The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Depth Chart 8/9/2021

+4
DolFan 316
mercury22nathan
CarsonChris
Degarmo
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Depth Chart 8/9/2021 Empty Depth Chart 8/9/2021

Post by Degarmo Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:28 am

Depth Chart 8/9/2021 LCrTK9D

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Depth Chart 8/9/2021 Empty Re: Depth Chart 8/9/2021

Post by CarsonChris Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:35 am

Waddle at 4. That has to be a disappointment!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:48 am

thanks for posting. the Herald had an article about this depth chart, but failed to post the, you know, actual depth chart. this is helpful. but in all honest, i take these early depth charts with a grain of salt (Jack Del Rio listed as the starter with Zach Thomas running with the third string until final cut down day).

but a couple of curious notes...

E. Roberts not listed because he on PUP. makes sense.

Fuller listed as the starter despite not practicing, yet rookie J. Phillips is 3rd stringer.

Strowbridge doesn't appear to have improved his standing on the team.

Iggy as second team, but we all know where he's actually been practicing.

again, i gotta ask, is Eichenberg (the only rookie starter) at LG and Davis at RT better than Kindley at LG and Eichenberg at RT with Davis as a backup? as it stands now, there is no OT depth without shuffling the entire line should one of the starters go down. so who is the problem? Eichenberg wasn't as good at RT as they thought? Kindley moving from RG to LG didn't pan out? and if that's the case why not move Davis to LG instead of Eichenberg?

Doaks the 6th RB?

again, i wouldn't read too much into this chart.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:21 am

mercury22nathan wrote:thanks for posting.  the Herald had an article about this depth chart, but failed to post the, you know, actual depth chart.  this is helpful.  but in all honest, i take these early depth charts with a grain of salt (Jack Del Rio listed as the starter with Zach Thomas running with the third string until final cut down day).

ACTUALLY...Del Rio was released after the first preseason game, on August 4th. Way before the final cut down day. Just sayin' Cool

Strowbridge doesn't appear to have improved his standing on the team.

I had literally forgotten all about him until I saw you mention his name. That can't be good.

Iggy as second team, but we all know where he's actually been practicing.

I heard he recently moved up to 2nd team, but was so bad he got demoted AGAIN!!! (Sighs.)

again, i gotta ask, is Eichenberg (the only rookie starter) at LG and Davis at RT better than Kindley at LG and Eichenberg at RT with Davis as a backup?  as it stands now, there is no OT depth without shuffling the entire line should one of the starters go down.  so who is the problem?  Eichenberg wasn't as good at RT as they thought?  Kindley moving from RG to LG didn't pan out?  and if that's the case why not move Davis to LG instead of Eichenberg?

Apparently Grier didn't realize until after the draft that Eichenberg's arms were too short to play OT, or something. So he basically traded up for a guard, who already is looking like yet another bust.

Doaks the 6th RB?

It'll really look bad if he doesn't even make the team after Grier passed up on a RB early yet again. In fact this depth chart makes Grier look really bad in general. Way too many of his recent picks languishing on the 2nd/3rd team and not performing nearly as well as they should. Be better, Grier draft picks!!!

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:33 am

Just because I always bring the optimism, current first team players DRAFTED by the Fins:

LT Jackson
LG Eichenburg
C Deiter
RG Hunt

TE Gesicki
RB Gaskin
QB Tua
WR Parker

NT Davis
DE Wilkins (Seiler clearly will play early against run heavy teams like BAL)
LB Baker
LB VanGinkel
CB Howard

K Sanders
KR / PR Grant

The question IMO is not have we drafted starters.  We've drafted many of our starters and filled in with some key free agents that have done admirably.  Ogbah may be the best example.  But Wilson, Needham, Rowe look like excellent pickups also.  Plus Riley, Scarlett, Butler all look promising as well.

