The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UPDATED:Phins sign LB/DE Trey Flowers

4 posters

Go down

UPDATED:Phins sign LB/DE Trey Flowers Empty UPDATED:Phins sign LB/DE Trey Flowers

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:09 pm

With Andrew Van Ginkel’s status in question, the Dolphins scheduled a Wednesday workout with veteran defensive end/outside linebacker Trey Flowers, as NFL Network reported.

Flowers had 24 tackles and 1.5 sacks in seven games for the Lions last season. He had two sacks in seven games and five starts for Detroit in 2020, after producing seven sacks in 15 games for Detroit in 2019.

Flowers, 29, was a former fourth-round pick of the Patriots who spent four seasons with New England and the past three with Detroit. He has remained unsigned since the Lions released him March 16.

Van Ginkel hasn’t been seen at Dolphins practices Tuesday and Wednesday, and the team and his representation haven’t said if he has a short-term or long-term injury.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article263113073.html

with Van Ginkel's unknown absence (injury?) unknown, should we be concerned?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

UPDATED:Phins sign LB/DE Trey Flowers Empty Re: UPDATED:Phins sign LB/DE Trey Flowers

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:15 pm

and while i'm at it, being concerned and all...

does anyone truly trust that Byron Jones is going to be fully healthy and ready to go by the season opener? and apparently Needham went down in practice today and left the field with a trainer and did not return. and of course Crossen has been sidelined this week with a "minor" injury. and Trill being on IR. should we be concerned with the thin CB ranks? will Iggy start by default? Shocked

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

UPDATED:Phins sign LB/DE Trey Flowers Empty Re: UPDATED:Phins sign LB/DE Trey Flowers

Post by CarsonChris Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:47 pm

Iggy looks like next man up. You know Iggy is smart. He prides himself on not tackling saving his body from injury. 🤣

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:06 am

CarsonChris wrote:You know Iggy is smart.

i know you're being facetious, but it looks to me based on Sam Madison's recent quotes, that might still be the problem.

“Just understanding when you’re on that island, you have to have that confidence to be able to bounce back,” Madison said, noting that he, safeties coach Steve Gregory and defensive assistant Patrick Surtain will “continue to talk him through things. It just happens that switch hasn’t come on and stay on. You want your island locked down; that’s what I’m trying to get him to.”

Igbinoghene was beaten on two crossing routes Saturday. What should he have done differently?

“You want him to be closer; you want him to make those plays,” Madison said.

Madison said the issue began with “reading those formations…It’s really tough because of the route concepts they [the Raiders] run. It’s Cover 3 concepts. Always want to keep the ball inside and in front. If it’s man to man, you want to be closer and tighter.

“Going through film today and breaking it down for him, he was understanding. So hopefully when that play comes up against he’ll be ready to make those plays.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article263851352.html

whether its innate cognitive ability or lack of effort being put into mental preparation, i don't know, but i see a lot words like "understanding", "talk him through", "reading" and "going through film" as the recurring issues.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:13 pm

Iggy stinks.

Cut the cord already. Crossen and that Koudou (sp) guy are both just as good.... or just as bad.

What an atrocious pick this turned out to be!

Especially when you consider what Grier SHOULD HAVE USED that pick for? Shocked pale
finfanatic
finfanatic

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:30 am

Sounds like Needham is fine, and we have several young corners that have looked good this camp. So I'm not as worried about backup CB as others seem to be.

AVG had his appendix removed and should be ready to go by week 1 or week 2.

Byron Jones could be ready for week 1, but nothing definite yet.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

UPDATED:Phins sign LB/DE Trey Flowers Empty Phins sign LB/DE Trey Flowers

Post by JMP Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:52 am

Love this signing! I see him as a backup to Ogbah, and he can also move inside on passing downs. Great edge-setter in the run game, with pass rush skills. Assuming he's healthy, this is a major addition to the front 7. Now we just need a healthy Byron Jones...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:56 am

Instead of beginning to release players before Tuesday’s 4 p.m. deadline to get to 53-man limit, the Dolphins instead added an 81st player on Sunday, agreeing to terms with veteran defensive end/outside linebacker Trey Flowers on a one-year deal. He’s due to make $2.1 million with another $900,000 in incentives, per NFL Network.

With Andrew Van Ginkel’s status for the opener uncertain because he had his appendix removed, the Dolphins turned to Flowers.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article264664294.html

if it is true that AVG might miss a couple games, i guess the Phins didn't feel confident enough with the other outside edge rushers to cover even just a few games.

Even before Flowers agreed to terms, a tough call awaited among backup ends or linebackers among Brennan Scarlett (who has been out with an injury for two weeks), Porter Gustin (strong camp), Cameron Goode (seventh-round rookie has flashed) and Darius Hodge (longer odds). Only one of those four might make the team after Flowers’ signing.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:03 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
Instead of beginning to release players before Tuesday’s 4 p.m. deadline to get to 53-man limit, the Dolphins instead added an 81st player on Sunday, agreeing to terms with veteran defensive end/outside linebacker Trey Flowers on a one-year deal. He’s due to make $2.1 million with another $900,000 in incentives, per NFL Network.

With Andrew Van Ginkel’s status for the opener uncertain because he had his appendix removed, the Dolphins turned to Flowers.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article264664294.html

if it is true that AVG might miss a couple games, i guess the Phins didn't feel confident enough with the other outside edge rushers to cover even just a few games.

Even before Flowers agreed to terms, a tough call awaited among backup ends or linebackers among Brennan Scarlett (who has been out with an injury for two weeks), Porter Gustin (strong camp), Cameron Goode (seventh-round rookie has flashed) and Darius Hodge (longer odds). Only one of those four might make the team after Flowers’ signing.

I don't see Flowers replacing AVG, at all - very different players. I think Flowers is more likely a backup for Ogbah and Phillips, and can play the role Adam Butler was supposed to have as an inside pass rusher.

It will be tough, but I hope the staff can find a place for Gustin and Goode on the final 53. I haven't taken a good look at the roster yet, so I'm not sure if it is even possible to keep both.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:31 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:does anyone truly trust that Byron Jones is going to be fully healthy and ready to go by the season opener?  and apparently Needham went down in practice today and left the field with a trainer and did not return.  and of course Crossen has been sidelined this week with a "minor" injury.  and Trill being on IR.  should we be concerned with the thin CB ranks?  will Iggy start by default?  Shocked

i guess i was right to be concerned. Jones will miss at least the first 4 games of the season.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down