The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Free agent news - Dolphins and general NFL

+6
Umix10
finfanatic
white1
DolFan 316
mercury22nathan
JMP
10 posters

Page 14 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

Free agent news - Dolphins and general NFL - Page 14 Empty Re: Free agent news - Dolphins and general NFL

Post by 61finfan Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:57 pm

Iggu going to Washington.

61finfan

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Free agent news - Dolphins and general NFL - Page 14 Empty Re: Free agent news - Dolphins and general NFL

Post by JMP Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:57 am

61finfan wrote:I am a little puzzled as to why we really haven’t addressed O line as of yet.

Yep, it does seem strange that we haven't added at least one guard. I wouldn't mind taking a look at Dalton Risner. Laken Tomlinson is also worth a look...I suspect his drop in play was due to being on a godawful Jets team.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:21 am

JMP wrote:Yep, it does seem strange that we haven't added at least one guard.  I wouldn't mind taking a look at Dalton Risner.

Remember, Risner apparently hates Butch Barry and never wants to play for him again so that's not an option.

Laken Tomlinson is also worth a look...I suspect his drop in play was due to being on a godawful Jets team.

Nope, he's washed. Would rather just get one in the draft and besides, this team is now dead last in cap space and really can't afford to sign anybody else if they want to also sign their rookies before June 1. Or I suppose they could just wait for Howard's $18 mil of cap relief to kick in and do it then, in which case they could only afford to sign one, maybe two more guys really cheap.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:26 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:Yep, it does seem strange that we haven't added at least one guard.  I wouldn't mind taking a look at Dalton Risner.

Remember, Risner apparently hates Butch Barry and never wants to play for him again so that's not an option.

Laken Tomlinson is also worth a look...I suspect his drop in play was due to being on a godawful Jets team.

Nope, he's washed. Would rather just get one in the draft and besides, this team is now dead last in cap space and really can't afford to sign anybody else if they want to also sign their rookies before June 1. Or I suppose they could just wait for Howard's $18 mil of cap relief to kick in and do it then, in which case they could only afford to sign one, maybe two more guys really cheap.

I don't know how true the "Risner hates Barry" rumor is. I suspect it's BS.

Tomlinson may be done - but he was still very good/great in his final year with the Niners, who of course have a similar offense to Miami. I'd be fine taking a one-year flyer on him.

The Phins have not touched Hill or Chubb's contract yet, so there is potential to add lots of cap space if/when needed. Cap space is not an issue.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:12 pm

Twitter reports that Isaih Wynn has agreed to return on a 1 year deal.

My revised oline:
- LT Armstead
- LG Wynn
- C Brewer
- RG Eich, Jones or Cotton
- RT Jackson
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:16 pm

white1 wrote:Twitter reports that Isaih Wynn has agreed to return on a 1 year deal.

My revised oline:
- LT Armstead
- LG Wynn
- C Brewer
- RT Jackson

Yup, definitely need to draft an interior O-lineman. I'd make it two just to be on the safe side. If Grier thinks THAT interior O-line's good enough to win a title with then he needs to be fired roughly nowish. And then set ON fire.

I *really* don't see how they'll have the cap room to sign anyone else NOW...

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:56 pm

Plug Fautanu in at RG and that might be a good Oline. Plus, he could be the swing OT too.

For those times when Armstead is out, Fautanu plays LT and Eich comes in at RG. I'd prefer someone else, but... Unless the Phins hit on a late round Olienman that surprises like say Trey Smith for the Chiefs did, I suspect the Phins will use Eich as a backup at least.

But again, how often does Wynn get through a whole season without being nicked. And he is coming off an injury.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:50 pm

Phins signed OL Jack Driscoll from the Eagles. He was the Eagles 6th lineman and plays G and T. 17 starts in 4 years. 6'5", 312 pounds.

I don't know much about him, but the Eagles have an excellent OL coach and if he let this guy hang around for 4 years I assume there's something worthwhile there. Best case, he wins the RG job. Worst case, we added an experienced depth piece.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:53 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:

I *really* don't see how they'll have the cap room to sign anyone else NOW...

They can still work with Hill and Chubb to restructure, which can create a lot of cap space if/when they need it. Also, if Tua signs a new deal that will free up a lot of space as well.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:06 pm

white1 wrote:Twitter reports that Isaih Wynn has agreed to return on a 1 year deal.

My revised oline:
- LT Armstead
- LG Wynn
- C Brewer
- RT Jackson

Add Jack Driscoll to the mix at RG. That should be an interesting battle this offseason.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:48 pm

These moves only reinforce what I've been thinking.

Instead of paying Hunt $20 million, we added much, much cheaper role players to fill interior spots. No, they are not going to be Hunt when it comes to performance. But how much dropoff will there be and how much is that worth?

These are the calculations the front office is making across the board...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:01 pm

I am skeptical.

I think that they did what was neccessary to field a team for sure. The determining factor is them actually playing meaningful football. Like getting in games.

These are a buch of low key signings that depend on "UPSIDE". As everything is dependant on upside. I dont agree or disagree! The cap situation is just too hard for any team to really put a sustainable product on the field. I suspect we have another year of this to really start building a sustainable future. What we do with Hill, Chubb and Ramsey next year is just as improtant. Because we still havent paid Tua.

We haven't paid Waddle

We haven't paid Phillips

We haven't paid Holland either.

I do believe that these moves actually set them up for better situations when their money comes due.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:30 am

I can look at this one of two ways.