The question, is how many of these guys will become Pro Bowl players, and will we have enough elite talent to make a serious playoff run?
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:44 am

A lot of those guys are starters by default, which has never been a good thing as far as this team's been concerned. Deiter was a bust who's now starting only because Skura apparently sucks. Nobody thinks Gaskin's a good RB and he wouldn't be starting on at least 28 other teams. Eichenberg is currently "starting" at guard because he's not good enough to even beat out Jesse Davis at RT (talk about starting by default!). Tua's starting because he has to at this point.

Meanwhile the top pick Phillips is third string because he's injured (and it's not even his head), the supposed future starting TE Long is out, the starting WRs are going to change by the week since most of them are made of glass, and then there's Iggy...

I'm telling you, this team's going to regress this season to around 7 wins. Even Flores can't overcome Grier's constant drafting and signing of bumblers, busts and bums forever. With pretty much any other coach this current team would win 4 games or less.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:43 pm

LOL! You're really bringing the pessimism today DF!

Here's my counter to your counter Smile

Of all the first team starters we have drafted, all of them except two started last season as well. And that group won ten games. I'm projecting upgrades at several spots starting with AT LEAST the following:

Fuller bringing elite speed to knock the top off the defense.

Wilson as a multi faceted weapon that can run jet sweeps or make people miss turning a short pass into a long play.

Add Waddle to Wilson as another weapon with the ability to score from anywhere on the field due to RAC ability.

Holland already creating turnovers with two picks in camp after winning the starting job three practices ago.

McKinney brings much better run stopping ability than any LB we had last year.

Don't overlook Malcolm Brown securing the backup job - he's the short yardage hammer we needed last year and didn't have.

Butler and Jenkins add more depth at DL, and each brings the ability to stuff the run.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:21 pm

white1 wrote:LOL! You're really bringing the pessimism today DF!

I swear, the sky over my house looks closer to the ground than it did when the week began. Not even joking.

It's not just me, everybody who sees or hears about these practices is saying the state of the O-line is...not good. It might be Flores's blind spot as well, he's already on, what, his 3rd or 4th O-line coach? Hey, even Belichick couldn't draft a WR to save his life.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:25 pm

Question about Fooler. He hasn't practiced since first day. No injury has been announced. Anyone think he may have tested positive again? Getting out of the NFL drug program seems to be an ordeal.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:41 pm

I think Hunt is a future Pro Bowler, either at RG or RT.

Dieter I'm optimistic about. Offensive linemen can take a while before finding a niche (Wade Smith, Billy Turner, etc); if Center is it for him, we have one less draft need next year.

Van Ginkel is another I'm optimistic about; team thought strongly enough about him to let Van Noy go, and Van Ginkel did take a solid step forward in year two.

Of course Tua is the big "if" but early reports are encouraging that a second year leap is coming from him.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:40 pm

These early rosters are really just a sample template. We'll see what's up after the first game.

Third week roster will be closest to Week 1's depth chart.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:17 pm

I'm still pissed at our running back situation. I think we blew a portion of the draft. I still think we should have drafted Chris Evans on day 3. I think he's a day 2 talent.

CarsonChris

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:26 am

CarsonChris wrote:I'm still pissed at our running back situation. I think we blew a portion of the draft. I still think we should have drafted Chris Evans on day 3. I think he's a day 2 talent.

I much rather would have had a RB instead of Long.

Degarmo

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:24 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
mercury22nathan wrote:so who is the problem?  Eichenberg wasn't as good at RT as they thought?

Apparently Grier didn't realize until after the draft that Eichenberg's arms were too short to play OT, or something. So he basically traded up for a guard, who already is looking like yet another bust.

unfortunately, it's looking like i got my question answered...and you were right...

But the other Dolphins’ rookie second-round pick, guard Liam Eichenberg, struggled badly against the Bears pass rush and was replaced by Solomon Kindley during practice.

Eichenberg, who began training camp at right tackle, opened at left guard for the eighth consecutive practice.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article253415765.html

but at least it wasn't all bad news from practice against Chicago...

...the most exciting development in Wednesday’s joint Dolphins-Bears practice in a Chicago suburb was rookie safety Jevon Holland’s continued takeaway binge.

