The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Week 1 Game Thoughts: Dolphins at Chargers

+3
CarsonChris
DolFan 316
JMP
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Week 1 Game Thoughts: Dolphins at Chargers Empty Week 1 Game Thoughts: Dolphins at Chargers

Post by JMP Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:59 pm

An instant classic. That’s the only way to describe today’s game with the Dolphins on the road against the Chargers.  The game featured 60 first downs, 970 total yards, 70 points, SEVEN lead changes, and more drama than you’ll find on Twitter or X or whatever the hell it’s called now.  

Now, I know many Dolphins fans will focus on the negatives from this game: horrendous run defense, inept-QB-center exchanges, absurdly one-dimensional offensive play-calling.  All of those things are true, and must be addressed.  However, this Dolphins team just went to LA and walked away winners, securing a very important conference win and sending a statement to the rest of the league.  So I don’t want to hear the complaints and the “buts” - let’s enjoy this incredible win.

I have to start with Tua.  There were so many questions surrounding him this offseason, and he answered them all today.  It wasn’t always pretty - too many forced passes, problems with the snap, etc. - but in the end, Tua stepped up and made clutch passes all game, including the game-winning TD on maybe the most impressive pass of his career.  Tua was phenomenal today, warts and all, throwing for 466 yards and 3 TDs.  When the game was on the line, Tua rose to the occasion and guided his team to victory - unlike his counterpart on the Chargers…

But Tua couldn’t have done it without the help of Tyreek Motherfucking Hill.  I don’t usually use bad language in these game posts, but there is no other way to say it: Reek is a badass motherfucker. If Webster’s dictionary is still a thing, the word “playmaker” needs to have Tyreek’s name and picture added to the definition.  The dude is just money.  You can keep your Justin Jeffersons, DK Metcalfs, Jammar Chases - all great players without a doubt - because there is no more electric player in the league than Hill.  11 catches for 215 yards and 2 TDs??  Are you kidding me??  And people wonder why Mike McDaniel won’t call running plays!

But seriously…Mike McDaniel needs to call more running plays.  Dolphins running backs had 13 carries today.  Tua threw the ball 45 times.  I do not expect or want a 50-50 run-pass split, but it’s got to be more balanced than it is.  It worked out today - but you can’t live like that week to week.  Anyway…

It really was the Tua and Tyreek show on offense, but I have to mention huge plays made by River Cracraft, Braxton Berrios, Alec Ingold, Jaylen Waddle and Durham Smythe.  All made clutch plays and kept drives alive.  This is a dynamic group of receiving weapons, and Tua made use of them all today.  I also need to mention Erik Ezukanma, who had a long run on an end-around, and also made what may have been the turning point play of the game by drawing a pass interference on a deep ball at the end of the first half, setting up a Dolphins FG that would turn out to be crucial to the win.

I was going to talk defense now, but since I mentioned the FG…Jason Sanders had a really good game for about 58 minutes -  and then he nearly blew it by missing the extra point on the game-winning TD, giving the Chargers a chance to win the game with a FG that fortunately never happened because Justin Herbert (and an attacking Dolphins D).

So, yeah, the defense.  For 58 minutes, this may have been the worst Dolphins defense I’ve seen since He-Who-Cannot-Be-Named was the defensive coordinator.  The run defense was so horrifically godawful bad that I cannot even begin to express it in words.  I was ready to grab my pitchfork and lead an angry mob to Vic Fangio’s house.  And then: the Chargers were forced to go into passing mode on their final drive, and Fangio unleashed the motherfucking hounds (sorry…more bad language).  The Miami pass rush, which had been MIA for the majority of the game (aside from a brilliantly-timed Kader Kohou blitz resulting in a sack in the first half), woke up with a vengeance.  There was a non-stop flurry of pressure from Zach Sieler, Christian Wilkins, Bradley Chubb and - here’s that word AGAIN - Jae Motherfucking Phillips.  Jae is a BEAST.  He found an extra gear on that final drive, and he attacked with a relentless fury.  Herbert was rattled and couldn’t do anything - except intentionally ground the ball and get sacked.  So, yeah, when all is said and done, I’m willing to put aside 58 minutes of atrocious defense and give Fangio props for getting the job done when it mattered.

