The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the history of Phins posting and my feeble mind

+5
DolFan 316
JMP
HalCHorn
finfanatic
mercury22nathan
9 posters

Go down

the history of Phins posting and my feeble mind Empty the history of Phins posting and my feeble mind

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:27 pm

can anyone help and put dates and forum names in my memory?

i was thinking the other day that i've been posting with some of you for a pretty long time (gotta be 20 years perhaps more). i remember a phins-dot-come run a by a guy names Curtis (?), but it was more of headline posts and less discussion. i remember a site run by a police officer in Oklahoma (?), maybe JL was the name (?). what years was that and what was it called? i think this is where i met most of you.

then i believe there was a site administered by a guy named Silver (?) who fancied himself some sort of "inside" reporter but he had little tolerance for dissenting views (and was kind of an ass). name and years? (finsnation?)

i believe this current version was created by JMP in response to the tumult with this Silver (?) guy. what year was that? i remember i kept going to the old site but no one was posting anymore. i had no idea what was going on. and then one day someone referenced that everybody left and i sent a private message asking for details. it was then i was given a link and found all my Dolphins friends again.

i didn't dream all this did i? can anyone help and old man remember? (somehow i bet DF316 has all the answers)

mercury22nathan

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

the history of Phins posting and my feeble mind Empty Re: the history of Phins posting and my feeble mind

Post by finfanatic Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:49 pm

merc wrote:i didn't dream all this did i? can anyone help and old man remember? (somehow i bet DF316 has all the answers)

DF316 can probably tell you for sure!

I think most of us came here from some board where the @#$% moderators ganged up and would treat you like shiite but then if you pointed out their faults, they would threaten to ban you. Chickenshiite bazterds!

I met DF316 back on the old TSN board where we waged posting war with the other AFC East keyboard warriors. Some of that stuff got downright nasty.

I'm old(er) now and don't take this anonymous football message board stuff as seriously as I used to.

finfanatic
finfanatic

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

the history of Phins posting and my feeble mind Empty Re: the history of Phins posting and my feeble mind

Post by HalCHorn Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:04 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:  i remember a site run by a police officer in Oklahoma (?), maybe JL was the name (?).  what years was that and what was it called?  i think this is where i met most of you.

Yes, James was a policeman in OKC who ran a site (I wrote several articles for it in my pre blog days) in the early 00's, through around 2005/2006 or so. Fin Forum I believe....

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:28 pm

Curt Fennel's site was Phins.com. It still exists but I'm not sure if he is still involved. Curt's a great guy - I met him at Marino's HoF enshrinement - along with James aka JL, who ran the site that predated this one (Fin Forum, Fin Nation? I can't remember.) JL was a great guy as well, but that website started getting too strict with what people were allowed to say, and I started to feel like I was walking on eggshells any time I posted. I think JL was hoping for it to become a really popular site and didn't want people getting too negative, but in the end it imploded.

Long story short, Degarmo got a raw deal from that site - I think he was going to assume a larger role on the site and basically got shafted. I'm sure 316 remembers the details. Degarmo and I talked about starting another site, and I ended up starting this ultra-simple, free site where people can be themselves without fear of reprisal from an omnipotent admin. It started up in April of 2015. It's small, but you can say whatever the fuck you want and no one gets banned.

Our resident historian 316 can no doubt fill in the blanks.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:47 pm

(Sighs.) The things I do for you guys...

I actually started out on phins.com in '98 but quickly moved over to TSN. Then the whole JetsY2K fiasco happened (I REFUSE to get into THAT again) which ended when I posted some e-mails that led to a chain reaction that effectively ended the TSN forums.

Then we migrated to the site FF remembers but for obvious reasons that didn't last long. Then came JL's site. At some point I said some derogatory things about his precious OU Sooners and he took it personally even though I had no idea he was even a fan at the time (to be fair it wouldn't have mattered to me anyway) and hated me ever since.

The he sold the site to Osmo (who had aspirations of being an MMA fighter) who appointed AdamSilver as his stooge mod, and who none of us liked as I recall. Probably because he was a two-faced weasel. Osmo had another henchman mod whose name I can't remember right now, but who at least tried to get along with us.

Degarmo came on board during the infamous Fins-Colts MNF game of '09, the one in which the Fins held the ball over 3/4 of the game and somehow lost anyway. Then at some point FFM and a couple of other members decided to personally betray me for reasons I'll likely never know and banded together with JL and the ones who already hated me to permaban me. I did manage to stumble across the Youtube channel of Stu Pace and patch things up with him BTW. Degarmo REALLY didn't like that, and bought the forum so I could get back on and those guys didn't like THAT and tried to stage a revolt, at which point Degarmo (and Jmp apparently) said screw it and started...this place. And what do you know, I haven't had any friction or trouble or drama with any posters since. Go figure.

I have no idea what happened to everyone else, and TBH I don't care. I'm not holding a grudge mind you, but I also wouldn't be unhappy if they never showed up in my life again. Maybe they have their own private forum somewhere. I know that JL had beef with Osmo after selling the site to him.

