The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2024 Biggest Free Agent Signing Priority

+4
DolFan 316
JEGnj
JMP
finfanatic
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

2024 Biggest Free Agent Signing Priority Empty 2024 Biggest Free Agent Signing Priority

Post by finfanatic Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:34 pm

I have been pondering on this for a while and initially I have thought DT Christian Wilkins was the priority, but after watching hard knocks episode 3,
it made me realize just how important having a player like Van Ginkel is to this defense.

IMO, Van Ginkel should be re-signed first and foremost among the Miami free agents.

Who knows if or when Phillips will be back and then if he is back, will he be as explosive next season?
And how long before another injury sidelines Phillips? He does seem to get dinged and knicked, and banged up ALOT during the season?

Having someone who can step in and ably replace Phillips is a big deal for the Defense IMO.

Lock Van Ginkel up and make Fangio happy I say.

So, now that the priority free agent re-signing has been settled, we can argue about who the 2nd priority should be.

I say Wilkins is the next, but if anyone wants to say Jackson at RT I would not argue. I might point out that Lamm filled in ably for the oft-injured Armstead
and being in a position where you have both tackle spots on the Oline settled makes an incredible difference in how you have to approach free agency and
the draft also.

Somebody gots to go. I don't see much of a way for Miami to keep everyone, especially since they about to have to pay Tua!

2024 Free Agents

2024 Biggest Free Agent Signing Priority Screen24

Players I would like to see Miami keep:

Andy Van Ginkel - He actually named one of his sons Ripken Van Ginkel???
Christian Wilkins - Heart of the defense.
Austin Jackson who is not showing on the Sportrac link for some reason? He is playing lights out and should be re-upped.
Robert Hunt - If they have to let someone go, let it be an OG (I think? Man I would hate to see Hunt go to the Jets or the Pats!!)
Wynn - They need to keep one of the free agent guards for sure IMO.
Deshon Elliot - He is playing very well in Fangio's D.
Kendall Lamm - He and Jackson need to be re-signed IMO.
Justin Bethel - If he signs cheap enough.
Jake Bailey - Ehhh... OKay, if he is cheap.
Brandon Jones - Signs cheap...sure.
River Cracraft - A cheap WR who could be productive.
Elijah Campbell - I thought the Phins were on to something before he got injured.
Robert Jones - Good depth OG.

Still very early and hopefully the Phins are playing well into the new year!!
finfanatic
finfanatic

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

2024 Biggest Free Agent Signing Priority Empty Re: 2024 Biggest Free Agent Signing Priority

Post by JMP Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:37 pm

Great post!

Love me some AVG - not sure I'd have him as the #1 priority, but he shouldn't be expensive and I think he'll be a relatively easy re-sign if the Phins do intend to keep him.

Obviously, Wilkins, Jackson, Hunt and Williams have to be at the top of any list. It would be a miracle to keep them all, but I sure hope the Phins try.

I'd also like to keep Lamm, Elliott and Berrios if possible. Cracraft should be a no-brainer keeper since he's cheap. I'd keep Campbell for STs...again, cheap. If Bethel doesn't retire, keep him for STs too.

Wynn could be expendable given the play of Eich and Cotton this season. I am a Raekwon fan, but just not sure he's the DT this defense needs. I think he'll get a nice deal somewhere else.

BTW - I believe Baker is actually under contract for 2024. He could be asked for a paycut, or they could try to give him a new deal that lowers the 2024 cap hit. Of course, he could also be a cut or trade candidate - which is probably the most likely scenario.

Lots of decisions...going to be a VERY interesting offseason.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

2024 Biggest Free Agent Signing Priority Empty Re: 2024 Biggest Free Agent Signing Priority

Post by JEGnj Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:18 am

Tired of letting our guys walk. Wilkins needs to stay.
JEGnj
JEGnj

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:17 am

finfanatic wrote:Austin Jackson who is not showing on the Sportrac link for some reason? He is playing lights out and should be re-upped.

