The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Free agent news - Dolphins and general NFL

+6
Umix10
finfanatic
white1
DolFan 316
mercury22nathan
JMP
10 posters

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

Go down

Free agent news - Dolphins and general NFL - Page 15 Empty Re: Free agent news - Dolphins and general NFL

Post by JMP Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:46 pm

Umix10 wrote:I think OBJ is not the same physically but one thing that doesnt change with age is his hands.  He has the best hands I have ever seen.  He might not be physically gifted as he once was but gotta admit that the dude has hands.

Maybe the goaline fades that McDaniel loves to run.

Yep, OBJ doesn't have the speed anymore - but he can still get open and still has excellent hands. Third down and red zone weapon for sure.

And, for the love of God, ban the goal line fade!!! Mad Evil or Very Mad

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Free agent news - Dolphins and general NFL - Page 15 Empty Re: Free agent news - Dolphins and general NFL

Post by Umix10 Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:14 am

OBJ could make up a lot.

I would love to see him on this team more than Thomas.  

Thomas is more injury prone than Tua
Umix10
Umix10

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:00 am

while i would prefer to get some size in the Phins receiver room, i think that can be found in the draft. and yes, i think Miami should still draft another young WR even if they sign OBJ. but i am surprisingly (to myself) supportive of potentially signing OBJ. i think his veteran presence and ability to still get wide open (separation) would help tremendously. last season, once Tua didn't have Tyreek and/or Waddle open, no one else stepped up.

McDaniel really, really want OBJ, but despite the meeting going very well from a football standpoint, Grier can't/won't pay him what he's worth...

The question is whether they can see eye to eye on what he should be paid. The sides have discussed financial terms but no agreement had been reached as of late afternoon Thursday.

Another prominent free agent receiver who spoke with the Dolphins said he was left with the impression that Miami doesn’t want to spend a lot at that position, even though one important person in the Dolphins hierarchy would like to add a highly skilled No. 3 receiver and loves Beckham.

Beckham’s career body of work warrants a contract worth more than chump change. Whether the sides can agree on a salary that satisfies both parties will determine where this goes from here. Discussions are expected to continue.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article286743565.html

not sure where this will go, but it would be nice to have OBJ in aqua and orange.

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:58 am

Realistically, we're talking about a guy that will have less than 40 catches in this offense - maybe a lot less. I hope Grier sticks to his guns. No reason to overpay a #3 WR at the back-end of his career. I do want OBJ in Miami, but only at the right price.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:04 am

Agree. It's insane the Ravens paid him $15 million last season for what they got in return...
white1
white1

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:57 pm

So the Chiefs gave away L’Jarius Sneed to the Titans for almost nothing: a 3rd in 2025, and a swap of 7ths in 2024. Sneed will sign a four-year, $76 million deal with the Titans. Smart by the Chiefs to not pay that money, but I thought they'd get more than a 3rd. Odd trade for the Titans, because that team looks awful on paper and I don't think a corner is going to move the needle.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:33 am

No, the Chiefs got SOMETHING for Sneed. It is the Dolphins who got absolutely nothing for Wilkiins or Hunt or AVG, because the cap was a mess and they could not afford to tag any of them.

Heck, even getting a sixth or a seventh rounder is better than getting ZIP IMO.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:57 pm

finfanatic wrote:No, the Chiefs got SOMETHING for Sneed.  It is the Dolphins who got absolutely nothing for Wilkiins or Hunt or AVG, because the cap was a mess and they could not afford to tag any of them.

Heck, even getting a sixth or a seventh rounder is better than getting ZIP IMO.

The Dolphins will be getting the same compensation as the Chiefs: 3rd rounders in 2025 for both Wilkins and Hunt.  Yes, the comp picks are later in the round, but they still take place on day 2. That's why I said the Chiefs got "almost nothing" - they would have gotten the same compensation (a 3rd) if they let him walk.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:19 pm

Snead was a good topic of discussion on the Herd.

Here is what is working in the Chiefs favor:

- Sneed was a 4th round pick. Getting a 3+7 is actually an increase in value.
- While Sneed was playing on his rookie deal, they won 2 Superbowls.
- His replacement is already on the roster. I don't remember the guy's name, but he will start this season in Sneed's spot.