One final note: the much-maligned offensive line that all the “experts” said would get destroyed by Bosa and Mack allowed a grand total of zero sacks today, with the fearsome pass-rushing duo combining for just 3 tackles.  Kendall Lamm had his awkward moments, Connor Williams can’t snap, and there was a weird LG platoon with Wynn and Eichenberg going in and out that I guess somehow worked, but overall the OL was great today.  Austin Jackson was downright fantastic.  

Just so you know where my head was at, I absolutely 100% knew that Tua was going to lead the Phins to a TD to take the lead at the end - and of course, he did.  But when I saw how much time was on the clock, combined with the way the D had played all day, I absolutely 100% knew that we’d see overtime.  Then when Sanders missed the extra point, I absolutely 100% knew that we’d lose on a game-winning FG in regulation.  Yep, I lost faith.  But I lost my mind when the defense smothered Herbert and secured the victory!  I’ve had a lot of good moments as a Dolfan, but honestly, the last offensive and defensive series today made me as proud of this team as I can ever remember.  The heart, desire and will to win I saw today were inspiring.  Yeah, it’s the first game of a 17-game season.  But this really felt like a special, identity-defining victory.  Let’s hope it is a springboard for great things to come!

Hero of the Game: Tua and Tyreek.  Was there ever a doubt?  And my man Jae Phillips gets honorable mention - dude got to see his college team come from behind in an upset victory Saturday, and then he carried his NFL team to the same result the next day.  What a weekend!

Goat of the Game: Vic Fangio narrowly escaped this “honor”, so instead it goes to Connor Williams.  Either learn your job, or retire.  Enough is enough.

Last edited by JMP on Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 and white1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Week 1 Game Thoughts: Dolphins at Chargers Empty Re: Week 1 Game Thoughts: Dolphins at Chargers

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:11 pm

I've been looking forward to this post like a kidnapped child looks forward to...the sound of freedom Cool

SO much to unpack here but I'll start with this rather...interesting tidbit from the espn.com game recap.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/recap/_/gameId/401547401

Chargers: WR Mike Williams left the game in the second quarter to be evaluated for a head injury. He returned to the game in the second half.

SO...concussions apparently don't exist unless Tua or a Fins player gets them? scratch

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Week 1 Game Thoughts: Dolphins at Chargers Empty Re: Week 1 Game Thoughts: Dolphins at Chargers

Post by JMP Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:15 pm

Yeah, I was surprised when Williams came back into the game. It clearly looked like he had a head injury of some sort. Obviously there is a different set of rules for Tua and the Dolphins when it comes to head injuries. Mad

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:21 pm

Forgot to mention Justin Bethel. He was in on a couple of those key pressures on the last drive, and also had a great special teams tackle.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:24 pm

JMP wrote:But seriously…Mike McDaniel needs to call more running plays.  Dolphins running backs had 13 carries today.  Tua threw the ball 45 times.  I do not expect or want a 50-50 run-pass split, but it’s got to be more balanced than it is.  It worked out today - but you can’t live like that week to week.  Anyway…

This game if anything showed why the running game and RBs have never been more irrelevant in today's NFL. Against this same team in the same location last season the RBs had...15 carries. And essentially lost by 2 scores.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/202212110sdg.htm

It really was the Tua and Tyreek show on offense, but I have to mention huge plays made by River Cracraft, Braxton Berrios, Alec Ingold, Jaylen Waddle and Durham Smythe.  All made clutch plays and kept drives alive.  This is a dynamic group of receiving weapons, and Tua made use of them all today.  I also need to mention Erik Ezukanma, who had a long run on an end-around, and also made what may have been the turning point play of the game by drawing a pass interference on a deep ball at the end of the first half, setting up a Dolphins FG that would turn out to be crucial to the win.

I even saw this call on the ESPN highlights (that Chris Rose tried to pretend was the worst call ever for some reason) and didn't even realize that was Ezukanma! Good to see him already contributing more than he did all of last season, although that wasn't exactly a high bar to clear.

