The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phins still not using Suh correctly?

5 posters

Go down

Phins still not using Suh correctly? Empty Phins still not using Suh correctly?

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:23 am

more criticism of Miami's improper use of Suh.

Months after signing a six-year, $114 million contract, the richest ever for a non-quarterback, Ndamukong Suh is on pace to produce the second-fewest sacks of his career, 23 fewer tackles than his rookie year and far fewer tackles for loss than last season.

Defensive tackle C.J. Mosley, Suh’s teammate in Miami and Detroit, says the Dolphins are using a defensive system nothing like the one Suh thrived in as a Lion. And some are questioning that.

“That Suh was an absolute non-factor [against New England] as an individual play-maker would have me all kinds of worried if I am Dolphins management,” ESPN’s Louis Riddick, the former Redskins and Eagles pro personnel director, said. “Neutralized vast majority of the game both run and pass by rookie draft picks, rookie free agents, vet nearing the end of his career.

“No way they ever get [the return on investment] on that signing. No. Way. Not with this scheme or this staff. You don’t pay $60 million guaranteed so you can say a defensive tackle drew double teams and that is what makes it worth it. That is dumb. You make that kind of investment, you better have replicated near every part of the environment he came from to the best of your ability. Otherwise, don’t pay the money.

“For $60 million guaranteed, I would have tried to hire his position coach, run his defensive line scheme, allowed him the same rush game freedom/responsibilities. You don’t fit [market-setting] UFAs into your scheme. You run the scheme that fits them or don’t take the risk.”

Defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo made one change in how Suh is used: He’s wisely moving him around a bit more.

“Once you have a guy like that who can impact the game as well as he can, you want to put him in the right position; you’ve got to put your king in the right place,” said Mosley, who also played with Suh the past two years in Detroit. “He floats around a little bit [now] to get the matchup you want.”

But overall, Miami’s defense is “totally different than Detroit’s,” Mosley said. “The only thing that may be similar, maybe, is the way he rushes on third down. But we do things totally different than Detroit. Nothing the same.”

So perhaps we shouldn’t be surprised that Suh is on pace for 4.5 sacks --- well below his 8.5 last season; 14 tackles for loss (well below his 21 last year) and 43 tackles (compared with 53 last year).

Suh, who had more sacks than any defensive tackle the past five seasons, is tied for ninth among d-tackles with two sacks this season and ranks 14th in tackles. In Suh’s defense, he’s drawing double teams which should, theoretically, free others to make plays. But some network voices aren’t impressed.

“Warren Sapp was the first one to [say], 'Just watch this. This guy is a very limited player. He gets a lot of hype for a lot of other things he shouldn't get hype for. Watch his tape,’” NFL Network’s Heath Evans told WQAM’s Marc Hochman last month.

“So two years ago, I started doing it. Playoff teams, the guy doesn't show up.... No awareness, no understanding of the scheme he's facing. Why do you think no legitimate, true Lombardi contender was after him in free agency? The Lions, who knew him better than anybody, weren't going to pay him what the Dolphins were. There was no one in that race for Suh except for the Dolphins.”

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2015/10/sharp-criticism-of-suh-dolphins-system-continues-dolphins-heat-marlins-canes-nuggets.html

more square-peg in a round-hole thinking? i suspect the use of Suh may be a very large determinant as far as the impending HC search is concerned.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Phins still not using Suh correctly? Empty Re: Phins still not using Suh correctly?

Post by white1 Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:42 am

A signing once more, for the "splash" instead of the substance.

Bad, bad move by Tannenbaum and Hickey.

The NFL is still a talent acquisition business. We pay the big money, but always on the wrong talent. Plus we don't draft well. Until both are resolved, we will continue to flounder.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Phins still not using Suh correctly? Empty Re: Phins still not using Suh correctly?

Post by JMP Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:02 am

Thoughts:

--It's stupid to back up the Brinks truck on a player that does not play an impact position, and it's even dumber to then compound the error by using him completely differently than he was used on his previous team.