They draft well. They have Mahomes, Reid and Spagnolu. Long story short, they didn't want the drama of forcing a player to play on the tag - and they chose not to, because well, they can.

It's an envious position to be in. We can laugh all we want. They are pointing to the trophy case.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:32 am

W1 wrote:They draft well.

That says it all, W1.

Simply getting players that actually contribute with your picks is a major accomplishment and opens up a slew of possibilities for a team.

The fact is the Phins have not drafted well and even when they do, the personnel policy the GM has followed makes it impossible to keep the talent they do discover in the draft.

JMP keeps pointing to Grier's draft hits and they are all (mostly) either 1st or 2nd rounders? Heck, even DF316 can hit on 1st and 2nd round starters!!! Laughing

Where's the starting 4th round CB who needs to be tagged?

Or the starting 6th round OG?

Grier can find a starter in the top of the draft given enough picks, but when the draft gets into the lower rounds where a GM needs a keen eye and an evaluation system that actually PROJECTS a player's development or skills into the NFL, Grier drafts JAGs.

I do not see it changing either. But we shall see.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:12 am

white1 wrote:Snead was a good topic of discussion on the Herd.

Here is what is working in the Chiefs favor:

- Sneed was a 4th round pick.  Getting a 3+7 is actually an increase in value.
- While Sneed was playing on his rookie deal, they won 2 Superbowls.
- His replacement is already on the roster.  I don't remember the guy's name, but he will start this season in Sneed's spot.

They draft well.  They have Mahomes, Reid and Spagnolu.  Long story short, they didn't want the drama of forcing a player to play on the tag - and they chose not to, because well, they can.

It's an envious position to be in.  We can laugh all we want.  They are pointing to the trophy case.

I don't think anyone is laughing, but of course, the Chiefs are the model team in the NFL at the moment. I have no problem with them trading Sneed - I just expected them to get at least a 2nd in return...maybe a 2nd and 5th or something like that. In the end it doesn't matter - just surprised me.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:16 pm

finfanatic wrote:Heck, even DF316 can hit on 1st and 2nd round starters!!!   Laughing

I can even go as low as the 4th if you like (coughZachTomorRomeoDoubscough).

Then again, my idiot self would've taken O'Cyrus Torrence over Cam Smith with the first pick last year. As if this team needed a guard who started every game Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes So what do I know?

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:16 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
finfanatic wrote:Heck, even DF316 can hit on 1st and 2nd round starters!!!   Laughing

I can even go as low as the 4th if you like (coughZachTomorRomeoDoubscough).

Then again, my idiot self would've taken O'Cyrus Torrence over Cam Smith with the first pick last year. As if this team needed a guard who started every game Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes So what do I know?

Grier sets the board up differently than most would IMO. Some of the picks are just head-scratchingly questionable IMO.

I would dearly love to see how he is ranking the players or exactly what he is using to make his picks? As another friend of mine has said to me one a few occasions, "Grier is ranking the draft players based on who he has on the Phins roster at the present time, and who he is looking to jettison next year, or maybe this year."

That seems to be a weird way to set up a draft board but if you look at it, had Tindall worked out, might they not have traded or cut Baker? How about if Cam Smith had shown himself ready to go, could the Phins have not cut Howard or traded him?

That kinda/sorta makes sense I guess, but it still leaves the Phins with the same sort of problems they have had for a few seasons in a row now IMO. Especially when the players Grier keeps drafting cannot get on the field and in no shape, form or fashion are able to replace the players they might have been drafted to replace.

JMP - The fact KC got SOMETHING for Sneed at all when the other team had to pay him a boatload is a good thing IMO.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

i had heard there might've been interest from the Dolphins due to his association with Weaver last year, but...

Free agent pass-rusher Jadeveon Clowney has agreed to a contract with the Carolina Panthers, the team announced Wednesday.

Terms were not disclosed but sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter that Clowney agreed to a two-year, $20 million contract that can be worth up to $24 million.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39821712/panthers-sign-pass-rusher-jadeveon-clowney-sources-say

he made $2.75M last year for part time work with the Ravens and is now in line to make up to $12M per year. quite a pay raise, but i suspect much too rich for what would've/could've been his role in Miami.

mercury22nathan

JMP, DolFan 316 and finfanatic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:04 am

He got way more than Miami could pay IMO. Assuming Weaver did want him?