I was going to talk defense now, but since I mentioned the FG…Jason Sanders had a really good game for about 58 minutes -  and then he nearly blew it by missing the extra point on the game-winning TD, giving the Chargers a chance to win the game with a FG that fortunately never happened because Justin Herbert (and an attacking Dolphins D).

The GF was asking how they only won by 2 when I first saw the score which led to a discussion of all the ways that could happen and a mised extra point after a go-ahead TD was the last thing I thought of  Laughing

So, yeah, the defense.  For 58 minutes, this may have been the worst Dolphins defense I’ve seen since He-Who-Cannot-Be-Named was the defensive coordinator.  The run defense was so horrifically godawful bad that I cannot even begin to express it in words.  I was ready to grab my pitchfork and lead an angry mob to Vic Fangio’s house.  And then: the Chargers were forced to go into passing mode on their final drive, and Fangio unleashed the motherfucking hounds (sorry…more bad language).  The Miami pass rush, which had been MIA for the majority of the game (aside from a brilliantly-timed Kader Kohou blitz resulting in a sack in the first half), woke up with a vengeance.  There was a non-stop flurry of pressure from Zach Sieler, Christian Wilkins, Bradley Chubb and - here’s that word AGAIN - Jae Motherfucking Phillips.  Jae is a BEAST.  He found an extra gear on that final drive, and he attacked with a relentless fury.  Herbert was rattled and couldn’t do anything - except intentionally ground the ball and get sacked.  So, yeah, when all is said and done, I’m willing to put aside 58 minutes of atrocious defense and give Fangio props for getting the job done when it mattered.

How many times over how many years have we seen games where the exact oppsite happened? Give me a 36-34 win where the D makes the one stop that matters over a 16-13 loss in which they don't every day of the week and twice on Sunday!  cheers  cheers  cheers

One final note: the much-maligned offensive line that all the “experts” said would get destroyed by Bosa and Mack allowed a grand total of zero sacks today, with the fearsome pass-rushing duo combining for just 3 tackles.  Kendall Lamm had his awkward moments, Connor Williams can’t snap, and there was a weird LG platoon with Wynn and Eichenberg going in and out that I guess somehow worked, but overall the OL was great today.  Austin Jackson was downright fantastic.

Careful, you might injure your arm patting yourself on the back about the O-line  Razz (But seriously, don't do that because then we can't see any more Game Thoughts.) I have now officially turned on Armstead BTW. Screw him and his guaranteed to miss at least 4 games every season bum ass. Are we sure Joey wasn't the Bosa brother who held out this entire time?  Razz

Just so you know where my head was at, I absolutely 100% knew that Tua was going to lead the Phins to a TD to take the lead at the end - and of course, he did.  But when I saw how much time was on the clock, combined with the way the D had played all day, I absolutely 100% knew that we’d see overtime.  Then when Sanders missed the extra point, I absolutely 100% knew that we’d lose on a game-winning FG in regulation.  Yep, I lost faith.  But I lost my mind when the defense smothered Herbert and secured the victory!  I’ve had a lot of good moments as a Dolfan, but honestly, the last offensive and defensive series today made me as proud of this team as I can ever remember.  The heart, desire and will to win I saw today were inspiring.  Yeah, it’s the first game of a 17-game season.  But this really felt like a special, identity-defining victory.  Let’s hope it is a springboard for great things to come!

This is why I don't watch the games but only the replays and highlights afterwards, just way too stressful for my now suddenly old self  affraid

Hero of the Game: Tua and Tyreek.  Was there ever a doubt?  And my man Jae Phillips gets honorable mention - dude got to see his college team come from behind in an upset victory Saturday, and then he carried his NFL team to the same result the next day.  What a weekend!

A part of me is now afraid the NFL might suddenly decided to punish Tyreek after all  affraid Seriously.

Goat of the Game: Vic Fangio narrowly escaped this “honor”, so instead it goes to Connor Williams.  Either learn your job, or retire.  Enough is enough.

And just think...this bum actually threw a hissyfit wanting more money!!! Then again this is what happens when you have a GM who refuses to ever draft or sign an actual center for whatever reason.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:18 pm

I would love to see a more balanced offense if it works. If it isn't working go with what is. Tua was working. Teams game plan trying to exploit weaknesses. We executed our game plan. This team is dangerous on offense. If we protect Tua let's ke this weekly we will win 12 or more games.