Welp, now we know why he wasn't showing up Cool Very Happy

Still think I drafted too many rookies in my first mock? Razz

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:08 am

FYI Keion Crossen will be in the final year of his deal next season, his cap number will be over $3.2 million, and there's zero dead money from cutting him. Seems like an easy cut to make.

https://overthecap.com/player/keion-crossen/7128

Not seeing any way Baker stays either, seeing as getting rid of him saves $9.9 mil with only $4.9 mil of dead money.

https://overthecap.com/player/jerome-baker/6958

That's over $12 mil of cap space cleared from just two moves. Ogbah's surely a goner, and that would save another $13.8 mil with just $4 mil of dead money.

https://overthecap.com/player/emmanuel-ogbah/4745

Of course that's just for starters before restructuring, further cuts/trades and such.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:34 am

Yeah, as JMP keeps saying (posting) there is no need to worry about the salary cap. There are countless way to
avoid, evade, and dupe the cap rules and open up cap room.

One big thing to avoid though IMO, is paying too much in the way of dead money.

If the Jets avoided the impending "Salary Cap Evisceration" way back when (the expansion draft helped out greatly) then no team is in danger from cap hell. Maybe cap purgatory, but...

Cool
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:44 am

Re-visiting the free agent discussion after last night.

With the Williams injury, if it is as bad as early reports indicate, there's a good chance he'll miss a good portion - maybe most - of the 2024 season. If that's the case, I think we move on - no need to give a big contract to a guy that is likely to miss at least half the season. I think we draft a center and move on. Williams has been great, but the injury changes everything.

And now with Hunt missing a few games, does his contract get cheaper? Maybe.

Brandon Jones can take a long walk off a short pier - I'm done with him. Seems like all he's good for is injuring his own teammates. He's been terrible since returning from injury - I guess he's not a scheme fit.

I love Braxton Berrios, but he's a waste because Tua never throws to him and he fair catches every single punt. We can get a dynamic undrafted rookie to do what he does.

Keep Elijah Campbell. He excels on special teams and might become even better if/when McDaniel decides to bring in a legitimate STs coach.

Wilkins's salary increases with each week. This guy is a cornerstone piece and MUST be kept. It will be a massive overpay but it has to be done.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:32 am

I looked up my old post on free agency to see how things had changed:

The biggest thing is Fangio is gone.

Jackson has been signed for 3 years IIRC...

And with Chubb and Phillips and AVG all coming off injuries, Ogbah is going to be cut for cap room, and the Phins maybe having to start a rookie or some new EDGE guys, re-signing Wilkins would seem to be a bigger priority now.

Or maybe not? If they truly do believe Tua is franchise, I would rather
have the franchise QB signed than a great DT.

SO, we shall see which direction the Phins go in?
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:52 am

And this is why edge is always my top priority in every mock draft I do. Not because this team doesn't have glaring holes in several other positions but because who will they even have to play there for at least half of next season right now? Remember, even Cameron Goode managed to get injured coming off the practice squad!

If Grier spends the first pick on a WR or a CB, he should be fired immediately right then and there. Yes, I'm serious. Even O-line I could see since there's a gaping hole there too but no more first pick corners or luxury receivers!!!

(Now if Bowers really does fall to 21 then forget everything I posted above, he's the exception.)

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:33 am

DolFan 316 wrote:If Grier spends the first pick on a WR or a CB, he should be fired immediately right then and there. Yes, I'm serious. Even O-line I could see since there's a gaping hole there too but no more first pick corners or luxury receivers!!!

Raises hand. Professor DF316, may I ask why?

Beyond Hill (171) and Waddle (104), the next most targeted wide receiver was Wilson with a paltry 38. The Dolphins have no 3rd WR option. Although I would really like someone to explain to me why Berrios was targeted 16 times in the first 4 games but then only 17 times the rest of the season??

Couple this inequality with…

Waddle, within two years, is going to be positioned to become a very expensive No. 2 receiver, perhaps the most expensive No. 2 receiver in football. The Dolphins have until May 2 to pick up his $15 million option for 2025, which is a certainty.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article284356249.html

now don’t get me wrong. I absolutely love Waddle and want him to be a Dolphin, but I also have to question the logic of committing major money to a smallish WR as the #2 if Miami is to continue to commit major money to the smallish Hill as the #1. In my mind, ideally the #2 would have a little more a physical presence to him and Waddle would be the slot – unfortunately that would mean the money might not work out for Waddle…unless Miami had their bigger WR (defacto #2 – or #2 in waiting if Waddle eventually leaves via FA) on a rookie contract.

