The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fins Better Win This Year...

+3
white1
Birdmond
DolFan 316
7 posters

Go down

Fins Better Win This Year... Empty Fins Better Win This Year...

Post by DolFan 316 Thu May 21, 2015 5:10 pm

Because next season they're projected at this point in time to be $21 mil over the cap Shocked affraid

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2016/

Isn't putting the Jets in cap hell the reason Tannenbaum was eventually run out of there? Hmmm...

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Fins Better Win This Year... Empty Re: Fins Better Win This Year...

Post by Birdmond Thu May 21, 2015 6:25 pm

Nope. They will be just like everyone else paying big bucks to a QB. I also do not expect Wake, Grimes or Albert to be on the team next year. Non issue. Plus I really don't care about free agency. The draft is all that matters.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Fri May 22, 2015 8:47 am

I really believe the front office factored in this being Grimes and Wakes last year when signing Suh. I also believe Albert won't stay healthy yet again and he'll be gone. Jennings, Moore, Fields and Lamar Miller probably won't return either. So I would say Miami should have around 15 million to play with next season.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri May 22, 2015 8:51 am

Omar broke down the Tannehill deal, it is actually very team friendly.

Agree we have a number of expensive, aging vets - the team will find a way to restructure or release a number of them.

Not too worried - I believe Tannenbaum learned a great deal in his stint with the Jets. Hopefully he won't repeat his cap-busting approach there.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri May 22, 2015 9:17 am

I agree that the draft is all that matters in theory, but if you're talking about losing Albert, Grimes, Wake, Vernon and Miller, those are 5 key positions that need to be filled.  Maybe Ajayi takes over for Miller, but I don't see replacements for any of those other guys on the current roster.  

Same story every offseason - tons of holes, and not enough resources to replace them.

white1 wrote:I believe Tannenbaum learned a great deal in his stint with the Jets. Hopefully he won't repeat his cap-busting approach there.

Well, Tannenbaum already started dishing out bloated contracts with the Suh deal, so I'm not sure exactly what he learned.  And - with possibly a ton of starters to replace next season, free agency has to be a big part of the plan because the number of draft picks is limited and drafted players are unknowns.  So that means more free agent contracts.  Again, same story every year...just keep throwing money at positions you can't draft.

Last edited by JMP on Fri May 22, 2015 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri May 22, 2015 10:11 am

Well from what it sounds like Miller and Vernon might get bigger contracts as well. So unless Miami is getting rid of all it old players and bringing in bunch of Rookie and cheaper vets then I not sure what going to happen

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Fri May 22, 2015 11:45 am

Miller won't, at least from Miami. Vernon has no excuses this year. He'd better get at least 12 sacks or he won't get a huge deal. Next years draft is also loaded with DE's and RB's. Personally I'm not a fan of Vernon or Miller. I want more size at both positions.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri May 22, 2015 2:41 pm

If Miller does well this year I am hoping that Miami doesn't end up like the Cowgirls

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Fri May 22, 2015 4:39 pm

Miller is probably the least of my worries. The idea that Miami might have to draft a left tackle next year is a major bummer. Dion Jordan being a bust and Albert's health trouble me more than anything.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Sat May 23, 2015 2:17 am

All I care about anymore, is Just win now. The time for "rebuilding" or "we're close" is done. We've seen too many regimes sell us a bill of goods about the future, and the future is only a brand new regime, with the same old same old. Kinda like the Who, "meet the new boss, same as the old boss". We don't get fooled again. I could care lesss about salary cap hell. That is the price we pay for years of mis-management. We have no time to rebuild. Just win now baby. Pardon the Al Davis reference.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Sat May 23, 2015 5:18 am

I agree Scott and I'll take it a step further. I don't care about anything but winning and Tannehil's development. Obviously they go hand in hand but it's it's been proven over time in today's NFL a great QB can overcome anything. If Tannehill becomes a franchise QB nothing else matters.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat May 23, 2015 8:09 am

I don't care about salary cap hell either - if the roster is good enough and the team is winning. But that isn't the case, and hasn't been for many years. The cap is a reality, and next year we'll have to cut players to stay under the cap - creating more holes. It's a never-ending cycle with this team, and it all goes back to years of poor drafting. Sadly, I'm not at all convinced that Hickey's two drafts have changed anything in that regard.

I agree that Tannehill is the key, but I just don't know that he's the long-term answer.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Sat May 23, 2015 9:45 am

We will cut players that were going to be cut anyway. That's kind of my point.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue May 26, 2015 9:44 am

Birdmond wrote:We will cut players that were going to be cut anyway.  That's kind of my point.  

Yeah, but those players still have to be replaced via the draft or free agency. That means we are once again devoting all available resources to filling holes. With this team, there's huge roster turnover every year and we end up focusing entirely on needs rather than simply adding talent. That's what happens when you suck at drafting, and overpay mediocre veterans.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Tue May 26, 2015 3:23 pm

Can't argue that. We'll have to pay for Ireland's mistakes for a few more years. But I'm impressed with what HickeyBaum is doing based on the what they have to work with.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue May 26, 2015 10:44 pm

Birdmond wrote:I'm impressed with what HickeyBaum is doing based on the what they have to work with.  

These two Hickey drafts have to be homeruns...with the cap, we absolutely NEED these young, inexpensive players to produce sooner rather than later. I haven't been all that impressed with either draft class - looks like too many role players and special teamers and not enough impact - but time will tell.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed May 27, 2015 8:21 am

I think last years draft was about filling some holes and getting players that fit the system. DeVante Parker is supposed to be the impact player that we've been looking for. I believe he's the first first round pick of a wr we've had in 20 years.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed May 27, 2015 10:31 am

CarsonChris wrote:I think last years draft was about filling some holes and getting players that fit the system. DeVante Parker is supposed to be the impact player that we've been looking for.  I believe he's the first first round pick of a wr we've had in 20 years.

My problem with last year's draft is that only two players made real contributions as rookies. We desperately needed more help, and the draft didn't provide it. All we got out of it was an offensive lineman and a slot/possession receiver - both good players, but not enough to improve the W-L record. Maybe one or two of those other players (including Turner, hopefully) will contribute this season, but again, I just didn't see much impact from that class.

This year, Parker may be the big receiver we've been looking for, but it's too early to say how much he'll actually play as a rookie given the logjam at the position. Maybe Phillips can work into the DT rotation, and if Ajayi stays healthy he could be a solid third-down back right out of the gate. I really don't like any of the other players we picked.

So, we'll see...but I'm not real confident in these two drafts.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu May 28, 2015 2:13 am

Birdmond wrote:Miller is probably the least of my worries.  The idea that Miami might have to draft a left tackle next year is a major bummer.  Dion Jordan being a bust and Albert's health trouble me more than anything.  

A LT is least of Miami worries. Wake is getting old and Miami didnt find a replacement yet. Miami's LB are still a issue and someone needs to beef up the secondary. Getting DB that are under 5'11 doesn't make sense.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Thu May 28, 2015 6:22 am

Don't be surprised if Shelby doesn't have a better season than Wake and that's coming off the bench.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu May 28, 2015 9:07 am

rightchea wrote:Getting DB that are under 5'11 doesn't make sense.

Yeah, I don't get it. Receivers are getting bigger and bigger every year, and most teams are trying to find bigger corners and safeties to counter that. But for some reason, the Phins keep bringing in small DBs - especially corners.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down