CarsonChris

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:23 pm

CarsonChris wrote:I would love to see a more balanced offense if it works. If it isn't working go with what is. Tua was working. Teams game plan trying to exploit weaknesses. We executed our game plan. This team is dangerous on offense. If we protect Tua let's ke this weekly we will win 12 or more games.

I will say it's a bit frustrating knowing that this team has a back who could be a bit of a workhorse in Chris Brooks who McDaniel will keep refusing to use because he hates skill position players with size for some odd reason. Brooks is the guy who should've run more under the circumstances, especially seeing as pretty much every other RB was banged up or flat out inactive.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:06 pm

Another thing I loved is that the two most significant penalties of the game were both on the Chargers, and both were legit. No ref shenanigans as I feared. Just let the players commit penalties and call them when they happen. It would be nice if every game between every team was officiated like this...

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:54 am; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:12 pm

One more thing: last season a Fins player not named Hill or Waddle had 3-plus catches in a game just 22 times. Three such players did so this time. You love to see it cheers This offense HAS to be more than just Hill, Waddle and a bunch of dross.

https://stathead.com/tiny/0gfxE

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:25 am

Big W and the team made the plays when it mattered.
Mixed bag on both sides.
Enjoy the positives.
C and OL still needs improvement. Running game still non existent to control a game. D can not play sloppy for 58 minutes and then SHUT DOWN for 2. Still need game changing MLB.

I will always be a fan but I've been fooled t many times. Take it one game at time and enjoy the Ws.
JEGnj
JEGnj

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:58 am

Emmanuel Acho
@EmmanuelAcho

Tua Tagovailoa down by 4 with the game on the line:
5/7 71 yards and a touchdown.
———
Justin Herbert down by 2 with the game on the line:
Grounding
Sack
Short pass
Sack

GAME OVER.
————

DOLPHINS WIN!!!!

7:38 PM · Sep 10, 2023

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:01 am

JEGnj wrote:
Mixed bag on both sides.

Yep, and that's what makes me think that this team is different than what we've seen in the past. We didn't play a perfect game - at all - and still won on the road against a playoff contender, with both offense and defense combining to win the game at the end.  You just don't see wins like this too often from the Dolphins.  In years past, either the offense or defense - and maybe both - would have choked down the stretch and we would have lost.

I love that there is a lot of stuff to work on - because it tells me that if and when everything gets fixed, this team just might be special.

Last edited by JMP on Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:14 am

Rewatched some of the plays from the game, and some of those passes Tua made were simply elite. The 3rd down pass to Berrios and the 3rd down pass to Tyreek on that final drive were as good as any passes you'll ever see - and then the TD to Hill was just next-level. The ball placement on those throws was just absurd - really can't do it any better.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:32 am

Yes, this was an amazing season opening cross country road win. I am extremely pleased with the Dolphins pulling out a win in a game that, frankly, in years past they would’ve shit themselves at the end.

Tyreek is simply amazing. He is worth every penny and every bit of draft capital given up to get him. He played with an incredible amount of intensity and fire and has got to be the NFL Week 1 MVP. Tua was also excellent. Yes, the interception was bad, but sometimes those things happen when you take necessary risks. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. And Tua gained a lot. And really, all the WRs played a very good game.

And while yes, the things that need to be cleaned up will outnumber the things that went well, they do not outweigh them in this victory. However, they do need to be mentioned. The defense in general did not play particularly well. The run defense was non-existent and while Herbert’s numbers aren’t eyepopping, his 70% completion percentage is not indicative of an iron clad defense. Nor is giving up 60% 3rd down conversion rate, 80% redzone and 4 for 4 in goal to go. But again, and this can’t be said enough, when it mattered most on that final Chargers’ drive, the defense did what it needed to do – and with domination. That is not something we’ve been able to say very often in recent years.

