The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game 16 thoughts: Phins at Chiefs

3 posters

Go down

Game 16 thoughts: Phins at Chiefs Empty Game 16 thoughts: Phins at Chiefs

Post by JMP Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:40 am

Very late post from me this week. I actually just finished watching the game this morning.

What a pitiful performance. As usual - sloppy, undisciplined and just all around bad.

Gase the offensive genius couldn't get his team to score more than 1 TD against one of the league's worst defenses...and got shut out in the second half. I am so sick of watching him sit on the bench designing offensive plays while his defense is on the field. If he was putting up 40 points a game, I could deal with it. But his offense SUCKS, and he can't even be bothered to watch the game when the defense plays. This fraud is NOT a head coach, at all. Sadly, we'll have to sit through one more season of this assclown.

Gase’s boy toy Cutler was simply horrific late in the game. If I didn’t understand the old phrase “he couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn” before the game, I sure do now. Just brutal. The running game was actually pretty good, with Drake averaging over 4 yards a carry. But of course, Gase completely abandoned the running game for reasons only he knows, with Drake getting just 4 second half carries. The WRs had a statistically good game, with Landry, Stills, Grant and Parker combining for 18 catches and 275 yards. However, this group scored just 1 TD and Landry and Stills both lost fumbles. Grant had the only big play of the game, taking a short pass and going 65 yards for a TD. It was good to see Grant finally do something positive, but it’s a case of too little too late in this lost season. Inexplicably, Kenyan Drake did not have a catch and the Dolphin TEs had just one catch (by newcomer AJ Derby). The OL was decent, but a few penalties killed some drives – none worse than a Ted Larsen personal foul in the red zone. An incredibly stupid play by a veteran that should know better. Overall, an uninspired, underwhelming effort from the offense.

The Miami defense was awful in this game, giving up tons of big plays and committing penalty after penalty. Since Gase doesn’t watch the defense play, he probably didn’t know just how bad this unit played till he watched the tape (assuming he even bothered to watch the defense). Missed tackles, wide open receivers, no pressure, a boatload of penalties…typical Dolphin defense. Alonso continues to be the worst player on the team, and the secondary continues to leave receivers wide open. This two strong safety system gets exposed in the passing game week after week, as Jones and especially McDonald are very poor in coverage (and are both making a ton of money). QB Alex Smith had a brilliant game for the Chiefs, highlighted by a big run in the third quarter that saw him avoid a Wake sack and escape a couple of other tackles to run for a first down. That play summarized the Dolphins’ sloppy game. I guess it’s good that Harris had a sack (only his second of the season), but overall it’s hard to say anything good about the defense’s performance.

This game really showed just how poorly the Dolphins are spending money. The highest-paid players on the team were all terrible: on offense, Cutler making a ton of poor throws, Pouncey getting pushed around and Stills losing a fumble; on defense, Wake missing a sack, Branch and Alonso getting abused on every down, Jones and McDonald with terrible coverage, Timmons being a total non-factor and Suh not justifying his enormous salary. It’s disgraceful how much money this front office has thrown away on underachieving, overrated players.

Anyway, the ridiculous playoff talk can finally end as we head into another offseason filled with uncertainty and doubt about the direction of this team. It would be nice if this team at least showed some heart next week by knocking the Bills out of playoff contention, but most likely Buffalo will trounce the pathetic Dolphins in embarrassing fashion.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Game 16 thoughts: Phins at Chiefs Empty Re: Game 16 thoughts: Phins at Chiefs

Post by scotgif Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:10 pm

That's just how we roll. I love when they talk about kiko and how they "ask him to do so many things". How bout "asking" him to actually COVER somebody. Amazing how they keep on "asking him" to cover TE's and he gets torched game in and game out.

Yeah, I too noticed gase with his head buried in papers sitting on the bench while the efense, (get it, no d) was on the field. Brutal.

For some players: Wake, we love you, but hang'e,m up. Less than a shell of himself. Safety play horrendous. McDonald came in with a no-cover reputation and he has certainly lived up to that. Jones did make a lot of plays around the ball on runs, but once again, just a step too late in pass coverage.

I say we need about 6-7 new faces on d next year. Say adios to timmons, branch, verner (damn, he sucks), fede, kiko.

Just love them 3rd and 20 bubble screens. As good as gase was at designing plays against the pats, he was that bad this game. Just loved the fade pattern on 4th in red zone to AJ Derby. Really? That'll teach you Drake for running so good in the first half. Just 4 second half carries when he was consistently ripping off 4-6 yard gains early. Jay was jay. We actually good "good Jay" in the first half and got regular sucky, inaccurate throw off the back foot jay in the 2nd. Only good thing about next week is we will be done with the jay cutler-boy toy experiment. It was a colossal fail.

Even our rookie punter had a brutal game with some booming 25 and 30 yarders.

Just another glorious day for us Dolfans.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:59 pm

scotgif wrote:Just loved the fade pattern on 4th in red zone to AJ Derby.

That play literally made me laugh out loud...so ridiculous.

I just don't understand how Gase calls a game. There's no rhyme or reason, no consistency, no understanding of the running game...just a series of plays that make me shake my head and say WTF. The playcalling was perfect against the Pats...but other than that, we've had 14 games of crap. Really tough to watch.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:53 pm

In my opinion, Gase is one of these coordinators that when his script works to perfection he looks like a genius, but if it veers even slightly off road, it ventures into emergency territory very quickly.

He has a hard time making adjustments that fit the situation.

Can everyone stop talking about re-signing Cutler please? I'd much rather roll with Tannehill and a new draft pick than Cutler and a new pick. Cutler is just so, so inconsistent, and when he checks out, he's in the cab before the luggage is out of the room.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down