The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do all these numbers mean?

+4
finfanatic
JMP
white1
mercury22nathan
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What do all these numbers mean? - Page 2 Empty Re: What do all these numbers mean?

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:47 am

mercury22nathan wrote:Hunt. i really like Hunt (and always have), but what is it going to take to keep him? the 2023 top 3 paid OG:

Chris Lindstrom, Atlanta Falcons: $20.5 million (5 years, $102.5 million)
Quenton Nelson, Indianapolis Colts: $20 million (4 years, $80 million)
Elgton Jenkins, Green Bay Packers: $17 million (4 years, $68 million)

and a case can be made that Hunt is just as good or better than all of them. but even if he was willing to take a deal that put him in this pack ($20Mish per year), can the Dolphins afford that - and more importantly, is that the best use of salary cap resources?

JMP wrote:I don't view Hunt as one of the league's top guards, though I like him a lot.  No All Pros, no Pro Bowls, coming off an injury-plagued season.  I'm thinking he's more in the $8 - 10 million per year range, honestly.

not raising this to be a dick and show just how wrong you were (yes i am lol! ), but remember when i cautioned you not to really to heavily on the "sportrac" numbers.

despite the fact whether Miami should've paid it are not, i think it was fairly obvious (at least to me) that Hunt was gonna get $20M per year.

mercury22nathan

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

What do all these numbers mean? - Page 2 Empty Re: What do all these numbers mean?

Post by JMP Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:53 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
mercury22nathan wrote:Hunt. i really like Hunt (and always have), but what is it going to take to keep him? the 2023 top 3 paid OG:

Chris Lindstrom, Atlanta Falcons: $20.5 million (5 years, $102.5 million)
Quenton Nelson, Indianapolis Colts: $20 million (4 years, $80 million)
Elgton Jenkins, Green Bay Packers: $17 million (4 years, $68 million)

and a case can be made that Hunt is just as good or better than all of them. but even if he was willing to take a deal that put him in this pack ($20Mish per year), can the Dolphins afford that - and more importantly, is that the best use of salary cap resources?

JMP wrote:I don't view Hunt as one of the league's top guards, though I like him a lot.  No All Pros, no Pro Bowls, coming off an injury-plagued season.  I'm thinking he's more in the $8 - 10 million per year range, honestly.

not raising this to be a dick and show just how wrong you were (yes i am  lol!  ), but remember when i cautioned you not to really to heavily on the "sportrac" numbers.

despite the fact whether Miami should've paid it are not, i think it was fairly obvious (at least to me) that Hunt was gonna get $20M per year.

Congrats, dude! You win! LOL Razz

Maybe you can also dig up the post where I said that if Hunt was going to get $15+ million, he'd be playing for a team other than the Dolphins?

All fine by me - I would never want to pay a guard $20 million a year. Cool

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:29 pm

Who signed Hunt? The Panthers.

They do dumb things like push for the wrong QB, then they fire the coach when the QB fails - and the one he wanted (Stroud) plays lights out.

Now they're paying Hunt like he's the best guard in the league.

I am paying both tackles and a center before I even think about paying top dollar for either guard spot.

Adam Gase was right philosophically about Guard. You can't get away with saying things like that when your offensive line sucks, though. Our line played very well last season, and was effective until the plague of injuries hit.
white1
white1

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:41 pm

white1 wrote:Who signed Hunt? The Panthers.  

They do dumb things like push for the wrong QB, then they fire the coach when the QB fails - and the one he wanted (Stroud) plays lights out.  

Now they're paying Hunt like he's the best guard in the league.  

I am paying both tackles and a center before I even think about paying top dollar for either guard spot.  

Adam Gase was right philosophically about Guard.  You can't get away with saying things like that when your offensive line sucks, though.  Our line played very well last season, and was effective until the plague of injuries hit.

Exactly.

The moral of the story is: never underestimate the stupidity of bad teams in free agency - they will ALWAYS overpay with ridiculous contracts! LOL

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:40 pm

JMP wrote:The moral of the story is: never underestimate the stupidity of bad teams in free agency - they will ALWAYS overpay with ridiculous contracts!  LOL

and this is exactly what i was trying to get you to understand when you were stuck on the fact that Hunt would only get $8-$10M per year.

mercury22nathan wrote:all it takes is one team to want to offer Hunt more than Miami is willing (or can) and then all it takes is two teams to try to outbid each other. and right now, there are plenty of teams that have tons of 2024 salary cap space even before cuts and extensions (i don't think Spotrac takes any of this into account like most sites do).

i will give you credit in that you agreed that Miami shouldn't pay that amount, but unfortunately, that $20M was the amount that was needed to get it done.

JMP wrote:Spotrac was right in the neighborhood for Jackson - they had 10, he got 12. I expect something similar for Hunt - they have 8, I think maybe he gets 10.

Regardless, we'll know soon enough. But like I said, if Hunt plans on getting $15-20 million a year, he'll be playing for a different team next season. The Dolphins won't - and shouldn't - pay him that much money.

the moral of the story is don't really too heavily on Spotrac for realistic FA dollars - there's a lot they don't take into account.

and i appreciate the capitulation, but this wasn't about winning - it was about having a discussion of what Miami realistically could do or couldn't do (not necessarily what they should do) given what the FA market would dictate. and again, none of this is a criticism of you. i love posting with you and you often have awesome insight (but not on this one Razz ). its just that i think sometimes you get so entrenched in your aqua and orange defensive cave that you might lose track with the realities of the state of the franchise. like when you think this FA period is going great... YES, I'M TRYING TO GET UNDER YOUR SKIN. all in good fun don't take it too seriously - you're a fan and that is what its all about. i'm just a realist. hahahaha.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:22 pm

I don't really care if I misjudged the value of a guard - I'm just glad the Dolphins didn't hand out that absurd contract!

I love what the Dolphins are doing so far, even if I do hate losing Wilkins and AVG, and if I'm the only one on the planet that thinks so, fine with me. I have no problem standing alone. I judge players by how they fit, and if my opinion ends up being wrong I really don't care. I call it like I see it, as I always have. If I think a player sucks or is miscast, I'll say it. But ultimately I'm OK not being right about the "realities of the franchise", whatever that condescending line of crap is supposed to mean. It's all good. If it means that much to you to be correct about a salary projection, you keep doing you.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:27 pm

I'm just glad Merc's helping me out, because I freely admit I can't turn Jmp to the dark side on my own Laughing

BTW I'm the one who keeps saying player salary demands will always exceed cap growth no matter how large it is. Just sayin'. Cool

White1 had a good point about the Panthers and I was thinking exactly the same thing when Hunt signed there of all places TBH. They were likely the ONLY team willing to give him north of $20 mil per season but in FA all it takes is one sucker, unfortunately.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:39 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:

BTW I'm the one who keeps saying player salary demands will always exceed cap growth no matter how large it is. Just sayin'. Cool

White1 had a good point about the Panthers and I was thinking exactly the same thing when Hunt signed there of all places TBH. They were likely the ONLY team willing to give him north of $20 mil per season but in FA all it takes is one sucker, unfortunately.

Yep - all true!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2