The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thread for Dolphins Free Agent signings (formerly the Aaron Brewer thread...)

+7
Umix10
white1
finfanatic
finskev
mercury22nathan
DolFan 316
JMP
11 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Thread for Dolphins Free Agent signings (formerly the Aaron Brewer thread...) - Page 3 Empty Re: Thread for Dolphins Free Agent signings (formerly the Aaron Brewer thread...)

Post by finfanatic Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:22 am

JMP wrote:Yep, signing Driscoll and Wynn really has no bearing on the Phins drafting OL, IMO.  All it does is take away the desperation of having to draft OL early.  Like all the FA signings so far, Wynn and Driscoll give the Phins more draft flexibility and don't lock them into any one position.

Flexibility is nice and all, but this pattern is just not going to work IMO.

The Oline needs to be one of the groups on the team where continuity is the key IMO. Having to sign one year players every year and switch and change positions is a terrible way to get a good Oline IMO.

They Phins are in the position of having to replace the entire interior of the Oline because of this policy of filling in with one year players and allowing Hunt and Williams to go in free agency. There are no developmental draft picks on the team to take over. That needs to be fixed quick, fast, and in a hurry IMO!

Instead of trying to get starters on one year deals, they should be going after backups on one year deals IMO. And have the cheap drafted player who was kept as a backup ready to step in as starter.

Hopefully, THAT is what Grier is setting up to do. Get a starter or at least a backup for the Oline in the draft. Or two would be wonderful!!

Brewer got a 3 yr deal so maybe they are counting on him long term, but kicking the can down the road by ignoring the Oline in the draft is never going to get the Phins Oline the consistency and cohesion they need for this offense to take off IMO.

finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Thread for Dolphins Free Agent signings (formerly the Aaron Brewer thread...) - Page 3 Empty Re: Thread for Dolphins Free Agent signings (formerly the Aaron Brewer thread...)

Post by JMP Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:05 am

finfanatic wrote:
Instead of trying to get starters on one year deals, they should be going after backups on one year deals IMO. And have the cheap drafted player who was kept as a backup ready to step in as starter.

Continuity is great, but because of free agency and injuries we need to reload on the OL this offseason.

Wynn is the only one-year FA OL that is expected to be a starter, and even that's not written in stone. Driscoll might start, but who knows?

Because of what we did in FA, we don't have to draft linemen early, or even at all. I think we still will, but at least now we don't have to reach.

I'd also add that we had the cheap backups step into starting roles last season - and it didn't work.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:02 pm

This sudden, weird Odell Beckham obsession thing out of nowhere is the final straw for me. Grier has crossed the line. Now I'm wondering if he's even going to draft ANYBODY or just end up giving all the picks away because "we already have players A, B and C at positions X, Y and Z, we don't need anybody else there."

It's also ridiculous how suddenly WR depth and new TEs who will hardly ever get a pass thrown their way are far more important than addressing the interior O-line beyond signing a center who can't pass block. Don't give me Driscoll, he might not even be as good as Dan Feeney who was supposed to be a starter according to some people but ended up being traded to the Bears for peanuts just months after he was signed. Evil or Very Mad

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:15 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:This sudden, weird Odell Beckham obsession thing out of nowhere is the final straw for me. Grier has crossed the line. Now I'm wondering if he's even going to draft ANYBODY or just end up giving all the picks away because "we already have players A, B and C at positions X, Y and Z, we don't need anybody else there."

It's also ridiculous how suddenly WR depth and new TEs who will hardly ever get a pass thrown their way are far more important than addressing the interior O-line beyond signing a center who can't pass block. Don't give me Driscoll, he might not even be as good as Dan Feeney who was supposed to be a starter according to some people but ended up being traded to the Bears for peanuts just months after he was signed. Evil or Very Mad

Adding a third WR or another TE really has nothing to do with the OL - we can do all those things. They're not mutually exclusive. But clearly, WR and TE are easier to find than OL - at least at reasonable cost.

Also, the Dolphins aren't obsessed with OBJ - if they were, they would have signed him already. He's a player they met with, and if they can agree to a price they might sign him. Nothing more than that. They've also met with several other free agents that they didn't sign.

The free agent additions don't mean that we are not going to draft those positions, at all. It just sets us up to draft for BPA rather than need. That's a good thing.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:21 pm

How many other teams have even expressed interest in OBJ (Old Broken down JAG)? I haven't heard of any. The Fins seem to be the only team who doesn't realize what a washed up diva he is.

We'll see about the draft. But I STRONGLY suspect Grier's actually going to pass up WR in what I keep being told is the deepest class in years because hey, he already has Berrios and Cracraft (and maybe OBJ) so gee golly gosh, there's just no need for another one. Same goes for interior O-line.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:31 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:How many other teams have even expressed interest in OBJ (Old Broken down JAG)? I haven't heard of any. The Fins seem to be the only team who doesn't realize what a washed up diva he is.

