The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alpha players

+6
finfanatic
white1
HalCHorn
rightchea
JMP
CarsonChris
10 posters

Go down

Alpha players Empty Alpha players

Post by CarsonChris Mon May 02, 2016 4:22 pm

Apparently this draft was about bringing in Alpha males. Something the last coach couldn't handle. Sounds like they want to get back to hard nose football and didn't have the right team make up.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Alpha players Empty Re: Alpha players

Post by JMP Mon May 02, 2016 4:36 pm

What this team really needs is leadership, and that hasn't been addressed this offseason.

Suh is pretty much the definition of "alpha male", but he's a selfish 'me' player...we have too many of those, and not enough leaders.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon May 02, 2016 8:48 pm

Most players are selfish "me" type players the only difference is if they can get others to want to win as well.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon May 02, 2016 10:32 pm

If Ross wanted Alpha players before this year like they claim then he really should have known that Philbin wasn't the guy to coach them.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon May 02, 2016 11:03 pm

The good news is this is the type of move a real leader makes! It makes me feel better about Gase

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue May 03, 2016 1:01 am

I don't know what the term 'alpha' even means in this context. I know Fireland's Dolphin drafts were filled with players that were team captains - is that an alpha? Those guys sure weren't leaders in the NFL, though. Are you an alpha if you smoke a bong through a gasmask? We got one of those for sure. Are guys that get hurt a lot and have off-field issues alphas? We sure added a lot of those types this offseason. I don't know...I don't see anything special about these players that somehow makes them more 'alpha' than others.

Gase has shown me nothing so far, other than looking like a nervous, awkward, younger version of Philbin in his press conference. Until I actually see him get wins, and lots of them, I'm not impressed. I hope he succeeds, but this offseason is not inspiring confidence.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue May 03, 2016 9:44 am

I read "alpha" as a player that has some brashness to them, and is ultra competitive and vocal.

Teams typically love this kind of player. You need to draft them. I think that's what the beat writers are saying, this class as a whole is made up of alpha males.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue May 03, 2016 10:21 am

white1 wrote:I read "alpha" as a player that has some brashness to them, and is ultra competitive and vocal.

Teams typically love this kind of player.  You need to draft them.  I think that's what the beat writers are saying, this class as a whole is made up of alpha males.

Well, I don't know that being loud and abrasive fits with being an alpha, but if so, I think the Phins need less of that - not more.  Landry's childish outbursts that led to multiple 15-yard penalties last season sure didn't help anyone.  I'm all for swagger and the Phins certainly need more of it, but there's a fine line between "brash" and "asshole".

Again, what I think the Phins need more than anything is player leadership.  I don't see any right now.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue May 03, 2016 10:46 am

Agree 100% with JMP.

The big problem with the team is Philbin got rid of any player who MIGHT have been confrontational to him. He wanted a bunch of milque toats types and the team got progressively softer and softer, and ultimately, Philbin turned the defense into a "Let them catch the pass and then come up and make the tackle."

When the D-line did not turn out to be world-beaters like it was assumed for 2015, the whole defensive scheme turned to shinola IMHO.

Another problem: Tannehill is NOT A LEADER. Sure he is tough, takes a lot of hits, but just getting beat up and playing through it is not enough IMO. I would dearly LOVE for him to get up and pitch a pluperfect turn-blue-in-the-face-from-screaming FIT cussing out the complete losers the Phins have playing at OG!!

A good public shaming might not improve Dallas Thomas playing (as I do not think ANYTHING CAN improve his play) but I think it might lead to better efforts by some of the other O-linemen.

And once the OFFENSE KNOWS Tannehill is the leader...that might carry some weight with the defense. Especially if the offensive play improved.

On defense: I think the problem is fairly evident there too. The Phisn have a few good players with absolutely NOBODY behind them to push them. So any threat about playing better or we will put in your backup rings completely hollow. Suh KNOWS the Phins have nobody behind him who is worth a pimple on his behind, so he can do exactly as he pleases and give only the effort he wants to give, and the Phins cannot do one single thing about it.

The Suh signing was a big mistake IMO. Especially if the team goes down the porcelain vortex again.

