The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game 13 thoughts: Chiefs at Dolphins

+4
CarsonChris
Degarmo
DolFan 316
JMP
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Game 13 thoughts: Chiefs at Dolphins Empty Game 13 thoughts: Chiefs at Dolphins

Post by JMP Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:36 pm

The Dolphins took on the 11—1 Chiefs in Miami today, but just didn’t have enough firepower to steal a victory.  Despite jumping out to an early 10-0 lead, the Dolphins lost 33-27.

The Dolphins went 3 and out on the game’s opening drive, as Jakeem Grant dropped a perfectly-thrown deep pass on 3rd and long.  Grant is supposed to be the team’s big play receiver, but the problem is he can’t catch.  We’ll revisit that theme later.

The defense started good for the Phins.  On the Chiefs’ first possession, Andrew Van Ginkel batted a pass that was intercepted by Byron Jones.  Unfortunately, the turnover led to no points as Jason Sanders missed a 45-yard FG.  That was a sign that that this wasn’t going to be the Dolphins’ day. You simply cannot waste opportunities against the Chiefs.

On the Chiefs’ second possession, Jerome Baker had a 30-yard sack on 3rd down that set the Dolphins up with good field position.  On the ensuing drive Tua Tagovailoa found Mike
Gesicki for a TD to go up 7-0.  Tua rolled out left and threw across his body, and Gesicki spun into the endzone for the score.  Very nice play.

Eric Rowe then got an INT, but on the Phins’ drive DeVante Parker failed to catch a nice high-point pass by Tua in the endzone on 3rd down.  The Phins had to settle for a FG to go up 10-0.  At this point, I knew the Phins were in trouble.  Again, you can’t make mistakes against this Chiefs team.

Late in the first half, Tua threw another bomb to Grant.  He couldn’t get it and it ended up getting picked.  That led to a Chiefs TD to put them up 14-10 at the half.  I don’t know how else to say it: Grant sucks.  The game was essentially over at that point, though the Phins did make a comeback late.  

The second half got ugly fast.  It was 28-10 before you could blink, with the KC scoring including a bomb to Tyreek Hill and a punt return TD by Mecole Hardman. The Miami offense had to play the second half without Parker and Grant, both of whom left with leg injuries, LT Austin Jackson left the game in the 3rd quarter, and Gesicki got injured in the 4th.  The Phins probably lose anyway, but you have to wonder what the results would have been if Gesicki and Parker had remained in the game.

Midway through the 3rd quarter, the Chiefs were going in for a score to go up 35-10 when Byron Jones forced a fumbled that was recovered by Kamu Grugier-Hill deep in Miami’s end.  That led to a KC safety as the Miami OL got destroyed and Tua got sacked in the endzone.  With the score now 30-10, things looked bleak.  

But, the Dolphins refused to quit and made things interesting in the 4th quarter.  Here are some highlights:  
-- An INT by Xavien Howard, his 5th consecutive game with a pick and his 9th of the season. That was the Dolphins’ third pick of Mahomes.
-- A TD by Tua to Gesicki.  The 29-yard pass saw Tua thread the needle to a triple-covered Gesicki, who went up to snatch the ball away from a defender for the score.  
-- Tua led a 75-yard drive culminating in a sneak for a TD to put the Phins back in the game, down 30-24.  Unfortunately, the defense couldn’t stop the Chiefs on the ensuing drive and gave up a game-sealing FG.  Miami did stop the Chiefs on a 3rd and 1 stuff by Christian Wilkins, but the Chiefs easily converted on 4th down.  The Chiefs’ drive was also aided by a facemask penalty on Howard.
-- Overall, the Dolphins outscored the Chiefs 17-3 in the 4th quarter, but in the end it was a case of too little, too late.

Quick thoughts on Tua.  At the end of the third quarter I was preparing to write about how bad Tua was today.  I know we have no receivers and no running game, but I expected more from Tua.  He missed some throws and held the ball too long.  But, I do have to give credit where it’s due: Tua led the Phins to 17 4th quarter points and was absolutely dealing at the end, despite having no one to throw to.  He finished the day with a career-high 316 yards.  I was very impressed with Tua’s poise and accuracy as he tried to lead a comeback.   And, kudos to Patrick Laird for some tough running late.