Granted, it doesn’t mean that WR has to be taken in the 1st round (plenty of good WRs are found later), but it also doesn’t mean to consider a potential impact WR in the 1st round is unreasonable. Your thoughts?

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:13 am

I agree completely, merc. WR has to be in the mix in round one, both because it is a major need (both now and in the near future) and because there should be some great scheme fits in round one.

Likewise, CB is a major need as well - with X likely gone and Cam Smith an unknown.

Obviously OL, DT and edge rusher are in the mix as well.

Ultimately, though, I don't think there's any reason to say the first round pick MUST be at this or that position, or must NOT be at this or that position. We need an infusion of young talent everywhere, and can afford to go the 'best available' route. I actually think 21 may be a very good spot to get good value in a trade down to later in round one or the top of round two - that's what I'm hoping for.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:31 am

I agree with Merc and JMP... take the BPA at #21 or better yet... trade down lower into round 1 hopefully and get some more picks.

I think whichever way the Phins go is going to be determined by which top ranked player or players... fall well below where they are rated to go in round 1.

I can't believe one of the big three QBs will fall that far, but might some QB hungry team REALLY want Nix or Pennix?

Who knows what is going to happen between now and draft time. Williams may reveal himself to be a complete dingbat who drops into the lower 1st round before a team is willing to use a pick on him. Maybe trade up to get him?

I don't know if McD and Grier would go in that direction, but either Coleman or Thomas or even Leggette if his combine numbers move him up are BIG WRs that could be #1/#2 WRs IMO. Any of them would immediately improve the Phins passing attack if they played across from Hill IMO. And let Waddle be the slot, crossing, hitch pass option.

I would dearly love it if the Phins could come out of any possible trade down with a 3rd and 4th rounder in this draft. There are going to be some huge VALUE picks in those rounds IMO.

EDIT to add this: I forgot to mention... My friend in So Fla says the Phins should draft Troy Fautanu at #21 and let Armstead go. After looking at it, I think Fautanu will be a very good LT in the NFL. But with all the other holes the Phins have or may have after free agency... Unless Armstead retired and they are unable to sign Lamm as a FA... I don't know about going for a LT there at #21. Austin Jackson kinda/sorta worked out, so....
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:41 pm

Great post, FF.

I agree with your thoughts about WR. If we could get a legit large-bodied #1 type to pair with Hill, and make Waddle the full-time slot, that would greatly improve the efficiency of the offense.

I too would prefer not to go LT at #21...but if we can get a legit day 1 starter I definitely wouldn't complain.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:54 pm

Fautanu is listed as a LT but I have read some reports that say he will be moved to OG. It all depends on who is doing the scouting reports, like always. (sigh)

Taliese Fuaga is listed as RT but I think he may have the skills to move to LT. He is a behemoth! If his arms were just an inch or two longer, he might be the top rated OT in this draft.

I just don't know if either is gonna be a surefire day one starter at LT.

If Armstead retires...

finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:05 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:Raises hand.  Professor DF316, may I ask why?

Since there is no such thing as a stupid question, at least as far as my class is concerned, I will educate, edificate and elucidate you.  Cool

Beyond Hill (171) and Waddle (104), the next most targeted wide receiver was Wilson with a paltry 38.  The Dolphins have no 3rd WR option.  Although I would really like someone to explain to me why Berrios was targeted 16 times in the first 4 games but then only 17 times the rest of the season??

Because spending a first, ESPECIALLY with only one other pick in the top 150 as of right now, on a 3rd WR who by design won't get thrown to any more than what you said with Hill and Waddle healthy, as well as MASSIVE holes along both lines, would be a degree of idiotic incompetence bordering on criminal. Also, we literally just went through this with Cedric Wilson and how much money was wasted on him. And he didn't even cost any picks.

Couple this inequality with…

Waddle, within two years, is going to be positioned to become a very expensive No. 2 receiver, perhaps the most expensive No. 2 receiver in football. The Dolphins have until May 2 to pick up his $15 million option for 2025, which is a certainty.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article284356249.html

now don’t get me wrong.  I absolutely love Waddle and want him to be a Dolphin, but I also have to question the logic of committing major money to a smallish WR as the #2 if Miami is to continue to commit major money to the smallish Hill as the #1.  In my mind, ideally the #2 would have a little more a physical presence to him and Waddle would be the slot – unfortunately that would mean the money might not work out for Waddle…unless Miami had their bigger WR (defacto #2 – or #2 in waiting if Waddle eventually leaves via FA) on a rookie contract.

