The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Preseason Game versus Houston thoughts

4 posters

Go down

Preseason Game versus Houston thoughts Empty Preseason Game versus Houston thoughts

Post by finfanatic Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:01 pm

One - Sloppy Play - As bad, and as sloppy as the Phins looked against the Falcons, they cleaned up SOME of their faults but went back to super sloppy in the 2nd half. Tua started off throwing a hideous INT that I still do not know if the ball slipped or what, but no way, no how he should have let that ball go where it did! After a 4th down stop inside the ten, the Phins get the ball back and a high snap led to an almost safety!! Then Tua proceeded to march the Phins down the field for a 93 yard drive (it was really almost a 99 yard drive after the botched snap lost yards on 1st down.) The Phins running game was potent when the Oline opened the holes, or sealed off the holes like they were supposed to. I did see way too many defenders beating their Phin Olineman and making too many stops before the RB could reach the hole. But there never seemed to be back to back instances of that happening? The OLINE play needs to improve, but the O line that started the game did a sound job of protecting and zone/seal blocking. If the O Line can continue to do that versus the better Defenses in the league, the Phins could have a very good season. A potent running game would REALLY make McD's offense nearly impossible to stop IMO. Again, it was the Texans and not all of their starters were playing on D, so... But as bad and demoralizing as the sloppy play against the Falcons was, the play against the Texans was that encouraging.

Two - QBs - Tua started off with a horrid, I mean gut-wrenchingly bad INT, and was able to bounce back from it. He made some great reads and even got hit and took a fall in a rolling manner, so as not to smack his head on the turf. Very nice to see. Let's hope he doesn't get severely smacked all season. Knock on wood! Skylar played well. He held the ball too long a few times. I think twice, but it may have been only once, he took forever getting the play called and got a delay of game penalty. That should NEVER Happen. I blame McD for this!! Still, the QB play was fairly good throughout the game for the Phins. One long TD drive for Tua and two long drives for Skylar and a nice TD inside two minutes in the first half for Skylar set up by Ahmed's 65 yard run!!. Right now, I will say I have no problem with going into the Season with Skylar being the #2 QB. I might keep White as the #3 Emergency QB as the Phins Oline still misses an assignment or two here and there... But continue developing Skylar is what I would do.

Three - Defense - There are a few problem areas, backup D-line, DB Depth, safety, but if the Phins D starters stay healthy, this could be a very nice season for the Phins!! David Long looks like a faster Zach Thomas! He either knew the play call or guessed right on a few plays and made some simply dazzling run stops vs the Texans. Channing Tindall flashed some in a few plays. He has terrific speed. If he can ever start just reacting instead of having to think about what to do... The Phins D looked stout and this was with a very poor to non-existent pass rush. The Texans 2nd and 3rd and 4th string receivers played poorly but the Phins were much closer to them than they were to the Falcons receivers last week IMO. The 2nd and 3rd string D line is just okay. Nobody really stood out to me it seemed. And Iggy... He gets beat way too much by a quick change of direction it seems. Straight line and he can run, but any zig and zag, plant a foot and pivot and he is too far away to make the play. Some of the backup LBs did a poor job in zone. I saw Rose watching the QB and get pulled out of position by Mills eyes... he let a TE drift right behind him and make a reception. But generally, you can see the way the Fangio scheme works. And once the Phins gets some pass rushers in the game... Ramsey returns... Who knows?

Special teams - No horrendous breakdowns, but nothing too great either. I am still at a loss to understand the coverages on punts and kickoffs. On one they have the entire field covered, and then the next time, they seem to be clustered off to one side, just begging for a long return to be given up.

Players who I noticed - David Long. Austin Jackson. Skylar Thompson. Channing Tindall. Salvan Ahmed. Berrios looks like he might cost Cracraft a job. But McD likes Cracraft so...

Players who stank... There are some fairly bad Olineman playing for the Phins in the 4th qtr. Too much inconsistency and too many knuckle headed plays. One.. I forget who.. made back to back dumbarsed penalties. A false start I think and and then he forgot the snap count and fired out in a down block... Was that Smith? I cannot remember?

The Phins looked much better in this game but that may have just been cause the Texans looked slower and less organized than the Phins it seemed. But I did see some signs for hope in this upcoming season. I stand by my original premise though: The Phins season is going to be determined by the extent of the injuries and the extent of the multiple injuries at any one position. I guess you could say that about every team in the NFL, and EVERY YEAR!!! Laughing Like I heard somebody say on a broadcast the other day "There is a lack of quality depth all across the NFL."
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Preseason Game versus Houston thoughts Empty Re: Preseason Game versus Houston thoughts

Post by white1 Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:57 pm

Great thoughts FF.