But you have to wonder if the Phins are still working on the "Weaver Plan" to fix the defense. Without Wilkins, Howard, Ogbah, AVG....

If this was the plan... I gotta say I am not real impressed.

LB MAY be better, especially in the new scheme, Barrett okay, Fuller is a good replacement for Howard kinda/sorta... but...

If this was the plan, I see absolutely nothing that would have blown away the Phins front office in the interview. So what is the plan besides changing the defensive scheme?

It comes to mind that maybe Grier and his personnel decisions have short-circuited the "Weaver Plan" perhaps?

It IS still way early, I wonder if Weaver would have signed up if Grier had told him. "Hey, no Wilkins, no Ogbah, no AVG, and we are going to cut Howard. Cam Smith is a future HOFer anyway, so..."
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:24 am

finfanatic wrote:He got way more than Miami could pay IMO. Assuming Weaver did want him?

But you have to wonder if the Phins are still working on the "Weaver Plan" to fix the defense. Without Wilkins, Howard, Ogbah, AVG....

If this was the plan... I gotta say I am not real impressed.

LB MAY be better, especially in the new scheme, Barrett okay, Fuller is a good replacement for Howard kinda/sorta... but...

If this was the plan, I see absolutely nothing that would have blown away the Phins front office in the interview. So what is the plan besides changing the defensive scheme?

It comes to mind that maybe Grier and his personnel decisions have short-circuited the "Weaver Plan" perhaps?

It IS still way early, I wonder if Weaver would have signed up if Grier had told him. "Hey, no Wilkins, no Ogbah, no AVG, and we are going to cut Howard. Cam Smith is a future HOFer anyway, so..."

I think Clowney just followed the money. Supposedly he was close to signing with the Jets, but in the end he went to a bad team that threw the most money at him. He's nothing but a hired gun at this point, playing for a new team every year. While it would have been great to have him in Miami, I wouldn't have paid him that much.

I am on the completely opposite side with Weaver. I think he's an excellent hire, and the offseason moves the Phins have made are a reflection of Weaver's emphasis on being multiple and being tough. LB and CB have been massively upgraded - I don't see how anyone can say otherwise. The combo of Brooks and Walker is much better than Baker, and it's really not close. And at CB, Fuller is a big upgrade over the declining Howard - again, that's a pretty clear upgrade to me. AVG is a bit of a cult hero and certainly a fan favorite, but I don't think you'll find many non-Dolfans that would take him over Shaq Barrett - so that's an upgrade too IMO. The DL is very interesting - we may have lost Wilkins and Davis, but we added a true NT and a bunch of players that will fit very well in the rotation that Weaver is going to use. This is no longer a defensive front where two linemen are going to play 90% of the snaps each week - it's going to be a true rotation, and they're not done adding pieces yet.

I am sure Weaver was well aware that the Phins were likely going to lose Wilkins, Ogbah, AVG and Howard - Grier does not strike me as a sneaky, underhanded type that would lie to a potential coaching hire, at all. In fact, I think Weaver was involved in the process from day 1.

Anyway, I'm very excited about the new defense and I can't wait to see it in action.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 and finskev like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:48 am

JMP wrote:The combo of Brooks and Walker is much better than Baker, and it's really not close.

I too very much wanted to believe Brooks was an upgrade over Baker, but I’m just not sure he is. Originally, Miami wanted to keep Baker, but at a much reduced salary. No agreement could be made, so Baker was released. I believe this is more about money and salary cap constraints than it is about upgrading performance. In most metrics (including pass coverage), Baker far outshined Brooks.

Brooks was a 1st round pick, but Seattle was content to let him walk as he’s mostly not lived up to his pedigree.

Last season, Brooks allowed a 93.2 passer rating in his coverage area; he was often given a difficult assignment in pass coverage and handled it far better than earlier in his career. He had first career interception last season and returned it for a touchdown.

But in his four NFL seasons in totality, he has allowed a bloated 118.4 passer rating in his coverage area -- with 202 completions in 242 targets for 2160 yards, 12 touchdowns and that one interception, per PFF.

“Brooks was a liability in coverage during his time with the Seahawks, and while he had his best season in 2023, this seems like one of the positions where Miami could have waited and found a cheaper option later,” ESPN’s Bill Barnwell said.