The Dolphins fell to 8-5, and are still in the thick of the playoff race.  While any loss is bad, the next two games – against the Patriots and Raiders - are arguably more important than today’s game for the Dolphins as they try to make the postseason.  I don’t believe in moral victories, but the Dolphins showed tremendous heart today as they mounted a huge comeback against the league’s best team.  While they fell short, they can hold their heads high and know that they at least competed and didn’t lay down and die.  

Hero of the Game: I’ll give it to Mike Gesicki for scoring two TDs.  Honorable mention to Jerome Baker for getting 2.5 sacks and Byron Jones for having an INT and forced fumble.

Goat of the Game: Jakeem Grant. Grant dropped two bombs that may have changed the game.  Absolutely unacceptable, and a putrid performance by the veteran receiver.  Dishonorable mention to left tackle Austin Jackson, who got beat over and over again at left tackle.

Beer of the Game: Montauk Cold Day IPA

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Game 13 thoughts: Chiefs at Dolphins Empty Re: Game 13 thoughts: Chiefs at Dolphins

Post by JMP Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:39 pm

I didn't mention him, but cheers to Lynn Bowden for leading the team in both catches and receiving yards, with 7 for 82. Looks like we may have found ourselves a reliable slot receiver. Dude has some juice.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Game 13 thoughts: Chiefs at Dolphins Empty Re: Game 13 thoughts: Chiefs at Dolphins

Post by JMP Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:55 pm

The biggest takeaway from this game is something we already knew: WE NEED RECEIVERS AND RUNNING BACKS...DESPERATELY!!!!

I am generally not a fan of drafting receivers and especially backs in round 1, but those two positions are CLEARLY the biggest needs on the team - and it's not close. Playmakers win games these days - period. And we don't have any. I am 100% on board with WR and RB in round 1. Draft Devonta Smith/Jamarr Chase with the first pick, and trade down and take Najee Harris at the bottom of the first. Do it.

yes, we need to keep building OL and DL. Yes, we need a LB and another pass rusher. But even withoutvthose things, we are competing. WR and RB could put us over the top.

If we had real receivers today, Tua has over 400 yards and we win. I truly believe that.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:59 pm

Could be worse, you could have a splitting sinus headache like me.

8-8 wouldn't be the end of the world, given how this team started last season. They've already come so far so fast and in a manner that's not just a flash in the pan like the last two times. Last year's team loses to KC by 30 minimum.

How many of these players will even be able to play next week is my question. Seems like literally the entire starting receiving corp is down now.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:03 pm

Totally unrelated to the game itself, but I fucking despise the announcing team of Nance and Romo. Romo was on his knees blowing Mahomes and the Chiefs all fucking game, and Nance just talks out of his ass. People seem to love these assclowns for some reason, but I think they suck. They don't call the game impartially at all - not just today, but every week. Fuck those pieces of shit. Fuck 'em with a big rubber dick, as Carlin once said.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:05 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:Could be worse, you could have a splitting sinus headache like me.

8-8 wouldn't be the end of the world, given how this team started last season. They've already come so far so fast and in a manner that's not just a flash in the pan like the last two times. Last year's team loses to KC by 30 minimum.

How many of these players will even be able to play next week is my question. Seems like literally the entire starting receiving corp is down now.  

The injuries are piling up at an alarming rate. It's crazy.

I still think we end up 10-6, beating the Pats and Raiders and losing to Buffalo. Playoffs are not a guarantee, but at least we have a chance.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:10 pm

JMP wrote:Totally unrelated to the game itself, but I fucking despise the announcing team of Nance and Romo.  Romo was on his knees blowing Mahomes and the Chiefs all fucking game, and Nance just talks out of his ass.  People seem to love these assclowns for some reason, but I think they suck.  They don't call the game impartially at all - not just today, but every week.  Fuck those pieces of shit.  Fuck 'em with a big rubber dick, as Carlin once said.

And this is different than they usually are exactly how again? Razz

I'm surprised some of you guys don't just watch the games on mute, a growing number of people do. Either that or they just listen to the radio feed, I hear Boomer Esiason's pretty good doing that gig.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:14 pm

JMP wrote:
DolFan 316 wrote:Could be worse, you could have a splitting sinus headache like me.

