The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game thoughts: Week 16, Packers at Dolphins

5 posters

Go down

Game thoughts: Week 16, Packers at Dolphins Empty Game thoughts: Week 16, Packers at Dolphins

Post by JMP Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:11 pm

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

Unfortunately, the Dolphins gave their fans coal for Christmas with a sloppy, losing effort at home to a bad Packers team on Christmas Day.

The Dolphins dominated early, but after going up 10-3 an ill-advised onsides kick gave the Packers the ball near midfield and allowed them to score an easy TD to tie the game. It was one of the stupidest calls I’ve ever seen, and I have no idea what STs coach Danny Crossman was thinking. Just asinine. Special teams also hurt the Dolphins on the Packers first possession, where returner Kesean Nixon returned a kick for 93 yards to give the Pack a first and goal that led to a FG. So that’s 10 points allowed by special teams mistakes. Add a missed 48-yard FG and a botched kickoff by Raheem Mostert, and special teams was an absolute disaster today.

The Dolphins did lead 20-10 late in the first half, and were approaching midfield to try to score again when Mostert lost a fumble. The Packers got a FG to get within 7 heading into halftime. That fumble took all the wind out of the Dolphins’ sails, and the team went in the tank from that point forward.

The Packers got the ball first in the second half, and the Swiss cheese Dolphins defense allowed them to march 78 yards for a TD on an 11-play 7+ minute drive to tie the game. Green Bay added a FG early in the 4th and the game was pretty much over at that point as the Dolphins stumbled and bumbled their way to a loss.

The offense got shut out in the second half, with Tua throwing three ugly INTs – one to Hill with about 4 defenders in the area, one to a receiver (Mostert) that wasn’t even looking and one thrown directly to a defender with just under two minutes to play and the Dolphins only down by 6. Despite some great throws early, and Hill and Waddle combining for over 220 yards receiving, Tua made several poor decisions and several bad passes and he essentially pissed the bed in a game the Dolphins needed to win. Tua proved today that he is not yet the franchise QB this team needs. On the plus side, the Dolphins no longer need to worry about giving Tua a big contract in the next year or two – he surely hasn’t earned it, not with horrifically bad performances in 3 of the past 4 games in a supposed playoff run.

Overall, it was a really sloppy effort by the Dolphins, with a loser QB, questionable coaching decisions, lots of offensive holding penalties, turnovers, horrendous special teams and an up and down defense. What really hurt about this loss is that the Dolphins dominated early and should have won running away. Instead, mistakes and stupidity led them to an awful loss.

The Dolphins, once 8-3, are now 8-7 and their season is on life support. They now need to win the next two games to make it to the postseason, both division matchups against teams with good defenses that can and will feast on the Dolphins suddenly lackluster offense. If I were a betting man, I’d say the Dolphins will not make the playoffs. I would not be surprised to see them lose the final two games, with a garbage QB and unreliable defense.

Hero of the Game: Jaylen Waddle, with 5 catches for 143 yards and a TD.

Goat of the Game: Tua, who was simply pathetic in the second half and played like a complete loser when his team needed him most. I have zero faith in Tua moving forward, and all the good things he did early in the season now look fraudulent. Dishonorable mention to the piss-poor special teams unit, which was absolutely dreadful.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Game thoughts: Week 16, Packers at Dolphins Empty Re: Game thoughts: Week 16, Packers at Dolphins

Post by JEGnj Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:57 pm

So disappointed and disgusted with this team.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Game thoughts: Week 16, Packers at Dolphins Empty Re: Game thoughts: Week 16, Packers at Dolphins

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:28 am

JMP wrote:Goat of the Game: Tua, who was simply pathetic in the second half and played like a complete loser when his team needed him most.  I have zero faith in Tua moving forward, and all the good things he did early in the season now look fraudulent.  Dishonorable mention to the piss-poor special teams unit, which was absolutely dreadful.

I feel so bad for you. Seriously. Losing your dog was rotten enough but then THIS??? After all the support you in particular have given Tua not just this season, but from the beginning? It's just not right and it pisses me off Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:06 am

it was mighty ugly in all facets of the game.

And the Pats gave the bengals all they could handle.

I was hopeful for the Packers game, but I am not that hopeful for the Pats game.

The Lucy Trigger is extra special brutal this season!

(sigh)
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:20 am

I'm a Tua fan. Except for Brian Griese and Henne I have not like the pile of crap behind center since Marino. I have given Tua a break the last few weeks for being shell shocked but Christmas Day he just shit the bed in the second half. All year we have been beat by game winning drives at the end of the game and when it was our turn he threw it away. Very Very disappointed and even if we sneak in the Playoffs it is not deserved.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:57 pm

The thing with Tua yesterday is, he didn't lose the game. The game was lost by godawful special teams, horrendously stupid coaching decisions, the Mostert fumble and the disgustingly bad defense on the 2nd half opening drive. The issue with Tua is that he didn't win the game. Despite all the mistakes we made, Tua had several opportunities to win the game in the 4th quarter - and he failed, miserably. That is not a franchise QB - it's just not.

Like I said last week, with the worst defense and special teams in the NFL there is only one way for the Dolphins to win: Tua has to carry the team and dominate. Yesterday, he choked in epic fashion. That's simply unacceptable, and it cannot happen.

Repeating myself again, how can anyone possibly expect Tua to beat the Patriots and Jets now - two teams with defenses that range from good to excellent?? We already know that Miami's defense and STs will suck in both games, so if you add a stubborn head coach and a choking QB to the mix we literally have no chance to win.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:52 pm

Saw this on Twitter (yes, I'm so depressed I'm actually reading TWITTER now).

Tua Tagovailoa this season: First 10 Weeks Pass Rating 118.4. Rank 1st Pass TD-INT 18-3 Rank t-1st.

Last 6 Weeks 84.4 Rank 24th. Pass TD-INT 7-5 Rank 21st

It's time to cut the cord. Now that he's somehow in the concussion protocol again I don't see why it can't be right now. Sit Tua the rest of this season (all 2 games of it) and hope some sucker team takes him off your hands for a 5th, since that's all he's worth TBH. If Tua's still on this team going into next season it's a statement that they don't want any fans.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:25 am

By all appearances Tua had his shot. Everything lined up for him. And he has failed.

It’s hard to accept but that’s probably it. He might turn into a Brees somewhere else, but even then with his concussions I can’t see him playing long.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:32 am

Assuming he's healthy and able to play, Tua is the Dolphins starting QB next season - 100%, not even a question.

Despite his recent fall, after 16 weeks he is still # 1 in the entire NFL in passer rating and yards per attempt, #6 in TDs and #10 in yards - and all that is with missing 2 full games. I know we're all frustrated, but you don't replace a young QB with those stats - you just don't. And even if you wanted to, there will be no one better available in free agency and we don't have the draft capital to get whoever the next flavor of the month is.

Speaking of the 2 missed games - with a healthy Tua we almost certainly win both, putting us at 10-5 right now with a guaranteed playoff berth. Now, if Tua gets more concussions next season and/or struggles again down the stretch, then yes - you strongly consider his replacement. But now is not the time. What you do at QB is search for a legit backup, so that if/when Tua does miss time the team doesn't fall apart.

Realistically, the biggest issues on this team are defense and special teams - not QB. Both units are bottom of the barrel and make it difficult to win unless the offense is perfect.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down