1. Grier and McDaniel have finally learned to what degree the NFL is a team sport and also that there's far more attrition than they had previously thought, and therefore have not only realized that even if a "star" is making upwards of $20 mil a year he's still just one player who's just as subject to injury at any time as any other player making a fraction of that, and thus it's far more efficient to have 4-5 JAGs for the price of one "star" since that star is useless if he can't actually play.

2. OR...Grier is simply having to settle for bringing in table scraps due to his cap mismanagement and bad drafting, and as soon as he gets the chance will do the 21st century doubling down thing and make the exact same mistakes for the exact same reason.

IMO there have actually been *too* many players signed, and at least 5 of them won't even be making the final roster. Remember, 4 players from a far less numerous FA crop last offseason failed to make the active opening day roster (Robbie Chosen Anderson was initially placed on the practice squad, then called up, then cut again, then signed back to the practice squad before being called up again.) Grier seems to be throwing stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks. I'll admit that it is smart to take this approach to *some* degree (a team with no players worth paying $20 mil a year would be going too far the other way and result in a 2019-quality roster) but I'm still not sure how much credit Grier deserves for this. And he hasn't done the draft yet which has been a bit of a problem for him as well.

I will also note that since the '70s the number of true star/impact players on even the best teams has increasingly decreased over time to the point where even the cream of the crop squads only have 3-4 of them now. How many Chiefs players other than Mahomes, Kelce and Jones can you guys name off the top of your heads? Besides Allen and Diggs, how many elite players did the Bills have last season? Etc.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:05 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Grier seems to be throwing stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks.

I couldn't disagree more. All the players they have added are clearly calculated moves to address positions of need. None of these were random "let's see what happens" signings. These are players that they expect to fit the schemes and they expect to get production from. The other thing these moves have done is provide competition, specifically at OL, DL and DB. Sure, one or two of the new guys might get cut - but that's a good thing: it means someone better took their spot. Finally, these signings will allow the Dolphins to focus on BPA in the draft, and not have to reach for a position of need. All in all, I'd say it's a brilliant strategy - and combined with stockpiling draft picks and having more cap space in the coming years, I think this offseason sets up the Dolphins for the future.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:02 am

Speaking of cap mismanagement, just take a peek at Deshaun Watson's cap hit this season and the next couple affraid affraid affraid

https://overthecap.com/player/deshaun-watson/5596

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:34 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Speaking of cap mismanagement, just take a peek at Deshaun Watson's cap hit this season and the next couple affraid affraid affraid

https://overthecap.com/player/deshaun-watson/5596

That's just ridiculous at an unbelievable level. And because the entire contract was guaranteed ($230 million), it's basically impossible to cut or trade him for a few years - they are stuck with him. I still can't imagine what was going through their minds when they did that deal. Completely bonkers.

If there has ever been a worse contract given out in the 4 major US sports, I haven't seen it. (Although the Mets deferred contract with Bobby Bonilla is right up there...his career ended in 2001 yet they still have to pay him $1.19 million every July 1 till 2035!!!)

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:13 am

There were reports early in free agency that WR Mike Williams was signing with the Chiefs. That never actually happened, and he has now signed a 1-year deal with the Jets.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:04 pm

Twitter reporting two things tonight:

- Cracraft is coming back to Miami. No contract details yet.

- Odell Beckham is visiting Miami tomorrow. I’ll just leave it at that don’t want to color any reactions
white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:24 am

Beckham in Miami??

Hmm?

He is good, but he didn't seem to do much for the Ravens, so...

finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:26 am

I would actually be good with Beckham - he would be our 3/4 target (I'm forecasting Jonnu Smith getting a good number of targets).

In a supporting role he's good. Can't expect him to be the rookie version that lit the league up.
white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:44 am

white1 wrote:I would actually be good with Beckham - he would be our 3/4 target (I'm forecasting Jonnu Smith getting a good number of targets).

In a supporting role he's good.  Can't expect him to be the rookie version that lit the league up.

Completely agree. As the #3 receiver, OBJ would be a massive upgrade over Ced Wilson. And off the field, by all accounts OBJ was a role model in Baltimore, and I think he'd have a positive impact on Waddle.

One thing I heard a lot last season was that OBJ was open a lot - and Lamar just couldn't get the ball to him. Tua will not have that issue.

As long as the price is right, I'm totally on board.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:57 am

Thinking more about Beckham - this, along with the signing of Jonnu Smith, really seems like an attempt to improve the third down offense. Third down efficiency was an area of concern last season, with the Dolphins finishing a pretty mediocre #12 overall in conversion rate on the season - and #25 over the last 3 games. Adding two guys that can get open and get YAC would certainly help.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:47 pm

If we don't sign OBJ, DJ Chark is another possibility at WR. I didn't even realize he was a free agent. Good size and speed. Could be a nice #3 receiver at a cheap price.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:33 pm

I think OBJ is not the same physically but one thing that doesnt change with age is his hands. He has the best hands I have ever seen. He might not be physically gifted as he once was but gotta admit that the dude has hands.

Maybe the goaline fades that McDaniel loves to run.
Umix10
Umix10

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:45 pm

Barry Jackson
@flasportsbuzz

Per team source, the Dolphins' meeting with Odell Beckham Jr. went well today. Team pleased how meeting went. Miami hopes to sign him. We'll see if they agree on a price.

4:39 PM · Mar 21, 2024

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next