The injuries are piling up at an alarming rate.  It's crazy.

I still think we end up 10-6, beating the Pats and Raiders and losing to Buffalo.  Playoffs are not a guarantee, but at least we have a chance.

You had to know injuries would be a factor in a season without the already severely curtailed practice time. I'm actually shocked that there hasn't been more TBH.

10-6 and no playoffs sucks, and it seems that every team that's had a season like that has been worse the next season and sometimes the next few. '15 Jets, did it and have sucked since. '03 Fins did it and never got back to the playoffs for 5 years. '12 Bears did it and couldn't reach the playoffs for 6 years. That's just off the top of my head. I'd rather see 8-8 or 9-7 than 10-6 and no playoffs, at least that way draft position's improved a little. But I'll still root for the Pats to lose always Twisted Evil

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:16 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:Totally unrelated to the game itself, but I fucking despise the announcing team of Nance and Romo.  Romo was on his knees blowing Mahomes and the Chiefs all fucking game, and Nance just talks out of his ass.  People seem to love these assclowns for some reason, but I think they suck.  They don't call the game impartially at all - not just today, but every week.  Fuck those pieces of shit.  Fuck 'em with a big rubber dick, as Carlin once said.

And this is different than they usually are exactly how again? Razz

I'm surprised some of you guys don't just watch the games on mute, a growing number of people do. Either that or they just listen to the radio feed, I hear Boomer Esiason's pretty good doing that gig.

It's not different at all - as I said, they do this shit every week. Today it just pissed me off because Romo was treating Tua like he was a garbage 7th round pick, and he was fellating Mahomes non-stop even after throwing three INTs.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:17 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:

The injuries are piling up at an alarming rate.  It's crazy.

I still think we end up 10-6, beating the Pats and Raiders and losing to Buffalo.  Playoffs are not a guarantee, but at least we have a chance.

You had to know injuries would be a factor in a season without the already severely curtailed practice time. I'm actually shocked that there hasn't been more TBH.

10-6 and no playoffs sucks, and it seems that every team that's had a season like that has been worse the next season and sometimes the next few. '15 Jets, did it and have sucked since. '03 Fins did it and never got back to the playoffs for 5 years. '12 Bears did it and couldn't reach the playoffs for 6 years. That's just off the top of my head. I'd rather see 8-8 or 9-7 than 10-6 and no playoffs, at least that way draft position's improved a little. But I'll still root for the Pats to lose always Twisted Evil

If we only win 9 games but beat the Pats, I'll be OK with that. Twisted Evil

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:19 pm

Grant can go, Parker can go (too much time nursing injuries), we need an entire running back corps and a minimum of 2 starting receivers.

Durability and ability, as old Mad Dog used to say.

As far as this game goes, they screwed it early on in this game when KC handed them the game and the Phins said, "We're good, we'll just get 10 points instead."

Lots of little mistakes, and the comeback at the end was not as impressive as was highlighted.

Tua has a nice zip to his passes, and he seems to be improving each week, which is what I wanted to see this season. I thought under Fitzmoustache we would be 6-10, so we're already into gravy territory to me. If we can reach 10 wins, I'll consider this season an amazing success, and Flores should be given Coach of the Year, because honestly, this roster is 65 percent scrubs/backups, in my worthless opinion Wink.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:25 pm

I assure you that this isn't sour grapes, but on the Chiefs' punt return TD they committed not one but TWO penalties: a block in the back and a hold. Obviously, neither were called. I knew it was uncharacteristic of the Phins' STs to give up a play like that...now I know how it happened.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:28 pm

Degarmo wrote:the comeback at the end was not as impressive as was highlighted.  

Really? We outscored the Chiefs 17-3 in the 4th, and took the score from 30-10 to 30-24. The Chiefs were only rushing 4 almost every down at that point, and Tua still managed to complete passes to bottom-dwelling skill players and score two TDs. That might have been the most impressive 4th quarter I've seen in years given the players we had on offense.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:43 pm

It's like Jmp's prediction back in '06 was so astoundingly absurdly astonishingly amazing, that it was decided he could never be allowed to duplicate it again lest the universe be destroyed Razz

(Seriously, that moment is one of the things my future selves will want to remember about this particular lifetime.)

