The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fat Albert and the line

+3
Birdmond
JMP
CarsonChris
7 posters

Go down

Fat Albert and the line Empty Fat Albert and the line

Post by CarsonChris Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:43 am

Fat Albert is feeling the heat of Laremy Tunsil. No not the heat coming from the bong. Fat Albert is coming in leaner and more fit than in previous years. He is asserting his claim to LT.

I read the Dolphins are 7-1 when Albert, Pouncey, and James were playing without injury. If healthy this year we may have a much improved line. Two words I never want to hear, Dallas Thomas!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Fat Albert and the line Empty Re: Fat Albert and the line

Post by JMP Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:46 am

I don't know that Albert is worried about Tunsil.  I think it has more to do with the fact that he's getting older and is trying to do what he can to stay healthy.  It's the smart thing to do at this stage of his career. Plus, he's auditioning for other teams this season, trying to get one last big contract after the Phins release him next year.

I'm not ready to say the line is much improved.  I think both guard positions are major question marks, and the depth at guard and especially center is very weak IMO. 

Tunsil may be a good LT some day, but I really don't like the fit at left guard.  And at right guard, we have a bunch of has beens and never-weres competing.  I still see the interior OL as a major weakness.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:03 am

Fat Albert is down to 313 and looks like he's in amazing shape. His arms are freakin huge. I'd still be shocked if he makes it through the season but it's nice to see a player make the effort.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:17 am

Yep, the effort to improve is definitely great to see.  I think Albert gets taken for granted a bit because of the position he plays, but he's a damn good player when healthy.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:26 pm

It's not by mistake these guys get pro bowl nods. He earned them.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:23 pm

JMP wrote:Yep, the effort to improve is definitely great to see.  I think Albert gets taken for granted a bit because of the position he plays, but he's a damn good player when healthy.

Oh I think he's a very good LT. But availability is a skill.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:24 pm

white1 wrote:It's not by mistake these guys get pro bowl nods. He earned them.

Pouncey? I'm betting if his name was Jones he wouldn't sniff the pro bowl.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:35 pm

Birdmond wrote:
JMP wrote:Yep, the effort to improve is definitely great to see.  I think Albert gets taken for granted a bit because of the position he plays, but he's a damn good player when healthy.

Oh I think he's a very good LT.  But availability is a skill.  

Absolutely.  If you can't get on the field, it doesn't matter how good you are.

Also agree with you about Pouncey...quite possibly the most overrated O-lineman in the NFL.  I'd say he's mediocre at best.

I also think many Dolfans overrate Ja'Wuan James.  IMO he is somewhere between mediocre and decent...nothing special.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:07 pm

I was taking Albert not pouncey
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:31 pm

JMP wrote:
Birdmond wrote:

Oh I think he's a very good LT.  But availability is a skill.  

Absolutely.  If you can't get on the field, it doesn't matter how good you are.

Also agree with you about Pouncey...quite possibly the most overrated O-lineman in the NFL.  I'd say he's mediocre at best.

I also think many Dolfans overrate Ja'Wuan James.  IMO he is somewhere between mediocre and decent...nothing special.

I have to agree with James but Pouncey not so much. the issue is that the right leadership keeps control of how everything goes on the team. IMO Albert has a lot to worry about if his health is going to be a concern

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:56 am

If Tunsil can play Guard, the Oline should be improved.

Yes, the Phins have some good starters on the Oline, but there is absolutely NO BACKUP.

The dropoff from the starters to the backups WAS a deep chasm!

I think that was one reason the Phins have NEW backups for the Oline.

It remains to be seen if these new backups are going to be better, but I have a hard
time thinking they will be WORSE.

Still, Dallas Thomas remains, so apparently there is still a large measure of dumbassedness in the Phins "braintrust".

I agree on Albert. As some famous HC once said, the best ability is AVAILABILITY!

And I do think this will be Albert's last season in Miami, assuming the BongMask Bandit does not ride again!!!

Very Happy

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:27 pm

If Dallas Thomas is on the opening day roster, all of this will be for naught.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:21 pm

Dallas Thomas is a waste as well. If he does improve then he will be a good backup.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:27 am

For what it's worth, I read that in OTAs the right guard competition was between Urbik, Turner, Thomas and Douglas. Snaps were split evenly.  Bushrod is still recovering from injury and is not a factor yet.

If Urbik can't beat those guys, he should probably just retire.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:25 am

I actually feel like our depth - especially at backup OT and backup C is much better than last season. The o-line could actually be okay this season. I say "could".

Last year I had no hope regarding our gaurds and depth going in, so I view this as a minor improvement at least.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:25 am

white1 wrote:I actually feel like our depth - especially at backup OT and backup C is much better than last season.  The o-line could actually be okay this season.  I say "could".  

Last year I had no hope regarding our gaurds and depth going in, so I view this as a minor improvement at least.

Wish I could share your view. 

--Depth at tackle may be improved depending on how much work Tunsil actually gets at tackle.  Sam Young is just a body...no expectations for him. 
--We still don't have a legit backup center...Douglas is a work in progress and I have low expectations.  Pouncey isn't even that good IMO, but if he gets hurt we could be screwed.
--Depth at guard seems pretty awful to me...we have a lot of players, but I'm not sure any of them are worthwhile.  Urbik was pretty good a few years ago, but his play has tailed off and he hasn't been a full-time starter since 2013.  Bushrod is done, IMO.  I still say Turner should be a tackle, and than there's Dallas Thomas.  I have no idea how Tunsil will be at guard, but looking at those long arms I don't see a position fit at all.  Not much to get excited about at guard IMHO.

Another thing to consider about the guard positions: Pouncey will likely have to help out one or both guards on a fairly regular basis, which as we've seen in the past could be a major issue for the integrity of the interior OL.  I'd worry about the right side too, as James isn't exactly an All Pro (to say the least) and he may have to help out the RG too.

Maybe things will work out better than I expect, but I think there's a strong possibility that the line continues to be a disaster.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down