One, that's a next year problem when there are more than enough cap issues to work through right now, and less than a month to do it. Two, even if Waddle is allowed to walk that doesn't necessarily mean a lot of money won't just get thrown at his replacement. Also, history has shown that Grier loves to trade for expensive guys so who's to say he wouldn't give away next year's first for a #2 WR who he would then pay about as much as Waddle wanted? Three, this brings up once more how retention of draft picks is a major issue for this team. Even the best drafting is negated if the picks are never re-signed. At that point you're just developing another team's players.

Granted, it doesn’t mean that WR has to be taken in the 1st round (plenty of good WRs are found later), but it also doesn’t mean to consider a potential impact WR in the 1st round is unreasonable.  Your thoughts?

In many if not almost all my mocks I do in fact take a WR, but with a much lower pick. Someone like, say, Aineas Smith. Even McCaffrey is frequently available later. This way you get to develop someone next season to take over for Waddle the season after, at a much lower cost of both salary and draft capital. It's not as if no WR drafted in the 5th round has ever excelled before (coughPukaNacuacough).

BTW you get extra credit for asking why instead of simply adopting the stance "because my feelings are facts!" like every other student I've had lately. It's only by questioning established conventions that true progress can ever be made. But never confuse "questioning" with "attempting to destroy for no good reason". Again, so many of my recent students keep making that mistake. Darn millennials...

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:08 pm

finfanatic wrote:EDIT to add this: I forgot to mention... My friend in So Fla says the Phins should draft Troy Fautanu at #21 and let Armstead go. After looking at it, I think Fautanu will be a very good LT in the NFL. But with all the other holes the Phins have or may have after free agency... Unless Armstead retired and they are unable to sign Lamm as a FA... I don't know about going for a LT there at #21. Austin Jackson kinda/sorta worked out, so....

That's...actually not a bad idea except for the fact that letting Armstead go would absolutely wreck the cap. So would him retiring, actually.

finfanatic wrote:If his arms were just an inch or two longer, he might be the top rated OT in this draft.

That's what she said, only she wasn't talking about arms. (Rim shot.)

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:20 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:

a 3rd WR who by design won't get thrown to any more

This team hasn't had a real #3 receiving option since McD got here. I do think the offense will continue to evolve, and a big part of that evolution could/should be adding a large-bodied passing option at WR and/or TE. I don't think having no real third receiving option was by design - it's just the way things played out because receivers weren't getting separation. We saw late in the season that no one beyond Hill and Waddle could get open with any consistency, at least not while both of those guys were severely limited with injuries. Adding a big receiver to the mix could make a huge difference in playcalling and execution.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:28 pm

JMP wrote:
DolFan 316 wrote:

a 3rd WR who by design won't get thrown to any more

This team hasn't had a real #3 receiving option since McD got here.  I do think the offense will continue to evolve, and a big part of that evolution could/should be adding a large-bodied passing option at WR and/or TE.  I don't think having no real third receiving option was by design - it's just the way things played out because receivers weren't getting separation.  We saw late in the season that no one beyond Hill and Waddle could get open with any consistency, at least not while both of those guys were severely limited with injuries.  Adding a big receiver to the mix could make a huge difference in playcalling and execution.

I disagree. McDaniel has made it obvious time and time again that, for reasons I certainly can't understand, his offense simply has no use for TEs who can catch or for a big bodied WRs skillset. Claypool was traded for, yet barely used. Even before this mysterious neck injury business Ezukanma literally almost never saw the field as a rookie. And remember, Parker was traded pretty much right after McDaniel was hired. He just does not want a certain type of WR or TE period, and I don't see that ever changing even though we both seem to agree that it should.

Like every team now, the cap forces the Fins to have to cut corners *somewhere* and they've decided to do it at backup WR and TE. It hasn't hurt them too much--so far--but it's also clearly put a hard ceiling on what this offense can accomplish. But wasting first round picks there when the O-line and front 7 on D need shoring up desperately is not the answer. Not being physical enough on the O-line and not running enough is why they struggle so mightily to score 20 against playoff teams, not because of the backup WRs.