No question about it, Tyreek gets the hero of game award. Tua obviously gets a more than honorable mention. Next honorable mention goes to Derrick Ansley, the Chargers’ DC. Despite being last year’s defensive backs coach in shutting the Dolphins’ offense down, Ansley came out with a gameplan that relied on single man press coverage against Tyreek Hill and did not adjust at any point in the game – INSANE. Third honorable mention goes to the yellow flags. As justified as those call were, without the pass interference at the end of the half leading to a field goal and the grounding on the final Chargers’ last gasp, I think we all know how this very well may have turned out. Also a shout out to an OLine that did not allow any sacks and only 2 QB hurries (did Bosa and Mack even play).

Goat of the game…yep, I’m gonna give it Connor Williams. Complain all you want about your pay (after one decent season), but then do not foul up two snaps – one of which directly took points off the board (most likely a TD that could’ve made this a more comfortable 9 point win). And then add a holding penalty erasing a first down EZ run. Dishonorable mention goes to Jason Sanders. You missed being the goat cause you did hit 3 for 3 FGs including from 45 and 41 (end of half momentum swinger), but DAMN – nearly gift wrapping the Chargers with a winning FG by missing an extra point is unacceptable. And I’m giving a light dishonorable mention to Christian Wilkins. Ok, maybe I’m picking on him too much and blaming him for the overall defensive struggles, but any DLinemen leader associated with giving up 234 yards and 17 first downs on the ground, isn’t doing his job. And anybody who wants to be among the highest paid DTs in the game has gotta give more than 3 tackles – only 1 of which was solo and none were for a loss – when a team runs as much as the LA did. Oh, and add that Wilkins produced zero sacks or QB pressures.

So yes, the defense needs to step it up for the full game. The Oline needs to run block better (but pass blocking was more than fine and perhaps only 20 rushing attempts is a too small sample size). The kicker needs to hit extra points. The center needs to snap the ball correctly (although the problem did not apparently continue throughout the game). But all those things got flushed down the toilet (at least for this game), by Tyreek on fire and Tua on target.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:27 am

mercury22nathan wrote:Goat of the game…yep, I’m gonna give it Connor Williams.  Complain all you want about your pay (after one decent season), but then do not foul up two snaps – one of which directly took points off the board (most likely a TD that could’ve made this a more comfortable 9 point win).  And then add a holding penalty erasing a first down EZ run.

I am starting to suspect that Williams is actually continuing his little hissyfit from 4 months ago. It would be such a millennial thing to do. I just find it impossible to believe that a professional NFL O-lineman who's already been a center for one season would be that awful at snapping if he was actually trying to do his job. If he does this again next time I will officially be convinced of it and at that point something will have to be done. If you recall I advocated trading his ass after he first pulled his selfish crap.

And I’m giving a light dishonorable mention to Christian Wilkins.  Ok, maybe I’m picking on him too much and blaming him for the overall defensive struggles, but any DLinemen leader associated with giving up 234 yards and 17 first downs on the ground, isn’t doing his job.  And anybody who wants to be among the highest paid DTs in the game has gotta give more than 3 tackles – only 1 of which was solo and none were for a loss – when a team runs as much as the LA did.  Oh, and add that Wilkins produced zero sacks or QB pressures.

I was WAITING for someone to point this out!!! And I am not surprised it was you who did. Not a good look for Mr. Wilkins and I know that he knows it. At 15:15 of the following video Wilkins does in fact get to Herbert--only after three other defenders already have. Even in his one moment of glory all game he was still a day late and a dollar short, as we say in the south.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:38 am

I will also say that this game has the same vibe to me as the Ravens and Bills wins early last season. For one thing in both games the D gave up more yards (and more points to the Ravens) but was at its best when the game was on the line. I do believe this D will be better as the season goes along since the coaching is better. My reputation's on the line a bit too, since I was advocating for Fangio last season.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:29 pm

Like I said yesterday the FG before the half was huge. So many times the Fin's would turn the ball over or just kneel out the clock. McD is a weird A-- F but the confidence and guts was huge for the team.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:32 pm

its almost comical how badly Charger nation is taking this loss. they feel they're already eliminated from the playoff hunt and are ready to fire Staley.

https://sports.yahoo.com/twitter-reacts-chargers-loss-horrible-010732087.html

i hate to say, but i'm pretty certain the Chargers will bounce back - and it would not surprise me if we have to see them again in the playoffs (yes, i used that word after 1 game) in another hard fought contest...albeit in Miami.

