The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which OL will make the final 53?

5 posters

Go down

Which OL will make the final 53? Empty Which OL will make the final 53?

Post by JMP Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:27 am

As I just posted in the training camp thread, I think the Dolphins are quietly building a solid and deep group of offensive linemen. I know the narrative is "the Dolphins OL sucks", but that has absolutely not been the case this offseason.

There are some fierce battles happening at LG in particular, and that makes it hard to figure out who will make the final 53.

It is possible that the Phins only keep 8 OL, but I am leaning toward 9. Here's how I see it playing out:

Locks:
Armstead LT
Wynn LG/T
Williams C
Hunt RG
Jackson RT
Lamm LT/RT

That leaves 3 spots, max. And this is where it gets tricky.

Feeney almost has to make the team due to his salary - although it is possible he starts the year on PUP or IR since he is injured. Assuming he gets healthy, he's #7.

I have Robert Jones as #8, since he can play both guard spots and even pitch in at tackle.

That leaves 1 spot open, with a battle between Eich, Cotton, Uluave and Kion Smith.

I'm leaning toward keeping Uluave, because centers are hard to find and I'm not sure he lasts on the practice squad. He seems like he is worth developing. And if Uluave does in fact make it, Feeney could be out despite his salary - though that is probably unlikely.

I really want to keep Cotton, but unless he unseats Jones in the pecking order it's hard for me to keep him. Kion Smith impressed at tackle against Atlanta, but I think he and Hayes are destined for the practice squad.

That leaves Eich as the odd man out. My guess? He either ends up on IR so they can stash him, or he gets traded for a late-round pick. He has looked good this summer, but with all the depth we have at guard I just don't see a spot for him.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Which OL will make the final 53? Empty Re: Which OL will make the final 53?

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:33 pm

JMP wrote:I'm leaning toward keeping Uluave, because centers are hard to find and I'm not sure he lasts on the practice squad.  He seems like he is worth developing.  And if Uluave does in fact make it, Feeney could be out despite his salary - though that is probably unlikely.

I'd say definitely unlikely seeing as Feeney's would instantly create over $3.1 mil of dead money while saving a measly 125 grand.

https://overthecap.com/player/dan-feeney/5657

That leaves Eich as the odd man out.  My guess?  He either ends up on IR so they can stash him, or he gets traded for a late-round pick. He has looked good this summer, but with all the depth we have at guard I just don't see a spot for him.

OH how I would love for this to happen!!! For one thing it would be less than $800K of dead money and save nearly $1.4 mil. But I'm telling you, McDaniel is under orders from Grier to start Eich and Jackson if they're even slightly ambulatory. It's an ego thing at this point. Grier taking the hit for Iggy is bad enough but he's not willing to accept those two being busts on top of that.

https://overthecap.com/player/liam-eichenberg/9506

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:20 pm

At least one site agrees with Jmp about Eich.

https://bellyupsports.com/2023/08/projecting-the-miami-dolphins-53-man-roster/

Offensive Line

Terron Armstead, Connor Williams, Robert Hunt, Austin Jackson,Isaiah Wynn, Robert Jones, Kendall Lamm, Ryan Hayes, Dan Feeney

Liam Eichenberg is the biggest notable not included. Eichenberg was a second-round draft pick in 2021 and started 26 games in the last two seasons. However, Eichenberg has struggled mightily and Miami has brought in a number of veterans to challenge/replace him. He has continued to struggle during camp, and has reportedly been outperformed by the likes of Wynn.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:30 pm

The Phins could absorb that $3.1 hit for Feeney pretty easily - they have over $13 million available, and could potentially get more with a new Wilkins deal - but I don't think they want to do that. It also sounds like Feeney has taken on a bit of a leadership role, which is a plus.

Keeping Hayes on the final roster is an interesting idea. There's a very good chance he gets poached if he's on the practice squad, so rostering him makes sense if they see a bright future for him. I guess you'd have to risk either Uluave or Hayes by putting one on the PS...hard to imagine both making the final roster, even though they both have upside.

But I also wonder if the Phins plan on keeping free agents Williams and Jackson after the season. It is possible that Uluave and Hayes could be groomed to replace them as cheap starters, and in that case they would both need to be protected on the final 53.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:33 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:But I'm telling you, McDaniel is under orders from Grier to start Eich and Jackson if they're even slightly ambulatory. It's an ego thing at this point. Grier taking the hit for Iggy is bad enough but he's not willing to accept those two being busts on top of that.

I don't believe that for a second. I've heard that Wynn has already moved ahead of Eich, and Iggy isn't guaranteed anything even with his decent showing this summer. As for Jackson, he is the starting RT because he's the best option, and he has looked good so far this summer.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:52 pm

Great thread. Cotton has a chance didn’t he play against Buffalo in the playoffs? I read he graded out well - no way the coaches have forgotten about him.
white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:56 am

I agree, from what I am hearing and reading Cotton has really been stepping up.