As an aside, I was shocked when I recently looked at WR depth leaguewide and how poor it really is. Did you know a whopping 12 teams--including the 49ers and Chiefs--had just two or fewer WRs with as many as 30 catches this season? Or that just two teams had more than three? In fact, the Jets, Titans, Falcons and Chiefs had only ONE! It's true.

https://stathead.com/tiny/c6ulH

Furthermore, the Fins were 10th in completions this season...but first in yards.

https://stathead.com/tiny/KbvKS

And finally, they had 25 more completions this season than last--even after letting Gesicki walk. And with 18 fewer attempts I might add.

https://stathead.com/tiny/lvdZU

The one real issue is being the only team in the league not to have a single TD catch from a TE. That's a bigger problem IMO than whoever the 3rd and 4th WRs will be next season. It's also why Bowers is an absolute must-pick if he falls to 21, edge rusher need be damned. Hey, every rule has an exception Cool

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:56 pm

Now about this so-called need at CB...

In 2020 Iggy was drafted in the first round, the team finished 10-6 and was 6th in points allowed...and Iggy contributed to this about as much as any of US did. The Fins could've signed some random jamoke off the street to equal his career total of one INT in four years. Obviously they didn't *need* a CB that season.

This year Cam Smith was the first Fins draft pick, and everybody once again couldn't stop talking about how they *needed* a CB. Except that they didn't, because they tied their highest win total this century, had their best season point differential since 1985, and only 3 teams allowed fewer points from the 5th game to the 15th (barely) all with Smith doing slightly more than any of US. So much for that glaring "need" Rolling Eyes

If a team completely whiffs at the same position in the first two rounds twice in four drafts, and has a winning record all four seasons anyway, why on God's green earth would they ever do it AGAIN in year five??? scratch

Some of you seem stuck in this "all or nothing" mindset where if they don't draft a certain position in the first round it means they aren't allowed to take ANYBODY at that position, or at least anybody who doesn't totally suck. And this simply is not true and never was.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:54 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:

I disagree. McDaniel has made it obvious time and time again that, for reasons I certainly can't understand, his offense simply has no use for TEs who can catch or for a big bodied WRs skillset. Claypool was traded for, yet barely used. Even before this mysterious neck injury business Ezukanma literally almost never saw the field as a rookie. And remember, Parker was traded pretty much right after McDaniel was hired. He just does not want a certain type of WR or TE period, and I don't see that ever changing even though we both seem to agree that it should.

I disagree with your disagreement. LOL

On Claypool - he was added as a #6 receiver - maybe #5 - and was never going to be the third receiving option.

Ezukanma reportedly did not know the playobook in full as a rookie, and also was never going to be the third receiving option in his first year.

Parker is a non-issue - the Dolphins were never going to keep him at his salary and they were able to get very good trade compensation for him.

My point is, we have not had the type of big-bodied third receiving option I'm talking about. Julian Hill could maybe possibly develop into that guy, but that's a massive question mark and not something I'd count on. Ced Wilson was given the opportunity, but never really took advantage and will likely be gone this offseason. Durham Smythe stepped up when called upon, but he is not a dynamic receiver in any way. And that's pretty much it.

McD said during the season that a pass-catching TE would be the next step in the evolution of the offense. I believe him, but I also think it could be a big WR instead of (or in addition to) a TE.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:25 pm

For the record, Grier could've taken Rashee Rice at 51 last year but opted for Cam Smith instead, leaving Rice for the Chiefs to take at 55. Just sayin'.

Instead of Ezukanma whose injury history he HAD to know about, Grier could've taken Romeo Doubs in the 4th round of the '22 draft.

So the chances were there and, as usual, Grier willingly passed them up.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:54 am

DolFan 316 wrote:For the record, Grier could've taken Rashee Rice at 51 last year but opted for Cam Smith instead, leaving Rice for the Chiefs to take at 55. Just sayin'.

Instead of Ezukanma whose injury history he HAD to know about, Grier could've taken Romeo Doubs in the 4th round of the '22 draft.

So the chances were there and, as usual, Grier willingly passed them up.

There's only so many picks. Can't pick everyone.

I still think Cam Smith can be a good player - now that we have a DC that might actually let him see the field. He was too good in college to be dismissed without getting a real opportunity.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:59 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Now about this so-called need at CB...