mercury22nathan wrote:Next honorable mention goes to Derrick Ansley, the Chargers’ DC.  Despite being last year’s defensive backs coach in shutting the Dolphins’ offense down, Ansley came out with a gameplan that relied on single man press coverage against Tyreek Hill and did not adjust at any point in the game – INSANE.

and maybe i didn't lay credit/blame on the right person. Chargers' fans seem to think this reeks (as in TYREEKS, boom!!) of a Staley gameplan and are imploring that play call duties be turned over to Ansley. i don't know enough about the Chargers to say one way or the other, but i am pretty sure both had a hand in the failure to adjust coverages against Hill.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:29 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:its almost comical how badly Charger nation is taking this loss.  they feel they're already eliminated from the playoff hunt and are ready to fire Staley.

i hate to say, but i'm pretty certain the Chargers will bounce back - and it would not surprise me if we have to see them again in the playoffs (yes, i used that word after 1 game) in another hard fought contest...albeit in Miami.

mercury22nathan wrote:Next honorable mention goes to Derrick Ansley, the Chargers’ DC.  Despite being last year’s defensive backs coach in shutting the Dolphins’ offense down, Ansley came out with a gameplan that relied on single man press coverage against Tyreek Hill and did not adjust at any point in the game – INSANE.

and maybe i didn't lay credit/blame on the right person.  Chargers' fans seem to think this reeks (as in TYREEKS, boom!!) of a Staley gameplan and are imploring that play call duties be turned over to Ansley.  i don't know enough about the Chargers to say one way or the other, but i am pretty sure both had a hand in the failure to adjust coverages against Hill.

I've heard that Chargers fans are screaming to trade Joey Bosa before the deadline...and wondering why it didn't happen in the offseason!

I think there's a real chance that the Chargers implode. Staley is an awful gameday coach - maybe the worst in the league. To me, he is the defensive version of Adam Gase. Gase was a fraudulent "offensive guru" who got a head coaching gig for no real reason, and then proceeded to prove that his offense sucked and he was a godawful head coach. Well, Staley was a fraudulent "defensive guru" who got a head coaching gig for no real reason, and then proceeded to prove that his defense sucked and he was a godawful head coach. I think he loses the team with a couple more losses where his defense gets shredded. I do not have them as a playoff team - and that was true even before yesterday's outcome.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:47 pm

Great post, merc!

mercury22nathan wrote:
So yes, the defense needs to step it up for the full game.  The Oline needs to run block better (but pass blocking was more than fine and perhaps only 20 rushing attempts is a too small sample size).  The kicker needs to hit extra points.  The center needs to snap the ball correctly (although the problem did not apparently continue throughout the game).  But all those things got flushed down the toilet (at least for this game), by Tyreek on fire and Tua on target.  

All of these negative things are a good thing, IMO. Because the last thing I want is for the Dolphins to peak early - start off playing great football early in the season, and then choke down the stretch. The fact that we can win a big game on the road playing like this bodes well for the future. Because if we can do this now, imagine what we can do when the offense cleans up it's mistakes and Fangio has the defense on track! I am convinced that better days are ahead.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:12 pm

The Chargers have scored 92 points in their last three games... And LOST all three of them!!

Something needs to change.

I do hope the Phins defense turns things around. The Phins, both offense and defense, looked very much like last season IMO. I know it must be hard to call a run when you have Tua playing like Bama-Tua, but the McD offense is so much more effective when the running game is working. McD is doing a great job of scheming to keep the defense honest too. Those tosses and jets to a receiver in motion are making it hard to just tee off on Tua. But I think getting the running game going would also work and get the Oline into rhythm.

Nothing gives an Oline more confidence than when they KNOW they can go out and beat the snot out of their opponent and run the ball down their throat!

Tyreek is already one tenth of the way to his goal of 2000 yards!!!

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:01 pm

finfanatic wrote:The Chargers have scored 92 points in their last three games... And LOST all three of them!!

