that McDaniel is so obsessed with "muh blocking" from the TEs that he pulls a Chan Gailey '00 and all but refuses to even throw them the ball all season

Yeah, I don't know.

I know McDaniel is creative, my take is we will see Gesicki used as a slot WR. That is really where he is at his best. You could "technically" call it getting two TEs on the field at the same time, but more likely it's a 3 wide look where Gesicki is playing slot WR.

One of the beat writers pointed out that the Shanahan system used in SF rarely used two TEs on the field at the same time (I think its called 21 personnel). So, again while McDaniel will find a way to get playmakers on the field, it's probably not going to be Smythe and Gesicki on the field at the same time - at least not both lined up as a true TE.

white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:31 am

It seems like the Phins have been working Gesicki in-line a lot in camp. My take on that is NOT that they are trying to turn him into a great blocker - it's that they are trying to make him at least competent. The ultimate goal IMO is to make Gesicki a chess piece that you can line up all over the formation, so the opposing defense won't know what's coming.

I also think, despite what San Fran did last season, that we will see a decent amount of 21 personnel, with Smythe and Gesicki on the field together. Smythe proved last season that he can be a very good receiver, and combined with his blocking ability I really think he can play the in-line role that Kittle played in SF - he can stay in to block OR go out as a receiver. And again, when he's on the field the opposing D won't know if it's a run or pass.

So many possibilities with the offense...we have a ton of guys that can line up anywhere, and there's multiple plays we can run out of the same formations because of the versatility of the players. This is going to be a fun and exciting offense, and it's been DECADES since we could say that about a Dolphin offense!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:39 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:Hunter Long is listed as the #3 TE.  In camp it sounds like he's been very good as a blocker, and very inconsistent as a receiver.  We'll see what happens...

My biggest fear is in the process of coming true...that McDaniel is so obsessed with "muh blocking" from the TEs that he pulls a Chan Gailey '00 and all but refuses to even throw them the ball all season pale affraid

This is not 10 or even 5 years ago. Teams have proven repeatedly they are not and should not be scared to cut draft picks early. There is absolutely nothing that should make Long untouchable.

McDaniel is very much a modern-day coach, and as much as he loves to run the ball I don't see him keeping any players that aren't "multiple" - to use a buzzword.

The frustrating part about Long is that he was a very good receiver in college. His hands were considered a strength. I don't know what happened, but now they're a liability. If he can somehow remember how to catch the damn ball, we may have something...but until that happens I think he's fighting an uphill battle. That said, he is in better position that he should be because Shaheen has apparently been invisible so far (is he hurt???) and Connor is just learning the position.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:34 pm

I would rather see the Phins use someone else at PR and KR.

I had a friend tell me Preston Williams has ticked the Phins org off and he was on the outs. Either he would be cut or traded. And then the depth chart...Makes me wonder if there is a disinformation campaign going on?

Anyway... What I have heard...completely unsubstantiated...It seems the Phins are looking to trade some WRs and a RB maybe for O-line help. They ain't getting any takers though as the guys they want to trade are going to be cut everyone knows.

Again... It seems like there is something going on with the Phins O-line? Like maybe hoping some of the guys from last year who were being counted on to step up are not looking like they can step up? Or the new Free Agents are not generating as much improvement as was initially hoped for? I do not know? I can't nail it down to any one thing, but... But there is definitely something there it seems like. It may just be worry or concern, but after last year, it is enough to make me nervous.

As I have said, I'm giving them 3 weeks. But if the Phins are still churning the practice squad and demoting and activating Oline depth players for the regular season, we might have a bad Oline. Again!

Fingers crossed that I am worrying about nothing.

scratch
finfanatic
finfanatic

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:30 pm

Dammit it’s the one position group Grier has been unable to solve.
white1
white1

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:39 pm

[/quote] wrote:Again... It seems like there is something going on with the Phins O-line? Like maybe hoping some of the guys from last year who were being counted on to step up are not looking like they can step up? Or the new Free Agents are not generating as much improvement as was initially hoped for? I do not know? I can't nail it down to any one thing, but... But there is definitely something there it seems like. It may just be worry or concern, but after last year, it is enough to make me nervous.

I don't know...it sounds like Eich and Jackson have both played well in camp.  The only real OL issue I've heard is that Williams had a few high snaps.  Doesn't seem like a "sky is falling" concern to me, at all, and it is a very fixable issue.  If anything I'd say the OL is progressing nicely and is already MUCH better than last preseason.

OL depth is always welcome, and we can certainly use a center with Deiter possibly out till the regular season, but I really don't see the Dolphins being in the market for a starter, barring injury.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:04 am

I'm very satisfied with McDaniel's response about the returners:

josh houtz
@houtz

mcDaniel on waddle, cheetah, and mostert returning kicks

"special teams yards are yards. same as defensive yards given up and offensive yards gained. we will use our best players to do whatever it takes to score points and to stop the other team from scoring."
9:48 AM · Aug 10, 2022

David Furones
@DavidFurones_

Asked Mike McDaniel about willingness to use Tyreek Hill, Jaylen Waddle or Raheem Mostert in return game: “I’m willing to do anything at any given time at any moment.”
9:41 AM · Aug 10, 2022

Daniel Oyefusi
@DanielOyefusi

Asked MM if there’s a competition at returner

MM: “We have a lot of people that have the ability to return the ball on punts and kickoffs and during the season we plan to utilize everyone that makes the most sense for the team. Remember special teams yards are yards.”
9:47 AM · Aug 10, 2022 from Tampa, FL

Basically, whatever it takes to win!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down