…the Seahawks declined his $12.4 million fifth-year option for 2024… a year later, the Seahawks did not outbid Miami for him.

…he has done little to prove himself as an elite linebacker.

“It wasn’t until last season that Brooks nabbed the first (and only) interception of his career. He has forced two fumbles (one in 2022, and one last season) and has tallied 6.5 career sacks – 4.5 of them coming in 2023. In 2021 he led the league in solo tackles with 109.

“But that was the season Seattle finished last in time of possession (nearly 1½ minutes less than the next-to-last team) meaning Brooks was just perpetually on the field.

“Still, when you’re ranked 69th out of 82 linebackers by PFF, as Brooks was last season, you come off as expendable. His ranking was even worse the season before, when he replaced Wagner at middle linebacker.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article286450195.html

Look, I hope this works out, but I don’t think we can just assume that Brooks is a clear upgrade. And I was happy to see Baker go as I think his performance was just average – and Miami needs something more in their LBing corp. I’m just not sure they got it, but maybe Weaver can bring out in Brooks what Seattle could not.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:28 pm

Brooks was very good in Seattle. They have a new coaching staff and went in a new direction on defense (dumping Bobby Wagner too). Brooks is very fast, he's a tackling machine, and he makes plays. Baker was a solid player, but I'd take Brooks any day. And adding Anthony Walker to the mix at LB makes it even better.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:10 pm

Jets acquired edge Haason Reddick from the Eagles for a conditional 3rd round pick in 2026. The pick will likely become a 2nd based on production.  Good move for the Jets but now they have to sign him to a new contract. This makes up for them losing Bryce Huff.

Last edited by JMP on Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:22 pm

JMP wrote:Jets acquired edge Haason Reddick from the Eagles for a conditional 3rd round pick in 2026. The pick will likely become a 2nd based on production.  Good move fifor the Jets but now they have to sign him to a new contract. This makes up for them losing Bryce Huff.

i get signing with the Jets if its more money than you will ever recieve but, the Jets are crappy. Prime Rodgers, they may have had a chance but their issues lie in that oline. Much like ours but they dont have an offensive minded coach.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:08 pm

Umix10 wrote:
JMP wrote:Jets acquired edge Haason Reddick from the Eagles for a conditional 3rd round pick in 2026. The pick will likely become a 2nd based on production.  Good move fifor the Jets but now they have to sign him to a new contract. This makes up for them losing Bryce Huff.

i get signing with the Jets if its more money than you will ever recieve but, the Jets are crappy.  Prime Rodgers, they may have had a chance but their issues lie in that oline.  Much like ours but they dont have an offensive minded coach.

The Jets are an interesting team. They have added a lot of pieces on offense, and it looks like they have set themselves up to take Bowers in the draft. If healthy, they should have a good OL, strong run game, and a bunch of weapons in the passing game. They already have a great defense. The question is Rodgers. If he plays well, they have a chance to make some noise. I never thought they'd be good last season, even with a healthy Rodgers, but this season it looks like they have a much better offensive roster. Unfortunately.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:41 am

As the poet Robert Burns once said
The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft a-gley.

And if you don't speak Scottish, the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray.

The Jets realized the problem from last year was the Oline and they took steps to fix it. I still think they should go Oline with that 1st pick, but who knows?
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:01 am

finfanatic wrote:As the poet Robert Burns once said
The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft a-gley.

And if you don't speak Scottish, the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray.

The Jets realized the problem from last year was the Oline and they took steps to fix it. I still think they should go Oline with that 1st pick, but who knows?

I agree that the Jets probably should go OL with that first pick, depending on how the top 9 plays out, but they MUST win now with Rodgers at QB. It really doesn't make sense for them, from their perspective, to use the #10 pick on a lineman that isn't going to play (barring injury to a starter). TE looks like their biggest need at the moment, and the best one in the draft will be sitting there for them. Rodgers loves throwing to TEs, and since he is now the de facto GM, my guess is that's what he wants and that's what he'll get.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:20 am

You are probably correct, JMP.

That win now mode may be calling the shots.

If one of the big WRs falls, they may go that way instead of TE?
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:33 pm

finfanatic wrote:You are probably correct, JMP.

That win now mode may be calling the shots.

If one of the big WRs falls, they may go that way instead of TE?

Yep, that's a possibility too. Whatever Rodgers wants! LOL

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15