GASE - We have to HOPE he can get Tannehill over the hump. If Tannehill could just become more consistent. Sometimes, he looks great, and then he goes into streaks where he is so bad he makes DF316 and JMP long for the glory days of Jay Fiedler! Smile

THAT would go a long way toward fixing the offense IMO. And if the offense is respectable, MAYBE Tannehill will emerge as a leader.

On defense...I just have no idea. Reshad Jones maybe? But he is wanting a big money deal and looks to be disgruntled. It will not be Suh I am confident of that.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue May 03, 2016 11:06 am

Great points, allow me to clarify my post a bit.

I'm operating on the understanding that "alpha" does equate to "leader". Of course, sideline tantrums and committing emotional penalties does not in any way fit the definition of leadership.

I'm reading the intent of the team is to draft players who are leaders. My assumption would be this is one of the goals of the predraft interview process and the Miami visits. To try and identify those players that display leadership qualities, through both interviews with the player and coaches from their past, and team mates.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue May 03, 2016 11:32 am

white1 wrote:Great points, allow me to clarify my post a bit.

I'm operating on the understanding that "alpha" does equate to "leader".  Of course, sideline tantrums and committing emotional penalties does not in any way fit the definition of leadership.

I'm reading the intent of the team is to draft players who are leaders.  My assumption would be this is one of the goals of the predraft interview process and the Miami visits.  To try and identify those players that display leadership qualities, through both interviews with the player and coaches from their past, and team mates.

But again, Fireland's drafts were filled with players that were college team captains.  Surely that implies leadership - but it never translated.

Is Tunsil a leader?  Ha!  WHo else in this draft class is a leader????

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue May 03, 2016 1:04 pm

The problem with drafting so called "leaders" is that some player can be leader and be horrible at the same time then you have good players that are not leaders. Miami need to find alpha players that can make things happen on the field.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue May 03, 2016 1:54 pm

rightchea wrote:The problem with  drafting so called "leaders" is that some player can be leader and be horrible at the same time then you have good players that are not leaders. Miami need to find alpha players that can make things happen on the field.

Excellent point. No one's going to look up to you and listen to you if you suck or you're a backup sitting on the bench.

Then you have Suh...who is an excellent player, but isn't a leader. Same with Mario Williams.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue May 03, 2016 2:50 pm

Makes total sense.

For Tunsil, Drake, Caroo, Howard to become leaders, obviously they need to make plays on the field. Words ring hollow if you're getting beat all day, dropping balls and fumbling.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Tue May 03, 2016 5:25 pm

Normally the leader on offense is the QB and the leader on defense is the middle linebacker. Enough said.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue May 03, 2016 8:17 pm

Birdmond wrote:Normally the leader on offense is the QB and the leader on defense is the middle linebacker.  Enough said.

LOL Exactly!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri May 06, 2016 5:19 am

Alpha males and leaders aren't necessarily the same thing. In fact most alpha males (and females) are as selfish as a person can be. True leaders are the opposite.

Unfortunately in today's world there are far too many selfish alphas posing as leaders who are anything but.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri May 06, 2016 11:51 pm

What 316 said.

Leaders are needed, not more meatheads.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat May 07, 2016 12:22 am

Degarmo wrote:What 316 said.

Leaders are needed, not more meatheads.

cheers

I don't know why it's such a difficult concept for the Phins to grasp, but character matters. You can't win without leaders in the locker room...you just can't.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sat May 07, 2016 2:20 pm

Birdmond wrote:Normally the leader on offense is the QB and the leader on defense is the middle linebacker.  Enough said.

Well since both of them haven't proven themselves to be good leader Miami need to rethink the situation.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed May 11, 2016 9:01 am

Couple of thoughts from an NFC scout on the Dolphins’ draft: “[Alabama running back] Kenyan Drake... Smart kid, though I found him a bit arrogant.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2016/05/exploring-behind-the-scenes-changes-that-are-helping-the-marlins-more-heat-nuggets-and-dolphins-note.html

that couldn't have been what they meant by "Alpha" could it?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down