We'll see about the draft. But I STRONGLY suspect Grier's actually going to pass up WR in what I keep being told is the deepest class in years because hey, he already has Berrios and Cracraft (and maybe OBJ) so gee golly gosh, there's just no need for another one. Same goes for interior O-line.

How many years ago was OBJ considered a diva? It certainly wasn't last season with the Ravens. We're talking about a #3 receiver - I think you're making a much bigger deal out of it than it actually is. They met with a potential #3 receiver - maybe they'll sign him, maybe they won't. That's really all there is to it.

Grier might pass up WR or OL in the draft - or he might draft one or both. It all depends on how the draft plays out. But signing Berrios, Cracraft and Driscoll will not prevent the Dolphins from drafting those positions, at all.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:42 pm

I still say they're going edge with the first pick. Surely even Grier knows that just having Shaq Barrett to start the season isn't enough and he needs at least one more. Plus getting one early will be nice insurance for when Chubb needs to be traded/released.

I actually DON'T see the sense in trading down now unless it's for future picks since there's pretty much no room for the number of picks they have right now.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:56 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:I still say they're going edge with the first pick. Surely even Grier knows that just having Shaq Barrett to start the season isn't enough and he needs at least one more. Plus getting one early will be nice insurance for when Chubb needs to be traded/released.

I actually DON'T see the sense in trading down now unless it's for future picks since there's pretty much no room for the number of picks they have right now.

I agree that edge is the most likely first pick, but again it really depends on how the draft plays out. Will there be a worthy edge at 21? Probably - but you never know which players at other positions might fall to that spot. I have heard that the Phins have spent a lot of time with Laiatu Latu. (On a related note, I've also heard that Jae Phillips may be on track to start the season.)

I'm still on board with trading down. We definitely have the roster space - almost all of these one-year deals are "cuttable" if a rookie earns a job.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:14 am

I suppose that is one good thing about the one year deals, at least you are not committed long term!

Which, like in the case of Wynn last year, was a bad thing because he would have gotten a better offer to go elsewhere IMO, if not for the injury.

But it is how a lot of teams are operating. The Phins have to operate that way for this season and probably next as well IMO.

The other player the Phins are supposedly studying besides Latu, is TE Ja'Tavion Sanders? Would they really use a 2nd for a TE when they have Jannu? I assume they could trade Jonnu if needed?

But Sanders is a Gesicki type TE IMO.

Draft Buzz has this as one of his weaknesses:
Less suited for traditional tight-end blocking roles that require consistent in-line play.

I mean if Gesicki can't stick in the McD offense, why would Sanders??

I would prefer to use a later round pick for a more traditional TE who might become a 2nd or 3rd target for Tua when the fecal matter hits the rotary air impeller device!!!

I am looking at Holker 6'3" 241 lbs plus as an added incentive for Grier, he has an injury history with one serious ankle injury! Grier has to be looking at him!!   Neutral

And I am starting to lean more towards Tip Reiman 6'5" 271lbs. He runs a 4.64 40 yard dash! I did hear one talking head say "You don't want to say Gronk-like, but..."

Trade down a little and they could land Ben Sinnott or Theo Johnson.

As far as Grier filling holes, I am all for it. The draft is a crapshoot and you have to have your bases covered. Plus, you can assume Grier might actually WHIFF on his first two picks, so having an old, proven player who can step in when the draft pick who can't sniff the field (Cam Smith, anyone?) is unable to play is a good thing. (Unless it is Eli Apple, but...)  

Also; if you are facing having to draft for need, you do not maximize the value of the pick which is an unpardonable sin when it comes to drafting.

With Grier in charge of the draft, the Phins need all the insurance policies in place they can possibly have IMHO! Sad to say.

So bring on OBJ and go get Dan Feeney; again.     Laughing
finfanatic
finfanatic

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:35 am

finfanatic wrote:Plus, you can assume Grier might actually WHIFF on his first two picks

Or, you can assume he'll get good/great players with his picks in rounds 1 and 2, as he did with Wilkins, Tua, Jackson, Hunt, Davis, Waddle, Phillips and Holland.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:40 am

JMP wrote:Or, you can assume he'll get good/great players with his picks in rounds 1 and 2, as he did with Wilkins, Tua, Jackson, Hunt, Davis, Waddle, Phillips and Holland.

How many of those players are still on the team? And since when was DAVIS ever "good/great"? Nobody ever said a word about him the entire time he was here except for the usual "he's big and that's valuable because he stuffs the run" asides.

I'm joining FF in already writing off this draft. It's now so obvious he'll be making Latu the first pick when at least half the other teams have him off their board completely because medical. Second pick will no doubt be yet another bust CB after the best ones are long gone. It's all so predictable (sighs).

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:16 am

Well, I have not written the draft off... entirely.

It's just when Grier THINKS he has draft latitude I worry that he might go for a pick that will not work out.

