The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Josh Norman free agent should Miami go after him

+4
JMP
DolFan 316
white1
rightchea
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Josh Norman free agent should Miami go after him Empty Josh Norman free agent should Miami go after him

Post by rightchea Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:31 pm

Kevin Patra wrote:In a day of twists, the Carolina Panthers provided the most unexpected turn.

In a shocking move, the team rescinded the non-exclusive franchise tag on cornerback Josh Norman on Wednesday.

Norman immediately becomes an unrestricted free agent.

"After a number of conversations with Josh's agent we realized that a long-term deal was not attainable," general manager Dave Gettleman said in a statement. "We have decided to rescind the franchise tag freeing Josh to immediately become a UFA. We thank Josh for all his contributions and truly wish him well."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000654674/article/panthers-rescind-franchise-tag-on-josh-norman

Josh Norman was a okay DB that been to the superbowl. Getting him give Miami an option to go for some other position in the 1st round.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Josh Norman free agent should Miami go after him Empty Re: Josh Norman free agent should Miami go after him

Post by white1 Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:32 pm

No.

This screams WIN NOW and he will want to be paid at a ridiculous compensation level.

Build through the draft, stop with all the damn blockbuster signings.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Josh Norman free agent should Miami go after him Empty Re: Josh Norman free agent should Miami go after him

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:48 pm

Norman wants over $16 mil per season. The Fins can't afford him. Neither can about 25 other teams. Norman's agent is officially insane.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:16 pm

Excellent player, but the price is just too high. Build through the draft.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:41 pm

I was thinking the same thing. Miami can find a cheaper DB in the draft.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:51 am

Carolina is just letting other teams set the market. He'll be a Panther unless Oakland or Jacksonville give him a ridiculous deal.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:36 am

Also saw that Dallas was looking at him as well.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:13 pm

My apologies to Norman's agent for calling him insane. Apparently it's Norman himself who's gone off the deep end.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2016/04/josh-norman-revamps-representation-plus-the-timing-of-getting-a-deal-done.html

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:47 pm

I agree. DO. NOT. EVEN. THINK. ABOUT. IT. Tannenbaum.

But of course he is thinking about it.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:56 pm

Tannenbaum won't sign Norman because it will screw with those all-important comp picks next season.  Having comp picks at the bottom end of the 3rd and 4th rounds is the key to Tannenbaum's Super Bowl plan.  Or something.   geek

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:59 pm

I now fully expect Tannenbaum to not only try his best to sign Norman (the definition of a one-year wonder) but to trade up for a RB when he already had the 8th pick and traded down. I would be shocked if both these things DIDN'T happen. It's just the Dolphin Way.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:05 pm

I heard that Norman just fired his agent and he is expecting some big money.......

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:11 pm

rightchea wrote:I heard that Norman just fired his agent and he is expecting some big money.......

He didn't actually fire him, because that would require him to wait five days to hire a new one for some crazy reason, and Norman's at least retained enough of his senses to realize he literally can't afford to do that with the draft being next weekend. That guy was merely bumped down to assistant flunky.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:13 pm

NFL live announced it.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:17 pm

Sounds like the Skins are going all-in for Norman. They've made him an offer, and there's rumors that he could sign tomorrow...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:42 pm

The Skins have the cap room for it....

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:11 pm

rightchea wrote:The Skins have the cap room for it....

...and an owner that loves to sign big name players to huge contracts! Seems like a perfect match!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:05 am

For once, I'm proud of the fins for their restraint here.

Will it work? To be seen. But it's the right approach.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:17 am

white1 wrote:For once, I'm proud of the fins for their restraint here.

Will it work? To be seen.  But it's the right approach.

I don't think they have much choice with the huge Suh contract on the books...that cap hit is ENORMOUS the next 4 years:

2017 = $19.1 million
2018 = $26.1 million
2019 = $28.1 million
2020 = $22.375 million

Tannehill also has obscenely huge cap hits the next 4 years, all between $19.5 and $21 million.

With numbers like that, it's almost impossible to sign another huge-$ free agent. I think Tannenbaum would LOVE to back up the Brinks truck for Norman - but he can't do it. His hands are tied.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:32 am

Well I guess it depends on how well Tannehill does this year. If Tannehill does bad that means they won't have to pay him. IMO Gase will draft a QB in the 4th or 5th round to push Tannehill, maybe even the third

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:37 am

The way the salary cap keeps rising every year, if we really wanted Norman could have figured out a structure to make it work.

With Kirk Cousins playing so well last season, Norman probably believes the Skins are a better contender in any case.

Whatever the case, I'm glad we did not take an off-season where we uncharacteristically resisted any big contracts and went back to our typical ways.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:57 am

rightchea wrote:Well I guess it depends on how well Tannehill does this year. If Tannehill does bad that means they won't have to pay him. IMO Gase will draft a QB in the 4th or 5th round to push Tannehill, maybe even the third

If we draft a QB in the 4th or 5th round, it will be to push Moore, not Tannehill.  No 4th or 5th rounder is going to get an opportunity to compete with Tannehill.

I think Tannehill will stay.  Gase has a three-year window, and I doubt he's going to want to start over with a new QB in year two.  Plus, Tannenbaum is building this team to compete in 2017, at least in theory.  I doubt he's going to want to do that with a new QB.

But, we'll see...all depends on how bad this season is...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:02 am

white1 wrote:The way the salary cap keeps rising every year, if we really wanted Norman could have figured out a structure to make it work.

With Kirk Cousins playing so well last season, Norman probably believes the Skins are a better contender in any case.

Whatever the case, I'm glad we did not take an off-season where we uncharacteristically resisted any big contracts and went back to our typical ways.

Oh, I'm sure they could make it work - there's always a way.  But at what cost?  If we signed Norman, that would likely be a $60+ million cap hit for three players the next few seasons.  No matter how much the cap goes up, that's way too much money committed to just 3 players.  You can't build a team that way, and even Tannenbaum knows that.

Again, I don't think Tannenbaum wanted to avoid expensive free agents this offseason - I think he literally had no choice.  Hard for me to give him credit for not spending money he really didn't have.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:13 pm

JMP wrote:Again, I don't think Tannenbaum wanted to avoid expensive free agents this offseason - I think he literally had no choice.  Hard for me to give him credit for not spending money he really didn't have.

Exactly. Giving Tannenbaum credit for this is like pronouncing a teen ready for adulthood because he showed up to work on time for a whole week.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:15 pm

As I have said before, the Suh and Tannehill cap-busting contracts are good for one thing at least; keeping Tannenbaum from going after a free agent and making him one of the highest paid free agent at his position in the league.

The Phins are going to have to do it the old fashioned way; they're going to have to earrrnnnnnn it: In the draft.

Unfortunately, that has been a teensy bit of a weak area for the Phins. Just a smidgen of weakness in the drafting area. A slightly less than stellar effort in draft evaluation. A scosh off on picking players. An iota of....

Sad

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next