And yes, I was pretty much the cause of all this. In a weird, twisted way I'm actually kinda proud of that Cool

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:34 am

thanks guys. that helps to fill in some of the gaps. i was never even aware of most of the drama, but i did notice some of the tension at times (although i never knew the cause behind it).

i do remember thinking that Silver guy was an ass and acting like he knew more than anyone else. i think i made some comments about the failures of the offensive line he told me i was wrong and that HE knew what was really going on with the team. i have no problem with people disagreeing with me, but in the end its all just our opinions - and we're all just posters to a board. when i told him just exactly that, he tried to low-key threaten me with the, "you do know i'm a mod and can have you banned" kind of thing. i pretty much ignored him from that point forward.

i do recall the actual Dolphins team was getting more and more involved in generating interest on the internet and promoting fan sites. i guess these previous guys were hoping their message board would get recognized and so they tried to tamp down on the criticism of the team contrary to the reality of a disappointing team and the free flow of opinions.

DF, sorry to hear FFM did something to stab you in the back - if i recall, he was one of the more active, involved posters. funny how i never met any of these guys (or any of you, yet), but i remember seeing their monikers on the screen. FFM, JL, Osmo, Stu... who were some of the more active ones... wasn't there a NYFcat or KillerSith? for some reason some of these names stuck with me. there was also a guy in Baltimore who i was gonna meet up at one of the games, but we never made it happen.

ah, nostalgia.

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:49 am

mercury22nathan wrote:wasn't there a NYFcat or KillerSith?  for some reason some of these names stuck with me.  there was also a guy in Baltimore who i was gonna meet up at one of the games, but we never made it happen.

ah, nostalgia.

NYF moved on to other things and missed pretty much all the worst drama. I got back in touch with him via Youtube 2 years ago before he abruptly left the channel right after the Chargers loss. Killah Sith actually has appeared here now and then. We used to e-mail back and forth regularly but that was ages ago.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:19 am

Damn, I forgot all about Adam Silver. My mind probably strategically blocked him! LOL

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:08 am

Who was the Phins poster who was an OSU buckeyes fan and thought all the talk about the SEC being so good was poppycock?

He was always a good poster I thought.
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:22 am

finfanatic wrote:Who was the Phins poster who was an OSU buckeyes fan and thought all the talk about the SEC being so good was poppycock?

Are you talking about Birdmond? scratch

He migrated over here for a time and then became unhappy and left for reasons I don't quite understand.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:57 pm

I had Dolphin's Digest and was on their MB and JL was pimping JL's Fin Forum daily and I joined. Oh I remember all the drama once JL brought in outsiders and kept merging.
Stu Pace who did the YouTube channel is 61.
Not sure is it was Osmo or Adam Silver days but their side hated our side yet they tried to merge and take over us. I don't remember who the D bag was when me and 316 got banned but I threaten to fly out west and hunt him down and beat his ass. I don't remember what the final straw was but I remember a few of us got the PM or Email JMP was going to start this site just for those who wanted out and away from that drama.
I don't post as much as others but I can't remember any BS on this site since it started.
JEGnj
JEGnj

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:47 pm

JEGnj wrote:I had Dolphin's Digest and was on their MB and JL was pimping JL's Fin Forum daily and I joined. Oh I remember all the drama once JL brought in outsiders and kept merging.
Stu Pace who did the YouTube channel is 61.

Wait...WHAAAT?!?! Shocked Shocked Shocked That's him for real??? No wonder he's been so quiet since this thread was created pale Now I feel bad for possibly driving him away before he even got started Crying or Very sad

Not sure is it was Osmo or Adam Silver days but their side hated our side yet they tried to merge and take over us.

That story seems oddly familiar somehow. Almost like all of society is currently doing the same thing, hmmmm scratch

I don't remember who the D bag was when me and 316 got banned but I threaten to fly out west and hunt him down and beat his ass.

That is SO you Laughing Seriously, I can picture you doing that! Good thing you aren't doing that sort of thing NOW though. With an actual cop around I'm amazed you did it THEN.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:16 pm

316 I can't remember who it was. He was a totally JO and kept picking and pushing. I'm thinking something with Chinese or frogs maybe. I actually challenged him and said I was going to fly out to find him and beat his ass. I got banned for a little while and I think we had another split and some of us went one way and they went another.
JEGnj
JEGnj

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:52 am

Birdmond is the name.

Thanks.
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:59 am

I have been following 316 and others since the KFFL Days. Birdmond and I are the Ohio State Fans but he Left and is on Finheaven. FFM left because he was joining the Ministry and was leaving Sports behind Him. Love this Site because We can say what is on our Mind and not have someone trying to sensor or Ban us.

finskev

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:07 am

finskev wrote:FFM left because he was joining the Ministry and was leaving Sports behind Him.

I know who you're talking about and that wasn't FFM. I wish I remembered who it was because I respected the hell out of his decision at the time and TBH I wish I could just up and do that myself.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:41 pm

I started posting with you guys in 2006. I got injured on the job and found the internet. Been here ever since.

CarsonChris

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:58 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
finfanatic wrote:Who was the Phins poster who was an OSU buckeyes fan and thought all the talk about the SEC being so good was poppycock?

Are you talking about Birdmond? scratch

He migrated over here for a time and then became unhappy and left for reasons I don't quite understand.

Birdmond is now a fairly regular poster at Finheaven.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 and finskev like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:32 pm

JMP wrote:Damn, I forgot all about Adam Silver.  My mind probably strategically blocked him!  LOL

Isnt he the reason we bounced?
Umix10
Umix10

JMP, DolFan 316 and finskev like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:56 am

Umix10 wrote:
JMP wrote:Damn, I forgot all about Adam Silver.  My mind probably strategically blocked him!  LOL

Isnt he the reason we bounced?

As I think back, I think he may have been one of the major reasons, for sure.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down