Yes, and in those 3 games the Chargers scored just 31 points in the second half...you can't just score a lot and then coast. The other team gets paid to play, too. Yesterday was a great example: fantastic, you scored 34 points! Problem is, your opponent scored 36 - and they gave you the ball back with 1:40 on the clock, 2 timeouts remaining and needing just a FG to win. Big-time offenses score there. Hell, the Dolphins needed just 9 seconds to get into FG range at the end of the half. But Herbert's gonna Herbert...like Philip Rivers before him.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:33 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:its almost comical how badly Charger nation is taking this loss.  they feel they're already eliminated from the playoff hunt and are ready to fire Staley.

If Staley can't win the AFC West--more like the Least--with the Chiefs finally crashing to earth, a Sean Payton-Russell Wilson civil war on the horizon, and the Raiders being the Raiders, then Staley deserves to get fired. That division will be the worst in the NFL this season mark my words, but *somebody* has to win it. It won't mean that team's actually a title threat, they'll be closer to last season's Bucs. IMO the Chargers and Fins are actually in the same situation: anything less than a playoff win will result in Big Changes. BTW Staley would be the second Chargers coach fired on Herbert's watch but the media won't tell you that.

JMP wrote:I've heard that Chargers fans are screaming to trade Joey Bosa before the deadline...and wondering why it didn't happen in the offseason!

The "give the player anything he wants!" crowd will soon turn into complete hypocrites (as usual) and replace that sentiment with a massive backlash now that the games have begun and all those absurdly paid players they campaigned to have part ownership of their teams start performing like you and I would out there. You get paid game-changing money, you damn well better be a game changer every time out. I'm not talking 3 tackles per game but 3 sacks per game. That's what it would take to justify the obscene salary of those guys.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:51 pm

JMP wrote:All of these negative things are a good thing, IMO.  Because the last thing I want is for the Dolphins to peak early - start off playing great football early in the season, and then choke down the stretch.  The fact that we can win a big game on the road playing like this bodes well for the future.  Because if we can do this now, imagine what we can do when the offense cleans up it's mistakes and Fangio has the defense on track!  I am convinced that better days are ahead.

Remember last season when they peaked after ten and a half games? It was hard even for me, the Potentate Of Pessimism, to imagine they'd lose 5 straight after outscoring the Browns and Texans by a combined 69-17 in six quarters. I also never thought I'd be glad the schedule increased to 17 games but I'll be doggoned if that was the only thing preventing this team from a repeat of the Great '93 Implosion Shocked affraid

JMP wrote:Yes, and in those 3 games the Chargers scored just 31 points in the second half...you can't just score a lot and then coast. The other team gets paid to play, too.  Yesterday was a great example: fantastic, you scored 34 points!  Problem is, your opponent scored 36 - and they gave you the ball back with 1:40 on the clock, 2 timeouts remaining and needing just a FG to win.  Big-time offenses score there.  Hell, the Dolphins needed just 9 seconds to get into FG range at the end of the half.  But Herbert's gonna Herbert...like Philip Rivers before him.

I might star calling you The Hammer because you've been NAILING it today! cheers The table was set perfectly for Herbert or any so-called franchise QB to win and instead he...ended up spilling his plate and drink all over it! Still my favorite part of the game Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil And yes, that's why IMO Rivers doesn't belong in the Hall Of Fame. At least when Fouts was compiling big numbers it wasn't the norm and until Marino came along he was far and away the top stat QB.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:39 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Not a good look for Mr. Wilkins and I know that he knows it.

at least he is now saying the "right" things.

Christian Wilkins on the subpar defensive performance: “We all know that wasn’t our standard. We have to play better defense and it starts with me as a leader of the defense. We will be better -- no ifs, ands or buts about it.”

Is there an adjustment in transitioning to a new coordinator that calls games much differently? “Naturally, there’s obviously a little bit of adjusting but that’s no excuse,” Wilkins said. “We are all professionals and have to do our job. If it’s a good play called, we have to execute. If it’s a bad play called, we have to execute.”

Wilkins, on the run defense, which allowed 234 yards on 5.9 yards per carry: “We have to be better techniques, fundamentals and executing the plays that are called.”

Wilkins said “there were a lot of areas we weren’t great at. I was excited we got the win and the offense had our backs.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article278705099.html

now he just needs to go out and let his play speak for itself.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next