Holland intercepted Chicago quarterback Andy Dalton, giving the rookie safety three interceptions in his past four practices.

And Holland took this one back for a touchdown.

looks like Holland might be the real deal.

Quarterback Tua Tagovailoa had a strong practice — even while facing frequent pressure from defenders...

As for Tagovailoa, he had a fumble when he was sacked by a Bears defender and faced frequent pressure, which disrupted the rhythm of the passing game.

But he also threw multiple touchdown passes in red zone drills and connected several times with Jaylen Waddle and Mack Hollins. He was sharp with his accuracy.

looks like that OL isn't helping much. hopefully sitting Eichenberg will help. i've read a couple reports that Miami is hot on the phones and willing to trade draft assets for OL help.

Enter a new report from Michael Lombardi who is saying that the Dolphins are calling around the league to find help.

"In talking to teams around the league, sounds like Miami is searching for some offensive tackle depth and is willing to make a trade."

https://phinphanatic.com/2021/08/08/miami-dolphins-looking-trade-offensive-tackle-not-good-news/

more ints...

Besides Holland’s pick, Dolphins safety Jamal Perry and cornerbacks Xavien Howard and Javaris Davis also had interceptions.

Asked on Monday which young cornerback has impressed early in camp, cornerbacks coach Charles Burks quickly said Davis, the second-year undrafted player from Auburn.

“He has done really well, been coming along lately,” Burks said. “Detailed in his approach. Technique has improved, ball production has improved. I’m very excited about him.”

first, that is fantastic that the DBs are stepping up...especially Davis...but i can't help but notice the lack of any positive mentions for the other young (1st rd pick) CB from Auburn, Noah Igbinoghene. Sad

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:54 am

I thought I read they aren't playing Iggy. I believe I read they are trying to coach him up and don't want to completely fracture his mindset by letting the Bears roast him in joint practice.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:55 am

If it was up to me I'd keep Javaris Davis and cut Iggy. There's simply no excuse for an already bad first round rookie to actually be regressing at this point. Flores just needs to admit he screwed up, shouldn't play GM anymore, learn his lesson and move on.

Also, it's utterly mind-blowing how this team continues to never be able to identify O-line talent after the first round. For at least 25 years now. This isn't even a Grier issue anymore, it's a scouting department issue. I'm thinking at least some of those guys have been around since the JJ era and they need to be replaced or this will keep happening no matter who the GM is. The damn O-line's going to singlehandedly sabotage and sink the season Evil or Very Mad

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:58 am

CarsonChris wrote:I thought I read they aren't playing Iggy. I believe I read they are trying to coach him up and don't want to completely fracture his mindset by letting the Bears roast him in joint practice.

Wow. Just...wow. Deliberately not playing a first rounder in practice so his feelings don't get hurt. There's truly no hope for this generation or this world SMDH Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

I'm now actually rooting for Iggy to pull a Simone Biles and just quit. Everybody would be better off.

This dude makes Terrell Fletcher look like Sam Madison!

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:00 am

So far, Eichenberg looks to be line depth not starting material. Doakes might be the odd back out. Long has the injury. Holland looks like a stud. Mixed results for this draft.

I read one practice report where the Bears rush was getting to Tua before his plant foot was planted. He wasn't able to pass because of it. All this line rebuild and it's still broken. That's on Grier.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:11 am

CarsonChris wrote:So far, Eichenberg looks to be line depth not starting material. Doakes might be the odd back out. Long has the injury. Holland looks like a stud. Mixed results for this draft.

One good player, two picks that might as well have just been traded away, two more meh players (Phillips, Coleman) and Waddle might be decent.

It might be even worse than that. I am still convinced that Holland might not even be a Fin if the Broncos hadn't snatched Javonte Williams right out from under Grier's nose. Also, he got really lucky that Teven Jenkins has suddenly become a walking injury (and still somehow looks no worse than Eichenberg). Passing up a RB (again) just to take on in the 7th who likely won't even make the team just looks...well, it's not a good look. Injuries happen, but the Long pick made no sense under any context. A group of us could throw darts at a board and come up with better non first round O-line picks than this team has IRL the past 25 years.