EDIT: '07 Browns also went 10-6 without making the playoffs. How'd that work out for them? 10 wins and no playoffs is NOT the road I want to go down.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:50 pm

Yeah, I think I blew my load on that '06 prediction. pale

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:11 pm

I will take wins over losses. Even if we don’t make the playoffs. There’s something about learning to win.

This team really sucks at the skill positions on offense. Tua is doing better than I expected and that is a surprise to me. I thought he was a guaranteed bust. No running game, receivers with bad hands. The next draft has to be to find some skill players on offense and adding more to the pass rush.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:00 pm

I want to Win but The Old Fins Would Have Lost 44-10 instead of Fighting Back and even having a Chance with a 4th down stop or missed Fg of maybe a Miracle with the Scout Team receiving Corp, going to Rewatch Tomorrow. The 9 Points Given up by Special Teams and Offense Hurt and the Holding was so Obvious on the Punt Return.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:12 am

the Dolphins won the turnover battle 4 to 1. the Dolphins had more first downs and a better 3rd down conversion rate. the Dolphins had fewer than half the number of penalties. the Dolphins had a better redzone conversion rate. the Dolphins won time of possession. and yet the Dolphins still lost this game.

KC was able to gash the defense for chunk plays when they needed to. Mahomes was able to connect on the deep passes that Tua could not - be it because of drops or otherwise. KC averaged 9.6 yards per pass play to Miami's paltry 5.4. KC made splash plays like the safety (Tua needs to get rid of that ball) and punt return TD (due to missed penalties) while Miami missed a FG.

in the end, Miami lost to a better team with much better offensive (healthy) weapons. but this is just one game and the Dolphins still survive and qualify for the playoffs for now. but far more concerning for me is what will happen moving forward now that Gesicki is hurt - perhaps significantly. will Parker return or will this leg injury nag him the rest of the way? even when he was playing in the first half, he was only targeted twice both incompletions (one a drop). it would also be nice to get Gaskins back - while not special, he is the best of the bunch. i believe(d) Miami could beat NE and LV and potentially Buffalo with a healthy squad...but without Gesicki and less than healthy Parker and Gaskins, Miami is going to need some defensive and special teams splash/scoring plays to get back on track.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:07 pm

Gesicki would be a HUGE loss...possibly a season-destroying loss. He's that important. Tua has really developed great chemistry with him.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:01 pm

It's always bad news if a rookie QB loses his tight end. They're like young QB security blankets.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:38 pm

Just watched again and I know we Don’t like Throwing to Grant But on the Endzone Pass to Parker, Grant was Standing by himself at the 5 yard line for an easy TD if he catches it. That 2nd TD Pass to 88 was a Sweet Pass and what I really like is he wasn’t scared to throw it What I Love about KC Offense is how they make the Chunk Plays look so easy, Hopefully Next Season we will be able to do it.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:05 am

Great thoughts, this was a heart breaker after getting some quick success on defense and starting out to a 10-0 lead. The level heads on this board illustrate how serious we are as fans priding themselves on being a student of the game.

I was certainly pleased to see Tua respond again to adversity and show that he's a gamer that won't quit. This is the kind of experience that's invaluable to a rookie QB. Flores made the right call in putting him in the game weeks ago - that is going to payoff for us not only the rest of this year but next year too.

Agree that Tua missed Grant open over the middle. He saw Parker 1-1 and felt he could get the TD that way. It was a great throw, and we've seen Parker high point those passes and come down with the ball. He's clearly not 100% and I tend to agree with whoever said it - he's just not reliable enough, he's always hurt. Last season seems to be an outlier. He's playing this year, but it's clear he's injured and that makes something like 5 of his first 6 seasons he's dealing with something. It's time to move on, unfortunately. All the skill in the world just too fragile.

Grant is really in the dog house. All the speed in the world but his hands are below average. Good for returning kicks and end-around plays, but not a receiver we can count on. I don't recall the contract details, but we need that roster spot for a legitimate receiving weapon. He won't be here much longer IMO.

Gesicki is really coming in and I see him here long term. I'm hoping Shaheen or one of the other tight ends continue to develop as a complementary piece especially in two TE sets. I would offer that IMO the other skill position areas must take priority over TE. We have a really good weapon and a little bit of depth there.