Tindall... Smith... Of course he didn't have a lot of picks so...

He goes after what to him are picks that make some sort of "sense" in his personnel schemes, but generally don't work out at all.

Latu may be medically cleared and if he is the pick so be it. I think Phillips himself had a neck issue (or was it concussions?) and he has worked out.

It just seems like there may be a chance to get a real IMPACT player in this draft and I do not want to see Grier screw it up.

Somebody needs to rank the players. Make it easy on Grier.

If Murphy is there...
If Fautanu is there...
If Verse is there...
If Latham is there...
If Latu is there...
Etc... in whatever order the players are rated.

I keep hearing the talking heads say as many as four QBs could go in the top ten, and that is going to push all the other player down the boards.

Grier has go to come out of this draft with AT LEAST ONE STARTER who makes a real impact IMO.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:31 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:Or, you can assume he'll get good/great players with his picks in rounds 1 and 2, as he did with Wilkins, Tua, Jackson, Hunt, Davis, Waddle, Phillips and Holland.

How many of those players are still on the team? And since when was DAVIS ever "good/great"? Nobody ever said a word about him the entire time he was here except for the usual "he's big and that's valuable because he stuffs the run" asides.

I'm joining FF in already writing off this draft. It's now so obvious he'll be making Latu the first pick when at least half the other teams have him off their board completely because medical. Second pick will no doubt be yet another bust CB after the best ones are long gone. It's all so predictable (sighs).

All the players I mentioned were objectively good/great picks, whether they are on the team today or not. The players that are no longer on the team got massive free agent contracts from other teams - indicating that yes, they were good picks. And that absolutely includes Davis.

Who are all the teams that have Latu off their board? I heard that he was cleared medically at the Combine, but haven't heard any team reactions.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:52 pm

Phins re-signed OT Kendall Lamm to a 1-year deal. Solid depth move.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:11 pm

Under rated move. Excellent work getting him signed.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:15 pm

Phins sign run-stuffing DT Teair Tart, former Titan and Texan.  Quick, tough, gets off blocks and is a strong tackler.  Several teams were interested but he chose the Phins.  I think he'll be in the rotation at both DT and DE.  Another quality depth piece (and possible starter) from what I can see.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:16 pm

JMP wrote:Phins sign run-stuffing DT Teair Tart, former Titan and Texan.  Quick, tough, gets off blocks and is a strong tackler.  Several teams were interested but he chose the Phins.  I think he'll be in the rotation at both DT and DE.  Another quality depth piece (and possible starter) from what I can see.

Now THIS is a signing I can get behind!!! cheers cheers cheers

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:11 am

As long as he is happy and doesn't freak out like he did for the Titans last season, then yes, this is a good move.

finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:38 pm

NFL won't allow me to embed this, but I'm posting the link anyway because it's Teair Tart highlights worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j-FeZF_qO0

I'm not putting any stock into his behavior last season, as far as I know Tart's never acted like that before and the Titans have quickly become one of the NFL's worst organizations. This isn't a Claypool situation where the guy's been on multiple teams already because he's a cancer. I'm expectng Tart to start and leave a sour taste in the mouths of Fins opponents. I'll even go as far as to say he's the most impactful FA signing Grier's made yet.

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:05 am

well, and there is the fact that the Texans picked him up last year and he played in 2 games before DeMarco Ryans (the latest greatest "he understands the players" coach) decided to make him inactive the rest of the way (including playoffs) and didn't deem him worthy of keeping around.

but yes, if his head and heart are in it, then he can be very, very solid in the middle of the DL.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:09 am

mercury22nathan wrote:well, and there is the fact that the Texans picked him up last year and he played in 2 games before DeMarco Ryans (the latest greatest "he understands the players" coach) decided to make him inactive the rest of the way (including playoffs) and didn't deem him worthy of keeping around.

but yes, if his head and heart are in it, then he can be very, very solid in the middle of the DL.

WHOOOOO!!! MERC IS POSTING AGAIN!!! HALLELUJAH!!! cheers cheers cheers

Seriously, I was starting to get worried about you. Also, I have a couple of videos just for you now that I know you still exist.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:16 am

thanks DF. i'll go watch the videos when i get the chance. i was away all last week in the mountains and valleys of N. PA and S. NY trout fishing with my son with no internet access.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:22 am

mercury22nathan wrote:thanks DF.  i'll go watch the videos when i get the chance.  i was away all last week in the mountains and valleys of N. PA and S. NY trout fishing with my son with no internet access.

Now I've gone from worried to jealous Mad Wink But seriously, good for you cheers cheers cheers

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:30 am

Phins signed special teams ace Cam Brown, former Giant. Listed as a LB, but really only plays STs.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:01 am

What's up everyone. What's the consensus so far on the off season moves? I have a not so good vibe regarding the FA acquisitions.

I'm having family issues with a relative that's gone missing. It's been taking up a lot of my free time. Mental health issues and self medicating .

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next