Be better, Grier!!! Mad

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:18 am

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2021/8/11/22620791/chicago-bears-vs-miami-dolphins-joint-practice-recap-day-1-khalil-mack-bilal-nichols-justin-fields

The Justin Fields and Jon’Vea Johnson connection is real. The 2 best throws from the QB came to Johnson today. Both on the money and one from about 45ish yards. Impressive stuff. #Bears

This is from a Bears perspective so they don't say who got beat but let's be real, we all know it was Iggy.

These 3 notes illustrate what the practice looked like.

Tua is sacked on first rep of 11-on-11 outside. Eichenberg was in his lap.

Pocket collapses on Tua again. He’s holding the ball too long.

Tua sacked again. Series was so ugly Tua talked to the O-linemen along sideline.

That's from Omar. I highly doubt Tua's to blame for "holding the ball too long" when it seems like he's getting less than 2 seconds to throw it!

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:38 pm

Per a league source, guard Liam Eichenberg has a shoulder injury. That’s why he was removed after struggling against the Bears in Wednesday’s practice.

Solomon Kindley replaced him as the first team left guard and was back in that role to start Thursday’s practice.

Eichenberg “got banged up a little bit so we pulled him,” Brian Flores said Thursday. “It’s day to day. He’s already working to get back. He’s done a good job for us so far. Kind of get over this and hopefully get him back as soon as we can.”

It’s a setback for Eichenberg, because offensive line coach Lemuel Jeanpierre said he hoped to use these practices in Chicago -- and Saturday’s game -- to determine if he’s best at guard or should go back to right tackle, where he began camp.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article253396685.html

figures. kind of makes me think, if they can't find his best position...maybe because he doesn't have one?

With Liam Eichenberg sidelined with a shoulder injury (timetable to be determined), Kindley took first team snaps at left guard and did excellent work in the run game on Thursday. Kindley started 13 games at right guard last season.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article253071923.html

not only was Eichy replaced by Kindley, sounds like he was outplayed by him too.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:41 pm

As for Tagovailoa, he had a strong start to Thursday’s joint session with the Bears but a somewhat shaky finish

Early on, he unleashed touchdown passes to Jakeem Grant and Adam Shaheen in red-zone drills. The Shaheen pass, a 15-yarder, was perfectly placed by Tagovailoa against a close Bears defender.

Another potential Tagovailoa TD pass to Mike Gesicki was knocked out of Gesicki’s hands at the goal line. But Gesicki later made a great one-handed catch, his second such catch in training camp.

Tagovailoa delivered a bunch of well-thrown completions to Grant, Jaylen Waddle and others. And he had two good runs when the pocket broke down.

But he was short on a deep throw to Grant, who came back to try to make the catch and then dropped it.

Later, Tagovailoa and Myles Gaskin muffed a handoff, and the Bears recovered the fumble.

And then Tagovailoa threw an interception on a ball that bounced off Grant’s hands. But Tagovailoa came back with a touchdown pass to Robert Foster very late in team drills.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article253071923.html

sounds like things didn't go quite as smoothly when facing a defense other than your own. Grant back to his old habit of the dropsies? get the kinks out now.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:52 pm

I read Sports Illustrated take on today's practice. It didn't sound good for Miami.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:19 pm

I thought Kindly was playing well last year.

All this swapping and mixing and matching reminds of those glorious days when Dumbstedt and his clowns thought they could rearrange the terds in the punchbowl and make the punch better!!!

This has the makings of a BAD START to the season IMO.

Let's just hope we are not just stirring up another batch off terd punch!! pale

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:43 pm

Eichenberg at LG is a failure of the pick. We still end up needing a RT. By most accounts Eichenberg is Kindley. The same level of play. 2 picks for Eichenberg and the 4th round pick for Kindley and we still struggle at LG and don't have a rt.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next