I echo those. I am higher on Skylar Thompson than most... for an unheralded rookie he definitely has an intriguing skill set and would like to see the Fins continue to invest in him. Signing White looks like a waste of time to me. But no matter, White is in concussion protocol now anyway (I think) so Thompson should get an extended look and more development time.

Ahmed looked like a man possessed. It's going to be hard to try and stash him, or otherwise keep him off the 53. Underscores how misguided the pursuit of Cook may have been - and IMO calls into serious question the Achane draft selection. Let's face it: Regardless of talent (almost) RB is a luxury pick. And we have depth problems at premier positions on both the DL and OL that are far more critical to this roster. It's not like we have one - we have about 4 - Mostert, Wilson, Ahmed and Gaskin. Brooks is flashing some talent too and he's a bigger body. Let's also not forget we carry a fullback, and Ingold is a good pass catcher and good short yardage runner too.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Preseason Game versus Houston thoughts Empty Re: Preseason Game versus Houston thoughts

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:09 pm

It's not a lack of quality depth so much as it's a case of every team having lots of backups get hurt and then in some cases the backups OF the backups go down. All of this can be directly traced to the NFLPA sabotaging themselves yet again by whining about having to practice too long and getting practice time reduced in the last CBA. Now their bodies can't get properly acclimated to football again after the longest offseason of any professional sport and there's a massive rise of injuries across the board. Good one, guys! Rolling Eyes

BTW Mike White somehow managed to get himself concussed. Although at this point I'm convinced the NFL now has an unwritten rule that only Dolphins QBs can get concussions and those of every other team could literally get knocked unconscious and be declared perfectly fine. Right now that signing makes Bridgewater's look brilliant! Shocked

Also, I saw the official NFL highlight of the game on Youtube and every Tua throw after the INT was edited out. The Tua hate is very organized, concerted and real.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:11 pm

white1 wrote:Great thoughts FF.  

I echo those.  I am higher on Skylar Thompson than most... for an unheralded rookie he definitely has an intriguing skill set and would like to see the Fins continue to invest in him.  Signing White looks like a waste of time to me.  But no matter, White is in concussion protocol now anyway (I think) so Thompson should get an extended look and more development time.

Ahmed looked like a man possessed.  It's going to be hard to try and stash him, or otherwise keep him off the 53.  Underscores how misguided the pursuit of Cook may have been - and IMO calls into serious question the Achane draft selection.  Let's face it: Regardless of talent (almost) RB is a luxury pick.  And we have depth problems at premier positions on both the DL and OL that are far more critical to this roster.  It's not like we have one - we have about 4 - Mostert, Wilson, Ahmed and Gaskin.  Brooks is flashing some talent too and he's a bigger body.  Let's also not forget we carry a fullback, and Ingold is a good pass catcher and good short yardage runner too.

Grier's top two draft picks now both have shoulder injuries. There's a very real chance that Skylar may be the only player of any significance from Grier's last two drafts at all--and I'm not sold on him as being any sort of answer. Even that pick is a slap in the face and mocks me for...reasons.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:44 am

Biggest positive takeaway for me is the play of the OL. The starting unit was excellent again. They look like a completely different team from last year in run blocking - it has clearly been an emphasis this offseason. Wynn has locked up the starting LG spot IMO. The Robert Jones injury hurts, but fortunately he should be back fairly early in the season.

Biggest negative takeaway is the awful STs play. This team is TERRIBLE on coverage. You can chalk it up to preseason, with tons of backups playing, but it's been a pattern ever since Crossman became the coach. Also not impressed with the new punter.

I thought Tindall did a few nice things, and Achane showed some good stuff before the shoulder injury. Ahmed is doing all he can to make the team, but his pass blocking skills remain abysmal and could be his demise.

The depth players looked worse and worse as the game went on, though you could say that about every team. Not really a concern since most of those guys are not making the team.

Overall - so far, so good.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:53 am

W1 wrote:and IMO calls into serious question the Achane draft selection. Let's face it: Regardless of talent (almost) RB is a luxury pick. And we have depth problems at premier positions on both the DL and OL that are far more critical to this roster. It's not like we have one - we have about 4 - Mostert, Wilson, Ahmed and Gaskin.

Yes, but I think all of the RBs except Achane are on one year contracts? Mostert and Wilson signed two year (??) but that was just to spread the signing money out I think?? Anyway... I had no problem with Achane being drafted, as his speed makes him a weapon, but he is undersized.

As far as drafting... I have NEVER been able to determine how Grier sets up his board. I think the only draft pick I got right of his has been Waddle. I assume his thinking is that he has quality starters at DT and OL and just needs some backups who can fill in. A draft pick DT or Olineman will probably need development?

Grier gets the choices wrong when he does make an Oline selection: Eichenberg instead of Creed Humphrey for example. And he traded UP to get Eich!

