The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keep Miller - at that price?

+2
Birdmond
mercury22nathan
6 posters

Go down

Keep Miller - at that price? Empty Keep Miller - at that price?

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:38 am

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/15/dolphins-want-to-keep-lamar-miller/

...the Dolphins “definitely” want Miller back in 2016.

But, of course, the question is whether the Dolphins will spend the money it takes. Beasley pegs Miller’s asking price at $5 million a year, which is a lot for a running back in today’s NFL.

i don't know, $5M per year for a running back that can't grind out the short yards seems a little bit much.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Keep Miller - at that price? Empty Re: Keep Miller - at that price?

Post by Birdmond Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:03 pm

To me if Miller was used properly he'd be worth every penny. He should easily get 1000 yards on the ground and 700 receiving. Now if Gase doesn't throw to backs then I don't see the value. He should be used the same way Marshall Faulk was. I'm good either way.

As for short yardage, I think it's kind of unfair to judge any back running behind our guards. But I will say that Miller puts the work in with respect to weight lifting. He's gotten bigger every year with no loss in speed.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:14 pm

I think Miller is the Phins' best player on offense, but $5 million for a RB is too much these days, especially when there's no evidence that he can be a workhorse back.  I also have no idea what Gase wants in a back, so that obviously is something to consider.

If I had to guess, I'd say Miller will be playing somewhere else this season.

Last edited by JMP on Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:32 pm

It would be nice if Miller were kept. But if you were Miller would you stay with a team that's a dumpster fire and who hardly ever even uses you? I wouldn't.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:26 pm

Ajayi fell all the way to the fifth round in last year’s draft, but looked like an explosive playmaker in his 49 carries. Overall, he picked up 187 yards from those carries and, while the 3.8 yards per carry average looks distinctly average, the 3.3 yards per carry average after contact and 12 broken tackles do not. To put those numbers in perspective, Miller averaged only 2.8 yards after contact per attempt, and broke just 28 tackles in 194 rushes. Amongst backs with a minimum of 50 touches, only Dion Lewis surpassed Ajayi’s 83.7 elusive rating, and only Spencer Ware and Le’Veon Bell recorded a superior yards-after-contact average. Ajayi will have to prove his talent with an increased workload, but the early signs are incredibly promising for the Dolphins.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/02/23/pro-why-miami-should-let-free-agents-olivier-vernon-lamar-miller-walk/

just posting for thought.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:34 pm

Ajayi would be good feature back but the concern for his knee is what going to hold him back. He will need someone like Miller in front of him

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:00 pm

Maybe it's time for these NFL FAs to think about long term future and not a quick payday. They all jump for the quick big payday to a new team that dumps or restructures them 2 years later. If you like a team and city. Sign a friendly deal and become a longtime favorite.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:20 pm

Even though I saw every play of the season, I must have missed the times when Ajayi looked like an "explosive playmaker".  Gotta love PFF.  lol!

I thought Ajayi had a few decent runs early on when there was a big hole for him to hit, but as the season went on it seemed like he had a lot of trouble just getting to the line of scrimmage.  He looked very average to me.  I like him much better as a receiver than a runner, which makes me think he is best suited as a third down back if he ever learns how to pass protect.  I think handing him the starting job at this point would be a huge mistake.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down