The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will STs improve?

+3
JMP
white1
mercury22nathan
7 posters

Go down

Will STs improve? Empty Will STs improve?

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:44 am

i had forgotten just how bad the Phins' STs was...

For the second consecutive season, the Dolphins ranked among the league’s worst special teams units. Football Outsiders efficiency rated the group 28th in the NFL. Head coach Mike McDaniel opted to retain Danny Crossman, though, saying “it never really crossed my mind” to dismiss the longtime coordinator.

While Sanders finished the season on a high note, he again struggled on long-range kicks, making just two of six attempts from 50-plus yards. The Dolphins replaced Morstead with Bailey, the former Patriot who had the worst season of his career in 2022 and dealt with a back injury. Bailey was an All-Pro in 2020 but will have to show he can get back to that form.

The addition of Berrios should give Miami a boost in the return game —the Dolphins ranked last in kick return average and 31st in punt return average — but it’s fair to question how much of an impact he will have given the new fair catch rules. Miami will also need to improve its coverage units; the Dolphins allowed a league-worst 27.8 yards per kick return.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article277131408.html

that's really bad.  Morstead was a power punter, but was pretty good at pinning teams deep and they may have replace him with someone who isn't any better - or is at least on the downside of his career.  Sanders is Sanders and hopefully he can remain somewhat accurate inside the 50.  but to be not only bad in both kickoff and punt returns (Berrios should help, but maybe it won't make a difference with the new rules), but dead last in kick off coverage too - well, when you that bad in everything, i gotta think you really should look at the ST coach.  i mean really, what else is there are STs teams?  and don't give me injuries, blah, blah, blah - every team has injuries and the "core" special teamers where there all season.

mercury22nathan

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Will STs improve? Empty Re: Will STs improve?

Post by white1 Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:00 am

It's definitely a problem. I guess I was so focused on how bad our defense was, I didn't think much about special teams.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:23 am

STs were awful last season, and I'm not happy about retaining the coach.

But it is what it is. With all the secondary injuries, STs suffered too. Hopefully the team can stay healthy and special teams can get consistency. I'm sure the unit won't be great, but anything would be an improvement over last year.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:27 am

middle of the pack ST's performance would have meant an extra win last year IMO. The return game was non existent, hopefully Berrios can stabilize that.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:43 pm

Undrafted Punter Turk might have a chance to beat out Bailey, Berrios should help PR & KR depending on Grossman philosophy on the Short Kickoffs.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:43 pm

finskev wrote:Undrafted Punter Turk might have a chance to beat out Bailey, Berrios should help PR & KR depending on Grossman philosophy on the Short Kickoffs.

Who's Grossman? Did the ex-Bears QB become the special teams coach when I wasn't paying attention? scratch Razz

I hate that the NFL is on a crusade to make special teams extinct but in this case it might actually help the Fins in a weird, twisted way.

DolFan 316

finskev likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:02 pm

Grossman/ Crossman = Ying/Yang.

finskev

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:47 am

Well last year, Crossman really was gross, man.

(I'll show myself out...)

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 and finskev like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:10 pm

One of my So Fla friends was REALLY upset when McD didn't go after a new ST guy. He wanted that guy who used to coach the Raiders IIRC....?

Anyway... Special Teams was one of those things it never seemed like the Phins (McD) were worried about. They sort of threw crap at the wall and hoped something stuck. Did they EVER settle on a kick or punt returner? Different guys were back there weekly (I had to avoid the PUN and use WEAKLY instead... Rolling Eyes ) and even risked Hill and Waddle occasionally in the role.

Special Teams is like the hideous clock management we saw from McD IMO; something that will not improve until McD REALIZES it is a problem.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:43 pm

finfanatic wrote:One of my So Fla friends was REALLY upset when McD didn't go after a new ST guy. He wanted that guy who used to coach the Raiders IIRC....?  

Anyway... Special Teams was one of those things it never seemed like the Phins (McD) were worried about. They sort of threw crap at the wall and hoped something stuck. Did they EVER settle on a kick or punt returner? Different guys were back there weekly (I had to avoid the PUN and use WEAKLY instead... Rolling Eyes )  and even risked Hill and Waddle occasionally in the role.

Special Teams is like the hideous clock management we saw from McD IMO; something that will not improve until McD REALIZES it is a problem.

I 100% agree on the coach...I would have hired a new STs coach for sure.

But I don't think McD is ignoring STs - I think he's banking on health and continuity, along with a legit returner, helping the STs unit improve this season. We had injuries at OL, TE, LB and especially DB that really decimated STs and forced Crossman to use different players on specials on a weekly basis.

I also think last offseason was all about rebuilding the offense, and to an extent both defense and STs were put on the back burner. This offseason is a different story - a lot of assets were put into the defense, and STs should get a boost from some of the additions made as well.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down