The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phins to cut Brice McCain and Quinton Coples

+5
Degarmo
CarsonChris
rightchea
scotgif
JMP
9 posters

Go down

Phins to cut Brice McCain and Quinton Coples Empty Phins to cut Brice McCain and Quinton Coples

Post by JMP Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:25 pm

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/sfl-dolphins-expected-to-release-brice-mccain-and-brice-mccain-20160212-story.html

The release of McCain and Coples gives Miami $10.25 million in cap relief, which should help.

Coples was a waste of a signing, and McCain was completed misused as a boundary corner.  He should've been a slot corner, but Jamar Taylor's suckitude forced McCain to the outside.

Anyway, no big loss either way, and it gives us more cap space to blow on big-name overrated free agents.

Last edited by JMP on Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Phins to cut Brice McCain and Quinton Coples Empty Re: Phins to cut Brice McCain and Quinton Coples

Post by scotgif Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:36 am

I think you meant Jamar Taylor. Did you really have to bring up that name, (even in mistake) again? uggh
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Phins to cut Brice McCain and Quinton Coples Empty Re: Phins to cut Brice McCain and Quinton Coples

Post by JMP Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:12 am

scotgif wrote:I think you meant Jamar Taylor. Did you really have to bring up that name, (even in mistake) again? uggh  

Ha! I always mix those guys up...wonder why? LOL Although to be fair , Fletcher played in the NFL for 8 seasons...I don't think Taylor will match that. I'll edit my post...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:54 pm

I just hoping that they get rid of Taylor next.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:11 am

I see around the web that a lot of people want the Phins to try Taylor at free safety.  My question to that is: WHY???  He's terrible in coverage, and he's only a decent tackler when he wants to be...which is rarely.  We already have plenty of safeties that can't cover...I say we dump all the scrubs like Taylor and move on. 

I'd love to see the Phins dump Aikens too - he's horrible - but he is a core special teamer so I think he stays for that alone.  As long as he doesn't play safety...

Last edited by JMP on Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:30 pm

Would a zone defense help in hiding the shitty players we have in the defensive backfield?

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:32 pm

CarsonChris wrote:Would a zone defense help in hiding the shitty players we have in the defensive backfield?

Good question, but I'm not sure. Seems like our corners and safeties always take poor angles and are never where they're supposed to be...which makes me think they'd screw up zone coverage too. I don't know...I have no hope for guys like Taylor and Aikens, and even Michael Thomas (a player I liked at first, but who showed absolutely nothing after his first game last season when he picked off Brady). I think we just need to add better players.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:18 pm

I hate zone. It's the epitome of bend and then break.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:24 pm

Degarmo wrote:I hate zone. It's the epitome of bend and then break.

Dolphins have been running the bend over forward defense

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:14 pm

JMP wrote:I have no hope for guys like Taylor and Aikens, and even Michael Thomas (a player I liked at first, but who showed absolutely nothing after his first game last season when he picked off Brady)..

BLASPHEMY!!! HERESY!!!

But seriously, Thomas forever has a spot in my personal Fins Hall Of fame for that play, and I'm blaming the fact he hasn't done anything since on being surrounded by a dumpster fire.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:24 pm

Agreed - I'll always like Thomas for that one game alone. He was like a one-man wrecking crew on both D and STs that day. But, he has looked absolutely lost in coverage since then. Maybe it is coaching...but I tend to think he's just not that good.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:27 pm

Degarmo wrote:I hate zone.  It's the epitome of bend and then break.

Zone has it's place, but you have to pick and choose when to use it. But, as a full-time defense, I agree - it doesn't work. Legit QBs feast on zone defenses. And, zone also helps to foster a soft mindset on defense IMO.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:58 am

JMP wrote:Maybe it is coaching...but I tend to think he's just not that good.

Very hard to tell with this squad. I am leaning towards Coaching a bit, but it's really a tossup. We'll just have to see if Vance Joseph can coach up, teach, and improve some of our incumbents. With Thomas I'm willing to let him stick. We have a lot of other fat we can trim before we cut someone who has at least flashed some playmaking capability.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:05 am

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Leon Hall, Pac Man Jones and Reggie Nelson in Miami next year.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:39 am

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Leon Hall, Pac Man Jones and Reggie Nelson in Miami next year.

Good! Bring em all in. We need help in the secondary.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:54 am

JMP wrote:
Degarmo wrote:I hate zone.  It's the epitome of bend and then break.

Zone has it's place, but you have to pick and choose when to use it.  But, as a full-time defense, I agree - it doesn't work.  Legit QBs feast on zone defenses.  And, zone also helps to foster a soft mindset on defense IMO.

I agree, and yeah, I was referring to zone all the time. Most defenses use some kind of zone on most plays, particularly in safety support. I just can't stand watching linebackers drop back and watch the play unfold in front of them and then make the tackle 12 yards downfield Bob Brudzinski style.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:03 pm

Update: Brice McCain signed with the Titans

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000640714/article/brice-mccain-tennessee-titans-agree-to-twoyear-deal

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported McCain agreed to a two-year deal worth $5 million.

Crazy cheap deal.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:35 pm

Zone is for sissies!

Get some guys that can play man to man and some LBs that can stick it to WRs on the quick slants, and turn the pass rush loose....But this is Miami not Denver, so....play that zone all you can!

The secondary stinks, but I have to think some of that is the atrocious scheme Coyle/Philbin liked where you let the other team throw it and then make the tackle?

On Thomas....I have a hard time thinking he was just LUCKY that day. I think once he learned the scheme and started doing what the coaching staff wanted, his instincts were useless.

But seriously, Thomas forever has a spot in my personal Fins Hall Of fame for that play,

Me too.

Just like I will always think of Greg Camarillo as one the Phins best WRs ever!!!!
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:07 pm

finfanatic wrote:Zone is for sissies!

Get some guys that can play man to man and some LBs that can stick it to WRs on the quick slants, and turn the pass rush loose....But this is Miami not Denver, so....play that zone all you can!

Yep - a man to man scheme breeds toughness, and the Dolphin D has been way too soft for years.  We need a whole change in attitude...tired of seeing the Phins get pushed around.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down