The draft is a crapshoot of course, but trading up to get a guy who just plain STINKS is abysmal IMO.

And then, let us not forget, Grier seems to think the draft picks are to be used as poker chips to trade for a proven player and not to restock the team with young, cheap talent! Of course, when you cannot draft, trading picks for a proven player is probably the way to go. But at some point, this strategy is liable to have serious cap consequences IMO.

DF316 wrote:Grier's top two draft picks now both have shoulder injuries. There's a very real chance that Skylar may be the only player of any significance from Grier's last two drafts at all--and I'm not sold on him as being any sort of answer. Even that pick is a slap in the face and mocks me for...reasons.
I will say it for you, DF316... BROCK PURDY!! Laughing

Again, if the 49ers had taken Skylar, I think there is a good chance Skylar is would be the phenom as well? Who knows?

JMP wrote:Biggest positive takeaway for me is the play of the OL. The starting unit was excellent again. They look like a completely different team from last year in run blocking - it has clearly been an emphasis this offseason. Wynn has locked up the starting LG spot IMO. The Robert Jones injury hurts, but fortunately he should be back fairly early in the season.

Yes, the starting Oline played very well. With the exception of that one high snap I guess... It probably should be Wynn, but I have heard there is a hope that Eichenberg can secure the spot? I thought this was peculiar as to me it seems Eich is just too inconsistent and just plain STANKY, but the Phins did trade up to get him?

I did have a talk the other day with the former college coach Friend of a Friend and he said he thought the Phins made a mistake moving Eichenberg to Guard and should have let him develop as a Tackle. The call got cut short before I could quiz him up on that but...

Would Eich make a better OT than OG? When he played OT I seem to recall he was getting beat like a rented mule!! I think he is one of those guys who plays well in college and just is unable to step up his game to the NFL level. The speed, size, and strength he faces on every snap is not like the players he faced in college.

Eich just seems to have slow twitch movements IMO. The ball is snapped and for a split millisecond, he ain't moving, the defender has already got the first step, and Eich finds himself reacting instead of dictating. In college, he was probably as strong and as fast as 90 percent of the opponents. In the NFL, it might be 50% or lower than that even!! Technique can only get you so far when the opponent is as strong and as fast as you are. Good Technique applied a milli-second too late is just as bad as bad technique IMO. The Oline zone blocking the Phins use requires you get to or into the position for the block (your zone) BEFORE the opponent. I don't think Eich can consistently do that. AT OG or at the OT Position.

I would not be surprised if he does not make the cut. If he does, it will be because of Grier wanting to salvage a player he traded up to get IMO.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:11 pm

I think Eich is headed for PUP or IR, just so they don't have to make an immediate decision on him. But right now, he's clearly behind Wynn and a healthy Jones, and maybe even Cotton. I don't think his draft status matters at all.

I do think he's been better at Guard. I thought he looked decent at times last year, and supposedly he's had a good camp. At tackle he was just a complete waste of space IMO.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:38 pm

I do think he's been better at Guard. I thought he looked decent at times last year, and supposedly he's had a good camp. At tackle he was just a complete waste of space IMO.

If I remember right his height and wing span were marginal for tackle.... prob why he struggled mightily there.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:05 pm

If everything I'm reading is correct even Eichenberg himself now knows he's not cut out for the NFL.

Contrary to popular belief, I'm never happy when a player washes out. But the bigger travesty is always a team KNOWING a player's not good enough and keeping him anyway out of some forlorn hope he might somehow eventually turn out to maybe be kinda sorta okayish one day, or--as I strongly suspect in this case--out of sheer stubborn spite since cutting a player who clearly deserves to be cut would be personally embarrassing for the guy who hand-picked him, and we just can't have that now can we?

In any case keeping Eich on the roster and in the NFL is in fact doing him a severe disservice on multiple levels.

I also have a sinking feeling this'll be a situation where there are so may injuries at a position that the obvious draft bust who doesn't belong on the team or in the league gets a reprieve simply because there's nobody else, much like Iggy last season. Who was still a healthy scratch almost every game if you recall. It's almost like these guys are spending more time sticking pins in voodoo dolls than getting better.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:15 pm

The thing is, though, Eich isn't a draft bust. He's a serviceable guard, a marginal starter. Based on his play last season, there's clearly a place for him in the NFL. Not everyone can be an All Pro.

And Grier has gotten shit on for YEARS by his own fanbase...I doubt he cares how he looks if Eich doesn't make the team this season.

Chances are, Eich will be on the final roster if he's healthy. But he needs to start playing, because while he's hurt his already-precarious starting job is up for grabs, and he's falling behind the competition.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:19 pm

Two other notes:

To me, TE Julian Hill has made this team. He looks the part. Good hands, good run after catch ability...he just seems like a quality player. In contrast, Elijah Higgins looks terrible - he can't block at all (even though he was supposed to be a good blocker) and he's done nothing in the passing game.