In 2020 Iggy was drafted in the first round, the team finished 10-6 and was 6th in points allowed...and Iggy contributed to this about as much as any of US did. The Fins could've signed some random jamoke off the street to equal his career total of one INT in four years. Obviously they didn't *need* a CB that season.

This year Cam Smith was the first Fins draft pick, and everybody once again couldn't stop talking about how they *needed* a CB. Except that they didn't, because they tied their highest win total this century, had their best season point differential since 1985, and only 3 teams allowed fewer points from the 5th game to the 15th (barely) all with Smith doing slightly more than any of US. So much for that glaring "need" Rolling Eyes

If a team completely whiffs at the same position in the first two rounds twice in four drafts, and has a winning record all four seasons anyway, why on God's green earth would they ever do it AGAIN in year five??? scratch

Some of you seem stuck in this "all or nothing" mindset where if they don't draft a certain position in the first round it means they aren't allowed to take ANYBODY at that position, or at least anybody who doesn't totally suck. And this simply is not true and never was.

The need at CB existed because Howard's days were/are numbered in Miami. And also because the secondary was absolutely decimated with injuries and we had no depth.

You're absolutely right that you don't need to draft a certain position in round one, and I don't think anyone here is saying that. At the same time, there's no reason to dismiss a certain position just because the team drafted a player in the past that didn't work out. Iggy being a bust does not mean that every first round CB the Phins draft till the end of time will also be a bust.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:19 pm

JMP wrote:You're absolutely right that you don't need to draft a certain position in round one, and I don't think anyone here is saying that.  At the same time, there's no reason to dismiss a certain position just because the team drafted a player in the past that didn't work out.  Iggy being a bust does not mean that every first round CB the Phins draft till the end of time will also be a bust.

You might want to wait until Cam Smith proves he isn't before saying that. Right now your position's looking mighty shaky. I just happen to think that if one of the most respected DCs in the NFL over the past 30 years says a guy's not worthy of setting foot on the field, then he probably knows what he's talking about. And everyone else agreed on that right up until Fangio left, and then all of a sudden he turned into a senile doddering old fool overnight somehow scratch

When undrafted guys (Kohou, Needham) are turning out better than the top draft picks there, then you might want to not waste any more high picks at the position. Just sayin'. And until Howard's actually gone this team has MANY other more severe holes anyway.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:05 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:You're absolutely right that you don't need to draft a certain position in round one, and I don't think anyone here is saying that.  At the same time, there's no reason to dismiss a certain position just because the team drafted a player in the past that didn't work out.  Iggy being a bust does not mean that every first round CB the Phins draft till the end of time will also be a bust.

You might want to wait until Cam Smith proves he isn't before saying that. Right now your position's looking mighty shaky. I just happen to think that if one of the most respected DCs in the NFL over the past 30 years says a guy's not worthy of setting foot on the field, then he probably knows what he's talking about. And everyone else agreed on that right up until Fangio left, and then all of a sudden he turned into a senile doddering old fool overnight somehow scratch

When undrafted guys (Kohou, Needham) are turning out better than the top draft picks there, then you might want to not waste any more high picks at the position. Just sayin'. And until Howard's actually gone this team has MANY other more severe holes anyway.

Fact is, Iggy has nothing to do with Cam Smith, and Cam Smith will have nothing to do with the next CB the Dolphins draft.  By your logic, Tua will become the next Marino...after all, both were first round QBs drafted by the Dolphins, right?  Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that - every draft pick will either succeed or he won't, regardless of what a previous pick at the same position did.

Fangio may have had a great coaching career, but that doesn't mean he was perfect by any means - as evidenced by his defense allowing the 22nd most points in the NFL (EDIT - that is, ranked 22 in the category, meaning 10th most points allowed).  Unless you thought it was a smart idea to give Eli Apple 547 snaps on defense while Cam Smith got 20.  No one is saying Smith will be a star...but it sure would be nice to know what we have in him - especially when we had multiple injuries at the position and the players Fangio chose to play did not perform well.  I saw enough from Smith in preseason to warrant another look...but for whatever reason Fangio wouldn't play him, and now we have no idea if he's any good or not.  That's a major blunder by Fangio, regardless of his reputation.

CB is a need position with or without Howard, and whether or not Smith becomes a starting-caliber player.  In a league dominated by the passing game, you can never have enough quality corners - and I'm not sure how many the Dolphins even have at this point.

Last edited by JMP on Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next