The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Backup QB in 2023

+4
CarsonChris
finfanatic
DolFan 316
JMP
8 posters

Go down

Backup QB in 2023 Empty Backup QB in 2023

Post by JMP Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:14 pm

The more I look at the available veteran free agent QBs, the more I think I'd rather save the money and go with Skylar. The vast majority of #2 QBs in the NFL quite frankly suck. If they were any good, they'd be starting somewhere. So why throw a multi-million dollar contract at a player that is probably going to lose if he has to play? Skylar is making next to nothing and at least knows the system and the players, and with another year under McDaniel maybe he can develop into something more than the scared rabbit he was this season. I'm tired of the Brissetts and Bridgewaters that get paid millions and contribute nothing. I feel like we can get the same results with Skylar, and spend the money at a more pressing position like OL or CB.

If Tua misses extensive time we're screwed regardless of who the backup is - just like any other team that loses their starter. Of course, the 49ers were the exception this season...but that only proves my point, since Purdy is a 7th round rookie making peanuts.

I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion, but what do you guys think?

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Backup QB in 2023 Empty Re: Backup QB in 2023

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:25 pm

HA!!! PREACH AWN, BRUTHA!!! TELL IT LIKE IT IS!!! cheers cheers cheers

Seriously, why would you think that's an unpopular take? I guarantee the vast majority of DolFans think the same way. We've seen two years in a row now that throwing millions at a veteran backup simply does not work. Skylar had one more win as a starter this season than Bridgewater, and if I'm being honest the team played better in its final two games than it ever had under Teddy. If I can get the same result with a 7th round QB that I would with a vet that costs ten times more, I'd be a fool NOT to go with the 7th round guy as backup.

Even if he's not and never will be in the same universe as Brock Purdy. (Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.)

The real problem isn't not bringing in another dead end journeyman, it's that this team is the only one in the league who actually needs 3 QBs on the roster every season that Tua is around.

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:35 pm

Thanks for that post, 316. I'm glad I'm not alone.

Minshew seems to be high on the want list of many Dolfans, and I just don't get the attraction. Sure, his overall stats look pretty good, but there's obviously a reason he's not starting somewhere.

I used to be on the veteran backup bandwagon, but watching Bridgewater this season made me realize it's stupid to expect guys like that to win games. Again, if they were any good they'd be starters somewhere. That money can be better spent elsewhere.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:24 am

I agree completely.

I suspect Skylar will have another great preseason and solidify himself as the backup QB.

I think the bigger question is who will be QB #3?

Another drafted rookie QB, or a developmental QB picked up from another teams practice squad.

finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:00 am

Tua still can't play. Eliminated from pro bowl. Still in concussion protocol. If Tua is back expect the backup for 1/2 the year.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:39 pm

CarsonChris wrote:Tua still can't play. Eliminated from pro bowl. Still in concussion protocol. If Tua is back expect the backup for 1/2 the year.

Tua hasn't been cleared for the last two parts of the protocol, both of which are related to practice. Since the Dolphins are not playing anymore this season, there's no practice. So it's just a technicality...really means nothing. Just another media generated story designed to make Tua look bad.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:31 am

I have no problem with Skylar as long as his being #2 is serious and he is getting reps and prepared. Everything else out there is crap. Like I always say if you are a career backup it's because you are not good enough to be the starter.
JEGnj
JEGnj

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:10 am

Skylar, and hopefully get a draft pick to compete with him. Two sleeper possibilities:

Clayton Tune is this year's Bailey Zappe. He may not ever be a starter but has the tools to stick, and win a couple games in a pinch, for a decade IMO. Aidan O'Connell has great intangibles, though I like Tune's arm better.

HalCHorn

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:54 pm

I have no problem with Skylar as long as his being #2 is serious and he is getting reps and prepared. Everything else out there is crap. Like I always say if you are a career backup it's because you are not good enough to be the starter.

Here's the thing about Skylar. Against Buffalo, if our receivers play good or very good - we win the game. Skylar victimized by HORRIBLE drops - and I mean passes going through the hands of Waddle, Tyreek and I think Gesicki had one too.

And this from a rookie seventh round pick, away, in a playoff atmosphere.

IMO that warrants further investment. Continue to develop him and yes, by all means, if he's our backup he will need reps in practice. He's not a fully developed veteran so you can't just put him on the shelf and expect him to come off the bench ready to go.
white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:27 pm

Great point, white. Those three (!!!) Waddle drops were all crucial, and at least one and maybe two of them were likely TDs. Skylar didn't have a good game, but if even two of those drops were catches, we probably win the game. And that's what you want from your #2: a guy that can come in and give you a chance to win.

And let's not forget that Skyalr was the #3 most of the season, and that means that he wasn't even working with Miami's playbook in practice. Give him a full offseason in the playbook and we might see a much more prepared and confident Skylar Thompson.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:51 pm

I agree with Skylar also being the Back-up and with us over the cap right now, We need to save Money where ever we can. Plus with a 2nd Year in the System he should Know the Offense Better.

finskev

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down