The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Remember Renaldo Hill?

+2
finskev
DolFan 316
6 posters

Go down

Remember Renaldo Hill?  Empty Remember Renaldo Hill?

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:29 pm

He is now joining the Fins' staff as defensive passing game coordinator after having been the Chargers' DC the past two seasons, meaning he played a major role in shutting the Fins down just a couple of months ago.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/02/chargers-renaldo-hill-joining-dolphins-staff-derrick-ansley-to-be-promoted-to-dc

But that's not how I remember him. I remember him as a Fins player. Specifically, the first thing that popped into my mind was his TD that helped the Fins beat the Vikings in '06 despite not being able to run at all (the Fins, not Hill). Seriously. I think some of you still underestimate the depths of my NFL history nerdiness  Laughing

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200611190mia.htm

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Remember Renaldo Hill?  Empty Re: Remember Renaldo Hill?

Post by finskev Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:48 pm

I WAS ACTUALLY AT THAT GAME AND REMEMBER HOW BAD THE OFFENSE WAS THAT DAY BUT DEFENSE SCORED TWO TD'S AND WE WON. ALSO I LIKE THE MOVE.

finskev

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:39 pm

finskev wrote:I WAS ACTUALLY AT THAT GAME AND REMEMBER HOW BAD THE OFFENSE WAS THAT DAY BUT DEFENSE SCORED TWO TD'S AND WE WON. ALSO I LIKE THE MOVE.

I am SO jealous of you right now!!! Evil or Very Mad Razz

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:03 am

DolFan 316 wrote:He is now joining the Fins' staff as defensive passing game coordinator after having been the Chargers' DC the past two seasons, meaning he played a major role in shutting the Fins down just a couple of months ago.

exactly my first thought. at the very least he should be able to tell the offensive coaches what he saw in Tua that led him to designing that defensive approach that shut him down - and hopefully what Tua needs to do to defeat it.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:31 am

josh houtz
@houtz

fangio on renaldo hill: "he's a good coach... a really talented coach that has a bright future in the NFL. he worked for us for 2 years in Denver, so his familiarity with me and the system and what we do was important to me... his ability to be a great coach is what attracted me.
1:07 PM · Feb 20, 2023

Love it!

And yes, I remember Hill and that Vikes game! cheers

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:51 am

Dang! I had forgotten that game.

It sure is nice to see what Zach Thomas could do.

2006 Dolphins vs Viking game highlights

I wonder if Hill could read the writing on the wall in LA with the Chargers and Staley. If they don't get their act together this year, Staley is a goner IMO.

I knew it was a good thing getting Fangio, but I am starting to think this may well be a significant GAME CHANGER for the Phins. In addition to fixing the defense, I keep hearing about how much having a former HC on staff is going to help Mike McD?

Make some nice free agent moves, shore up the Oline and make smart picks in the draft... and who knows?

Get those points allowed per game down into the (mid?) teens maybe? Heck, if they can get the opponents time of possession down that would be major improvement IMO.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:40 pm

Our defense will be far more fundamentally sound. Living and dying on the strength of the "zero blitz" and other gimmicky stuff isn't the way to do it. Last season results spell that out very clearly.

We have talented young players to build around it's a good core. They are likely behind in their development due to the poor staff teaching them, but that will change soon enough.

We will have some collateral damage, as there will certainly be players that aren't a good fit with heavy zone coverage and pre-snap two high shell alignment. But this scheme with Fangio running it, game planning and calling it is worth the disruption.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:58 am

I have heard a few ""internet draft experts" all saying Fangio is going to want the Phins to draft him at least one LB and one Safety in this draft?

The take seems to be that most of the Phins LBs are "too slow" to run the coverage schemes.

Free agency should tell us what the Phins think about the LBs they have under contract and their former LBs who are free agents.

At Safety.... who knows? I do think there are some very good Safeties available throughout this draft.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:22 am

Yeah, LB is a huge hole right now...almost all our 2022 LBs are free agents! It's a good opportunity for Fangio to really re-shape the position.

I do agree that safety looks pretty strong in this draft class. It's probably not a priority position for the Phins, but I wouldn't be surprised if they take one.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:09 am

I have heard a few ""internet draft experts" all saying Fangio is going to want the Phins to draft him at least one LB and one Safety in this draft?

The take seems to be that most of the Phins LBs are "too slow" to run the coverage schemes.

The good news IMO is that those are good value positions in the draft, typically. The first round will be chock full of QBs, LTs, DEs, CBs like usual - the premium positions. Linebackers, safeties and center/guards can be taken later with good value.

Random thought: What about Brandon Jones? If you draft a safety to pair with Holland, you could look at a kind of "Big Nickel" package with three safeties, two CBs and two LBs. From what I've read (I know I promised a "Fangio Post" I haven't forgotten) - if those are the best 11 players on defense and Fangio likes the matchups, he will stay in the same formation all game regardless of offensive personnel. Apparently that screws up a lot of thing schematically for the offense.

With his speed Channing Tindall should be a good fit as well. I do not view it as a coincidence that he got almost zero playing time, and two LB coaches were fired after the season. As lackluster as Jerome Baker has been, his skill set probably translates well also.

So the key to me seems to be drafting a safety to pair with Holland. It has the effect of freeing up Brandon Jones to play a hybrid "in the box" role, and effectively creating a linebacker-like upgrade there. You could always add a linebacker too, but we may have some keepers among all the free agents and depth players that saw varying amounts of playing time last season.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:13 am

Baker & the Kid from Georgia are the only LB's who have any Speed. Roberts is a Good Resign for his Strength against Run.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:05 am

white1 wrote:

The good news IMO is that those are good value positions in the draft, typically.  The first round will be chock full of QBs, LTs, DEs, CBs like usual - the premium positions.  Linebackers, safeties and center/guards can be taken later with good value.

Random thought: What about Brandon Jones?  If you draft a safety to pair with Holland, you could look at a kind of "Big Nickel" package with three safeties, two CBs and two LBs.  From what I've read (I know I promised a "Fangio Post" I haven't forgotten) - if those are the best 11 players on defense and Fangio likes the matchups, he will stay in the same formation all game regardless of offensive personnel.  Apparently that screws up a lot of thing schematically for the offense.

With his speed Channing Tindall should be a good fit as well.  I do not view it as a coincidence that he got almost zero playing time, and two LB coaches were fired after the season.  As lackluster as Jerome Baker has been, his skill set probably translates well also.

So the key to me seems to be drafting a safety to pair with Holland.  It has the effect of freeing up Brandon Jones to play a hybrid "in the box" role, and effectively creating a linebacker-like upgrade there.  You could always add a linebacker too, but we may have some keepers among all the free agents and depth players that saw varying amounts of playing time last season.

I love Brandon Jones, but we'll have to see how quickly he can get back to full strength after the injury. As I've been saying, I think he could be a star. I could envision him being the chess piece that they move all over the formation - he seems to have a pretty diverse skillset.

I'm curious to see how McKinley fits in Fangio's scheme. He's smaller, but has a lot of talent - and he's cheap. I'm assuming we'll let Rowe walk in free agency, so will we look to replace him or just go with Holland/Jones/McKinley as the top 3 safeties?

At LB, I'd love to make Baker a full-time OLB - I think that's where he'd be best. I like him a lot more than most other Dolfans seem to. He may not be a playmaker, but he's reliable and gets the job done.

I'm not sure what to think about Tindall. He obviously has the speed, but I keep hearing that he doesn't have good instincts. An inside LB with no instincts is a player that sits on the bench and soon finds a new occupation- so, we'll see.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down