--Suh having no impact in the New England game should have been expected - because he had no impact for the Lions when they faced New England last season.

--I hear some people trying to justify Suh's play this season by saying that "he occupies two blockers on every play".  I have several issues with that:

1. No one ever mentions this, but guess what: every single team in the league has a big DT that gets double-teamed...that's how offenses work - you take the big man out to try to open things up.

2. Space-eaters are a dime a dozen in this league - you can always find a FA space-eater available at or near the vet minimum, and you can find young DTs anywhere in and out of the draft.  Big men that take up space are nothing special.

3. Suh got his HUGE contract because in Detroit he had the rare ability for his position to consistently get QB pressures and sacks.  He did NOT get all that money from Miami just to occupy blockers.  Anyone who thinks he did is either misinformed or lying to themselves - maybe both.  Suh was signed to be a playmaker - not just another guy.  And right now, he's a JAG.

Building championship teams is all about drafting well - it's not about landing the highest-paid free agent every offseason.  Until the Dolphins learn that, they'll go nowhere.  Unfortunately, Tannenbaum's track record with the Jets indicates that he doesn't give a damn about draft picks, so unless he changes his philosophy we are SCREWED.

Last edited by JMP on Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:20 am

Agree on all counts JMP.

Obviously with the contract we signed, there is no way we can part ways with Suh. An interesting topic for us is what do we do now?

Here are my thoughts on the topic:
- Clearly, as mentioned in the first post, our scheme is not taking advantage of Suh's strengths.  I see it being difficult if not impossible to revamp the defense mid-season, with an apprentice coordinator trying his best to run Coyle's defense but tweak it appropriately to get more aggressive.  This is likely the best we can hope for this season.
- I do not see Anurumo in place long-term as our defensive coordinator.  Beyond his obvious lack of experience, there is little evidence he'll have a defense track record that is respectable to end 2015.  We're trending right now to finish somewhere in the bottom half defensively.
- My assumption is that even under the scenario where Campbell wins the permanent head coaching job, we will hire a new defensive coordinator, and likely install a new scheme.  In this case, the candidates interviewed should be cross examined extensively to determine their thoughts on what Suh has done well, their knowledge of the scheme he operated in effectively, and their plans for him in Miami were they to get the job.  The candidate that is able to best articulate the a scheme and plan for Suh, along with their resume of past success, should get the job.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:02 pm

white1 wrote:
- My assumption is that even under the scenario where Campbell wins the permanent head coaching job, we will hire a new defensive coordinator, and likely install a new scheme.  In this case, the candidates interviewed should be cross examined extensively to determine their thoughts on what Suh has done well, their knowledge of the scheme he operated in effectively, and their plans for him in Miami were they to get the job.  The candidate that is able to best articulate the a scheme and plan for Suh, along with their resume of past success, should get the job.

Yep.  And I'd extend that to both sides of the ball - we need two competent coordinators that know how to take advantage of their players' strengths, and who are willing to adapt and evolve when needed.  

And as I've said numerous times, we also desperately need a strong GM that understands just how important the draft is - not just for finding current starters, but for adding depth and potential future starters as well.  This current roster blows, and the next GM can't continue to follow the same course that Fireland and Hickey have, where too many of their picks are wasted on players that shouldn't even be in the league.  I'm hoping that we can get a GM and head coach that can work together to add players that fit the team's shemes, instead of just throwing shit at the wall and hoping it sticks.  I want to see an actual plan for player acquisition, where all parties involved share a vision for how the team should look and are able to go out and find those players in any round of the draft, not just rounds 1 and 2.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:06 pm

It seems like Suh leaving the Lions for the Fins was the worst thing to happen to both teams.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:22 pm

Blame this entire shitball on Ross for not cleaning out the place when he was supposed to, two different times now.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:34 pm

At this point I blame Ross for world hunger, terrorism, and people getting cancer.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down