I'm also finding a spot for Chris Brooks at RB, even if it means we might lose Ahmed or Gaskin if they go to the practice squad. Brooks is just a different back compared to all the others. He's got nice burst and good power, and he looks like a really good receiver.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:57 pm

JMP wrote:Two other notes:

To me, TE Julian Hill has made this team.  He looks the part.  Good hands, good run after catch ability...he just seems like a quality player.  In contrast, Elijah Higgins looks terrible - he can't block at all (even though he was supposed to be a good blocker) and he's done nothing in the passing game.

You might be right...

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:09 pm

Thanks for posting, 316 - great video!

Really good to see the blocking from Hill, which doesn't show up all the time when you watch the game. I haven't seen blocking like that from a Dolphins TE in a long time!

Hill looks very comfortable in everything he does - blocking, route running, catching, running after the catch. As I said, he looks the part of an NFL TE.

Way too early to make a prediction this bold, and I know I'm clearly overreacting, but if he keeps it up he could very well develop into a quality #1 TE! The skillset is there, and on this roster there isn't a lot of distance between #1 and #4 in the TE room!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:20 pm

And speaking of TEs:

Barry Jackson
@flasportsbuzz

Dolphins take Tanner Conner off PUP..... TE coach Embree said today that Smythe is only TE who has a job "locked up."

10:33 AM · Aug 22, 2023

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:00 pm

Yeah Hill is a "Fighting Camel" and I was told to watch out for him awhile back.

He has shown more than Conner IMO.
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:29 pm

finfanatic wrote:Hill is a "Fighting Camel"

The Campbell University Fighting Camels...led by team mascot, Gaylord the Camel! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

(Seriously, I did not make that up.)

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:54 pm

JMP wrote:
finfanatic wrote:Hill is a "Fighting Camel"

The Campbell University Fighting Camels...led by team mascot, Gaylord the Camel!   Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

(Seriously, I did not make that up.)

I just checked PFR. Believe it or not there is no NFL player past or present out of Campbell. Not a single one. Julian Hill could literally be the first Shocked Shocked Shocked

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/schools/

That alone makes me root for him with all my heart and soul cheers cheers cheers I'm even willing to throw my pet project from last season Tanner Conner under the bus to make it happen.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:52 pm

I wondered if Campbell ever produced an NFL player...should've just asked you! LOL

Seriously, though, that would be pretty damn awesome!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:30 am

What a great position to find a gem! Crossing my fingers hoping he makes the 53!
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:35 am

white1 wrote:What a great position to find a gem! Crossing my fingers hoping he makes the 53!

Yeah, I really hope Hill makes it. It would a shame to see him get cut while we keep a veteran like Kroft, who has shown absolutely nothing.

Smythe is a lock, and the way the coaches talk about Saubert it seems like he's in too. That leaves one or two spots available at TE, depending on if they keep 3 or 4. Hill adds a dimension to the passing game that Smythe and Saubert just don't have, and he can block too. Seems like a no brainer to me, but who knows what's going on in practice and in the classroom.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:35 am

I didn't feel like making a new thread for the Jags game since it was really meaningless. But I thought the first team offense looked good. They moved the ball well and would have had two scoring drives if not for the bad snap by Williams. Tua looked great, and Hill, Chosen and Ingold made some key catches. Later in the game, Cracraft and Ced Wilson made some plays. I know everyone will trash Skylar for the two terrible INTs, but other than those bad throws I thought he looked very good - made some great throws and extended drives with his legs.

Most importantly, I thought the starting OL played very good, in particular Lamm and Jackson.
Lamm has been a godsend. I know it's only preseason, but he didn't allow a single pressure in 3 games and I now feel very comfortable with him playing LT if/when Armstead misses time.

If the Phins are unable to trade Ced Wilson, the WR battle is going to be really tough. As much as I like his potential, EZ seems like #7 at a position where the team probably keeps 6.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:45 am

Have not seen it yet.  NFL Channel screwed up the recast.  Rolling Eyes  

One thing that is concerning: Williams seems to have a propensity for high snaps. Like not just little high, but way too high!

Lets hope the Phins running game shows up against the Chargers. A dedicated, reliable, stick to it, running game.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:08 am

finfanatic wrote:

One thing that is concerning: Williams seems to have a propensity for high snaps. Like not just little high, but way too high!

Seems to happen once a game. The frustrating part is, he seems to be great otherwise. Those high snaps are drive killers, though.

The run D looked awful against the Jags, BTW. I'm not worried, but if Wilkins misses time it becomes a concern.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down