I do not understand what is wrong with Eich though? He was highly regarded coming out of College?

And Grier traded up to get him?

Rolling Eyes

finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:19 am

I agree, from what I am hearing and reading Cotton has really been stepping up.

I do not understand what is wrong with Eich though? He was highly regarded coming out of College?

And Grier traded up to get him?

Yep. Last practice report I saw Cotton in the "Stock Up" section. He's having a really nice preseason. If the trend continues, they will find a way to keep him.

Re; Eich. One of the beat writers feels like he's at an all time low for confidence. Sounds like he may be dinged up a bit too. He will just have to work his way through it. The one comment that brought it home was how he lost every single 1-1 rep just over a week ago. This is including practice-squad type DL players. The point was "there's no way he's this bad, it's just in his head right now". He'll either come through it or he will wash out...
white1
white1

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:35 am

With the Robert Jones injury (out 4-6 weeks), Cotton now has a better chance to earn a spot.

Uluave has played a ton in the 2 games so far...seems like they are giving him every chance to make this team.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:51 pm

Kendall Lamm VS Texans. Warning: This guy has a squeaky voice.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:09 pm

From where I sit, Eich is the weak link and shouldn't even make the roster.  Every other candidate we have for the line is bringing more to the table. I'd rather keep Lamm and Cotton over him, I think they've both shown more.

Austin Jackson is having his best camp and this might be a case similar to Wade Smith, where he clearly wasn't ready as a rookie but reaches his potential later. It'd be great to see it happen here, unlike what happened with Smith.

Last edited by HalCHorn on Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

HalCHorn

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:13 pm

It is amazing to FINALLY see offensive linemen developing on the Miami Dolphins! It's mind-boggling to think that we might actually have a competent OL coach for a change!

Lamm is indeed very "impressive" - as the narrator keeps saying! Could you imagine if we actually have a viable LT in-house if/when Armstead misses time?? Shocked

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:15 pm

meant to say Uluave or Cotton over Eich, not Lamm who is clearly on the roster as a OT. Looks like both Uluave and Cotton bring more to the table.

HalCHorn

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:15 pm

HalCHorn wrote:From where I sit, Eich is clearly the weak link and shouldn't even make the roster.  Every other candidate we have for the line is bringing more to the table.

Eich returned to practice today, on a limited basis. In my view, he has a lot of ground to make up for with the time he missed. Like I said, it sure seems like he's behind Wynn and Jones at the least, if not Cotton too. The Jones injury may save him - but he does appear to have an uphill battle.

Maybe Eich can be a throw-in in a trade for Taylor! Wink Very Happy

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:18 pm

HalCHorn wrote:meant to say Uluave or Cotton over Eich, not Lamm who is clearly on the roster as a OT.  Looks like both Uluave and Cotton bring more to the table.

Uluave played almost the entire game against Houston, after playing significant snaps against Atlanta...clearly he's a guy the coaches want to see. He would be my biggest surprise on the final 53 if he makes it - I was completely unaware of him.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:20 pm

JMP wrote:
HalCHorn wrote:From where I sit, Eich is clearly the weak link and shouldn't even make the roster.  Every other candidate we have for the line is bringing more to the table.

Eich returned to practice today, on a limited basis.  In my view, he has a lot of ground to make up for with the time he missed.  Like I said, it sure seems like he's behind Wynn and Jones at the least, if not Cotton too.  The Jones injury may save him - but he does appear to have an uphill battle.

Maybe Eich can be a throw-in in a trade for Taylor!  Wink  Very Happy

If Grier could somehow manage to get something for Hunter Freaking Long, I don't see why not! Twisted Evil

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:28 pm

HalCHorn wrote:From where I sit, Eich is the weak link and shouldn't even make the roster.  Every other candidate we have for the line is bringing more to the table.  I'd rather keep Lamm and Cotton over him, I think they've both shown more.  

Austin Jackson is having his best camp and this might be a case similar to Wade Smith, where he clearly wasn't ready as a rookie but reaches his potential later.  It'd be great to see it happen here, unlike what happened with Smith.  

Except even then it took Smith 3 more teams and 5 more years to get it. That dude was baaaaaad. And not the good kind of bad either! Then again, he somehow some way managed to stay in the NFL longer than any other OT from the '03 draft Shocked Shocked Shocked

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitWa21.htm

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:42 pm

Oh yeah, Wade Smith was godawful on the Phins! Ugh....bad memories.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:44 pm

JMP wrote:Oh yeah, Wade Smith was godawful on the Phins!  Ugh....bad memories.  

He was my Leonte Carroo. JEGnj knows what I mean.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:55 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:Oh yeah, Wade Smith was godawful on the Phins!  Ugh....bad memories.  

He was my Leonte Carroo. JEGnj knows what I mean.

Uuuuggghhh! The Phins traded up for Carroo too I believe?

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down