Running back and receiver are clear needs. Watching Chubb run against Baltimore last night, made me think wow when is the last time I saw a back like that in Miami? Not since Ricky IMO, excepting that streak where Ajayi was on fire.

I'm still hesitant to bypass OL and Edge rusher in the draft, however. An athletic guard that can pull would be a clear upgrade over Flowers, and would also help our rushing attack. One more edge weapon on defense will force offenses to deal with R Davis in the middle, and pass block against one or more of Ogbah, Lawson, Wilkins and Van Noy.

Grier and Flores have acquired talent well enough to trust them. I'm interested to see what they do this offseason, in both FA and the draft.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:58 pm

white1 wrote:
I'm still hesitant to bypass OL and Edge rusher in the draft, however.  An athletic guard that can pull would be a clear upgrade over Flowers, and would also help our rushing attack.  One more edge weapon on defense will force offenses to deal with R Davis in the middle, and pass block against one or more of Ogbah, Lawson, Wilkins and Van Noy.  

Grier and Flores have acquired talent well enough to trust them.  I'm interested to see what they do this offseason, in both FA and the draft.

OL, ILB and pass rusher are all definite big needs. But I think we can find strong options throughout the draft at those positions. The exceptions are Sewell at OL and Parsons at LB. Those guys are clearly the best at their respective positions and there's a big drop-off after them IMO. Honestly, I don't think we'll be in position to get either of them unless we trade up - which I would be very hesitant to do - but I don't think I could pass on one of them if they fall in our lap.

At RB, there's a colossal difference between Etienne, Harris and the rest of the group. Yes, you can always find a back later in the draft - but those two guys are elite. Harris, in particular, looks like an ideal fit for this offense.

And then at WR, it is a strong group overall - but guys like Smith, Chase and Waddell are in a different class. In the past couple of weeks I'm starting to worry less about Smith's small frame...he's just SO good. Amazing route runner (which is the key for young receivers for me), great hands and excellent speed - and he played with Tua.

Here's my bottom line: what moves the needle the most and gets us from a 10-win team to a 13 or 14-win team? At this stage, I think offensive playmakers are the answer. Fortunately, as you said, I trust Grier and his staff to bring in the right guys - and I also trust them to fill all our glaring needs with the cap space and boatload of picks we have. It will be another interesting offseason for sure!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:27 pm

I'm of the opinion that Tua will excel with tall, big bodied receivers. He's good with placing the ball in that "only catchable by the receiver" spot, and I think that's why he's doing so well with Gesicki. I'd draft talented tall receivers and not worry about outrunning the competition with excess speed. Whatever it takes to move the chains. I'll take a tall guy over an average-height coverage back over a fast guy any day. You'll get a lot more completions out of the tall guy (assuming both have good hands).

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:47 pm

Degarmo wrote:I'm of the opinion that Tua will excel with tall, big bodied receivers.  He's good with placing the ball in that "only catchable by the receiver" spot, and I think that's why he's doing so well with Gesicki.  I'd draft talented tall receivers and not worry about outrunning the competition with excess speed.  Whatever it takes to move the chains.  I'll take a tall guy over an average-height coverage back over a fast guy any day.  You'll get a lot more completions out of the tall guy (assuming both have good hands).

Not a great draft for taller receivers.  The top three receivers (all first rounders) are all on the shorter side:
Devonta Smith - 6'1", 175, reminds me of a skinnier, faster Marvin Harrison
Ja'marr Chase - 6', 205, a possible Anquan Boldin type if he can add some weight
Jaylen Waddle - looks like a Tyreek Hill clone at 5'10", 185

For bigger receivers the only guy I see going early is Terrace Marshall from LSU, 6'4", 200. He looks like a special player - could move up to the first round, but right now seems like most people have him in round 2

Not really any other noteworthy tall receivers on my list, although I think Florida's Trevon Grimes could be a sleeper...6'4", 215.

In free agency, we could make a run at Kenny Golladay (6'4") or Allen Robinson (6'3"), if either one actually hits free agency and the Phins want to back up the Brinks truck.

Last edited by JMP on Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next