The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phins plan for Fitzpatrick

4 posters

Go down

Phins plan for Fitzpatrick Empty Phins plan for Fitzpatrick

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:43 am

this is something i meant to bring up last week. do you agree with how Miami is apparently handling Fitzpatrick?

It’s different that the Dolphins have a big plans for making Fitzpatrick something of a hybrid. It’s different that they’re doing this knowing Fitzpatrick has never played an NFL game.

And yet during a typical training camp practice the past two weeks, Fitzpatrick will play free safety.

And strong safety.

And nickel cornerback in the slot.

And even a little outside cornerback in some walk-thru practices the team does in the evenings when no one is watching. So yes, Fitzpatrick’s also working in some dime (six defensive back) situations.

“It’s been difficult. I’ve made my mistakes,” Fitzpatrick said.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article216034750.html

and yet not listed as starting at any of the positions. would the Phins be better off settling at one position for this young player and letting him excel before attempting to create this hybrid player? i think its great that he's good at all these positions, but if he's not on the field as a starter, what good does it do?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Phins plan for Fitzpatrick Empty Re: Phins plan for Fitzpatrick

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:35 am

This "make every player a jack of all trades but a master of none" approach by Gase (and other modern day NFL coaches) annoys me to no end. But then again, few things about the modern NFL *don't* annoy me at this point.

As long as Gase is around, Fitz will seem like a bust because he'll never get comfortable with all the shifting around he'll be asked to do, which will in Gase's mind justify never starting him even as the D hemorrhages yards and points yet again.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:11 pm

I'm not really a fan of a rookie having to learn so many different positions at once. It increases his learning curve, puts more pressure on him, and also breaks up continuity throughout the defense. I'd much rather let Fitzpatrick become great at one position - preferably free safety - and then, over time, more can be added to his plate. Trying to learn technique and nuances for a given position becomes much harder when you have to learn several positions at the same time, and that is further compounded by how infrequently teams practice these days. I think this is just setting up Fitzpatrick for early-season struggles.

Of course, the Dolphins are doing the same thing on offense with Albert Wilson, lining him up at every WR position and even RB.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:08 pm

He's a free safety.

We've needed a free safety for 20 years.

Let him play free safety.

I'm a fucking genius. cheers

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down