The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The O-line

5 posters

Go down

The O-line Empty The O-line

Post by CarsonChris Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:48 am

Watching Sunday the O-line had moments where it was serviceable but most of the time the tackles were getting abused the big surprise was the refs didn't call some of the offensive holds. Brown kept lining up to the right side of Brissett and they constantly used him to negate the rush on Eichenberg's side. Jackson was getting bull rushed and pushed back into the pocket. The line doesn't get much push. I'm not even sure we have an identity of what they want the linemen to be?

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

The O-line Empty Re: The O-line

Post by JMP Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:04 am

To me it looks like the tackles are the biggest issues. Jackson showed promise last season but now looks like the worst LT ever. Davis may have been even worse than that at RT when he was there, and now Eich isn't much better. I really want to see Little get a chance - he might suck too for all we know, but he has to be better than Jackson.

I feel like we can live with the play of the interior OL. Deiter seems to be our best lineman. Hunt has been inconsistent, but not awful. Davis seemed better at LG in Vegas, and I didn't think Kindley was that bad before he got benched.

The quickest way for an OL to gain confidence is by running the ball. Let's start there - pound the ball with Gaskin, get some momentum and soften up the D, and then start taking some shots deep. This is a big OL...start taking advantage of that.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:46 am

JMP wrote:To me it looks like the tackles are the biggest issues.  Jackson showed promise last season but now looks like the worst LT ever.  Davis may have been even worse than that at RT when he was there, and now Eich isn't much better.  I really want to see Little get a chance - he might suck too for all we know, but he has to be better than Jackson.

If Grier saw fit to sign him then no, he's probably worse. Be careful what you wish for...

This scouting department has been absolutely horrible at evaluating O-line talent for over 25 years, going at least as far back as the ridiculous Billy Milner and Andrew Greene picks in the '95 draft. I believe the same guys have been working there this entire time. It sure does seem like it. And if anything they also appear to be getting WORSE at their jobs affraid affraid affraid Not only does Grier need to be fired but tehre needs to be a complete overhaul of the scouts. Replace the whole lot of them, I say!!!

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:36 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:To me it looks like the tackles are the biggest issues.  Jackson showed promise last season but now looks like the worst LT ever.  Davis may have been even worse than that at RT when he was there, and now Eich isn't much better.  I really want to see Little get a chance - he might suck too for all we know, but he has to be better than Jackson.

How can the Cowboys continually build a good offensive line. Same with Baltimore, San Francisco, and Green Bay. Drafting or coaching Miami is doing something wrong. I also think game plan can hide a weakness.
If Grier saw fit to sign him then no, he's probably worse. Be careful what you wish for...

This scouting department has been absolutely horrible at evaluating O-line talent for over 25 years, going at least as far back as the ridiculous Billy Milner and Andrew Greene picks in the '95 draft. I believe the same guys have been working there this entire time. It sure does seem like it. And if anything they also appear to be getting WORSE at their jobs affraid affraid affraid Not only does Grier need to be fired but tehre needs to be a complete overhaul of the scouts. Replace the whole lot of them, I say!!!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:44 am

I think the key there is "game plan can hide a weakness". That's it, right there. Aaron Rodgers, Eli Manning and Russell Wilson have all won Super Bowls with weak OLs. Of course, they are all smart, really good QBs - but the offensive scheme plays to their strengths and hides the poor OL.

In the Dolphins case, I think step one is establishing a running game. As I keep saying, Gaskin is averaging over 5 yards a carry - so start there. Right now, it may be what we do best. Change the focus of the gameplan - instead of trying to be a pass-first team, pound the ball. Run the ball early and often, and keep doing it. Once you establish the run, you can add in play-action passes and, when Tua gets back, RPO elements.

But the thing to NOT do, with this OL, is keep going 5-wide and making the QB a sitting duck. That's something a small tweak in the scheme can address.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:16 pm

I think we are seeing a case of little bads getting lumped together into one gosh-awful case of suckitude!

1 - The double OC thing... the play calling has been BETTER than I expected, but no play calling can survive the poor poor O-line play.

2 - Jackson looks bad. He was not THIS BAD last year. And the expected improvement is just not there. Maybe all the experimenting with Eichenberg, has destroyed Jackson's confidence? Some thing is up there but I do not know what.

3 - Jesse Davis is the only Vet there, and he apparently is not the type to whip the other guys into a cohesive unit. I hate to say it, but they are missing Flowers it looks like. As overpaid as "Wreck" Flowers was, he was a VET who could steady the young guys. Jesse Davis just is not suited for the role of elder O-lineman it seems.

4 - All the fiddling with the O-line to get the "best 5 guys" in TC has promptly bitten the Coaching Staff in the arse IMO. That might work with some seasoned Vets and journeyman O-linemen, but most of these guys are young and needed every snap they could get at ONE POSITION. Like Parcells said about a few of his CoOrdinators "They can get too smart" at times. Kindley looked like he was going to develop into a stalwart Guard last year, but danged if they didn't start experimenting to get things "BETTER". It reminds me of the Tony Sparano micro-mis-management days. HE just never would leave the O-line alone it got stinkier and stinkier the more he messed with it.

5 - All the coaching turnover is starting to show itself for what it is: a big problem for (or with) HC Brian Flores. The Phins haven't the same o-line coach in back-to-back complete seasons since 2014-15 when John Benton was in charge of the unit. (This stat is from SI). The new guy just is not getting these players ready. They all seem to lack any idea of how to fix the bad play. That is coaching IMO.

Again... I think A LOT off this is coaching. But no doubt the talent evaluation or lack thereof is a big problem also. The free agent signings of late have been malodorous for sure!!
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:20 pm

One thing about this OL...we KNOW that Davis, Jackson and Hunt can play better than they have this season - we've seen it. Unfortunately, time is running out on the season - but I think time is exactly what this group needs. It sounds like we are going to roll with the starting OL we had against the Raiders...not sure if that is the best group, but I at least like the idea of keeping these guys together and, hopefully, building a cohesive unit.

We'll see...hopefully this coaching staff wakes up and makes the necessary changes in playcalling and scheme to get us back on track before it is too late. This game against the Colts is HUGE...because a loss would put us at 1-4 after the inevitable loss to the Bucs next week - and at that point, kiss the season goodbye.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:58 am

Center Michael Deiter, who was limited Wednesday with a foot and quad injury, did not practice Thursday. If Deiter cannot play Sunday, veteran Greg Mancz, whom the Dolphins acquired in a trade with the Baltimore Ravens in late August, would likely start. It would be the fourth different offensive line combination in as many games for a unit that has had early struggles.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article254647892.html#storylink=mainstage_card

next man up.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:19 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
Center Michael Deiter, who was limited Wednesday with a foot and quad injury, did not practice Thursday. If Deiter cannot play Sunday, veteran Greg Mancz, whom the Dolphins acquired in a trade with the Baltimore Ravens in late August, would likely start. It would be the fourth different offensive line combination in as many games for a unit that has had early struggles.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article254647892.html#storylink=mainstage_card

next man up.

Figures. The one guy that's been pretty steady is now hurt. At least we have a veteran backup.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:30 pm

So Dieter is going to IR. Man this season blows.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:46 pm

CarsonChris wrote:So Dieter is going to IR. Man this season blows.

That sucks...big loss. No

In other OL news, at the request of Flores, Mike Pouncey has been helping out the OL. I like it...every little bit helps.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down